Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Patmwgs wrote: »
    If you order from the uk and have a friends address in northern ireland it saves all the brexit bull. Someone else mentioned parcel hotel.

I ordered a Wallbox Pulsar Plus from Wallbox through Amazon.co.uk, total cost including import duty was €710, that is €200 less than ordering direct on the Wallbox site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

For those doing limited milages or regularly parking their cars for 10 to 12 hours overnight wouldn't one of these with a Granny cable be an awful lot less hassle; https://electric-star.com/en/electric-vehicles/greenup-access-16a-reinforced-wall-outlet-legrand/
    Yes, charging at 7.2kw or 7.4kw depending on the car would be nicer especially if the grant pays a good proportion of it but I figure I top up my phone and laptop overnight so I can afford to top up my car overnight.
    Low speed charging may be less efficient but it certainly is less hassle than trying to negotiate the hurdles of getting a Mode3 charger and will do for most until Mode3 chargers(and cars) become cheaper and more standardised.
    Robert Llewellyn was complaining about his Zappi charger not liking the ID4 with blame being put by him on the ID4.

More on the Green 'Up standard (in German)
    https://www.professional.legrand.de/fileadmin/downloads/PDF/Legrand/Professional%20Broschueren/W19021_Green_Up_Ladestationen_Broschuere_LoRes.pdf

My granny cable is Green 'Up compatible.

How is it less hassle? Your still going to need to put that plug on its own circuit to be able to give 16a continuous so it's pretty much as much work for a sparks to install and then you can't get the grant either. You can get dumb, non tethered charge points for just a small bit over double the price of that plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Alkers wrote: »
    How is it less hassle? Your still going to need to put that plug on its own circuit to be able to give 16a continuous so it's pretty much as much work for a sparks to install and then you can't get the grant either. You can get dumb, non tethered charge points for just a small bit over double the price of that plug.

What and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

I am getting a charger installed shortly and had a look at my electric ireland account and it says i have a three phase 100amp supply, and i know that its just single phase installed in the meter cabinet. Makes no sense. Anyone else with this on their Bill?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vectra wrote: »
    What and where?

The above plug is priced at €99. It still needs a dedicated wire and CU space so useless, you may as well run the correct cable and RCBO to allow a proper EVSE.

EVOnestop in the uk sell the QUBEV 32a/7kw charger. I had it delivered for €231 in January.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Half thinking of moving my charge point, cable now buried, can someone remind me the size required for 32a, can't for the life of me remember was it 6 or 8 with say 9m run

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Half thinking of moving my charge point, cable now buried, can someone remind me the size required for 32a, can't for the life of me remember was it 6 or 8 with say 9m run

6Sq. Generally speaking.
    But there may be a calculation based on length of run etc ( saying this as I’m not a REC, so don’t want you to think I’m giving expert advice).

slave1 wrote: »

www.cable-ratings.co.uk

Gumbo wrote: »
    The above plug is priced at €99. It still needs a dedicated wire and CU space so useless, you may as well run the correct cable and RCBO to allow a proper EVSE.

EVOnestop in the uk sell the QUBEV 32a/7kw charger. I had it delivered for €231 in January.

was that including any duties?
    Seems like a decent price.

was that including any duties?
    Seems like a decent price.

That was to the door. I bought it through their Amazon page.

• Advertisement

That was to the door. I bought it through their Amazon page.

Sounds good,
    So just get a registered electrician to install.
    Can the grant still be applied for if I get passed for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ak_87

HI

I was talking to an electrician recently, who said that they are now allowed connect ev charger to the meter box which for me is a lot more convenient.

I cant find any information on this change.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

what this thread needs is a table with the potential chargers that you can buy in Ireland, costs, pros / cons.

Can someone more knowledgeable than I rustle one up?

Good man Gumbo - willing to start us off - please fill in anything you think relevant for hte QUBEV @ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zZxJRf4aVJVPjpQNFGUK3gO2WD5W1z9N8l4IuJ1TX8Y/edit?usp=sharing

Sounds good,
    So just get a registered electrician to install.
    Can the grant still be applied for if I get passed for one?

Yep.
    My dads total outlay was €231 for the charger, installation, certification and an outdoor socket on the other side of the house.

Good man Gumbo - willing to start us off - please fill in anything you think relevant for hte QUBEV @ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zZxJRf4aVJVPjpQNFGUK3gO2WD5W1z9N8l4IuJ1TX8Y/edit?usp=sharing

I’ll attempt it when back on the PC.
    Just one thing, you have an 11kw option. There won’t be many, if any at all for home chargers as that requires 3 phase power connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Ak_87 wrote: »
    HI

I was talking to an electrician recently, who said that they are now allowed connect ev charger to the meter box which for me is a lot more convenient.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

Ak_87 wrote: »
    HI

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Yep. As above. Only available with the correct precautions since March 2021 and should be last resort too.

I’ll attempt it when back on the PC.
    Just one thing, you have an 11kw option. There won’t be many, if any at all for home chargers as that requires 3 phase power connection.

yeah I just brainfarted a few things onto a sheet to be honest with you - hopefully people will edit / fix forward etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The guy from Battery Life installed an innovative home charging solution, can't wait to see what a REC makes of this :D

Jokes aside this could be the only realistic solution for home charging for some folks who don't have designated parking. Assuming of course that it can be done in line with health and safety regs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The guy from Battery Life installed an innovative home charging solution, can't wait to see what a REC makes of this :D
    The gardners will have their own views on it as well.
    He said he had 2.2v charging. I don't know why he couldn't step it up to 3.7 with a 16amp plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Ak_87

Yep. As above. Only available with the correct precautions since March 2021 and should be last resort too.

Great thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The gardners will have their own views on it as well.
    He said he had 2.2v charging. I don't know why he couldn't step it up to 3.7 with a 16amp plug.

I think the granny lead with the ID.3 is rated for 10A

He could use the Metron cable with a converter to 16A single phase, but I guess he had 3 phase to begin with so why not use it.

He did say he got the charger for free, which I guess was the Metron charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

I bought a Model 3 and am looking for a charger. Has anyone got experience of the Electric Ireland EO Mini for €899 pre grant installed? What is the quality of the work like? I think they are installed by KN Networks.

I bought a Model 3 and am looking for a charger. Has anyone got experience of the Electric Ireland EO Mini for €899 pre grant installed? What is the quality of the work like? I think they are installed by KN Networks.

Cyrus in here got it.
    It’s a great neat little charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Where do you see that deal? Would you have a link please. Cheapest I see on their site is €1099.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

deadlast wrote: »
    Where do you see that deal? Would you have a link please. Cheapest I see on their site is €1099.

If you ring them, they have the EO mini non-pro charger for €899 for the tethered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Is an earth rod needed for any installs in the ROI?

It seems to be a subject of dispute in the UK, depending on the particular make and model of EVSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whodeeny

Going through a bit of a mare getting EI to install the mini pro 2 here. They can't give me a straight answer on whether the 1099 price includes solar compatiblity. They also came out initially, told me I needed the ESB to install an isolator in the meter box for them to proceed. I did that (cost €130 to the ESB) l. Then they cancelled the day before their electrician was to come back to do the charger install. Apparently they can't install from the meter yet because they are working on updating terms and conditions between KN group and electric Ireland. Could be a month or more before they got that sorted out.

Considering cancelling my order, pissed off that I wasted 130 quid to the ESB for the isolator when I had 2 other electricians quote for the job and neither of them asked for an isolator to be put in.

But they were far cheaper then anyone else who quoted, by at least 200 quid.

• Advertisement

whodeeny wrote: »
    Going through a bit of a mare getting EI to install the mini pro 2 here. They can't give me a straight answer on whether the 1099 price includes solar compatiblity. They also came out initially, told me I needed the ESB to install an isolator in the meter box for them to proceed. I did that (cost €130 to the ESB) l. Then they cancelled the day before their electrician was to come back to do the charger install. Apparently they can't install from the meter yet because they are working on updating terms and conditions between KN group and electric Ireland. Could be a month or more before they got that sorted out.

Considering cancelling my order, pissed off that I wasted 130 quid to the ESB for the isolator when I had 2 other electricians quote for the job and neither of them asked for an isolator to be put in.

But they were far cheaper then anyone else who quoted, by at least 200 quid.
    I went with the sync ev charger for £500 +vat from uk, it also has solar integration, rcbo and no need for earth rod.

Advertisement