Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

podge3 wrote: »
    Is an earth rod needed for any installs in the ROI?

It seems to be a subject of dispute in the UK, depending on the particular make and model of EVSE.

Not at the moment I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I went with the sync ev charger for £500 +vat from uk, it also has solar integration, rcbo and no need for earth rod.

Why would you pay UK VAT if it was for immediate export (unless this was pre-Brexit)?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

slave1 wrote: »
    Why would you pay UK VAT if it was for immediate export (unless this was pre-Brexit)?
    If you want to avoid custom charges you need an adress in the north, you then have to pay the vat, also if you are not vat registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whodeeny

I went with the sync ev charger for £500 +vat from uk, it also has solar integration, rcbo and no need for earth rod.

Grand until you add the 400-500 quid that electricians are quoting to install it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

After a lot of research, I've come to the conclusion that the most cost effective EVSE is the Ohme.

I initially dismissed the Ohmes because they don't look all that great but I'll build a timber box or something to hide it.

I just got a used example from eBay for about €210 delivered, inclusive of customs. I only wish to use it as a dumb charger but was surprised to see the UK IOT SIM works here also so I have full smart control. The SIM coverage may not last but I'm not too concerned.

From my research, the commando, type 2 and wall mounted units are effectively all the same but with a different plug.

You can buy one from Ohmes Irish website for €450, although the price increased to €615 when I tried to buy🙄.

• Advertisement

Got the sync ev charger installed, it will churn out 7.4 kw a little more than most. I turned on electric shower to see the reaction and it throttled back to 6.5 input.
    Fingers crossed its reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Got the sync ev charger installed, it will churn out 7.4 kw a little more than most. I turned on electric shower to see the reaction and it throttled back to 6.5 input.
    Fingers crossed its reliable.

they all supply 32amps,
    If your voltage is 220v you'll get 7.04kw

If your voltage is 240v you'll get 7.68kw.

Charge points are just control circuitry for the car, and a beefy contactor that enables the power when everything is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Update on charger grant timeline:

Application sent: 8th March
    Acknowledgement received: 10th March
    Notification of payment: 29th April

So just a day over 7 weeks. Happy out.

I suggest folk follow up their grant applications, I did and got mine in 3 weeks, there’s no need for a simple paperwork review to take 7 weeks even if WFH.

KCross wrote: »
    Are you not already on a day/night meter? With a HP and an EV you should have a day/night meter already and that’s free to get. You don’t need a smart meter for that.

As I understand it, the smart meter will add a 3rd time period to the current two time periods. I think initially the idea is to add a 5-7pm tariff. If they go with that you can change your HP an EV timers to avoid that time period. You don’t need to wait for smart meters though. You should be on a day/night meter right now and Solar PV is a separate decision.

There is also the possibility that current Solar grants will get reduced when they bring in FiT so waiting might not help there either. Have a look at the Renewable Energy forum to get an idea of costs and generation figures etc.

Good luck either way.

Some interesting extra info people might find useful. I'm on a smart meter and have always been on 24hr rate. Just got an EV and installed home charger. Wanted to change my electric plan to energia's EV plan with day/night rate (night rate is 5c/kWh or close to that). Energia told me that my new smart meter can't do the old day/night rate and I can only go onto the new smart meter tarrifs or else their 24hr standard tarrif. The new smart tarrifs have significantly higher night rates (closer to 10c/kWh) and also a peak rate from 5-7pm. So in summary, the new smart meter that's being touted as better for customers actually looks like it will work out more expensive and include peak rates...

• Advertisement

whodeeny wrote: »
    Some interesting extra info people might find useful. I'm on a smart meter and have always been on 24hr rate. Just got an EV and installed home charger. Wanted to change my electric plan to energia's EV plan with day/night rate (night rate is 5c/kWh or close to that). Energia told me that my new smart meter can't do the old day/night rate and I can only go onto the new smart meter tarrifs or else their 24hr standard tarrif. The new smart tarrifs have significantly higher night rates (closer to 10c/kWh) and also a peak rate from 5-7pm. So in summary, the new smart meter that's being touted as better for customers actually looks like it will work out more expensive and include peak rates...

Yup, most of us have been saying that since smart meter tariffs were announced.

I have a large solar setup, and I havent run the numbers yet, but I'm not sure a feed in tariff would cover the increased night rate, for my usage.

Madness. And the esb said that when they set it up for day night rate that it cannot be reversed. And could take up to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I suggest folk follow up their grant applications, I did and got mine in 3 weeks, there’s no need for a simple paperwork review to take 7 weeks even if WFH.

Their SLA is 4-6 weeks so I wouldn’t go hassling them. You’ll get the money.

Wasn't hassling them at all, just a courtuous use of their chat facility, all good, any missing documents etc

This is why we should be careful letting the ESB put these in, in the early days they were saying it was mandatory which in BS after some folk said no.
    They will know a lot about you, a lot of privacy issues, see the Data Commissioner and Dail comments in this.
    Also, you lose night rate and will get pumped from 5pm to 7pm, see the way it went on UK.
    As above, I'm a PV owner but even if I get paid for exporting to the grid it's likely not worth it, they'll give you pennies with one hand and take pounds with the other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It just depends on time frame and build up.
    I got mine 2 years ago within 21 days from sending it in.

This year took 2 months due to WFH, ESB approval etc
    It’s a process and it fluctuates too.

Interestingly I lodged my paperwork for my PV grant this week so be interesting to see how long that takes.

Madness. And the esb said that when they set it up for day night rate that it cannot be reversed. And could take up to 12 months.

Yeah the energia guy was saying the ESB wouldn't be installing day/night smart meters for another year - which I didn't understand at all. Surely the smart meter reads electricity usage and when its used, why on earth would you need hardware updates to become a "day/night smart meter". Does that even exist?

Anyway, pretty annoyed about it, feels very much like an excuse to price hike being rolled out under the guise of "smart/eco".

If I'm stuck with the smart tarrifs I'll probably end up going with electric Ireland night boost plan, has 5c/kWh for 2 hrs in the middle of the night and try to cram as much into the EV then.

Thats what i hope to do also. I have an old smart meter with a modem that the esb said is cabable of taking three readings daily for day night and maybe tariffs, but electric ireland said its not suitable. Im on a list to change it.
    There 2 hour boost with home charger will top you up about 14kwh on its own. The whole smart meter is farsicle.

Thats what i hope to do also. I have an old smart meter with a modem that the esb said is cabable of taking three readings daily for day night and maybe tariffs, but electric ireland said its not suitable. Im on a list to change it.
    There 2 hoir boost with home charger will top you up about 14kwh on its own. The whole smart meter is farsicle.

Energia day/night rate will probably work out cheaper for you if they allow you to go on it with your meter, as you get the 5c night right for 7-8 hrs instead of only 2.

.. feels very much like an excuse to price hike being rolled out under the guise of "smart/eco".

That's it exactly

• Advertisement

Energia day/night rate will probably work out cheaper for you if they allow you to go on it with your meter, as you get the 5c night right for 7-8 hrs instead of only 2.

I think energias prices went up, and they wont do it for me either.

8.9% earlier this month

• Registered Users Posts: 9 asimp11

graememk wrote: »
    they all supply 32amps,
    If your voltage is 220v you'll get 7.04kw

If your voltage is 240v you'll get 7.68kw.

Charge points are just control circuitry for the car, and a beefy contactor that enables the power when everything is ready.

Yes sounds like simple voltage drop. CT monitor would drop it much more drastically to protect your main fuse if you were overloaded. Remember the ESB have to allow for power factor which adds around 3 amps to their system which we don't have to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Careful on the small print, my energia deal put a cap of 2000 on the night rate per billing period. Think it only went up a cent or two but il be more careful the next time, in winter between the heat pumps, pv battery, washing machine etc and two cars we went well over.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Their SLA is 4-6 weeks so I wouldn’t go hassling them. You’ll get the money.
    Running at 9 weeks at the moment. It was for me anyway.

I found them very difficult to get updates from.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

I'm looking to get an EV charger for my plugin hybrid. My current car can support max of 3.7KW charging, however I'd rather get one of the models that support 22KW so that there is no need to worry about replacing the charge point for the next car.

Given the following list of features (order of priority):
    * Capable up to 22KW
    * Load balancing
    * Can support using solar PV
    * Lockable socket
    * Discrete
    * Un-tethered (can you really have a discrete tethered???)

Currently it looks like I'm having to sacrifice a bit on the discrete and go with the zappi v2: https://ecarinfra.ie/collections/ev-at-home/products/zappi-v2-solar-connected

Am I missing any alternatives that would meet the above list of features in order of priority?

I'm looking to get an EV charger for my plugin hybrid. My current car can support max of 3.7KW charging, however I'd rather get one of the models that support 22KW so that there is no need to worry about replacing the charge point for the next car.

* Capable up to 22KW
    * Load balancing
    * Lockable socket
    * Discrete

Currently it looks like I'm having to sacrifice a bit on the discrete and go with the zappi v2: https://ecarinfra.ie/collections/ev-at-home/products/zappi-v2-solar-connected

Am I missing any alternatives that would meet the above list of features in order of priority?

You need a three phase supply for 22kw

* Capable up to 22KW
    * Load balancing
    * Lockable socket
    * Discrete

As others have said, you need a three phase supply for 22kW - max you can have on single phase is 7kw (32 amps)

An eo mini pro might work for you too. I think load management is included.

I don't think any of them are lockable, unless you mean the cable locks into place? Like it does on the car end?

You could put a lock on the isolator, or just power it off at your consumer unit, and I think the zappi has a pin to use option.

graememk wrote: »
    As others have said, you need a three phase supply for 22kW - max you can have on single phase is 7kw (32 amps)

An eo mini pro might work for you too. I think load management is included.

I don't think any of them are lockable, unless you mean the cable locks into place? Like it does on the car end?

You could put a lock on the isolator, or just power it off at your consumer unit, and I think the zappi has a pin to use option.

The sync ev charger has an rfid card for personal use only as a setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would recommend a charge point that uses a delivery from the EU rather than the UK.

My recent Zappi2 problem took almost 8 weeks for the replacement to arrive from Myenergi in the UK. Talking to an installer, they have had similar problems.

Advertisement