Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

tl;dr - 3-ph + 22kW req getting dropped unless the electrician indicates I will definitely need at least 20kVA special connection. If 16kVA is enough to cover our future reqs regarding a extension in a few years, then it's just not worth it as has been patiently explained to me a few times now.

Thanks, going to try and at least confirm about whether an enhanced or special connection would be needed based on some of the existing electrical flickers we've seen as well as the occasional trip. Based on all the feedback I've received so far, unless definitely will need a 20kVA in the future, at which point maybe it's a tighter decision, 3-ph isn't going to be worth considering. So I think can scrub 22kW capable from list of requirements.

I have to admit, despite reading the ESB doc on charges a few times, I did not read it properly and missed the details around special single phase. So yes, definitely looks much cheaper assuming just would need 16kVA than 3-phase. Maybe if 20kVA was going to be needed it requires a bit more checking on the costs.

It turns out the same electrician who will be hooking up my shed fits car chargers, so basically as he's done previous work on the house around water pressure pumps, electric shower, heating system upgrades, etc, he has a good idea on what is in the house and is just going to check what the usage is currently and then based on that and the plans around the shed, car charger, solar, and possible extension, he'll be able to explain where we are and how much additional ceiling would be useful.

I was thinking more for convenience, if we forget or there is an issue with charging overnight, being able to charge quickly would be useful, but I get the point, can probably charge enough to do a couple of km and plug it in to a higher power one elsewhere.

Thanks, it wasn't entirely clear from reading the product descriptions.

It's more if I'm running into issues with power consumption excluding the car charger, if I was going to need 3-phase for the extra power in the future figured might as well aim to be able to benefit from it. But it's pretty clear I should check what we're actually using right now before making any plans around future proofing on 3-ph for any charger.

That's good to know.

The solar is coming, I don't know if it'll definitely be next year, or have to wait until the following, more a case of timing.

I wasn't thinking about the 3-ph exporting more power. I have a feeling that the max I was expecting to produce would have been 4-5kW, so taking in the feedback, not enough for 3-ph to be of any benefit.

Actually looking at some of the set ups recently as well to understand if 3-ph would cause any issues here and I got the impression that it complicates use of battery storage for solar installations so it would likely impose some limitations there. So yes, I'm slowly backing away from the 3-ph.

It was more that I was thinking that our max power draw would be high enough that would end up needing to upgrade, however I definitely read the cost doc wrong so the different between the options are definitely prohibitive unless sure that I'll need it.

I'd guess that heaters, compressors, vacuum, and a table or mitre saw running at the same time would probably be the extent in the shed. Maybe our couple of electrical gremlins are just bad choices on how some lighting is wired on to the wrong circuit as something else thus causing the LEDs to blow in one of the rooms rather than loading the supply overall at certain times.

Understood, the 3-ph was about taking advantage of the higher power based on the assumption I would need to upgrade the supply even if not getting the car charger, making it potentially worth considering. However based on the feedback here, as he's doing both the shed and will be doing the car charger now, he's going to check the current power usage to see if any upgrade is needed and unless it needs a special connection it's off the table from what I've learned.

Indeed, I'm giving the list of the 4 options to the electrician to see if he's got any experience with those particular ones. I did uncover one thing that might make the sync ev and zappi v2 slightly more attractive than the eo mini pro2 and wallbox copper sb. The former two don't require separate earth rod or additional device. should reduce the fitting cost for both of those. The eo mini pro2 appears to recommend a Garo earthing device. The wallbox cobber sb mentions requiring an earthing rod, not sure if that is inter-changeable with the garo earthing device, but definitely a bit extra cost.

afaik earth rods are a uk requirement but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Cyrus wrote: »
    afaik earth rods are a uk requirement but not here.

Just had that confirmed by the electrician here today as well, so seems like the install is really just down to how complex the box is to fix to the wall and where the cable has to be run from.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Thanks for all the knowledge gleaned on this thread. My needs are simple as I’ll only occasionally have an EV and in an office environment I won’t need load balancing for showers etc.

I ordered a basic 32A Rolec with RCBO and DC protection built in for £350. There’s a sub board within 4m of where I want the charger on the other side of a wall and my sparks has confirmed that it’s more than up to the job.
    The whole thing should come in under €500 so it can be done without breaking the bank.
    I’m not grant eligible so it’s the right way to go for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for all the knowledge gleaned on this thread. My needs are simple as I’ll only occasionally have an EV and in an office environment I won’t need load balancing for showers etc.

I ordered a basic 32A Rolec with RCBO and DC protection built in for £350. There’s a sub board within 4m of where I want the charger on the other side of a wall and my sparks has confirmed that it’s more than up to the job.
    The whole thing should come in under €500 so it can be done without breaking the bank.
    I’m not grant eligible so it’s the right way to go for me.

Damn. I was just about put up an ad for a Garo 32a charger for €250. You could have saved even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Such is life.. Someone else can grab it and get a great deal.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Damn. I was just about put up an ad for a Garo 32a charger for €250. You could have saved even more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Here's my take

1. Consider a charger with load balancing if you have some heavy consumers of electricity in your house (heat pump, electric shower)
    2. Cable for a 32Amp (7kW) charger even if you're only getting a 3kW one. Swapping a charger later is much easier than running a new cable. Some people suggest running cat-6 cabling to your charger, I wouldn't say I see the point
    3. Zappi, EO Mini and Wallbox tend to get good reviews
    4. I guess there is a technical limit where the current drop is too high, but unless you're talking hundereds of metres you should be fine. I've about 15m of cable from my charger to fuse box and no issues
    5. You'll definitely need load balancing in this case, 2 EVs charging at 7kW will put you right at the limit for the enhanced ESB connection (16kVA).

2. Run the Cat6. Some chargers require it for load management
    3. For multiple chargers go for Zappi or Wallbox
    4. There is no limit on how long the cable run can be. You just need to increase the size of cabling after certain distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bakerie

See your PMs!

bakerie wrote: »
    See your PMs!

Thanks.
    I put the ad in adverts today and in the for sale sticky at the top of the forum. It was sold before lunch!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057599743&page=82

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just placed order on ID.3. Just re the charging unit What now? I want to install a zappi. Can I order it online and get our electrician to install it? Do I have to wait until car is registered in our name before applying for grant? I’d prefer to have it in before car comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

fits wrote: »
    I want to install a zappi. Can I order it online and get our electrician to install it?

Yes, as long as he is a registered electrician that can provide a cert.
    Do I have to wait until car is registered in our name before applying for grant?

No, but you do need grant approval letter before you do any work

Checkout the SEAI website. All the info is there.

• Advertisement

Zappi RCD problems
    I've had a few random RCD trips on my zappi (once a month approx).
    Seen a few others with the same problem on facebook.
    Contacted them and its a known fault so they are sending me a new unit.
    Just in case anyone else is having the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Very useful info, i must report mine as well. Cheers.

Very useful info, i must report mine as well. Cheers.

From their facebook
    "if you send an email to support@myenergi.com with “RCD Tripped” as the subject, together with your address, phone number and a picture of the sticker on the side of the zappi,"

I had to send them 3/4 other pictures from the service menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zappi RCD problems

Zappi v1 or v2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Zappi RCD problems

Our Zappi2 has just been replaced, but a different problem. Hope yours arrives a bit quicker, ours took almost 8 weeks due to Irish customs. Had to pay €131 before it was released.. (Myenergi to reimburse us)

eagerv wrote: »
    Had to pay €131 before it was released.. (Myenergi to reimburse us)

Zappi2

:(
    was there any problem getting the customs refund ?

Zappi2

:(
    was there any problem getting the customs refund ?

Hasn't been refunded yet, only about two weeks since we returned unit, probably hasn't arrived yet..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

any one get their ev grant into their bank account recently , im about 5 weeks waiting and just wondering how long its taking at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

After narrowing down my list of charge points to Zappi, Eo mini pro 2, Sync EV and Wallbox Copper SB, I showed them to my wife and Zappi came out as the preferred, partially due to my initial mentioning of app issues with the eo. Since someone here shared there is no real issue with the eo app I've gone back to see if I've missed anything, and the main place I'm struggling to get a handle on is the solar support. (I have to admit the neatness of the eo mini pro2 and sync ev chargers have grown on me, which is partially why I'm checking again).

Multiple mentions that if you're interested in solar, Zappi is the way, but I can't tell what it is that makes the integration better?

eo mini pro 2 is listed as having solar support, and although some websites list the sync ev as not having it, a user here has an install with solar integration.
    Patmwgs wrote: »
    I went with the sync ev charger for £500 +vat from uk, it also has solar integration, rcbo and no need for earth rod.

As far as I can tell solar integration involves a CT Clamp on the supply and one on line coming from the Solar PV install with software in the charger matching the charge to the Solar PV output to prevent pulling from the grid.

Both the Zappi and Eo have this (and presumably the sync ev unless it's some kind of custom set up?), is there something else the Zappi has that makes it easier to integrate that is missing from the other two? Or is this just good marketing and early mover for the Zappi? The only thing I can think of is possibly better battery integration support because I can't find anything on the eo or sync ev about it. Even for Zappi there isn't much mentioned, but I did come across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPVCidL9oA. The harvi with multiple CT clamps if you run out of hard wiring slots and settings around avoiding draining the battery for the Zappi are the only hint that I have that makes it easier to integrate with solar.

Got the grant approval on Friday, so lining up to complete the purchase soon.

Had to pay €131 before it was released.. (Myenergi to reimburse us)

Just got a DHL shipping confirmation from them.
    has this at the bottom.
    maybe they have the tax stuff sorted

Optional Services:
    Duties and Taxes Paid
    Residential Address
    Fuel Surcharge
    Brexit Adjustment
    Emergency Situation
    Estimated Delivery Date
    By: May 12, 2021

• Advertisement

Just ordered a car. When can I apply for the SEAI grant?

Just ordered a car. When can I apply for the SEAI grant?

Straight away.
    My neighbor had his installed before the car arrived!

Straight away.
    My neighbor had his installed before the car arrived!

Thanks but the portal is looking for some number from the dealer. Maybe I should ask them....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

T
    Thanks but the portal is looking for some number from the dealer. Maybe I should ask them....

You need the seai grant number from dealer. Its the number they are given when they apply for your grant for the car. Just ring them up, its no problem for them.

Our Zappi2 has just been replaced, but a different problem. Hope yours arrives a bit quicker, ours took almost 8 weeks due to Irish customs. Had to pay €131 before it was released.. (Myenergi to reimburse us)
    Just got a DHL shipping confirmation from them.
    has this at the bottom.
    maybe they have the tax stuff sorted

Optional Services:
    Duties and Taxes Paid
    Residential Address
    Fuel Surcharge
    Brexit Adjustment
    Emergency Situation
    Estimated Delivery Date
    By: May 12, 2021

Ours came with UPS and was last February when sent. I think parcel post was at it's worst around then. Hope yours comes quickly..

Patmwgs wrote: »
    T

You need the seai grant number from dealer. Its the number they are given when they apply for your grant for the car. Just ring them up, its no problem for them.

Dealer says no grant number until car is in the country.

Dealer says no grant number until car is in the country.

Then you have to wait :(
    Now another hurdle is getting the grant payment processed without the car as you need photos of the car reg etc

My neighbor got his as he bought a Kona and the garage we’re doing the charger so I’d say they took the hit until payment time.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

Zappi RCD problems

I had same issue, got a replacement just before Brexit finished (or started!)
    They should have issued a recall, rather than allowing the unit to let people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

MyEnergi mentioned to me that due to the semiconductor shortage at the moment they are experiencing delays in getting products out to people. Could be a generic excuse for shipping delays or could be real enough, who knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Here are the steps to set up scheduling, courtesy of Mark in epower.ie:

1. From the home screen, press the down arrow until "Eco+" is selected
    2. Press the menu button (The three lines button on the left)
    3. Press the down arrow until charger settings
    4. Press +
    5. Press the down arrow until boost timer
    6. Press +
    7. Input time, durations and days
    8. Press the menu button (The three lines button on the left)
    9. Make sure default mode is "Eco+"

To disable scheduling, select "fast" on the home screen

I'm glad to confirm that it works on my VW ID.4 :)

Advertisement