Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Yeah your probably right just overthinking it with Kids & Dog I don't want to have to get an electrician out if they do manage to break it,

The dog is a fair point if you feel it has the the propensity for chewing stuff! However, the car will be plugged in with the same cable for hours on end regardless, so if the dog is going to chew it he will find a time to get it if that's his thing!

When the car isnt charging the cable can be hung out of reach. There is a quite expensive charge point which stores/hides its tethered cable within itself..... big money though... https://andersen-ev.com/products/andersen-a2/

Any idea what length the cable is on the tethered cable? I don't see any mention on the Electric Ireland site

Most charge points have 5m cables but you can, depending on charge point, spec them for 7-10m too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Only reason I was thinking of untethered is so we can change the cable if it gets damaged or take it with us in the car

depends on where you are putting it, a lot of the tethered options look untidy, zappi isnt too bad and the andersen one is the best of them but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah that one is very tidy but also very pricey,

I'll probably just grab a simple wall bracket to tie up the cable and keep it out of the way.

Finally, anyone know what the lead time is for Electric Ireland installations?

Car will be ready 1st July so don't want to get caught out

I'll probably just grab a simple wall bracket to tie up the cable and keep it out of the way.

it depends on how often you need to plug in, most weeks we charge our etron once at the weekend and thats it, so for me untethered was the way to go as you cant see it from the front of the house.

i think the lead times are a week or two at the moment but worth calling them and booking in, no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

E-tron is nice I bet,

What's the recommend protocol for charging, leave it a few days and charge to full or always have it plugged in?

Friend has an ID3 and she has it always plugged in, anytime she comes back home even from a short spin she plugs it back in so its always on charge,

• Advertisement

E-tron is nice I bet,

What's the recommend protocol for charging, leave it a few days and charge to full or always have it plugged in?

Friend has an ID3 and she has it always plugged in, anytime she comes back home even from a short spin she plugs it back in so its always on charge,

depends on your usage i suppose, we get in the summer at least, circa 270km range in the e-tron for local driving (better on longer trips) and we probably only do 5-10 a day so i cant see the benefit in having it on charge all the time.

also you really want to make use of a night rate for charging as well, so my charger only charges from 1am to 9am or whatever the current night rate period is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think the Enyaq comes with the 3 pin charger, in which case you can just use a regular plug

It's slow and more hassle, but you won't be stuck

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ACAandCTA

I am purchasing an ID3, expect to get it in early July.

I built a house about 18 months ago,and had the electrician wire a charging point to exterior wall - no actual charger fitted.

I am looking to get a home charger but all that really needs to be done is to have it fitted on the exterior wall, as all the wiring is there.

I know that the SEAI grant says don't start any work until approved,but any idea if I can still claim the 600e on the basis that a)all the wiring has been done and b) I am now having someone install the home charger?

I have applied for the grant,but is anyone with experience of the forms able to confirm if I might still be able to claim the 600e?

I could try get the same electrician to fit it,if that would help?

ACAandCTA wrote: »
    I know that the SEAI grant says don't start any work until approved,but any idea if I can still claim the 600e on the basis that a)all the wiring has been done and b) I am now having someone install the home charger?

I have applied for the grant,but is anyone with experience of the forms able to confirm if I might still be able to claim the 600e?

I dont think you'll have any problem there.

You'll have a new invoice from the electrician, which will be dated after the date of your grant application, and that will be that.

I built a house about 18 months ago,and had the electrician wire a charging point to exterior wall - no actual charger fitted.

I am looking to get a home charger but all that really needs to be done is to have it fitted on the exterior wall, as all the wiring is there.

You just won't be able to claim for the works already done. Between the charger and installation it'll probably come to around €600 anyway so you won't miss out on much

You need to make sure you get your application approved before installing the charger

You won't be able to claim the money until the car arrives as you'll need either your SEAI EV grant number or the car's registration book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Thanks KCross and the Amazing Raisin.

Looks like an eo mini pro 2 is available for e587.50 online,and I'm sure/hopeful that the same electrician would not charge much to fit it, so should not be much over the 600e figure and as you say, claim the grant to offset against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not just the fitting, there is also an isolator switch required and post works testing and documentation.
    I'd imagine €100 and you are doing very well.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Looks like an eo mini pro 2 is available for e587.50 online,.

that is ex vat.

it is 711 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

From last February all new wiring must comply to IS10101 2020 in order to be certified. If a new rec comes to do this installation then he should require the new cabling to be compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

While in slow moving traffic yesterday noticed this shop on the main street in Castlemartyr, Co Cork. May be of interest to anyone in the area.
    The Zappi outside was live, but cable taped up..

ambGwHg.jpg

eagerv wrote: »
    While in slow moving traffic yesterday noticed this shop on the main street in Castlemartyr, Co Cork. May be of interest to anyone in the area.

ambGwHg.jpg

I wonder did they have someone plugging in at night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

That's probably a demo or something, looking at it on Streetview there's a trip hazard on the public footpath if anyone tried to use it, his insurance wouldn't be happy.

Great to see businesses like that popping up all the same.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Buffman wrote: »
    That's probably a demo or something, looking at it on Streetview there's a trip hazard on the public footpath if anyone tried to use it, his insurance wouldn't be happy.

Great to see businesses like that popping up all the same.

I'm thinking of something like this for mine as the cable would cross my front door...

https://www.chargehanger.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

electricus wrote: »
    I'm thinking of something like this for mine as the cable would cross my front door...

https://www.chargehanger.com

Ye, that looks like good value for €68 ex-shipping.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    Ye, that looks like good value for €68 ex-shipping.

is that a joke website :eek::P

• Advertisement

ambGwHg.jpg

Would want to be horrifically slow to be able to get much charge on the way past!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So is purchasing my zappi ev charging station tethered in black pre receipt of the letter of offer considered a commencement of works?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭who what when

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Got my EO Mini Pro installed yesterday. Ordered with Electric Ireland but you deal with KN Networks from then. Received two phone calls, as well as an email, in advance to confirm the details of the visit and screen for Covid issues. The installed was a lovely guy and did a nice, neat job. He was able to use the meter box, rather than having to go through the wall and into the main fuse board. Said that change only came in two weeks ago. Ideal!

Gave it a little test charge last night as the car was fully charged when I picked it up. Thanks for the advice.

Has anyone else been allowed to connect to the meter box rather than through the house to the main fuseboard?

I was through to KN networks yesterday and the lady was adament that this wasn't allowed. To be fair she was just reading off the screen and couldn't tell me why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi all,

This is a massive thread, so I'm sure this has been asked in some form before....

I have a LEAF24 which I bought 2nd hand just before the grant was made available for 2nd hand cars. So, I have a 32a charger installed which I paid for entirely myself, including the fitting. Because of that, my MPRN has not been associated with an EV or a charger to date.

We're buying a second EV (most likely ID3), so we're not stuck for charge as we can share the one unit for a while at least. When my charger was installed originally, we had electric patio heaters out the back, so there's a priority switch already here (the heaters have been disconnected).

Here's the question: does my electrician have to be registered with SEAI in order for me to get the grant? He's fully legit, not a chancer, but he's not registered with SEAI at the moment. Will it be acceptable if he does the job (I'll buy the charger myself) and provides the cert at the end, or will SEAI insist on something more?

I know I can get another wallpod and the installation done "all-in" for about €700ish, but I'm just afraid that if I have to go with an SEAI specific electrician, the cost will soar. Happy to be out of pocket €100 or so after the grant, but don't want to be fleeced.

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

Hi all,

This is a massive thread, so I'm sure this has been asked in some form before....

I have a LEAF24 which I bought 2nd hand just before the grant was made available for 2nd hand cars. So, I have a 32a charger installed which I paid for entirely myself, including the fitting. Because of that, my MPRN has not been associated with an EV or a charger to date.

We're buying a second EV (most likely ID3), so we're not stuck for charge as we can share the one unit for a while at least. When my charger was installed originally, we had electric patio heaters out the back, so there's a priority switch already here (the heaters have been disconnected).

Here's the question: does my electrician have to be registered with SEAI in order for me to get the grant? He's fully legit, not a chancer, but he's not registered with SEAI at the moment. Will it be acceptable if he does the job (I'll buy the charger myself) and provides the cert at the end, or will SEAI insist on something more?

I know I can get another wallpod and the installation done "all-in" for about €700ish, but I'm just afraid that if I have to go with an SEAI specific electrician, the cost will soar. Happy to be out of pocket €100 or so after the grant, but don't want to be fleeced.

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

I believe any electrician registered with the RECI is eligible to claim the grant

You'll need the test cert from the installation for the claim which should be proof by itself that your electrician is registered

I think in the UK the installer claims the grant rather than the customer, so they probably need to be registered with whatever the equivalent of SEAI is there. Maybe that's what your installer was thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I believe any electrician registered with the RECI is eligible to claim the grant

You'll need the test cert from the installation for the claim which should be proof by itself that your electrician is registered

I think in the UK the installer claims the grant rather than the customer, so they probably need to be registered with whatever the equivalent of SEAI is there. Maybe that's what your installer was thinking about?

Thanks, that’s great to hear.

seligehgit wrote: »
    So is purchasing my zappi ev charging station tethered in black pre receipt of the letter of offer considered a commencement of works?

No, that will be fine as long as your electricians invoice is after the grant date.

KCross wrote: »
    No, that will be fine as long as your electricians invoice is after the grant date.

Thanks a million.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »

Just to clarify. The cert should be after the date. You don’t actually submit any invoices to the the SEAI.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Just to clarify. The cert should be after the date. You don’t actually submit any invoices to the the SEAI.

You'll have to complete a payment request form whatever that entails.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Advertisement