Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

seligehgit wrote: »
    You'll have to complete a payment request form whatever that entails.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Its the form you send off with the photos of the car and chargepoint, Cert, and copy of the car's Tax reg cert *.

you get that form when you get the approval.

*for second hand cars, or if you didnt apply using the SEAI car grant number

(Ive heard sometimes they have asked for it even when the SEAI car grant number was supplied)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Has anyone else been allowed to connect to the meter box rather than through the house to the main fuseboard?

I was through to KN networks yesterday and the lady was adament that this wasn't allowed. To be fair she was just reading off the screen and couldn't tell me why not.

March newsletter said you can, ideally they would like it at the main fuse board but...
    https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi all,

This is a massive thread, so I'm sure this has been asked in some form before....

I have a LEAF24 which I bought 2nd hand just before the grant was made available for 2nd hand cars. So, I have a 32a charger installed which I paid for entirely myself, including the fitting. Because of that, my MPRN has not been associated with an EV or a charger to date.

We're buying a second EV (most likely ID3), so we're not stuck for charge as we can share the one unit for a while at least. When my charger was installed originally, we had electric patio heaters out the back, so there's a priority switch already here (the heaters have been disconnected).

Here's the question: does my electrician have to be registered with SEAI in order for me to get the grant? He's fully legit, not a chancer, but he's not registered with SEAI at the moment. Will it be acceptable if he does the job (I'll buy the charger myself) and provides the cert at the end, or will SEAI insist on something more?

I know I can get another wallpod and the installation done "all-in" for about €700ish, but I'm just afraid that if I have to go with an SEAI specific electrician, the cost will soar. Happy to be out of pocket €100 or so after the grant, but don't want to be fleeced.

Any advice gratefully received.

TIA

You’ll need to install an isolator switch too if not installed already, couple more bucks there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You'll have to complete a payment request form whatever that entails.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Yes, but you do not include any invoice at all. I’ve done about 7 of these in the last year or so. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Has anyone else been allowed to connect to the meter box rather than through the house to the main fuseboard?

I was through to KN networks yesterday and the lady was adament that this wasn't allowed. To be fair she was just reading off the screen and couldn't tell me why not.

The eligibilty criteria clearly state the charger must be connected back to the fuse board of the home of the applicant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The eligibilty criteria clearly state the charger must be connected back to the fuse board of the home of the applicant.

The regs were updated earlier this year to allow charge points to be installed via a connection to the meter box. A few posters have already had this done on grant eligible installation, maybe try calling a different installer.

liamog wrote: »
    The regs were updated earlier this year to allow charge points to be installed via a connection to the meter box. A few posters have already had this done on grant eligible installation, maybe try calling a different installer.

Any link to confirm same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I had an installation done on the 21st of May from the meter board. Wasn't through electric ireland though.

Any link to confirm same?

I posted it and the newsletter Int his thread back in march.

But for clarity - https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

Gumbo wrote: »
    I posted it and the newsletter Int his thread back in march.

But for clarity - https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/03/MarchNewsletterSafeElecFinal-1.pdf

Thanks so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Just got eo mini pro 2 installed. I downloaded the app but can't connect the eo to the WiFi. How do I connect the Internet and do I need the Internet to change

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Liam2021 wrote: »
    Just got eo mini pro 2 installed. I downloaded the app but can't connect the eo to the WiFi. How do I connect the Internet and do I need the Internet to change

Can you pick up your wifi on your phone when next to the Charge unit?

The EO is 2.4Ghz WiFi only so make sure your phone is on that connection and not the 5Ghz connection to see if that helps.

You don't really need the app for the EO anyway - It's extremely limited in functionality, you should be able to do all the things you want from the app for the car in terms of scheduling charge times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi all,

What's the story with getting second charge point?

We already have a 32a Rolec unit, but we're getting a second EV later this week. Can I have two 32a chargers installed? I have a priority switch already installed for the first charger, although the thing it was used for (outdoor heater) has been removed from the house; basically, I have the priority switch there, but the only thing connected to it is the 32a charger.

In my (simple) mind, my plan was to use the priority switch with the two chargers so that only one of them would be powered at any one time. Is that a possibility?

Hi all,

We already have a 32a Rolec unit, but we're getting a second EV later this week. Can I have two 32a chargers installed? I have a priority switch already installed for the first charger, although the thing it was used for (outdoor heater) has been removed from the house; basically, I have the priority switch there, but the only thing connected to it is the 32a charger.

In my (simple) mind, my plan was to use the priority switch with the two chargers so that only one of them would be powered at any one time. Is that a possibility?

Sounds messy.
    I’d run one from the granny cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi all,

You can have two 32A charge points as long as both are not allowed exceed your house supply limits.

I'd suggest best way forward is to use a load sensing charge point.

Priority switches are not ideal as they are a blunt instrument in that they just cut the power entirely to the charge point. This can interrupt charge sessions and depending on the charge point and car can result in the session not restarting.

Get a load sensing charge point and if you happen to turn both chargers on at the same time the load sensing one will ramp down to compensate to ensure you dont blow your house fuse.... much better solution for the long term.

But the priority switch might work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi all,

We have 2 EV's and a single charger, getting away with just taking turns for now

You can use 2 Zappi's or 2 Eo Mini's with the ALM module and they'll split the available power

Or just install 2x 16A chargers on the 32A cable and charge slower

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

We also have 2 EVs and a single charge point. Haven't run into any problems as yet, but occasionally change over at 6am the very odd time we both need a charge on the same night. Missus just swaps over when bringing the hound for a walk. Very quick and simple as the two car charging ports are are only a meter or so apart. 3 hours does her plenty in the Ioniq before she leaves before 9am.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Sounds messy.
    I’d run one from the granny cable.

Running from Granny cable isn't really an option. I don't have a GC for my LEAF24, but the ID3 will have one....don't fancy relying on that long term to charge 58kWh.

We have 2 EV's and a single charger, getting away with just taking turns for now

You can use 2 Zappi's or 2 Eo Mini's with the ALM module and they'll split the available power

Or just install 2x 16A chargers on the 32A cable and charge slower

Taking turns may well work too. That's what we'll be doing in the immediate term anyway I guess.

I have a Rolec 32a at the moment. I suppose I could use that for the ID3 and install a new 16a one for my LEAF24

Running from Granny cable isn't really an option. I don't have a GC for my LEAF24, but the ID3 will have one....don't fancy relying on that long term to charge 58kWh.

Granny cable for a Leaf will cost you about €100, much cheaper than a second charger plus works

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    We also have 2 EVs and a single charge point. Haven't run into any problems as yet, but occasionally change over at 6am the very odd time we both need a charge on the same night. Missus just swaps over when bringing the hound for a walk. Very quick and simple as the two car charging ports are are only a meter or so apart. 3 hours does her plenty in the Ioniq before she leaves before 9am.

Yeah, we'll have to share a charge point to begin with anyway, so maybe that will work out okay.

My wife will have the ID3 and she has a 150km daily commute (Galway to Ennis and back), so maybe she'll only need every second night? My LEAF24 is a 151 and so the usable capacity is down to about 18kWh at this point. It has the 6.6 charger onboard, and I do about 30km a day in it. So I'd probably get away with every second day too. Maybe sharing will work out, but I just don't want another thing to start an argument :)

I have a Rolec 32a at the moment. I suppose I could use that for the ID3 and install a new 16a one for my LEAF24

Well, that's still 48A total on a house supply of probably 64A, not much left for everything else. Not to mention the fact that you'll need to run a new cable from the consumer unit, which would add expense

You could play with the charging schedules on both cars to make sure they never cross over, but you're one mistake away from popping the main fuse for the house. Especially given that VW are having problems with the charging timers

I think in the short term I'd try to charge the Leaf from a granny cable and the ID.3 from the wall box. Or just take turns, unless you need to charge both cars every day then you'll be grand

Long term, look at getting 2 chargers with load balancing so they can share the available power better

Granny cable for a Leaf will cost you about €100, much cheaper than a second charger plus works

Very true. And is it okay to regularly use those? I thought they were kind of an emergency thing only? Is the plug on it weatherproof, so that I can use an outdoor socket rather than leave an extension cable going through a window?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Can you pick up your wifi on your phone when next to the Charge unit?

The EO is 2.4Ghz WiFi only so make sure your phone is on that connection and not the 5Ghz connection to see if that helps.

You don't really need the app for the EO anyway - It's extremely limited in functionality, you should be able to do all the things you want from the app for the car in terms of scheduling charge times etc.

Thanks for that. I managed to get it linked to the Internet.

Any link to where they can be had for €100??

Very true. And is it okay to regularly use those? I thought they were kind of an emergency thing only? Is the plug on it weatherproof, so that I can use an outdoor socket rather than leave an extension cable going through a window?

I got mine second hand from eBay a while back, keep your eye out and you should see one

Screwfix are selling them new for just over €170, bit steeper than €100 :(

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/masterplug-10a-2-3kw-mode-2-type-1-socket-electric-vehicle-charging-cable-5m/872gv

The plug isn't waterproof so you'll want to get an outdoor socket that is weatherproof

They do pull a fair bit of current, so the plug can get warm. They aren't designed for long term usage but there's plenty of people who have survived off granny leads for years without issues

I'd recommend trying to ensure nothing else is plugged into the same circuit, just to make sure it doesn't get overloaded

I use mine to charge my 85 kWh battery for the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yeah, we'll have to share a charge point to begin with anyway, so maybe that will work out okay.

My wife will have the ID3 and she has a 150km daily commute (Galway to Ennis and back), so maybe she'll only need every second night? My LEAF24 is a 151 and so the usable capacity is down to about 18kWh at this point. It has the 6.6 charger onboard, and I do about 30km a day in it. So I'd probably get away with every second day too. Maybe sharing will work out, but I just don't want another thing to start an argument :)

I'd say you'll be fine with one. Definitely try it before you go forking out for another charger. There's no grant for second chargers either. (I'm assuming you have an untethered charger as Leaf is type 1 and ID3 is type 2.)

Charge the Leaf as soon as you get home and switch over to the ID3 before bed. Have both fully charged over the weekend so they start Monday morning full.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be fine with one. Definitely try it before you go forking out for another charger. There's no grant for second chargers either. (I'm assuming you have an untethered charger as Leaf is type 1 and ID3 is type 2.)

Charge the Leaf as soon as you get home and switch over to the ID3 before bed. Have both fully charged over the weekend so they start Monday morning full.

I bought my LEAF 2nd hand in November 2017, and the grant wasn't available for 2nd hand EVs at that stage, so we haven't availed of the grant at the property.

Yeah, charging the LEAF for a couple of hours in the evening and the ID3 overnight is a great idea.

I think it's time to switch to day/night rate. Got a quote from Energia today, 18.45c per unit in day and 8.85c at night. Was on a flat rate of 16.83c per unit up until now, but the 2nd EV and the longer commute means it makes sense at this stage.

• Advertisement

I bought my LEAF 2nd hand in November 2017, and the grant wasn't available for 2nd hand EVs at that stage, so we haven't availed of the grant at the property.

Yeah, charging the LEAF for a couple of hours in the evening and the ID3 overnight is a great idea.

I think it's time to switch to day/night rate. Got a quote from Energia today, 18.45c per unit in day and 8.85c at night. Was on a flat rate of 16.83c per unit up until now, but the 2nd EV and the longer commute means it makes sense at this stage.

You can get better, look at the energia EV plan, 5c night rate :)

Advertisement