Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

You can get better, look at the energia EV plan, 5c night rate :)

I saw that rate, but apparently you have to have been on day/night meter for a year before they give you that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

I saw that rate, but apparently you have to have been on day/night meter for a year before they give you that rate.

I notice this is not available to customers, who have smart meters installed, and as the rollout of smart meters has advanced significantly, so a huge chunk of customers, cannot currently avail of that 5c night rate, which is odd, seeing as that was the whole point of smart meters, at least thats what we’ve been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

fafy wrote: »
    I notice this is not available to customers, who have smart meters installed, and as the rollout of smart meters has advanced significantly, so a huge chunk of customers, cannot currently avail of that 5c night rate, which is odd, seeing as that was the whole point of smart meters, at least thats what we’ve been told.

How do I know what type of meter I have? It’s digital, and appears to display day and night meterage even though I’m not on that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That meter allows you to have 24hr or day/night rate.
    If you are on 24hr rate at the moment you should be able to switch for free without any meter replacement. They might need to come out to initially read the day/night figures and that will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How do I know what type of meter I have? It’s digital, and appears to display day and night meterage even though I’m not on that plan.

That's the same one I have, unfortunately they still send an engineer to "change" the meter

In my case I was chatting to the guy and he said it's literally a paper exercise to switch the digital meters over

Other than writing some instructions in the meter box on how to take readings he didn't do anything that requires a call out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

I bought my LEAF 2nd hand in November 2017, and the grant wasn't available for 2nd hand EVs at that stage, so we haven't availed of the grant at the property.

If you ever do go for the grant on the ID3 a possible option is to get a twin charger installed to replace the single. They're not cheap though, so it might actually work out cheaper to get a 2nd charger with the grant.

Something along the lines of:

https://www.garo.ie/docs/2020/garo%20gtb%20twin%20product%20sheet.pdf

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I would not go for a twin charge point, it's a single dependency and with charge ports on various EVs in different locations you are tying yourself to certain parking on your driveway (can be an issue).
    I'm moving my Charge Point to a more central part of the driveway as playing Tetris becoming cumbersome, will leave cabling for existing charge point in place and maybe pick up a used unit some time in the future that will handle load balancing etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I'm looking to buy a good quality outdoor granny cable extension with RCD, something like this:

https://toughleads.co.uk/products/ev-extension-lead?variant=19514036158552

Does anyone know where I can buy one in Ireland?

electricus wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a good quality outdoor granny cable extension with RCD, something like this:

So you want an extension lead, or the charging cable?

Any 13A lead or higher should do the job

So you want an extension lead, or the charging cable?

Any 13A lead or higher should do the job

A 13A extension cable - with an covered outdoor socket which fits the bigger molded plug on a granny cable.

Edit:
    I was looking at this one but it doesn't mention the wire size (sq mm) in the spec so it may not be suitable for constant 10A supply.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/masterplug-13a-1-gang-unswitched-extension-lead-10m/44635

edit 2:

I see in the Q+A that its 1.5mm so should be ok. I haven't got got my car yet but hoping to get away summer west coast later in the summer so want to be prepared. Also I don't want to be responsible for burning down a holiday home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

ToughLeads ship to Ireland

ToughLeads ship to Ireland

They do but don’t include extra brexit taxes and charges.

I’d also prefer to buy from a shop or supplier here if any sells a similar product,

A 13A extension cable - with an covered outdoor socket which fits the bigger molded plug on a granny cable.

Edit:
    I was looking at this one but it doesn't mention the wire size (sq mm) in the spec so it may not be suitable for constant 10A supply.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/masterplug-13a-1-gang-unswitched-extension-lead-10m/44635

edit 2:

I see in the Q+A that its 1.5mm so should be ok. I haven't got got my car yet but hoping to get away summer west coast later in the summer so want to be prepared. Also I don't want to be responsible for burning down a holiday home!!

I got a 13A extension lead from materplug off of Amazon. Haven't tested it for charging an EV though, but it's rated so it should be fine

Has a nice weatherproof plug but no built-in RCD, you'd need to add one

I can PM you details if you want?

I got a 13A extension lead from materplug off of Amazon. Haven't tested it for charging an EV though, but it's rated so it should be fine

Has a nice weatherproof plug but no built-in RCD, you'd need to add one

I can PM you details if you want?

Thanks, that would be great! I haven’t found anything suitable in stock anywhere locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

I sent my grant payment forms off last week for my charger install, should I expect any response to say they were received? I know it can take a few weeks for payment but thought I might get a mail or letter to say they got it and will be processed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

dave oc wrote: »
    I sent my grant payment forms off last week for my charger install, should I expect any response to say they were received? I know it can take a few weeks for payment but thought I might get a mail or letter to say they got it and will be processed etc.

I got an email confirming they’d received the application about 3 days after I sent it. Then got money 8 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

Got my eo mini pro 2 installed today by electric Ireland/KN .

Very neat job going from the meter cabinet .
    New main board installed in the meter cabinet.
    ALM also part of package .
    Install took about 3 and a half hours.

Now all i need is the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Got Wallbox pulsar plus installed over weekend, very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

mun1 wrote: »
    Got my eo mini pro 2 installed today by electric Ireland/KN .

Very neat job going from the meter cabinet .
    New main board installed in the meter cabinet.
    ALM also part of package .
    Install took about 3 and a half hours.

Now all i need is the car :)

Good job. Im currently installing a 10mm swa cable through a concrete drive for one to meet the requirements for electric ireland to install. Its for a mate. It also has load management so a bellwire cable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Good job. Im currently installing a 10mm swa cable through a concrete drive for one to meet the requirements for electric ireland to install. Its for a mate. It also has load management so a bellwire cable also.

Don’t use bellwire, its not good enough if it’s for a CT clamp. You need twisted pair, preferably shielded, to be sure of its accuracy.

The likes of Zappi say in their manual for CT cable...
    “ DO NOT use mains cable, bell wire or speaker cable.”

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Don’t use bellwire, its not good enough if it’s for a CT clamp. You need twisted pair, preferably shielded, to be sure of its accuracy.

I was wondering that myself, thanks for looking it up

This video answered most of my charging point install questions. Some of the content maybe UK specific but most of it applies here too.

He has another one showing the actual install process, in great detail!

Here's the Zappi install from the same channel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Aside from the Zappi what charge points have a pin, or some form of security to stop someone rocking up and plugging in?

I'm leaning towards the Zappi even though I won't be using the Solar PV charging feature just yet.
    Only thing going against it is Mrs Sky isn't too mad about how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

silver_sky wrote: »
    Aside from the Zappi what charge points have a pin, or some form of security to stop someone rocking up and plugging in?

I'm leaning towards the Zappi even though I won't be using the Solar PV charging feature just yet.

How realistic is it that someone will park in your drive for hours on end to get a free charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

A few chargers i was looking at, have access security, probably many more out there as well:

The VW ID Charger Connect & ID Charger Pro, both have RFID access control. However, if RFID access is selected on the app, you can only charge with a physical card, however, i understand this could be disabled on the app. if you are away, and want to allow someone else to use the charger.

Both are more expensive than the entry level ID Charger most people get.

https://charging-energy.elli.eco/ie-en/IDcharger
    All 3 i think are limited to 11kw, so 3 phase people, look elsewhere.

The Andersen A2, has app controlled Software which locks down usage, so it cannot be used without owner app authorisation.
    It can be software unlocked remotely (for say family etc)via owners app. No messing around with cards.

https://andersen-ev.com/wp-content/uploads/Andersen_e-brochure.pdf
    Has 7kw - which is the normal max for houses here, or 22kw option, for those with 3 phase power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Cyrus wrote: »
    How realistic is it that someone will park in your drive for hours on end to get a free charge?

Visible enough spot. Also, I just don't see a good reason to have something like that open access.

KCross wrote: »

I had already purchased cat 5 twisted pair exterior cable but kn installer says electric ireland insist on bell wire. I have argued this point with him and he said he wont do the install. He even dropped me off the bell wire. Madness. I might install my second cable and exchange it myself when finished.

The sync ev charger comes with an rfid card for this purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I had already purchased cat 5 twisted pair exterior cable but kn installer says electric ireland insist on bell wire. I have argued this point with him and he said he wont do the install. He even dropped me off the bell wire. Madness. I might install my second cable and exchange it myself when finished.

Let me get this right they are getting you to supply and install the cable then they will come along and terminate the cables?
    Where did you get the 3x10 swa lsf? Most suppliers are struggling to get it in.

Advertisement