Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I had already purchased cat 5 twisted pair exterior cable but kn installer says electric ireland insist on bell wire. I have argued this point with him and he said he wont do the install. He even dropped me off the bell wire. Madness. I might install my second cable and exchange it myself when finished.

I’m doing similar next week, new concrete pour but I’m using Direct Burial Ethernet cable, not “external” grade Ethernet cable and 100% not bell wire, what are they thinking?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

silver_sky wrote: »
    Visible enough spot. Also, I just don't see a good reason to have something like that open access.

Wallbox Pulsar Plus has functionality to lock charger through app

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

tweek84 wrote: »
    Let me get this right they are getting you to supply and install the cable then they will come along and terminate the cables?
    Where did you get the 3x10 swa lsf? Most suppliers are struggling to get it in.

Ct electric have it. They will come and terminate
    Ends. 45 metre run. They were only interested in install outside beside meter box. Car is garaged every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Ct electric have it. They will come and terminate
    Ends. 45 metre run. They were only interested in install outside beside meter box. Car is garaged every night.

That's against regulations, I am coming across this more often where the installers are not following procedures or testing regulations. No verification of bonding, no testing of existing RCDs

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

KN/EI used CAT 5 cable on my ALM CT link between meter box and eo mini pro 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

That's against regulations, I am coming across this more often where the installers are not following procedures or testing regulations. No verification of bonding, no testing of existing RCDs

Yesterday , KN sparks checked my fuse board , operation of existing RCD, bonding in hot press, earth rod location and did a loop impedance test before he began work on EV charging point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Visible enough spot. Also, I just don't see a good reason to have something like that open access.

do you lock other external plugs? because thats all it is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Aside from the Zappi what charge points have a pin, or some form of security to stop someone rocking up and plugging in?

I'm leaning towards the Zappi even though I won't be using the Solar PV charging feature just yet.
    Only thing going against it is Mrs Sky isn't too mad about how it looks.

The EO one can be locked from the App , also as you also always get the isolator switch installed you can turn it off there and padlock it in the closed position so it can't be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Aside from the Zappi what charge points have a pin, or some form of security to stop someone rocking up and plugging in?

I'm leaning towards the Zappi even though I won't be using the Solar PV charging feature just yet.
    Only thing going against it is Mrs Sky isn't too mad about how it looks.

I guaruntee you no-one will park in your driveway and plug in, the risk vs reward isn't worth it

If you plug in to someone else's charger for 2 hours, you might save yourself €2 but in those 2 hours you're effectively immobile and at huge risk of getting caught. You can't even drive away if you get caught because you need to unplug the car first

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can't believe we're having this conversation, if someone is out to steal then they'll just switch off the isolator and with 5 minutes be off with the charge point itself

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

slave1 wrote: »
    Can't believe we're having this conversation, if someone is out to steal then they'll just switch off the isolator and with 5 minutes be off with the charge point itself

Exactly , stealing the entire unit is probably far easier , more rewarding and lower risk than plugging a car in for several hours to save a couple of Euro.

slave1 wrote: »

Yeah that's probably a lot more likely. Sort of like a combination of porch pirates and those lads stealing catalytic converters

• Registered Users Posts: 6 apubwithnobeer

Hi

I am buying a Wall charger for my car (ID3). I have finally shortlisted the ID charger and the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, but I have hit a dead end. This is where I am:
    1) I have decided to buy the charger from the supplier and hire a local electrician (registered with Safe Ireland) to do the installation. I am doing this as I have concluded this to be the cheapest option.
    2) I am unsure in terms of which device will work more seamless with my ID3.
    3) Does the ID charger work well with a CT coil in terms of load management (reduce amount of electricity supplied to the car when the electric shower is on) or does it work only with a switch (when the electric shower is on, a switch will cut supply to the charger)?
    4) How does the Pulsar Plus and the ID3 work with each other in relation to charging schedules?

Do you have any suggestions/advice?

Thank you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I had already purchased cat 5 twisted pair exterior cable but kn installer says electric ireland insist on bell wire. I have argued this point with him and he said he wont do the install. He even dropped me off the bell wire. Madness. I might install my second cable and exchange it myself when finished.

You need to insist and point them to the documentation.

No point in them being happy but the system showing inaccurate or unreliable readings after.

They have no good reason for insisting on bellwire. Dig in!

Good tip, may steal a charge point instead of buying one.

Good tip, may steal a charge point instead of buying one.

I'd like to see the look on a thiefs face when they realise they stole a Type 1 tethered rolec worth about €50

Reminds me of that scene from the simpsons where snake steals a VCR and then realises it's betamax :)

1) Thats what most people do. You pick your own electrician and source your own charge point.
    2) Much of a muchness. All charge points will work with the ID.3 and any EV. Its standardised.
    3) It has load sensing but unsure yet how good/bad it is. They are not tried/tested yet really.
    4) Im sure that will be fine on the charge point side. The bigger issue is that the ID.3 charge timers dont work reliably yet and there is no way around that until VW fix the software in the car. You have to disable the car timers and then charging works reliably.

As for which one to pick.... its a bit of a subjective thing really.

How much are both charge points for the models you are picking and how do they stack up against each other in terms of features and which features are must-haves for you?

The ID Wall charger has an integration within the VW ID app so maybe thats a positive in that you have one less app to be fiddling with.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Hi

I am buying a Wall charger for my car (ID3). I have finally shortlisted the ID charger and the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, but I have hit a dead end. This is where I am:
    1) I have decided to buy the charger from the supplier and hire a local electrician (registered with Safe Ireland) to do the installation. I am doing this as I have concluded this to be the cheapest option.
    2) I am unsure in terms of which device will work more seamless with my ID3.
    3) Does the ID charger work well with a CT coil in terms of load management (reduce amount of electricity supplied to the car when the electric shower is on) or does it work only with a switch (when the electric shower is on, a switch will cut supply to the charger)?
    4) How does the Pulsar Plus and the ID3 work with each other in relation to charging schedules?

Do you have any suggestions/advice?

Thank you for your help.

I(ID3 owner) was advised to get the pulsar plus as I’ve an air to water heat pump, pretty sure the ID Charger wasn’t suitable for that reason.
    I’ve the charging time set on the pulsar app for night time saving and never had any issues with it nearly 10 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Surely you can lay your cable to upgrade your supply to garage as long as its tested properly by redgistered installers. 15m of 6mm is maximum they will work with otherwise.

I(ID3 owner) was advised to get the pulsar plus as I’ve an air to water heat pump, pretty sure the ID Charger wasn’t suitable for that reason.

Having a heat pump won’t be a reason for not picking the ID charge point so I’d say that was an installer suiting himself.

More likely they had experience of the pulsar plus and not the ID charge point so wanted what they knew/trusted.

I’ve a heat pump myself and will be putting in an ID charge point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 apubwithnobeer

KCross wrote: »
    Having a heat pump won’t be a reason for not picking the ID charge point so I’d say that was an installer suiting himself.

More likely they had experience of the pulsar plus and not the ID charge point so wanted what they knew/trusted.

What CT clamp will you be using? I find that installers are not telling me what clamp to use or stating it will work with switch only and suggesting me the chargers they sell.

Do you know how the load balancing works?

Another thing is the motherboard itself. I know pulsar plus uses raspberry pi. This actually may be great for future updates and upcoming features. I am unsure what board is used by the ID charger or how future proof it is. Do you have any info on that?

Thank yoy

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

KCross wrote: »

Possibly true, as long as the charge point was a good one and suited my needs/house I wasn’t bothered which one was used.
    Just saying the pulsar plus is a good choice.

What CT clamp will you be using? I find that installers are not telling me what clamp to use or stating it will work with switch only and suggesting me the chargers they sell.

I havent thought about it. It does support a CT clamp for sure so I'll check the manual for guidance but I'd say CT clamps from other suppliers like Zappi would do fine.
    Do you know how the load balancing works?

Like other charge points.... you turn on another device in the house and it will ramp down the rate the car draws. It doesnt operate like a priority switch where its all or nothing... on or off.... it will ramp up/down as it needs. Thats the whole point of the CT clamp.
    Another thing is the motherboard itself. I know pulsar plus uses raspberry pi. This actually may be great for future updates and upcoming features. I am unsure what board is used by the ID charger or how future proof it is. Do you have any info on that?

It supports over-the-air firmware updates and VW have said they will provide updates for it (e.g. SolarPV support down the line).

The Raspberry Pi on the Pulsar will provide the same thing with the added benefit, I guess, that you can utilise 3rd party apps but personally I'd rather the charge point manufacturer to own the software and provide updates than to be installing 3rd party stuff to my charge point, but each to their own there.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Surely you can lay your cable to upgrade your supply to garage as long as its tested properly by redgistered installers. 15m of 6mm is maximum they will work with otherwise.

I bet the 15m is just based on the price they have given, like the way they price the jobs without verifying that the installation will not require any remedial works then if it is required you get an additional bill.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

so I have a choice of car chargers for home ...EVBox Elvi or an Easee ? I have 0 idea after reading through the specs if one is better then the other.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have 0 idea after reading through the specs if one is better then the other.
    Any ideas?

Unless you have a fancy solar PV setup at home the short answer is who really cares? Its a glorified extension lead at the end of the day for most people and you can spend thousands or hundreds but they all will charge your car at the same speed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found https://www.apielectrical.co.uk/electric-vehicles/charge-point-brands/. .

I think I am beginning to learn what you said above . Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Personally I have a wallbox, at first I was checking the app and thinking these are cool features in the app but at the end of the day all I did was ramp it up to max charging speed and have not touched the app in the last 2+ years.

One of my neighbors has a fancy Zappi and another has the very basic one from electric Ireland. We all use it the same way now, plug the car in at the end of the day and by morning it is charged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s like asking if I need a fancy socket to charge my phone.
    Keep it simple, plug and charge.

• Advertisement

went with the EV elvi box , I was afraid that there would be huge differences but there does not seem to be!

Advertisement