Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

KCross wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with that charge point.

It is a nice unit but not alot of people installing them due to the price.

Would still be interested in your opinion on app support and whatever other features it has.

Did you get the add-on which does the load sensing... i.e. if you turn on another high powered device in the house the charge point will reduce its draw to protect the house fuse?

Got the invoice there, and reminded me it cones with a 3 year warranty, i doubt that is standard ?

Had a query setting up app on 2nd phone, emailed Andersen support last night, they came back with the solution at 10am this morning, i had a follow up query, they came back straight away. Still finding my way around the app, has the fairly standard “disable” option. Cost of charge where you enter your electricity rate.
    As its charging, it tells you whats going into car, and also what the total kw into the house is, assume this is a function of the load management.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

fafy wrote: »
    As its charging, it tells you whats going into car...

Just in case you are unaware there are AC to DC losses on charging, you are likely looking at best 92% efficiency so if 6.6kW going into car, battery getting ~92% of that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭fafy

slave1 wrote: »
    Just in case you are unaware there are AC to DC losses on charging, you are likely looking at best 92% efficiency so if 6.6kW going into car, battery getting ~92% of that

Cheers, I didn’t know that, i did check what was happening inside the car, and did notice it was flicking between 6.6 & 6.7 at one point, but its all new to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Even what the car says on the dash is not 100% accurate e.g. I can get 22/23kW readings on my Tesla dash but it's actually 20.8/21.2kW that gets into the battery from detailed scanning

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Even what the car says on the dash is not 100% accurate e.g. I can get 22/23kW readings on my Tesla dash but it's actually 20.8/21.2kW that gets into the battery from detailed scanning

There's a definite trend of rounding to the best number with car manufacturers :)

Same probably applies to everyone really

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

Good link to compare charging speeds including losses and different charging methods, ac/dc etc

Ac charging losses are around 10-12%

https://evcompare.io/cars/audi/audi-q4-e-tron-40/charging/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Anyone know what length the 3 pin plug charger on the id4 is?

Liam2021 wrote: »
    Anyone know what length the 3 pin plug charger on the id4 is?

Wouldn't that be better posted that in the ID.4 thread? ;)

I think it's about 5 metres from plug to plug

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Wouldn't that be better posted that in the ID.4 thread? ;)

I think it's about 5 metres from plug to plug

That's great thanks. I'll be back to the id4 tread on Thursday with my 212 :)

Liam2021 wrote: »
    That's great thanks. I'll be back to the id4 tread on Thursday with my 212 :)

Excellent, looking forward to pictures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

My Son lives in Marino with very small front garden. No room for a car. He wants to buy an electric car, install a home charger and run a cable to the car. I told him he can't do that, even if he covers it. How can he charge his car safely.
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Safehands wrote: »
    My Son lives in Marino with very small front garden. No room for a car. He wants to buy an electric car, install a home charger and run a cable to the car. I told him he can't do that, even if he covers it. How can he charge his car safely.
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any info on it.

Run cable underground in ducting and mount post for charger beside car space.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

I'd guess it would require discussions with the local authorities as to what the rules are with either the installation of a cable gully (with permission) or use of a cable ramp to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'd guess it would require discussions with the local authorities as to what the rules are with either the installation of a cable gully (with permission) or use of a cable ramp to go over.

I'd be surprised if either are permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Cyrus wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if either are permitted

I a wondering about this too. We live in Dublin city centre and have no driveway. We are going to be completely renovating the house in the coming months and I think it's a good opportunity to look at getting some sort of home charging solution installed at the same time.

From looking online, Ireland does not seem to have similar options to the UK. If I contacted the council, I wonder if they would allow me to install one under the pavement and have a curbside stand with parking space clearly marked for the permit holder only.

Wishful thinking on my part I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'm also in a similar predicament - terrace house in an estate with a narrow footpath between my car space and house.
    I was thinking about commando granny cable running from my car to an external socket. Also getting an electrician to inspect the house wiring.
    This along with a cable gully accross the footpath might be a solution. Anyone done something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

I have a Tesla Model 3. My girlfriend has put a deposit down on a Peugeot e208. I am sure we can just alternate charging nights usually, but a second charger could be handy. Options would include:

I have a Tesla Wall Charger second generation connected to the fuseboard. I could find another second generation charger and daisy chain them, the chargers would have to be fairly close to each other unless I want to dig up a tarmac driveway. Third generation chargers don't link up with second generation ones, so can't buy off the Tesla website a new one.

Since my charger was installed, regulations now allow the charger to be connected directly to the metre (via a mini fuseboard?). Position wise that would suit the house better, but I am limited to 80 A, running 64 A is a bit much much I would think. Can I connect a 16 A commando to the metre instead? Safer for granny cable charging than through a window to a wall plug, and leaves me with an outdoor plug for other uses.

Any other ideas?

finneys13 wrote: »
    I have a Tesla Model 3. My girlfriend has put a deposit down on a Peugeot e208. I am sure we can just alternate charging nights usually, but a second charger could be handy. Options would include:

I have a Tesla Wall Charger second generation connected to the fuseboard. I could find another second generation charger and daisy chain them, the chargers would have to be fairly close to each other unless I want to dig up a tarmac driveway. Third generation chargers don't link up with second generation ones, so can't buy off the Tesla website a new one.

Since my charger was installed, regulations now allow the charger to be connected directly to the metre (via a mini fuseboard?). Position wise that would suit the house better, but I am limited to 80 A, running 64 A is a bit much much I would think. Can I connect a 16 A commando to the metre instead? Safer for granny cable charging than through a window to a wall plug, and leaves me without an outdoor plug for other uses.

Any other ideas?

I'm in a similar boat, wife has a Leaf and I've an ID.4 now

I've gotten a Type 2 tethered Zappi alongside an EO Mini untethered to charge both cars. In theory by using a CT clamp on the feed to both chargers I can get the Zappi to load balance against the EO Mini so it won't overload the circuit when both cars are charging

I say in theory because I haven't gotten it working yet, the Zappi ignores the limit I'm setting. I've got MyEnergi support on the case so hopefully it'll be resolved soon

In your case you could get 2x Zappis and they can be linked and will share the available power. You can set one to have priority or they can try to split the available power equally

The newer EO Mini also has the ability to load balance as well

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

I'm in a similar boat, wife has a Leaf and I've an ID.4 now

I've gotten a Type 2 tethered Zappi alongside an EO Mini untethered to charge both cars. In theory by using a CT clamp on the feed to both chargers I can get the Zappi to load balance against the EO Mini so it won't overload the circuit when both cars are charging

I say in theory because I haven't gotten it working yet, the Zappi ignores the limit I'm setting. I've got MyEnergi support on the case so hopefully it'll be resolved soon

In your case you could get 2x Zappis and they can be linked and will share the available power. You can set one to have priority or they can try to split the available power equally

The newer EO Mini also has the ability to load balance as well

Thanks, the Zappis are an option. Leaning towards a 16 A commando if it can be installed directly from the metre. Can charge one car at 32 A and one at 16 A then, plus have the outdoor socket for other uses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Felexicon wrote: »
    Run cable underground in ducting and mount post for charger beside car space.

A couple of things about that. My son does not own the footpath, DCC do. He does not own a parking space on the road. He parks outside the house, if a space is available. So running a cable underground would not necessarily help him. If he owned the space, that would be a possibility. It would be very expensive tough and would require planning permission etc, etc. The way new housing estates are being designed, without driveways or gardens, is very Electric car unfriendly. Maybe developers should be forced to install these points with the plans for the houses. I can see all sorts of problems with insurance and other red tape.
    I have told him that if he wants an electric car in the immediate future he will need to move house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A couple of things about that. My son does not own the footpath, DCC do. He does not own a parking space on the road. He parks outside the house, if a space is available.

He's snookered then. Will need Permission from Council.
    It would be very expensive tough and would require planning permission etc, etc.

Its not as expensive as you would think. I think it added about €600 to the cost of a user here who done similar in a Management Company Estate. His total cost was about €1850.

Planning is required though.
    Maybe developers should be forced to install these points with the plans for the houses.

Most are putting the provisions in and have been for the last number of years. Grace Park development in Dublin 9 was the first large scale estate i seen getting the provisions and that was back in 2016. Any Apartment development im looking at has the provisions for future shared charging.

The new Building Regulations (Part L) will require it going forward too once thats published.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Having my install completed tomorrow. The house is a new build completed in 2020 and is pre-wired for Electric car charging. KN are still talking about drilling through the house to the fuse board so thought I’d ask the knowledge base here, is that necessary? Can the CT clamp and power be drawn from the smart meter box and mains at the front?

I’ve read the links posted for the updates to the regulations but with pre-wiring I don’t know where that will leave me.

Tazium wrote: »
    Having my install completed tomorrow. The house is a new build completed in 2020 and is pre-wired for Electric car charging. KN are still talking about drilling through the house to the fuse board so thought I’d ask the knowledge base here, is that necessary? Can the CT clamp and power be drawn from the smart meter box and mains at the front?

I’ve read the links posted for the updates to the regulations but with pre-wiring I don’t know where that will leave me.

So you have a 6sq ran from fuse board to junction box outside?

I've had a few like that and have no issue using existing cabling once tests are ok.

Not sure what the CT clamp set up is like with the EO though.

Is the current cable near your ESB cabinet?

Felexicon wrote: »
    So you have a 6sq ran from fuse board to junction box outside?

I've had a few like that and have no issue using existing cabling once tests are ok.

Not sure what the CT clamp set up is like with the EO though.

Is the current cable near your ESB cabinet?

I’ve not opened or checked the connections. Expecting it’s been done to whatever standard was in place for 2020 buildings. Details I have state it’s been prepared for charger but no specifics unfortunately. There’s an outside point that looks like a closed off grey external socket housing and it’s less than a metre from the External cabinet where the smart meter lives. Fuse board is in a utility cabinet at the back of the house there’s space for more fuses but I’ve no idea what’s cabled in there.

Tazium wrote: »
    I’ve not opened or checked the connections. Expecting it’s been done to whatever standard was in place for 2020 buildings. Details I have state it’s been prepared for charger but no specifics unfortunately. There’s an outside point that looks like a closed off grey external socket housing and it’s less than a metre from the External cabinet where the smart meter lives. Fuse board is in a utility cabinet at the back of the house there’s space for more fuses but I’ve no idea what’s cabled in there.

Yeah that's fairly standard on new houses now. Cable is probably just left coiled up in the fuse board. He should just need to fit an RCBO and then fit the isolator where that grey box is.

Most places will give a worst case scenario but once the installer see it he'll be happy he doesn't have to go drilling and pulling in new cables

In and out in an hour. The pre-wired cable to the fuse board was used and a new cable for the CT to the external meter cabinet. Very tidy work. If only the car could arrive as quick, that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I had a guy out to the house to talk about installing an EV charger. Turns out I need to upgrade at least the mains tails coming out of my meter and probably other work as well. Am I allowed to ask here for recommendations of Dublin-based electricians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Couple of questions regarding install, really for my own curiosity as I have a electrician hopefully coming out on Monday. Have spoken to him on the phone about the location etc. and ideally it would be an easier job to install from the meter box although with a bit of work could get to the consumer unit.

Zappi going in and the meter was changed during the week to a day/night digital.

Reading up on install it would appear that a new set of tails will have to be brought from the meter to a new isolation unit in the meter box if going that route and if going from the consumer unit tails of 25mm2 will be required, looks like ours are 16mm2. If both these cases who takes care of the new tails/changing the tails?

Looking at the various videos of installs, granted they are mainly UK based, the electrician looks to have the option to remove a section from the meter to install/change tails. Looking at the meter we have installed the unit is sealed with the ESB metal tag with no access to install/change tails.

Am I looking at getting the ESB out again to connect the new tails as, I assume, an electrician has no way of accessing them?

If running from the meter box will the tails to the consumer unit still have to be upgraded?

There should be a small fuse panel inside the meter box, the live from the meter should go through that and then into your house

I believe the electrician can swap that out for a slightly larger panel with 2 fuses. One for the charger and the other will go to the CU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

There should be a small fuse panel inside the meter box, the live from the meter should go through that and then into your house

I believe the electrician can swap that out for a slightly larger panel with 2 fuses. One for the charger and the other will go to the CU

seen them on various install videos alright but not in our installation, 2006 built house. Tails are going straight from the meter to the consumer unit.

This is the reason for my curiosity as looking at it the ESB will have to come out for either install location that we use whether from the meter box or the consumer unit. We will need a new set of tails if installing in the meter box or ungraded tails if coming from the consumer unit both scenarios entail opening the meter.

Advertisement