Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

TheChizler wrote: »
    Cheers, will do next chance I get. Bolt mounted through three 7mm holes punched through the steel plate. Got it fabricated at Andec Stainless in Cork.

Sweet, I'm based in Cork too so will have a think on it.

Cost much to fabricate?

I could sort the concrete base myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Sweet, I'm based in Cork too so will have a think on it.

Cost much to fabricate?

I could sort the concrete base myself :)
    Sent you a PM there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭denismc

AFAIK the hub allows your devices to connect to the internet which allows for firmware upgrades over the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Look great,

Would you be able to post a few close ups of how you mounted it to the pole?

I might do something similar myself. I have a boundary wall that is very low so a steel post might do the job :)

Eventually thought of this Nedved. Three m6 bolts through m7 holes punched through the plate to allow for error. Considering welding the nut to make it harder to steal.

Not thrilled with the grommet, and the angle of the cables. Should have made the hole in the pole slightly lower so water running down the cable would be deflected away, but it was bone dry inside when I checked after a few days of heavy showers.

2s9yxc1.jpg
    103wnjb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Cheers for that. The missus has vetoed the pole idea unfortunately, she would prefer it to be directly attached to the wall. It's a low enough wall but it'll do. Nice job you have though, looks tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

I've been grant approved for a home charger and would appreciate any input as I'm not finding it easy to pick one while trying to balance current vs potential future needs. EV is currently a 24KWH leaf (3kw slow charge).

Tethered vs untethered
    If I have it correct, my leaf has a type 1 socket and it is widely used across various make/models at present. Will type 1 likely be the standard over the coming years or is there already a move to something else? Is there any location on the web that has a matrix of EV models and supported slow/fast charging standards?

I need it connected through the ESB meter (new house and fuse box a good distance away) and as I have an electric shower I need some sort of load balancing/priority switch. The new Zappi has been appealing to me as I believe the wireless CT clamp could aid with the load balancing and MyEnergi are close to releasing a mobile app for it. While I don't have solar plans at the moment, leaving the option open is appealing.

The Juicebox appears to get good feedback also but I'm not sure how it could automatically load balance. Of course, the other option is to get the cheapest available charger for my current needs and not worry about future proofing.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've read back through all 29 pages, and I think i'm ready to comment with confidence. :eek:

- I've no EV yet, but hopefully will have one this year. Looking like an Ioniq.
    - I've no solar, and extremely unlikely I ever will (south roof is quite small, no water tank, gas heating).
    - I've no electric shower either.
    - I want to future proof so from what I've read, I need to get a 32Amp charger, fed by at least 6sqrmm T&E (distance from fuse box to charger would be 2-3 meters only).
    - Electric being the future, our 2nd car will eventually become electric too, but I don't see this happening for 5-6 years.

Question time!
    1. I'm getting works done to our house which involves moving our ESB meter and thus requires an electrician to certify on the electrics in the house. Is this the same certification as required when installing a charger? If i'm saving him doubling up on his checks, perhaps I can save a few € in the process.
    2. I've read of 3 charges (regularly). Zappi. Zappi is mentioned relentlessly because of it's compatibility with PV and electric showers, but considering these are moot points for me, is the only advantage of a Zappi (for me) that it can load balance, if I ever get a 2nd charger?
      I should read more, but is the zappi hub just an add on to give you a nice interface and stats and connecting it to the internet?
    3. Rolec I've heard nothing too much about them. I assume there's nothing special about them, other than they do what they're supposed to. 32A 7.2kw Type 2 would be what i'd be after I guess?
    4. ABL - Similar to the Rolec in terms of capability? Is it just an older style?
    5. From what I've read, sourcing the parts (cable, charger and RCBO) and just getting an electrician to fit it is around €150 for the electrician?
    6. If the future involves getting a 2nd electric car, and thus a 2nd electric car charger, will I need a 2nd cable and RCBO? Or a bigger cable (10sqrm+)? Now is the only time i'll be able to run cables to where I want our charger so it's something I need to think about.
    7. Lastly, where are people buying their chargers from? And any rough guides on prices? I assume if I buy an untethered charger it'd be cheaper, assuming my car comes with a cable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Make sure you get your grant application in before the works are done otherwise you'll have to get your electrician to fudge the dates.

Once you have the grant approved you'd have 6 months to get it done, I think you'd also have to have your car bought before this period is up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

jpogorman wrote:
    Tethered vs untethered If I have it correct, my leaf has a type 1 socket and it is widely used across various make/models at present. Will type 1 likely be the standard over the coming years or is there already a move to something else? Is there any location on the web that has a matrix of EV models and supported slow/fast charging standards?

I think most cars are type 2 so as far as I'm aware to future proof you should get an untethered charge point (which will be a type 2 socket) and then a type 2 to type 1 cable for your leaf. This will be the same cable you can use for the public slow charge points.
    If you get a new ev later you will use a type 2 cable with the same charge point

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Make sure you get your grant application in before the works are done otherwise you'll have to get your electrician to fudge the dates.

Once you have the grant approved you'd have 6 months to get it done, I think you'd also have to have your car bought before this period is up too.

Hmm, that aint happening so. Works are the priority (spring). EV will be bought this year. It's not the end of the world really. The only thing the electrician would need to install now would be the cabling. RCBO and charger could be installed when I get an EV. Cabling is hardly going to break the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

[*]If the future involves getting a 2nd electric car, and thus a 2nd electric car charger, will I need a 2nd cable and RCBO? Or a bigger cable (10sqrm+)? Now is the only time i'll be able to run cables to where I want our charger so it's something I need to think about.

Put in 2 cables of 6mm² each.

They will get an RCBO each when the time comes.

Just bear in mind that two charge points side by side might not actually work in practice based on how/where you park your two cars.

So, look at that first. Most charge points have either a 5m or 8m cable. Based on where you park your cars will then decide where the two charge points need to go.

When getting the electrician to put in the two cables what you could do is tell him to wire the two of them as external 3 pin sockets for now and make them live. Very simple job then to swap that to a charge point later on.... 30min job. Getting the cable run is the hardest bit usually.

The important thing is that both cables are wired directly back to the consumer unit and get a dedicated RCBO each. The cables should not be shared or tapped off any other circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

[*]I've read of 3 charges (regularly). Zappi. Zappi is mentioned relentlessly because of it's compatibility with PV and electric showers, but considering these are moot points for me, is the only advantage of a Zappi (for me) that it can load balance, if I ever get a 2nd charger?

load balance and load limit. Both very important if you plan to have two EV's.

Consider Garo as well.
    I should read more, but is the zappi hub just an add on to give you a nice interface and stats and connecting it to the internet?

I'd imagine its for stats and control (remote activation etc). Not terribly important, imo, as you will generally just plug the car in when you get home and the cars timer will decide when the car charges. The stats will be interesting at the start and then you'll get sick of looking at them!

[*]Rolec I've heard nothing too much about them. I assume there's nothing special about them, other than they do what they're supposed to. 32A 7.2kw Type 2 would be what i'd be after I guess?

Yes, nothing special. Its the cheap and cheerful option. 32A is what you want.
    [*]ABL - Similar to the Rolec in terms of capability? Is it just an older style?

I think these are the ones that eCars installed. Much the same as Rolec really. Cheap and cheerful. No bells and whistles.
    [*]From what I've read, sourcing the parts (cable, charger and RCBO) and just getting an electrician to fit it is around €150 for the electrician?

For a simple install it should be but it depends on whether a cert is required or not.

[*]Lastly, where are people buying their chargers from? And any rough guides on prices? I assume if I buy an untethered charger it'd be cheaper, assuming my car comes with a cable.

Not much difference in price really.
    Prices vary from €300 to high end ones for €1k. It depends on what features you want.
    There are a few UK sites like evonestop that supply.

KCross wrote: »
    Put in 2 cables of 6mm² each.

They will get an RCBO each when the time comes.

Just bear in mind that two charge points side by side might not actually work in practice based on how/where you park your two cars.

So, look at that first. Most charge points have either a 5m or 8m cable. Based on where you park your cars will then decide where the two charge points need to go.

When getting the electrician to put in the two cables what you could do is tell him to wire the two of them as external 3 pin sockets for now and make them live. Very simple job then to swap that to a charge point later on.... 30min job. Getting the cable run is the hardest bit usually.

The important thing is that both cables are wired directly back to the consumer unit and get a dedicated RCBO each. The cables should not be shared or tapped off any other circuits.
    The wallspace outside our house is quite limited. We just about get 2 cars into our driveway. Behind the leftmost parking bay is a bay window, so no charger there. Behind the rightmost parking bay are steps up into our house and our front door, so putting a charger there would increase the changes of having cables draped over our steps, thus a tripping hazard.
    Only option I see is having the charger(s) between the bay window and the front door. Unfortunately it's probably only wide enough for 1 charger, so in the future they may be stacked. Not ideal, but from how I see it, i've not many options (unless I want to have cables running down our steps).

I plan on getting a 3 pin socket installed below where the charger will be anyways. Useful for powerwashing etc. So.... 3 cables are needed. 2X6sqrmm for a charger now, and 2nd one later on, and a 3rd T&E for 3 a pin socket.

KCross wrote: »
    load balance and load limit. Both very important if you plan to have two EV's.

Consider Garo as well.

I'd imagine its for stats and control (remote activation etc). Not terribly important, imo, as you will generally just plug the car in when you get home and the cars timer will decide when the car charges. The stats will be interesting at the start and then you'll get sick of looking at them!

Cheers. I'll check our Garo now.

Stats are interesting though. I've a lot of my house automated and monitored already, so i'm always curious to add another source of data. But if it doesn't link in with home-assistant i'm less interested. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Electric Ireland are still only installing for 3.6kw / 16A with PHEVs in mind, although using an ABL box that is compatible if you change cabling and RCBO, but is somewhat a waste of effort IMO to swap it over after all the work of installing it in first place. In two weeks approx. they will have pricing for a 32A install. I guess this is what someone else commented about a month ago. They told me pricing would be around 800-900 EUR for this install and that prices would be formalised soon.

Still less than market rates as far as I can see. If anyone knows of an installer that will source and install for less than €1k then let me know. Otherwise, will get the usual Zappi from Electric Auto, and any spark recommendations also appreciated (who can supply the wiring, install, and certify efficiently etc.). Another quote I had for a Garo install from a Maynooth company was 1400 EUR. This just seems crazy money. 400-500EUR max seems right to me for parts, labour, and paperwork, and a Zappi or Garo for 500-600EUR mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

Electric Ireland are still only installing for 3.6kw / 16A with PHEVs in mind, although using an ABL box that is compatible if you change cabling and RCBO, but is somewhat a waste of effort IMO to swap it over after all the work of installing it in first place. In two weeks approx. they will have pricing for a 32A install. I guess this is what someone else commented about a month ago. They told me pricing would be around 800-900 EUR for this install and that prices would be formalised soon.

Still less than market rates as far as I can see. If anyone knows of an installer that will source and install for less than €1k then let me know. Otherwise, will get the usual Zappi from Electric Auto, and any spark recommendations also appreciated (who can supply the wiring, install, and certify efficiently etc.). Another quote I had for a Garo install from a Maynooth company was 1400 EUR. This just seems crazy money. 400-500EUR max seems right to me for parts, labour, and paperwork, and a Zappi or Garo for 500-600EUR mark.

I spoke with Electeic Ireland a few days ago about the new chargers. The only upgrade seemed to be that they will be 32amp instead of 16. Pricing was expected to be 850 - 950. However installs wont be happening for 3 - 5 weeks.

Instead, I’m getting a Zappi installed next week for approx €1000. I’ll PM you the installers info. I decided to go with him after getting 2 separate recommendations, one on here and one from a colleague in work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

deadduck wrote: »
    I spoke with Electeic Ireland a few days ago about the new chargers. The only upgrade seemed to be that they will be 32amp instead of 16. Pricing was expected to be 850 - 950. However installs wont be happening for 3 - 5 weeks.

Instead, I’m getting a Zappi installed next week for approx €1000. I’ll PM you the installers info. I decided to go with him after getting 2 separate recommendations, one on here and one from a colleague in work

Any chance of a pm for the zappi?

deadduck wrote:

Where abouts in the country are you?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Where abouts in the country are you?

I'm in Kildare. He certainly covers Dublin too, but i'm not sure where else. I'll PM his details to anyone who wants them, and when he's here next week doing the job i'll ask him is he happy enough for me to post his info up (i assume he is, but it seems the etiquette is to ask him first, so that's what i'll do)

deadduck wrote:
    I'm in Kildare. He certainly covers Dublin too, but i'm not sure where else. I'll PM his details to anyone who wants them, and when he's here next week doing the job i'll ask him is he happy enough for me to post his info up (i assume he is, but it seems the etiquette is to ask him first, so that's what i'll do)

Sound, send me on a pm there please too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if you could pm me too pls.

also i assume that price is for a gen 1 tethered?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Not sure what Gen, but it is tethered. There are a few recs on FB but perhaps one of many new companies in a growing market.

I know the process is to hunt around and compare lots of quotes, but it would be nice to have a tendering system or sticky with prices since the prices are very variable. Generally the FB page is very good, as there is no problem recommending businesses there.

daheff wrote: »
    if you could pm me too pls.

also i assume that price is for a gen 1 tethered?

Yep, gen 1 tethered with a 5m cable. PM’s sent to all who asked

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Mini Countryman PHEV and am looking to get the BMW wall charger installed.

Costs should be roughly €1100 prior to the grant being applied. This includes the installation charges and the price of the charger unit. Is this normal?

Anyone have info on the BMW wall charger?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Mini Countryman PHEV and am looking to get the BMW wall charger installed.

Costs should be roughly €1100 prior to the grant being applied. This includes the installation charges and the price of the charger unit. Is this normal?

Anyone have info on the BMW wall charger?

Thanks in advance!

For the bmw branded one it’s about right.
    You could have one fitted for less than the grant if you bought second hand and got the sparks to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Great! Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure whether they were fleecing me for the installation or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Hi. Could you PM the details of the installer also? Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jjcahill78

Can I get installers details too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 magnetic zero

I would appreciate a pm with the installers details if possible too. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Just an update , Had mine installed today a 32A , Zappi , 5M Tethered. Ciaran from Voltswagon Did mine , lovely guy, he did a very neat job and It was a bit of a longer cable run than he quoted for but he kept to the same price. He appreciates people recommending him hence the direct mention.

Advertisement