Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Got a zappi with PV solar installed a few weeks back. EV finally arrived last week. Already have 40kw of solar put into the car (4.8kwp system) - amazing really!

Anyway i applied today for the charger grant. The grant reply email states "Complete the installation of your charge point using a chosen certified Safe Electric installer. THIS MUST BE DONE WITHIN THE START AND EXPIRY DATES LISTED ABOVE OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR GRANT."

Since the work is already done, will this be a problem in getting the grant??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Since the work is already done, will this be a problem in getting the grant

Yes. Approval has to be granted BEFORE you do any work. If you have not got the approval first then you wont get the grant. You can plead ignorance and hope they give it anyway but they can be stickler for detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The hope is that installer would create the paperwork with appropriate date (later than grant approval thing). ;-)

The electrician has to fill in and file an electricians cert (nothing to do with grant) which will also be dated. That cert has to go in with the grant paperwork so if that’s already filed he’s busted. If not, he’d want to talk to that electrician quickly. Job was done a few weeks ago so probably too late already.

Yes the paper work is already completed for the PV grand & in the system. I'm sure they will be looking at the MPRN when i submit the charger grant so dont want the bust the electrician by getting him to give me a separate cert for the charger with a later date. Surly they'll see the sense in fitting ahead of time 🙏 & the fact the car was delay but 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I doubt it, they can be sticklers. They'll say there was nothing stopping you applying for the grant months ago and extending it if delayed.

Fingers crossed for you though.

Surly they'll see the sense in fitting ahead of time 🙏 & the fact the car was delay but 3 months

The way it works is you get approval first, then you have 6 months to get it installed. So, there is plenty time in the process for delays so thats not really an excuse. You've done it backwards unfortunately, so they will be within their rights to refuse you, but plead your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Also worth bearing in mind that there's an element of incentivisation about the scheme, and there's not really anything to incentivise if the install is already done. You're unlikely to rip it out just to spite them, after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

I went for untethered zappi and regretted it as I plug in almost everytime I come home to ensure any excess solar goes to the car. I went for it as it was neater and thought if there was ever an issue with the cable i could replace without an electrician. Now I end up leaving my cable attached to the charger so its like a tethered one. Ended up buying another type 2 cable for €99 and have that one left in the car so i don't get caught short sometime. So my advice would be go for tethered unless you don't or won't ever have solar pv and if you only need to charge infrequently eg every few days, otherwise you might regret it like me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Question on the SEAI grant - was the paperwork for requesting payment/paperwork the electrician completes a physical paper form that needs to get posted back? From reading a couple of posts in the recent pages of this thread that would appear to be the case, and my electrician is adamant it's a paper form he needs to complete too.

However, I applied for the grant online on the 21/03, and I was sent 2 emails after it was approved, one that I am supposed to forward to the electrician that they then submit (all online), and another for me that I also complete online with fields for me to attach all the docs like certs, invoices, photos etc.

The electrician cannot seem to comprehend this and is insistent I need to print page 2 of some form, it took 10 mins on the phone to get him to even give me his email address lol. Sent it to him now so hopefully he just fills it out without more consternation, but I just want to check has the process changed recently or is he completely nuts - he's done lots of ev charger installs since christmas he says so I'm pretty confused! Only explanation is the process changed very recently?

I dont know about any recent changes but the process was that the electrician provides his physical cert and he also has to fill out an SEAI form and sign that. So, your electrician is correct as far as I can tell from your post.

But, maybe it has all gone online since I did it. Do the forms that you were given have a section for him to physically sign? If he has to sign it then it needs to be printed and uploaded, which is the same thing really as what he told you.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Thanks for the reply.

The area for the signature in the form allows you to type or draw in it, and a Submit button underneath - its definitely intended to be completed online, see the screenshot of the bottom of the form below.

I'll cut him some slack so as it does appear to be a recent change - I was getting pretty pissed the way he was explaining slowly to me about printing page 2 of some form etc. like I was a simpleton when I can plainly see it's all online!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rob185

Can the SEAI Letter of Offer be extended? My car delivery has been delayed by more than 6 months so when it arrives will be after the letter of offer expiry date.

I can't see anything on the SEAI website which clariifes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yes, it's a very recent change. You will get email notification when he submits his side.

What SEAI used recommend is you cancel your offer and submit a new application which gives you another 6 months. Not sure if that process has changed

getting a new letter of offer only takes a few days and done online so not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no, I got my meter installed and they asked me to get a letter from the garage to confirm it’s ordered and delayed. That replaces the requirements for a photo of the car and the VLC.

If it’s not installed they ask you to cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Anyone know what the water resistance needs to be for the grant?

I was looking at

this one which is shown fitted outdoors but is only IP55, most are IP65!

thats the same waterproof rating.

just a different dust rating

• IP5X: Dust resistant. Some dust may get through, but it won’t be enough to damage the product.
    • IP6X: “None shall pass!” This product is fully dust tight.

• IPX5: Can resist a sustained, low-pressure water jet spray.
    • IPX6: Can resist high-pressure, heavy sprays of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Given the cost of installation, not sure why you wouldn't go for the best weather proofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Guys someone might have an answer for me.

I just saw another install from NMD where he has the extendable arm that goes across a footpath at height.

I'll be in this situation next year and I was wondering will I need planning permission to install this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've asked them (NMD) but they have not replied.

There is 2 things at play here.

Are there any exemptions for it? I don't believe there is. Any structure higher than 1.2m forward of the front building line requires planning. So the question is does this constitute a structure or works? You could lodge a Section 5 Application now. This is an official application that askes the Council to confirm if the proposal as described constitutes works and thus requires planning.

Now Planning is the least of my worries here. My big concern is over sailing of the public Carraige Way, which the path forms part of. I don't believe you will get Permission for a structure that over hangs the path like this. There are Bye Laws and Regulations for Local Authorities to follow when installing anything on the footpaths etc but all the regs state that these are for Authorities, no private residences.

My "Side Hustle" is Planning Applications and i'd love to test the case here, but nobody has approached me about it yet.

The latest one you have seen is in the Dublin 11/9 area. In and around the Iona Road (I know the exact address but i wont post it publicaly) and this area is specifically sensitive with regards to development and its an ACA Area. I would imagine if anyone is going to complain, it will be residents in this area. I've lodged 3 applications in and around this area and all 3 were met with objections from residents and Residents Associations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I definitely will have an objection. The next door neighbour has already lodged a complaint with a minor problem that my architect has deemed incredibly small (petty).

Also the house is an old (1888) house and is likely a protected structure in an area that might not look favourably on this.

It's looking more and more likely that in a year's time I'll have to sell the EV and look at another diesel. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,322 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Grant forms were delivered to SEAI on the 11th of March

They only received them in their office on the 30th of March, big delay with their mailroom I was told and it will take a further 6-8 weeks if everything goes smoothly and ill get paid

So looking at May

Fucking ridiculous but typical Ireland and state bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

What's the big deal, you'll get your it money in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Alright money bags!!! 😀

Maybe some people need the money to pay for something else, little bit of inflation going on at the moment.

Thanks for the info was going to contact them to get an idea of how long it would be. Sent the application and paperwork 2 weeks ago.

It was quick for solar panels (couple of weeks) but that was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Quick question if anyone has myenergi hardware for solar system.

I have Zappi, Harvi, Eddi and hub setup. The Eddi drops ever so often (not much distance between that and the zappi which is set as the master so that shouldn't be the issue). Just wondering if anyone with similar setup has that issue too.

Have to say the myenergi is great, I've given up social media nearly now and spend a lot of time on it tracking the energy usage. I think that alone helps the energy consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I got an untethered charger for one simple reason: my driveway is short and has no gate. I don't want to draw attention to the charge point, especially as we're the only ones on the street who have one. Not that I'm worried about others charging: the EO is set to only let the juice flow during night hours. Just don't want a big cable tempting someone to steal it for the copper.

I sent them an email about this because the time zones in the app are a mess. They advised me to set it to GMT Standard Time which they said automatically adjusts for daylight savings time. Seems to be working: charger starts charging at midnight.

Advertisement