Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

SWA is not mad expensive, I took up my driveway and laid SWAs for chargepoint and 3 sensor lights and 2 ethernet cables, think it came to just over a hundred from local electrical supplier for them all, buried under new concrete driveway now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Expensive or not (and materials will have a markup as well from a fitter) grounds works doesn't appear to be factored into the cheaper quote. Shruggo. You can check out the supply costs directly on the Anderson site. Before brexit folks where getting them installed here for 1800 euro or less, it's some markup to be heading towards 3200. Great unit though, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Who said there are supply chain issues.....Just paid for my Zappi on Monday evening and they are fitting it tomorrow!😀 I thought I would be waiting a few weeks.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

You're right @Manion, groundowork not included in cheaper quote but again, we're talking about raising a few cobblelocks. I asked the crew to quote me for groundwork too. While awaiting a quote, they want to know do I need an adaptive fuse or not. Andersen has it listed at a cost of 120 pounds. For the same price, they also list a 'basic solar pack' so wondering should I go for that instead since the house has solar panels (please don't say go for both)

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm not an electrician or an installer so best to confirm with whomever you go with. Both the Adaptive fuse (really bad name) and Basic solar pack amount to the same thing, a Grid CT Clamp Sensor connected to the charger. I don't have solar but on the App it has all the stuff set up and registering zero and I just have the Adaptive fuse. Main factors to consider if you want load balancing (Adaptive fuse) is do you want the piece of mind to know what you can plug in at night and the car will get the best possible charge without disrupting the house? Getting one installed afterwards is going to cost you the call out fee and the material.

The issue with the ground work is they expect one electrician to install two units on a give day. Add in ground work and now you need either two people or more time. Not saying the price is justified but it's definitely more work. Funny this topic came up, I was just walking the dog this evening and came across an exposed SWA in the estate. Just popped out of the ground and run for about 4 meters and inch off the ground. Compo claim in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Do you mind me asking who's doing your install and location? If you would prefer a pm

hi folks,

got a quote to install the zappi in dublin.. based on our house with only one electric shower - they reckoned we don't need a load balancer?

anyway i think im still going to go with the vw connected charger at 760 and hopefully get it installed for around 300 and claim the grant. Not sure if the 300 is a realistic install figure. VW charge 800 for their install which seems very high!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You dont need a load balancer with the Zappi as its built in, once you install the CT clamp.

If you go with the VW charge point you need to buy the clamp, connector and cable separately. It doesnt come in the box, unlike the Zappi.

Thanks - im sure an electrician would know... but do you have links you can share on the clamp/connector/

• Advertisement

Go back a few pages on this thread. I think I gave you that info already.

An electrician wont know unless he has fitted the VW charge point already. They will have no idea whats in the box until he opens it the first time and you have to read the manual to see what clamps are supported.

EDIT: Post 5143 on this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Best get some quotes from electricians first before you commit to buying the VW unit and then all the associated bits and bobs you need.

apologies you did...

anyone know of an installer in north dublin that has done the VW charger install?

Just to clarify, the install cost should be the exact same for Zappi and VW charge points. The extra bits you need to buy for the VW charge point are small money and you can buy those yourself and have them ready to go. It shouldnt turn anyone off buying it if thats the unit they want.

The actual install for both charge points is the same.... mount it, connect to CU, wire up the clamp.... identitcal... so labour should be the same.

Its not specific to Radionics so you should be able to source it somewhere else… eBay, Amazon etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd walk from anywhere that reckons an electric shower and car charging at the same time does not need load balancing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Pretty well known Dublin ev installer. Think the zappi they fit had it so maybe that's why they said it wasn't needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is what they could have meant. You may not need an external load balancer/priority switch.

The Zappi and the Wallbox Pulser have it built in with the required clamps. Fitted the Wallbox to my father in laws with the load balancer built in as he had lower income supply and an electric shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you are using a charger like the Ohme, EO, Wallbox or Zappi, you don’t need it, as it’s built in to the charger.

Hi folks,

This link lists the load sensing parts that works with vw chargers. Talking to charger installer and they wanted to charge me 199 just for the parts and challenged where I'd got my info from re the parts id ordered from rs

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Was trying to work out how to set the timer for the Zappi coming straight from the grid without any solar panels and it wasn’t explained very well in the manual.

when you set your time under “Boost timer” you need to set it to Eco ++ at the bottom centre of the screen. This means that, once you plug the charger in it doesn’t start straight away, which it does on “Fast”.

once it’s set like this, the Zappi goes a pink colour and once the timer starts it switches to white. Only drawback I can see is that if you want to charge outside the timer you need to switch from “Evo++” to “Fast”

hope this helps someone and if there's something I missing, please let me know.

thanks for the help on here again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Would it not be easier to use the timer in the car?

I did try that however that’s where I couldn’t work out how to set the Zappi. If it’s set to “Fast” as soon as I plug it into the car it starts charging and ignores the timer. There are other lock/unlock instructions on the Zappi but I couldn’t make head nor tail of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just wondering what the wait time on getting grant back is and how do you know what stage you're at. Already had it sent back as one date was missing. Returned it and have heard nothing in over a month. Install in Jan, when letter got back yo us, paperwork was stamped as received Feb 7th, this was sent back a week or two later and have heard nothing since.

Anyone got any info?

10 to 12 weeks I believe.

That's annoying alright. I have the timer set on the superb and the led beside the car socket flashes 10 times to indicate it's in timer mode when I plug it in, I don't have any timers set on the EO, there's an override button on the car that I use if I want it to start charging immediately. Strange that the Zappi overrides the car timer. Can you use the car app to put it back in timer mode?

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried various combinations of setting the car timer to start with the Zappi but as soon as I plug in the Zappi it starts charging. I can understand the logic if there are solar panels involved. As it is, it works, but I do have to switch from “Eco++” to “Fast” on the Zappi if I want it to charge outside of the timer hours. That said I don’t have the wifi option which might make it easier than setting it on the actual device.

• Advertisement

That would remind you of trying to set a recording on an old Mitsubishi video recorder 🤔, you inevitably ended up recording the shopping channel at 2am...

Advertisement