Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That was fast. Was there much damage after all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just to be clear, the app is handy but it’s not strictly required. Most of the charging schedules are done by the car but the one thing I like is that you can input your kWh unit rate and it keeps track of much your charging costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

For anyone wondering what the current processing times are for the grant

We received our payment this week after submitting our application 10 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Hi folks. I've got a new EV hopefully arriving sometime in Q3... fingers crossed... because given the various production and supply issues we seem to have got very lucky.

I have a few silly questions, as the dealer really wasn't much help with this (and in fairness instead of giving me a bad answer he told me straight out he doesn't know a thing about home chargers).

1. What is the kind of lead time on getting a home charger installed?
    2. We have external insulation on the house; anyone had a charger mounted on external insulation before?

Thanks so much.

Post edited by dingbat on

• Advertisement

Depends on the car, VW/SKODA etc still don’t have the timing schedule working. So, it’s much better having the app

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Yeah, I was aware of the ongoing VAG snafu with car-managed timed charging, but I'm not affected by that at present as the car is a Kia.

The other app to which I'm referring seems to even be hit or miss on even the basics such as reporting whether or not it's charging a vehicle, let alone anything else, so it could be argued to be a particularly poor implementation. I'd be keen to have some of the smart features on it though to monitor the car's usage/draw, etc. over time, as well as the potential for solar integration, so Wallbox seems like a good way to proceed to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I got a Zappi a few weeks ago and by the time I had paid online they were out fitting it in 2 days....now I ordered the black Zappi and they has them in stock at the time but from previous conversations he said 2-3 weeks at most.

No experience of external insulation but I cant see why it would be an issue...but I don't know.

Dont order your EV charger until you have a firm date you are going to take delivery of your car, as you only get 6 months to claim back the €600.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Hi folks,

Got my vw charger installed today. Nice and neat. Had to leave in a hurry so didn't quite get the app working right. I was able to connect to the charger hotspot but unable to get it to connect to my wifi. It shouldn't be a signal strength issue as my wifi point is only 5 feet away from the charger inside the wall. I'm kinda annoyed I didn't ask the installer to run an Ethernet cable but it's done now so can't go down that road. Has anyone had issues connecting chargers to wifi? I've had issues before where some devices would only work with 2.4gz signals. I'll have a better play around tomorrow when I get back. I could see the CT clamp and settings all look correct. Install cost me 1250. I supplied the charger. Tails, new earth rod and new earth to fuse board required. Installer was there from 9 to 4.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I have got so many mixed messages from companies who off EV installations that I decided to use the electrician I have used for years. I know his work and he is very tidy. He hasn't done an EV charger installation yet but he is happy that he can do it following all the guidelines that are set out.

So, I need to get the EV charger myself and from doing some research I am happy with the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Seen it on Amazon UK but I have a few questions so if anyone has done similar can they help answer them?

1. Is this the correct one?
    2. Do I need the holder and brackets also?

• Advertisement

just back home and have the charger online - it won't connect to my netgear orbi ax600 wifi.. i had a TP link wifi extender lying around so plugged that in and configured to transmit 2.4gh and connected fine and i was able to pair in the app... bit annoying to have to use the extender but at least im online..

where are you based? i used ev power ireland who cover meath/dublin and would sort nationwide i think. I had my own charger but they will supply wallbox and zappi whichever you prefer..

Tidy install. Can't really see the charger from the front of the house which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I m based in Kilkenny, and just going to use my own electrician at this stage.

Hi folks,

Anyone else have the vw charger? I don't see anything in the app about scheduling charging sessions?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

it doesn’t have it. That’s done by the car but as we know the VWs are broken in that feature. We need the next VW software (v2.4) to fix that.

Anybody know the difference between the wallbox pulsar plus and the pulsar max?

The Ol’Man has the plus but was invited by walk box to become a tester fit the max and they’ll change out the unit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Anybody know of any decent portable solar panels to charge EVs on the fly? I imagine a decent product like that is a logical next step

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Most cars need at a min 1.4 kW charge rate, to get that you will need about 4+ solar PV panels (at a min) more than likely 5+ so you are looking at 8m2 of standard domestic PV panels for a start. Not practical and worth the hassle

I see some very high end concept cars have them built into the roof but again these were only generating 860W and would only generate a few kM of range at best

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

what can you actually do with the app integration on with the vw charger? looks like start/stop charging/enable/disable rfid access and see prior charging sessions? i guess active session? and car charge level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You may find it doesn't have the rig to allow him test the unit, my quy day had specific box which mimicked a car and he connected the merger rig to it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, thats about it.

The idea is that most of the other functionality is driven by the car and you use the same app for that so the app will allow you to set schedules etc but the car s/w has to be updated first.

Thanks hopefully my gtx comes with at least version 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Did you get any email when they receive your application?

I sent mine in by post just a bit over a month ago and haven't heard anything yet. The due date for mine is 5th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

No email received. We did ring them to confirm after about 5 weeks. They confirmed at that point that all was good and progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Mandatory Electrical Protection -

Does anyone know what exactly is required here for a 7kw EV charger? Do I need an RCBO or will a RCCB do? Can it be 1 pole or does it need to be 1P+N? I presume it needs to be 40amp?

Also am I right in thinking I need a separate isolation switch within 1m of the charger? Again I presume outdoor rated 40 amp?

I have a Morec charger which supposedly has all sorts of protection built in anyway!

40a RCBO. It also have to be a particular standard. I can’t quite the exact as I’m not a sparks.

Isolation switch also with 1m/2m of the chargepoint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Finally took the plunge and acquired a Zoe Z.E. 40 over the weekend. Collecting it in 2 weeks or so. I'd like to start the process of arranging a wall charger.

Best first step?

Any recommendations for charger model?

What's the lead time like at the moment in the Dublin area?

Anyone doing all-in service, i.e. wallbox and fitting?

Try ev power Ireland. They supply and fit. Before buying anything I'd recommend having an electrician come take a look to see if any additional work's required

• Advertisement

Advertisement