Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can't imagine any sparks worth their salt will sign off on another sparks' work.

Best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Can someone PM me reasonably priced installers in Cork. Got an electrician friend of mine to install a while ago but he did as a nixer and cant sign off and I cant find someone to sign off on it for me for a reasonable amount.

What do you consider reasonable for the callout, inspect the work, submit a cert and fill-in the grant paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

KCross wrote: »
    What do you consider reasonable for the callout, inspect the work, submit a cert and fill-in the grant paperwork?

I got a price of 300 off a guy I know.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I got a price of 300 off a guy I know.

That’s a tad high alright. I doubt you’ll get it below 200 though.

I have a guy calling end of next week. If I’m happy with him I’ll PM you his name afterwards and you can at least get a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

That’s a tad high alright. I doubt you’ll get it below 200 though.

I have a guy calling end of next week. If I’m happy with him I’ll PM you his name afterwards and you can at least get a quote.

Sound, ya my buddy was saying that 200 is about the norm all right. He was 300 as he's with a bigger company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

So if people were going to buy a 7kW home charger now what would they go for?
    No solar panels and no electrical shower in the house

gar wrote: »
    So if people were going to buy a 7kW home charger now what would they go for?
    No solar panels and no electrical shower in the house

It's a bit like saying... if you were buying a car now what would you buy! ;)

You need to tell us...
    What features do you want?
    Whats your budget?

If you want cheap and cheerful, Rolec is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

It's a bit like saying... if you were buying a car now what would you buy! ;)

You need to tell us...
    What features do you want?
    Whats your budget?

If you want cheap and cheerful, Rolec is a good option.

Fair enough points
    Sadly not for me its for my sister.
    I think unthethered would be preferred
    No budget set
    display ideally to show consumption for claiming back with work.

If was me would be zappi but i seem to have tunnel vision for it and looking for others opinions

gar wrote: »
    Fair enough points
    Sadly not for me its for my sister.
    I think unthethered would be preferred
    No budget set
    display ideally to show consumption for claiming back with work.

If was me would be zappi but i seem to have tunnel vision for it and looking for others opinions

All new EV's will have a Type 2 charge port. Unless she's buying an old Leaf I'd be more inclined to go tethered type 2 at this stage.

The Rolec's have an optional kWh meter that can be added which she can use to track consumption.

Off the shelf there isnt a whole pile to pick from.... Rolec, Zappi, Garo, Tesla and then some high end ones like Andersen, BMW wallbox etc.

If all she wants is a dumb charge point that she plugs in and no interaction with it (WiFi, load balancing etc) then the Rolec is probably the best option off the shelf.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone know if there's any grant for businesses? Restaurants, hotels, B&Bs, Shops etc?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if there's any grant for businesses? Restaurants, hotels, B&Bs, Shops etc?

AFAIK it’s just the ACA scheme. No grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AFAIK it’s just the ACA scheme. No grants.

Which is pretty good. For anyone not understanding what that means, the ACA (accelerated capital allowance) lets a business install a charge point for their employees and deduct the full cost of the installation (say €1000) from their income immediately, saving full corporation tax on the purchase and not having to capitalise the install while only able to claim a little bit back every year (like a company has to do when they buy any other fixed assets like machinery, furniture, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FTimon

Folks
    I got a Zappi just over a month ago. Not sure how good the Electriction was as everything seemed to be a problem. And charged 1300 euro in the end
    It’s 25meters from fuse box but ducting in place.

It started to trip the circuit breaker a week ago and not is completely dead.
    Any ideas.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

FTimon wrote: »
    Folks
    I got a Zappi just over a month ago. Not sure how good the Electriction was as everything seemed to be a problem. And charged 1300 euro in the end

Any ideas.

Have you talked to your electrician about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Have you talked to your electrician about this?

This. It's a brand new and very expensive install. Get on to the installer ASAP and don't accept any delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭denismc

FTimon wrote: »
    Folks

Any ideas.

Do you have an electric shower? There is a setting in the Zappi that limits the Grid current which prevents your Zappi from drawing too much current while your shower is running.
    If the Grid limit hasn't been set then it maybe the problem.

1300 is very expensive for that kind of install, prices seem to be going up every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey all.

I've just moved into a house with 3-phase supply and an in place power shower.

I need to get the fuse board upgraded but also want to get an EV charge point as we have just collected our Ionic.

The Zappi seems like a good charger, but I read earlier that it doesnt do fast charging that I would like to take advantage of since I have a 3-phase supply.

We also plan on getting a second EV in the next 12 months or so.

What are my options here?

Thanks

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hey all.

I've just moved into a house with 3-phase supply and an in place power shower.

I need to get the fuse board upgraded but also want to get an EV charge point as we have just collected our Ionic.

The Zappi seems like a good charger, but I read earlier that it doesnt do fast charging that I would like to take advantage of since I have a 3-phase supply.

We also plan on getting a second EV in the next 12 months or so.

What are my options here?

Thanks

The Ioniq wont be able to take advantage of 3ph since it only has a 1ph charger.

Most EVs don’t support it but it looks like some more will start to support it.

Even if you have a 1ph car you can still take advantage of 3ph when you get the 2nd EV by putting a second charge point on one of the other phases so both might be able to charge at 7kW each.... but you need to see what you MIC is first... do you know? It might be on your bill.

So, it’s not just down to the charge point. The car and your MIC are equally as important.

The Ioniq wont be able to take advantage of 3ph since it only has a 1ph charger.

Most EVs don’t support it but it looks like some more will start to support it.

Even if you have a 1ph car you can still take advantage of 3ph when you get the 2nd EV by putting a second charge point on one of the other phases so both might be able to charge at 7kW each.... but you need to see what you MIC is first... do you know? It might be on your bill.

So, it’s not just down to the charge point. The car and your MIC are equally as important.

Hmm well that sucks!

So what does that mean for charge times with the Ionic?
    I was hoping to get a single fast charger so wouldnt need a second point for the second car.

I'm literally only in the house a week so on idea of MIC yet...where would I find this in the absence of a bill?

Hmm well that sucks!

Every EV has an onboard AC charger and it will be either 1ph or 3ph and it will have a max charge rate.

Ioniq has 1ph and supports upto 7kW so thats the max you can charge it at.

28kWh battery so 0-100% in ~4hrs. Not exact figures but close enough.

Cars like the i3, Tesla, Zoe etc support 3ph so you can get 11kW or maybe even 16kW from them but that would depend on your MIC and whether you have the available power to provide that level of power to a charge point and still have enough to run the rest of the house (heat pumps etc).

Its very unusual for a house in this country to have 3ph. Does it have some large electricity consumer?.... look out the back window there... is there a swimming pool?! :)

I'm literally only in the house a week so on idea of MIC yet...where would I find this in the absence of a bill?

I'd say you'd need to call ESB Networks to get the info or just get an old bill from the last owner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hmm well that sucks!

I was hoping to get a single fast charger so wouldnt need a second point for the second car.

You want a fast charger like to see in the garages?
    What are they, 20k give or take?

You'll be fine. Unless you do a huge commutes, you don't need to charge both cars every night

And when you charge, the cars are rarely completely empty. Ioniq charges from completely empty to completely full in about 4:15 hours

The coming generations of EVs are likely to have much bigger batteries though. Already you would barely be able to half charge a Tesla Model S 100 during the night rate hours on a 7.2kW charger

kceire wrote: »
    You want a fast charger like to see in the garages?
    What are they, 20k give or take?

Not necessarily that fast but was hoping faster than standard domestic.

Every EV has an onboard AC charger and it will be either 1ph or 3ph and it will have a max charge rate.

Ioniq has 1ph and supports upto 7kW so thats the max you can charge it at.

28kWh battery so 0-100% in ~4hrs. Not exact figures but close enough.

Cars like the i3, Tesla, Zoe etc support 3ph so you can get 11kW or maybe even 16kW from them but that would depend on your MIC and whether you have the available power to provide that level of power to a charge point and still have enough to run the rest of the house (heat pumps etc).

Its very unusual for a house in this country to have 3ph. Does it have some large electricity consumer?.... look out the back window there... is there a swimming pool?! :)

I'd say you'd need to call ESB Networks to get the info or just get an old bill from the last owner.

Yeah it is unusual but that seems to be the case according to the meter, I've only just bought it so dunno why they had it... previous owner was an engineer so possibly wad up to something... no sign of grow lamps anywhere!

Not necessarily that fast but was hoping faster than standard domestic.

You can install a 3 phase 32A charger

Then if you buy a Tesla Model S that has the optional dual chargers, you can charge it at 22kW AC provided your supply is good enough :D

And you can still use it with your Ioniq, but it will only take one phase of it, so just 7.2kW

There's some future proofing there! Albeit we might all have CCS DC fast chargers at home in a decade or more...

the way battery tech is going i think we will need to.
    But i guess you don't need to charge to 100% if 25% gets you 200km!

the way battery tech is going i think we will need to.
    But i guess you don't need to charge to 100% if 25% gets you 200km!

This is it. And if you only do 100km per day, then your not charging from 0 every night.

And the average Irish car only does 44km per day...

I do average mileage, my EV (Ioniq) has the smallest battery EV you can buy today. Yet I only charge about twice a week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

unkel wrote: »
    And the average Irish car only does 44km per day

I’d love to see this stat excluding all the cars that sit at home all day while owner has gotten bus/train to work.

What’s the average usage for a daily driver??

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    I’d love to see this stat excluding all the cars that sit at home all day while owner has gotten bus/train to work.

What’s the average usage for a daily driver??

I use my car every day.
    I commute north Dublin suburb to city center.
    Then I use my car to bust various construction sites within Dublin.
    My max daily would be about 40km, som days half that!

Advertisement