Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mine will be 12km a day, my wife's will be under 20km so electric was a no brainer.

Though i will be waiting until there is a choice of fully electric estate cars

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

daheff wrote: »
    What’s the average usage for a daily driver??

Last time I looked the average Irish car did 16k km per year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I do about 75kms per day .6 times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

I’d love to see this stat excluding all the cars that sit at home all day while owner has gotten bus/train to work.

What’s the average usage for a daily driver??

Why would you love to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

This may not be the right place, but I'm hoping to change to an EV next year. At present we're doing up some rooms upstairs so to avoid the hassle of someone ripping up floorboards again next year for a charger, I'd like to run a cable from the back of the house (trip switch) to the porch. I won't be connecting anything, just running the cable and taping it as future provision. What cable do I need to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

budhabob wrote: »
    This may not be the right place, but I'm hoping to change to an EV next year. At present we're doing up some rooms upstairs so to avoid the hassle of someone ripping up floorboards again next year for a charger, I'd like to run a cable from the back of the house (trip switch) to the porch. I won't be connecting anything, just running the cable and taping it as future provision. What cable do I need to get?

The simplest thing would be 10sqmm cable. That will ensure you can have a 32A charge point.

However, some other considerations....
    - Any chance you would have two EV's in future? If yes, then you should run 2 cables... 10sqmm each.
    - Do you have any high electricity consumers in the house like an electric shower or a heat pump? If yes, then you might also consider putting an extra cable in so that the charge point can measure the house load and reduce its current accordingly to ensure that you dont blow a fuse. You need shielded cable for that like shielded ethernet cable for example.

Another option, if you cant answer the above questions yet, is just put in a duct now with a draw string in it and that way when you do decide you can pull the cables then without having to rip anything up.

Looking to get ready to install a charging point
    Looking at getting 55 feet of square cable and have to get a priority switch as have 2 power showers. Already have priority switch so the two showers can't operate at same time but I would guess I need another for charging point separate.
    Plus will have to get 32amp breaker too
    The fuse box main fuse is 63amp
    Here's the priority switch was looking at.will it suit

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/H-1121.html?name=Priority+&type=simple

Cheers

Looking to get ready to install a charging point
    ...have to get a priority switch as have 2 power showers. Already have priority switch so the two showers can't operate at same time but I would guess I need another for charging point separate.

That depends on the charge point you buy.
    Some charge points can sense the house load and drop the charge rate to ensure you dont blow the fuse, hence no need for a priority switch for those charge points.

Did you have a specific charge point in mind?

KCross wrote: »
    That depends on the charge point you buy.
    Some charge points can sense the house load and drop the charge rate to ensure you dont blow the fuse, hence no need for a priority switch for those charge points.

Did you have a specific charge point in mind?

Was looking at zappi charging point and also
    From ev onestop one of there charging point
    With zappi I dont need priority switch I think but with ev onestop charging point I would I think. Which be better option and work out cheaper but future proof

Was looking at zappi charging point and also
    From ev onestop one of there charging point
    With zappi I dont need priority switch I think but with ev onestop charging point I would I think. Which be better option and work out cheaper but future proof

Correct, Zappi doesnt need priority switch.

And I think evonestop generally only sell Rolec's and you would need a priority switch for them.

A priority switch is going to cost you about €150-200 fitted so just factor that into the cost between the two to see which one makes more sense financially.

The Zappi has other more advanced features so that would get my vote over a Rolec but each to their own.

And the issue with priority switches is that they are binary... its either on or off.... with the Zappi style of doing it you can still take a shower while the car is charging and vice versa just that the car charge rate will ramp down when the shower is started. The priority switch will cut the charge session completely and depending on timers in the car might not restart at all.

• Advertisement

Correct, Zappi doesnt need priority switch.

And I think evonestop generally only sell Rolec's and you would need a priority switch for them.

A priority switch is going to cost you about €150-200 fitted so just factor that into the cost between the two to see which one makes more sense financially.

The Zappi has other more advanced features so that would get my vote over a Rolec but each to their own.

And the issue with priority switches is that they are binary... its either on or off.... with the Zappi style of doing it you can still take a shower while the car is charging and vice versa just that the car charge rate will ramp down when the shower is started. The priority switch will cut the charge session completely and depending on timers in the car might not restart at all.
    Cheers for that.
    Think autoelectric is selling zappi at 615 euros at moment till they change to new zappi
    I have 56 feet of powee cable feed from fuse box to where I be putting charge point in front on side of house. Would 6square cable be ok as be getting 32amp charger or should I go 10 square cable. My esb mains fuse is 63amp. So was thinking 32amp or 40amp breaker for charger.

I have 56 feet of powee cable feed from fuse box to where I be putting charge point in front on side of house. Would 6square cable be ok as be getting 32amp charger or should I go 10 square cable. My esb mains fuse is 63amp. So was thinking 32amp or 40amp breaker for charger.

For that distance I'd go with 10sqmm. The difference in price isnt much as long as its not SWA cable that you need.

For that distance I'd go with 10sqmm. The difference in price isnt much as long as its not SWA cable that you need.

It be mostly outdoor cable as be running outside unless the electrician can somehow run different route but the electrician said running along side of house outside in ducting be easiest. I get second opinion.
    I planning to do this in July when I get hybrid. If I bought zappi charger now. Is there a time limited if I bought now and applied for grant in end of July when I'm getting hybrid or do I have too apply for grant when I buy hybrid and buy charger then.just wondering. Sorry for questions.
    Cheers

It be mostly outdoor cable as be running outside unless the electrician can somehow run different route but the electrician said running along side of house outside in ducting be easiest. I get second opinion.
    I planning to do this in July when I get hybrid. If I bought zappi charger now. Is there a time limited if I bought now and applied for grant in end of July when I'm getting hybrid or do I have too apply for grant when I buy hybrid and buy charger then.just wondering. Sorry for questions.
    Cheers

I think you need to have grant approval BEFORE you do any works. Not sure if an invoice for the charger before that would be deemed ineligible or not.

The wording is
    "Do not commence any work before the start date on your Letter of Offer otherwise this expenditure will be deemed ineligible and you will not receive grant support for it."

Does "works" also include buying equipment. I dont know.

If I were you I'd buy the car, apply for the grant and then buy the charge point in that order.... unless someone else can confirm that the date on the invoice for the charge point doesnt matter.

I think you need to have grant approval BEFORE you do any works. Not sure if an invoice for the charger before that would be deemed ineligible or not.

The wording is
    "Do not commence any work before the start date on your Letter of Offer otherwise this expenditure will be deemed ineligible and you will not receive grant support for it."

Does "works" also include buying equipment. I dont know.

If I were you I'd buy the car, apply for the grant and then buy the charge point in that order.... unless someone else can confirm that the date on the invoice for the charge point doesnt matter.

Cheers Kcross.
    As I have esb 63amp main fuse . Should I get 32amp or 40amp breaker for 32amp zappi

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

My parents are currently in the middle of building their house and are thinking about getting a hybrid or fully electric car in next 12 months. They queried with builder if he could include a home chargepoint and the builder responded he could but it would be an extra €6k :eek::eek: I queried this with my parents as I thought surely they were mistaken, but they are adamant he stated this cost.

Is this at all normal for such a sourcing and installation of chargepoint? From going through this thread it seems to be a significantly lower amount and wonder if he is trying to pull a fast one on my parents. All insights appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bigslick wrote: »
    My parents are currently in the middle of building their house and are thinking about getting a hybrid or fully electric car in next 12 months. They queried with builder if he could include a home chargepoint and the builder responded he could but it would be an extra €6k :eek::eek: I queried this with my parents as I thought surely they were mistaken, but they are adamant he stated this cost.

Is this at all normal for such a sourcing and installation of chargepoint? From going through this thread it seems to be a significantly lower amount and wonder if he is trying to pull a fast one on my parents. All insights appreciated.

Should be about 10% of that cost to buy, little more to install since the trades are all onsite and thats before the grant.

Cheers Kcross.
    As I have esb 63amp main fuse . Should I get 32amp or 40amp breaker for 32amp zappi

It will be a 32A charge point so a 40A breaker.

They need a new builder! :)
    Easiest thing to do is tell him you want an outdoor socket where the charge point would be. Dont say anything about an EV..... you just want a standard outdoor socket, but do specify that the cable is rated for a 40A breaker and is a dedicated circuit (not tapped off any other circuit).

Then when they get an EV it will be an easy update to swap the socket for the charge point. It would literally be like wiring a plug and there would be no need to run cables etc as it would all be in place... just swap the socket for the charge point on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It will be a 32A charge point so a 40A breaker.

They need a new builder! :)
    Easiest thing to do is tell him you want an outdoor socket where the charge point would be. Dont say anything about an EV..... you just want a standard outdoor socket, but do specify that the cable is rated for a 40A breaker and is a dedicated circuit (not tapped off any other circuit).

Then when they get an EV it will be an easy update to swap the socket for the charge point. It would literally be like wiring a plug and there would be no need to run cables etc as it would all be in place... just swap the socket for the charge point on the wall.

KCross's plan is good. Go with that. €6K, they are having a laugh! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Soarer wrote: »
    Why would you love to see it?

i've got a kinky thing for statistics

• Advertisement

builder doesnt want to do the job. doesnt want to be seen to say no either, so price is quoted to deter them going ahead.

unkel wrote: »
    Last time I looked the average Irish car did 16k km per year

my point is how many of these cars sit on the driveway each day and are only really used at weekends? these cars skew the 16k a year stats.

i drive 65km daily. my missus does 5km at best.
    on average we do 35km eac

if we knew how much a daily driver did on average it would mean a better idea as to what optimal battery size should be for EVs (maybe 1.5x daily average +% factor for weather). if car companies knew this number then its the sweet spot for battery size with sales option to go bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

builder doesnt want to do the job. doesnt want to be seen to say no either, so price is quoted to deter them going ahead.

...or he's a rip off merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

The simplest thing would be 10sqmm cable. That will ensure you can have a 32A charge point.

However, some other considerations....
    - Any chance you would have two EV's in future? If yes, then you should run 2 cables... 10sqmm each.
    - Do you have any high electricity consumers in the house like an electric shower or a heat pump? If yes, then you might also consider putting an extra cable in so that the charge point can measure the house load and reduce its current accordingly to ensure that you dont blow a fuse. You need shielded cable for that like shielded ethernet cable for example.

Another option, if you cant answer the above questions yet, is just put in a duct now with a draw string in it and that way when you do decide you can pull the cables then without having to rip anything up.

KCross,
    Many thanks for the detailed response. To answer your questions, I hope we don't get a second car. We went down to one car 2 years ago, and living in Dublin the transport system is reasonable enough to hope that stays the same.
    As for the power load, we've only just taken out an electric shower, so other than that normal load I reckon.
    I'll try get the cable you suggest and have fun with perpendicular joists to the direction I want to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Hi all,

I have just received my approval letter for my EV Charger grant. I was thinking of getting the WallBox Pulsar from carcharger.ie, as I would like the fast charge with the 3ph I have the new Nissan Leaf 191. I got a quote for this €1150 plus €196 for priority switch as I have a power shower. The Zappi 32 amp tethered price is €1100.

Anyone recommend which one I they think I should buy? I know the zappi is €585 for 5m on electricautos.ie, €500-€600 for fitting seems very high.

Anybody know anyone in Cork, fitting these chargers cheaper. Would I be better off getting a local spark to fit for me.

Thanks for any help.
    Trevor

phat1 wrote: »

I have just received my approval letter for my EV Charger grant. I was thinking of getting the WallBox Pulsar from carcharger.ie, as I would like the fast charge with the 3ph I have the new Nissan Leaf 191.

The Leaf won’t be able to utilise 3ph.

Do you have 3ph in your house or is it for a work premise?

Hi Kcross, it just for at home but I would like the quickest way to charge the car. Am I better of getting the Zappi and then I don’t need the priority switch.

Thanks

Hi Kcross, it just for at home but I would like the quickest way to charge the car. Am I better of getting the Zappi and then I don’t need the priority switch.

Thanks

The fastest way to charge the car is via very expensive DC chargers which wont be financially viable for a domestic setting.

You will be using AC charging from your house and that means the max rate you can charge your 191 Leaf at is 32A(~7kW). Just ensure you get a charge point that supports 32A charging and has a Type 2 tethered cable.

The Zappi will negate the need for a priority switch, yes.

Going to go with the Wall Box Pulsar as it seems the best value at the moment, 750 euro after the grant of 600 is, bit of a sting but needs to be done, the charger will be out side all the time, hopefully it will be ok weather wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Going to go with the Wall Box Pulsar as it seems the best value at the moment, 750 euro after the grant of 600

So €1350 before grant? That seems extremely expensive. Why didn't you go for the Zappi that you got a quote for of €1100? It has a built-in priority switch

Most chargers are waterproof, they are designed to live outdoors in any weather

Advertisement