Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I’ve been waiting since April for the grant….how long in peoples experience does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

Life is too short without trying new experiences.

That's what I tell myself anyway..😊

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

For an ABL charger. I have the ABL 1W7221.

I am told I need a load management.

Does anyone have a link to buy one. My electrician cant seem to find a ABL compatible one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Im in a pretty poorly built 1974 home and electrics all fine, it's a bit mad a 1985 build needs attention.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yep, I’m in a 1984 semi D and had no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yea I wasn't expecting it , to be honest, but different companies more or less said the same , upgrade tails , earth wire , earth rod etc , lucky you that u didn't need it on your house , who done your install lol ? I will give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Can you let me know your install crowd too 🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No comparison mick not having a home charger makes for a much worse ev owning experience, you’ll probably have an ev for the rest of your life now, the cost of the charger will be forgotten about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Standard supply and install of the wallbox plus with load management is €1150 from Ecoplex and €1199 from carcharger.ie

Then grant comes back from that

Tails upgrades adds a bit of spice to the mix alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

That seems excessive, I started all the paper work for payment in late may, they returned the application a few times for issues( the first time I forgot to sign the form, the second time my photos disappeared) and I was paid the grant today, so it took about 3 months for, but I'd say the back and forth for the issues delayed things by about a month, it took about 6 weeks from sorting the issues to getting paid

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Always watching

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭D_D

Hi folks, does anyone know where best to purchase a Wallbox Pulsar Plus? Was looking on Amazon (.de and .es) and they're about €800 on there.

Supplied and fitted by Ecoplex for €1150. Grant comes back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is this Wallbox Pulsar Plus recommended? I see a few people mention it over the last couple of pages. I was looking at a wifi enabled one with load sensing and was looking at the EVBox Elvi but it got terrible reviews so I'm looking elsewhere. I want to be able to control it with an app, maybe some software updates if needed, and for it to turn off if I use the cooker or shower. I also had the house rewired a few years ago and the electrician put in 16 square cables, as far as i remember.

So the house is ready to go. I got the grant and I even had the electrician wire up the side of the house while he was doing another job. All I have to do is hand him the charger and he'll attach it. He offered to supply a box but I'd rather have more control over what goes in, and it'll probably work out cheaper as I'm sure he'll add on a few quid on top of the price of the charger for himself.

Am I causing myself extra work by trying to find the perfect smart charger, or is it worth putting time in to research the options? Electricity is electricity but I want a few bells and whistles, for example, to be able to turn charging on or off from the app.

I have no solar at the moment but would love to get it in over the next few years. I see the Zappi ones advertise they allow that, but I would presume all chargers have support for solar. Is that not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have no solar at the moment but would love to get it in over the next few years. I see the Zappi ones advertise they allow that, but I would presume all chargers have support for solar. Is that not the case?

That narrows the field alot. Most charge points, even smart ones, have no Solar PV integration. The Zappi is the best known one for that but there are some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus and it's working fine without any issues. It has the load balancing feature and in the future if I want to enable the Solar integration (as the plan is to get PV install at some point) it is just an option in the app to enable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Oh really? I must be missing something basic.

Do the Zappi's have two power feeds then, eg 1 from mains and 1 from PV? Otherwise if they're fed from the same source, I don't see how it could distinguish if the power is from the PVs or not.

But that's interesting. I was wondering why the Zappi's were so popular, but that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

What the Zappi does (and others do as well) is it has a CT clamp on your main ESB incomer to see if you are importing or exporting electricity. If you are exporting electricity then your PV panels are producing more electricity than you are using in your house. The Zappi will then start charging your car once a set export rate is achieved. The graph below from 2 days ago and demonstrates how it works.

The red line is my solar PV and the green line is my main ESB incomer. As you can see because of the fantastic weather I was exporting nearly 2kW by half nine. I then plugged the Zappi (blue line) into the EV and it started tracking my PV production and only letting me export about 100-200 watts. One of the kids had a shower at 11am and the heat pump came on and the Zappi dropped the charging down to 1.4kW (I have it on Eco mode if it was Eco+ it would have stopped and recommenced once the heat pump switched off.) I then went out and did a few jobs around lunch time and you can see my export went through the roof.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

does anyone have experience with home energy management systems? im researching solar at the moment and have the vw eli charger which supports hems - kcross posted a link to a hager unit a while back.. im just curious if any solar installers around dublin area would be up to speed to installing solar with hems or is that just a given? for example does the hems need to go on the fuser/consumer board? im guessing a wire then goes from that to the charger? i know the easy option seems to be use a zappi if interested in solar and to be honest when i got the charger id no intention of solar and i probably don't for at least a year but just trying to figure out options if i ever go down that road

I don’t think any installers will have a clue about that yet. It’s a new standard that was devised and not that many products yet support it. The Hager one I gave you is one of the very few and it’s ridiculously priced for what it gives you.

I am hoping there will be some open source projects start supporting it in future and you could use a raspberry pi or such to drive it.

If you find something please do post it as I’ll be happy to trial it as long as it’s not stupid money.

Did I read somewhere on boards that the SEAI grant is changing to only allow smart chargers from September?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

That’s what they’ve said. Not confirmed/live yet.

Ok thanks,

I planning to have ABL charger installed next week. Should I continue or abort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

What is the definition of a smart charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cardhappy69

I applied for the grant and got approved and paid. I had to get a registered electrician to sign work done, he gave me a copy of this which I had to send with my application. He also had to send in a copy as well but separate cover! I bought the charger direct from supplier in Dundalk myself and had to send in invoice for this. The documents that have to be attached for the grant are well detailed in the grant application. It cost me about 1000€ for everything and got €600 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi All,

Under the changes to the grant, i'm thinking of getting a charger installed in my parents house for when we visit as the charging infrastructure local to them is very poor. In my own house we are getting a zappi installed as have PV. What is the cheapest / simplest yet reliable charger available? Doesnt need any smarts whatsoever.

And if there are any recommendations for installers in Cork of such a charger please let me know.

• Advertisement

You apply for approval first and presumably if you have approval already under the current rules then that would apply for you in Sept too.

Maybe ask them but you'd expect them to honour your existing approval and only apply the new rules for new approvals once its announced.

Advertisement