Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The terms and conditions say that if the t&cs are revised, then the revised t&cs apply to the application. If the charger is going to be installed before the end of August, get it installed and submit the paperwork immediately.

The SEAI rules say that

From September 2022 the EV Home Charger Grant Scheme will only support smart chargers registered on Triple E. 

Currently, there is only one charger (Ohme Home Pro) that is registered as grant eligible. There are other chargers registered on Triple E, but they don't have the extra qualification data on their entries. This may change in the next two weeks.

The criteria are (https://www.seai.ie/publications/Electric_Vehicles_and_Associated_Charging_Equipment.pdf):

The charger must be able to receive, send, and process information, and react to it by adjusting the rate of charging or discharging.

The charger must be capable of adjusting its operation based on data from an external device such as a power meter.

The charger must be able to monitor, record and transmit energy consumption.

The charger must be capable of displaying the status of charging equipment on the equipment itself through either LIGHTS, LEDs, DISPLAY or MIXTURE.

The charger must inhibit Mode 1 and Mode 2 charging.

The charger must have under-voltage and over-voltage cut-out protection.

The charger must be configured from factory to have a fail-safe mode when the communication with external source breaks down.

Operating manual demonstrating all the capabilities listed here must be available.

IP Rating 44 to 69.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Looking for input from the better informed. Trying to work out the best charging solution without upgrading tails. I thought I had 16mm^2 tails, but I checked and it looks like they are 10mm^2. Currently using Rolec dumb charger to charge 24 Leaf (so type 1 charger). Taking delivery of Model 3 next month, so getting type 2 charger installed too (most likely hypervolt 2.0). Want to keep the Rolec for convenience and have the new charger installed beside it. Rolec is on priority switch with electric shower.

I know the Hypervolt 2.0 has load balancing, but I would need to run a new cable from the CU under normal circumstances. I just had an idea; what if I install a 3 position rotary switch? That way, only 1 charger can be powered at any one time, or both powered off. I could then use the existing cable run to run both chargers. Thoughts, issues, downfalls, or all good?

Looking here => https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/cam-switches/2637020?cm_mmc=IE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_IE_EN_Switches_Whoop_HI-_-(IE:Whoop!)+Cam+Switches-_-2637020&matchtype=&aud-772940707919:pla-301254456891&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxveXBhDDARIsAI0Q0x14vEkt5xuuNC3Z1zbyOZXUc24RLKQeTNt5kUpgdQH2xtHIqkbtBfQaAl-EEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That's good to know - they just notified me that payment is incoming (I like those sorts of mails after the summer hols 😀)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Each external fixed appliance needs it's own circuit. You also won't get a reputable installer to put in a charger on 10sq tails.

If you are only using 1 charger at a time would an untethered not be a better option?

The convenience of tethered is something i'm not willing to give up. When the boot is full of baby paraphernalia and it's pouring rain, tethered pays for itself.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Buy an extra cable and leave it beside the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can leave an untethered charger plugged in the whole time and it's basically the same?

I will have type 1 and 2, so would have to keep switching the cables. While I have a 24 Leaf, I will have 2 chargers

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Soon to have an EV in about 4 weeks also have 2nd car that's a mild hybrid. My predicament is whether to get a home charger or stay with a granny charger.

Car is rated 64kw so about 460km on a charge, I drive very little but it will be the main run-around car, a full charge would get us about 1- 1.5 weeks worth of travel, I use an e-scooter a good bit as well which I'll continue to use.

so home charger or not on people who have been using an EV a good while?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

One step closer to being ready for my Model 3…

• Advertisement

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Very clean setup. I also got mine installed in prep for M3 delivery this week 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Did they take the power from the meter box. It’s not permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

It was a certified installer with very good reviews so I hope its installed correctly.

"Can the charger be installed from a meter box outside, or does it have to be connected to the fuse-board inside?

Yes, it is now permissible to connect an EV charge point at your meter cabinet. The ideal connection point for the Electric Vehicle charge points will always be the internal fuse board, this amendment to the rules will provide a solution for situations where it is difficult or impossible to run cables back to the main internal fuse board."

https://www.randridgetechnologies.ie/f-a-q

sen A photo

Page 17 of this document details the requirements

180x225 in the bottom right of cabinet is the only space permitted generally this is too small for the requirements

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...and we wonder why folk don't post pics......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Finally got a charger fit today, untethered EO Mini Pro. Because I have parking spaces a 5m cable will be slightly too short of where the car will be parked.

Is there anything I need to look out for if getting a 10m cable? Assuming it would just be type 2 to type 2. Is there any websites worth looking at or is one from Mick's Garage for €280 a normal price? In the interest of keeping costs down is an extension a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You normally have an option of getting a longer tethered cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Got a Wallbox Pulsar Plus put in by Ecoplex last week for €1150. From initial contact to charger on the wall was 5 days.

No hidden charges or extras and install was 45 mins.

Pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Hi there

I missed the announcement that you can now get EV grant whether you have an EV or not. Getting solar panels installed next month, but didn't include work for EV charger as don't have an EV as yet, but now thinking adding it to the order.

Is this a wise thing to do, and also do I need to apply for EV charger grant now, and what exactly is difference between smart charging unit as opposed to another unit, as I see post Sept the grant is only got smart charging units, so whats the difference and cost implications.

I am also due to get dome home renovations in the next month, including electrical work, from different contractor to EV panel installer, so any benefit getting one over the other to fo the EV charger install, from a cost perspective,

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the questions, but as nearly September don't want to miss out and incurr extra cost if registering now for grant is the thing to do, if significant difference in a smart charging unit compared to bog standard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Definitely get a home charger, trying to put the guts of 60 Kw into a battery using a granny cable would drive you stone crazy 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Not. Jealous. At. All

My quote from 'em (despite a rewire only 10 years ago) ran to €2500 and took over a month and lots of chasing them ... Ah well - more phonecalls

If you're getting all the electrical work done anyway .. get the wiring put in for a charger and brought to a location you like

A Zappi (the more popular one for Solar integration, smart too) retails for about a grand new including VAT, (edit - add URL: https://myenergi.ie/product/zappi/# ) your sparks can likely pick it up a little cheaper at trade price and mount it.

Apply for the grant first (only takes a few minutes online, usually an hour or three for the approval to land, and you have 6 months to be complete, and apply for the payment)

Simple really - and absolutely a good futureproofing option.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I think that it would be good forward planning to get one installed if you are anyway likely to get an EV in the near future (within 3 to 5 yrs).

Especially with PV panels, you could charge your car for free some of the time.

Smart V Non-smart: Difference is the charger itself and the cost difference is probably in the order of €400-500 for the smart charger.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Emailed SEAI asking about the September cutoff dates for Smart/standard chargers. Below is the response. Looks like date has changed to Jan 1st. to give time to register smart products and sell off existing stock

SEAI will be introducing the use of a Smart Charger product list to its EV Home Charger grant scheme from the upcoming 1st September onwards.

To smooth this change over, we have decided to introduce a transition phase for the implementation of the Smart Charger product list. From 1st September to 31st December inclusive, applicants applying online will be able to choose a registered Smart Charger product or choose “other” if their product is not yet registered. This will allow time for product suppliers to continue to register their Smart Charger products but it will also allow suppliers time to sell down any existing stocks of older EV Chargers which meet current product standards but will fail to meet the new Smart Charger product criteria as outlined on the Triple E register for grant eligible charger products.

Then from 1st January 2023, the “other” category will be removed and from that date forward, only Triple E registered (ie those under category “SEAI Grants Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment”) Smart Charger products will be available for selection by consumers at application stage and eligible for grant support under the EV Home Charger grant scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

Grant is 600 and typical cost of zappi all in is 1300 so it will cost you 700 over grant. The zappi is important for solar compatibility. However the plastics on it will change colour from white to yellow and the screen might age. The other side is the grant may be reduced to zero in a few years.

Just beware you need a lot of solar panels to charge a car and car needs to be home 10am-2pm to fill up from sun. You probably should be aiming for a 7kW panel system if you intend filling the car, and even then it may take multiple days to fill car and this may be possible only during summer months. That said filling car back up us a great way to use up excess solar energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Is it possible to just buy that charger on Amazon and get them to install it?

• Advertisement

Advertisement