Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

unkel wrote: »
    So €1350 before grant? That seems extremely expensive. Why didn't you go for the Zappi that you got a quote for of €1100? It has a built-in priority switch

Most chargers are waterproof, they are designed to live outdoors in any weather

I think the way EV’s are going I will need a second EV in a year or 2, so decided to get the priority switch now, I know the Zappi has it built in, plus the wall box seems like a good charger. If I had the priority switch in the house already,the wall box would be an easy decision. I have got prices from 4-5 companies and they are all similar in price give or take €50.

If you think I can get it done cheaper please let me know, I seen a charger called a Juice box and would like that one as it had great reviews

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

phat1 wrote: »
    I think the way EV’s are going I will need a second EV in a year or 2, so decided to get the priority switch now, I know the Zappi has it built in, plus the wall box seems like a good charger. If I had the priority switch in the house already,the wall box would be an easy decision. I have got prices from 4-5 companies and they are all similar in price give or take €50.

If you think I can get it done cheaper please let me know, I seen a charger called a Juice box and would like that one as it had great reviews

Thanks

You'd be better off getting the Zappi for 585 and get the local sparks to install it , It should only cost you a couple of hundred quid on top of the grant. You don't need a 3 phase charger for the Leaf and the fact you wouldn't need the priority switch is also saving a couple of hundred.

If you plan to get a second charger in a few years, that it would make even more sense to get a Zappi because 2 Zappis would share the power, and no need for yet another priority switch.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just put in my order for a Wallpod, untethered, with KW usage monitoring.

Fingers crossed my 8m coiled charging cable will be practically useful. The coiled nature of it kinda makes it less than 8m long. Fingers crossed a bit of use might stretch/loosen it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoin42

I got one a wallbox pulsar few months back.
    You may not be aware that when charging there is a constant pulse of light which does look quite nice but I did not want to draw unnecessary attention to the charger due to its location. Not possible to have no light so I had to cover it in black ducktape as advised by the supplier. You may want this feature of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoin42

Going to go with the Wall Box Pulsar as it seems the best value at the moment, 750 euro after the grant of 600 is, bit of a sting but needs to be done, the charger will be out side all the time, hopefully it will be ok weather wise.
    I got one a wallbox pulsar few months back.
    You may not be aware that when charging there is a constant pulse of light which does look quite nice but I did not want to draw unnecessary attention to the charger due to its location. Not possible to have no light so I had to cover it in black ducktape as advised by the supplier. You may want this feature of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

I have the ESB chargebox that they were giving out with ev purchases up to 2017. I need an install and quotes are high enough just to install. Any good contacts for install in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Whatever you do , buy a tethered one , far more convenient

Hi can anyone recommend a car charger, I went to buy a Zappi and the guy selling them said they are not the best, and to buy an Elvi by Evbox as he said it is very good, price was €595 plus vat, I have a local spark that will fit the box, I am going to run the cable myself, to keep the cost down, thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi can anyone recommend a car charger, I went to buy a Zappi and the guy selling them said they are not the best, and to buy an Elvi by Evbox as he said it is very good, price was €595 plus vat, I have a local spark that will fit the box, I am going to run the cable myself, to keep the cost down, thanks for any help

I do wonder who "the guy selling them" was?

And does he have a better margin on the Elvi than on the Zappi?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I do wonder who "the guy selling them" was?

And does he have a better margin on the Elvi than on the Zappi?
    To be fair he seemed nice, he just said the Zappi is a bit dated and the Elvi box is a better box, still think I will get the Zappi just want to see what people think who have more knowledge than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To be fair there have been quite a few problems with Zappi owners on this forum. Myenergi saying themselves that the Zappi doesn't really work with hybrid inverters was a bit of a shocker to me, but I applaud their honesty.

I would be reluctant to go for one based on these reports alone, I feel they are overpriced, particularly the new untethered models, but I love the idea you can charge your car with excess solar (there is only one other - Open EVSE - that can do that afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

I would be reluctant to go for one based on these reports alone, I feel they are overpriced, particularly the new untethered models, but I love the idea you can charge your car with excess solar (there is only one other - Open EVSE - that can do that afaik)

Rolec are releasing a similar product this month. It'll be interesting to see how well it works. £496 inc VAT, untheatered.

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/solar/products/copy-of-wallpod-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-16-32-amp3-6-7-2kw-ip65?variant=11473390731311

Ditto. But I'm about to install 18kWh home attached battery storage, so no longer relevant to me :D

Your link shows GBP10 deposit + GBP395 + VAT, so EUR544 + shipping. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Ditto. But I'm about to install 18kWh home attached battery storage, so no longer relevant to me :D

Tesla Powerwall or another system?

Oh no, good old lead acid batteries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

To be fair there have been quite a few problems with Zappi owners on this forum. Myenergi saying themselves that the Zappi doesn't really work with hybrid inverters was a bit of a shocker to me, but I applaud their honesty.

Does mean they be problem charging Outlander phev with zappi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭denismc

To be fair to Myenergi, they are a very new company and have had a few teething issues with their products, I had a few issues with their products but that is mainly due to how they are set-up.
    I think part of the problem in Ireland is that many of the installers here don't seem to have an in depth knowledge of how these devices work.
    I had a few issues with firmware upgrades that were sorted over a couple of phone calls, and now my system is running perfectly.

I think they are starting to run training days for installers in Ireland now which should improve things.

BTW their new app is available, it looks great but I haven't had a chance to test it yet as their servers seem to be offline!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Getting my first EV next month (e-Niro) and I need a home charger for it.

Any recommendations for a good Dublin installer? Have 4 PV Solar pannels so I'm thinking Zappi but open to ideas.

Really like the look of Andsersen chargers but can't find anyone that sells them in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭denismc

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Getting my first EV next month (e-Niro) and I need a home charger for it.

Any recommendations for a good Dublin installer? Have 4 PV Solar pannels so I'm thinking Zappi but open to ideas.

Really like the look of Andsersen chargers but can't find anyone that sells them in Ireland.

4 panels are not going to produce enough electricity on their own to charge your car, you need a minimum of 1.4kw , but the Zappi will charge at minimum of 1.4 kW which will maximize your PV panels if you are happy to charge at this rate.
    I hope that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

denismc wrote: »
    4 panels are not going to produce enough electricity on their own to charge your car, you need a minimum of 1.4kw , but the Zappi will charge at minimum of 1.4 kW which will maximize your PV panels if you are happy to charge at this rate.
    I hope that makes sense?

What he said. Not worth paying extra for a Zappi, you'll never get your money back. Just charge on night rate electricity instead.

• Advertisement

Can anybody recommend an EV Charger? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can anybody recommend an EV Charger? Thanks

Do you have or plan to install solar PV?

kceire wrote: »
    Do you have or plan to install solar PV?
    I do not have solar PV and do not plan on it in the future, I am thinking that I should consider this as an option now, I just don’t want to pay €600+ for an EV Charger and it’s not what I need. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I do not have solar PV and do not plan on it in the future, I am thinking that I should consider this as an option now, I just don’t want to pay €600+ for an EV Charger and it’s not what I need. Thanks

It’s a plug for your car. There’s not a lot more that it needs.
    You can install an outdoor socket and just granny charge forever!

There’s a Rolec one for sale on Facebook now. 250stg brand new. Get a registered sparks to fit.

Get your grant and it won’t have cost you anything.

I actually profited from getting my ABL unit installed.

Ok i am going to get the Elvi box by EVbox €595 + vat and a local spark wants €295 to fit the box and certify it, I will run the cable myself from the fuse board up to the attic and down the external wall, with 3 core 6 square cable SWA, fingers crossed it all goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ok i am going to get the Elvi box by EVbox €595 + vat and a local spark wants €295 to fit the box and certify it, I will run the cable myself from the fuse board up to the attic and down the external wall, with 3 core 6 square cable SWA, fingers crossed it all goes well!

How long a run is it?
    Might be better to go with 10sqmm.

KCross wrote: »
    How long a run is it?
    Might be better to go with 10sqmm.

It is about 25M I’d say give or take, I can look into 10sqmm.

You will have to go 10mm2 for that long a run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is about 25M I’d say give or take, I can look into 10sqmm.

That's going to be one heavy cable to lift and manage

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    That's going to be one heavy cable to lift and manage

and 10sq is a bitch to manage at the best of times.

OP are you running this through the house and are you going to duct it or try to hid it behind walls/under floors etc?

I ran about 12M 8 years ago and my knuckles are just getting back to normal :(

Advertisement