Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Looking at the graph it's doing it over the course of 4 hours and then back again at 5 am and similar in the evening pulling down 4KWs. I've an 8.00 kW heat pump which also does the DHW, never takes more than 2 KWs and typically is less than 1.

Heating output at A7/W35 (EN 14511) 8.00 kW

Heating output at A2/W35 (EN 14511) 8.33 kW

Heating output at A-7/W35 (EN 14511) 12.86 kW

Either that's a massive heat pump or there's an issue with it. The way it cycles on then off for short period, then on again is not good for the lifetime of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭D_D

Hi all, just wondering something. My Wallbox has one of those large red fuse switches beside it on my wall. When the Wallbox isn't in use, should I turn it off at this fuse switch? Or is it bad for the Wallbox to leave it with no power to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Leave it on. Uses tiny amount of power in idle. Turning certain electronics on and off is not good for them. I believe your wallbox is one of those things.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Leave it on. You will do more damage turning it on/off daily. It uses like €1 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

Is it possible to use use the 600 euro grant for just purchasing a charger? I already have one installed with a few years so wouldn't need much electrical work done. Not sure if I can just submit a charger with the grant claim or if I need to submit electrician docs with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭VikingG

You need the electrician docs - test certs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭josip

The SEAI Ts&Cs say:

The cost for materials and labour should only be those only associated with the cost of purchasing and installing the charge point and associated components.

Would the cost to upgrade tails and the ESBN callout charge be included in the above?

Irrelevant as the total cost will be over €600 anyway so you’ll get the grant.

Did you get the grant those years ago or did you get the free charger as part of the initial scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I don't get your point, the grant is a fixed €600 irrespective of what the total cost of the install was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Orebro

No, at the time you needed a new car to get the free ESB one, second hand EVs weren’t eligible (I got caught between two schemes, bought a Leaf in 2017 and they brought in the grant for the second hand ones for EVs purchased from 2018 onwards), so I had to pay the full whack to the electrician. We’ve since bought a second EV which is eligible. I guess I was seeing if I could just purchase a charger and claim that since I have the wiring etc all in place already so would just be a swap out.

I fitted my charger myself in 2017.

Then got my mate to “fit” it in 2018 to get the grant 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

If one was to self fit the charger is there any way to isolate the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If one has to ask. One shouldn’t do a self install.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

If you don't know the answer to that then you aren't a qualified electrician and should even contemplate doing it. Apart from anything else the installer has to be registered with seai and complete paperwork for the grant to be payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Qwer

Hi just looking for advice on which charger to get have quotes for 3 . (We won’t have and be getting solar panels ). I want something simple does any one have experience with chargers below I know zappi would be most common and have good reviews

Ohme ev charger 8 meter tethered: this has built in SIM card rather than using your Wi-Fi paid for for 3 years , wonder how much it costs after 3 years , you cannot set charging times you include your electricity tariffs and it charges it to required level when rates are cheaper , as a security also sends push notifications to your phone to authorize charging wonder can this be sent to 2 phones ie if I’m not around and wife is charging ?

zappi tethered 6 meter

Sync ev charger 7.5 meter tethered through electric Ireland offer this is 100 euro cheaper and would be my preference but reviews on company that organizes installations are poor on trust pilot etc

6 meters is the minimum length of cable I need will work for me the longer cables would be easier more flexible which is putting me off the zappi a little

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can set charger times with the Ohme. It also is the only charger I know that uses an API to get the cars SOC so you can set to charge to xx%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads any recommendations on Zappi vs wallbox pulsar plus, the Zappi is 150 more expensive.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

i have the zappi.. and was warned by two installers one being the one that installed it for me not to go with it.. sure enough had it a week when the screen failed.. their backup is good though.. was onto myenergy support and new one was delivered in a few days and they had one of their installers fit it.. seems to be fine since.. i have an eddi and solar so wanted the app/integration.. that said.. didnt inspire confidence! their installer told me he's flat out replacing zappis.. im going on the hope once it works you should be fine and warranty will keep it safe.. im tempted to extend it to 5 years.. i think its standard 3..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Hi everyone

Just wondering who has got a charger installed recently?

What was the lead time between ordering and installation?

What company is good to deal with?

What is the current approximate cost to supply and fit?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Any recommended installers in Cork please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just had an Ohme 7.4kw, 8 meter installed today.

Ordered on Jan 18th.

Happy with the quality of the service from ePower.

Pricey enough at €1450 (net 850).

Just waiting for a car to attach to it now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Thanks for the reply..not a bad turn around so..was expecting it to be longer.

What did you order car wise? Any sign of it arriving on the horizon at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Q4 etron 40, ordered in Nov, sitting at the port I'm told, should be ready mid Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Price, time to install all vary and depend on location and time of year and installer. January tends to be busier with 231 reg and in general installers are getting busier as more EVs sold. Queues at Tesla Dublin for cut price Tesla due to price drop may mean a surge between now and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If this is for solar power integration, consider the hypervolt 2.0. Solid, good looking, good support and most importantly....not a zappi. The zappi quality has taken a turn for the worse. The wallbox is neat enough, but I went for the HV and replaced my dumb charger with it.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Where did you get the Hypervolt? I'm doing a self install but these only seem to be available in the UK.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

I wanted that one, but i have a diverter installed. The hypervolt will only supply either grid or solar, but has 1 ct clamp so goes in one direction. For me. As i need excess solar to go to diverter, the hypervolt wouldnt work, apparently the zappi is smarter at managing this grid/solar/diverter thing with a harvi. thats what the installer told me. In fairness he was pushing the hypervolt more than the zappi

Advertisement