Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

IS10101 isn't a regulation, it's the regulations. I was asking you which regulation trumps the manufacturer's recommendation of using a 32 amp overcurrent device for their charger. Not trying to be argumentative here, just curious.

☀️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

IS10101 is the National rules for electrical installations in Ireland. A RECI has to follow these even if the manufacturer requires a lesser standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I know that, but you told me above that local regulations trump what the manufacturer has stated in the installation manual. My question is which local regulation is breached by using a 32 amp overcurrent device?

☀️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The zappi also can be configured also to limit the draw on a supply cable, and the grid limits. It would not exceed the the limits of said cable.

Say if the zappi was charging, at full power and someone put on a fan heater in the garage. The zappi will throttle back accordingly.

Its the same routine as is used for not putting in a priority switch for an electric shower. If it works for that it can work for a sub board. You put a CT on the supply to the sub board, tell the zappi that CT for monitoring and set a group limit for that group.

MCB protect the cables, not the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You also need to take the house load in to consideration. If there is a heat pump, electric shower etc. you have to protect against overloading the main fuse.

It's not as simple as saying there is a cable going to the garage capable of taking the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

HI, any recommendations for an installer in Claremorris/Ballyhaunis/Knock Co Mayo area? Its on a farmyard with a few consumer units but is an option at main house meter...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭glen123

Apologies if it's a stupid question.

I have solar, Eddi and Harvi. Recently I also had Zappi installed and it has a hardwired CT which according to instructions I turned off in the Zappi menu because Eddi is a Master and Zappi is a slave getting the info from Harvi.

Do I really need that hardwired CT on a Zappi at all then? The reason I am asking is that I don't have a CT clamp on a solar so I was thinking of removing it and putting it on a solar and wire it into Harvi (well not me personally but I'd get someone qualified to do it) so that I can see my solar generation in the Myenergi app. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

A lot depends on the version of the zappi and Eddi you have.. do you have a hybrid invertor with battery and solar? If so it's hard to measure the solar generation on its own via myenergi app

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭glen123

I don't have hybrid invertor or battery.

Eddi is 16A1P01H model (looks like the one they sell on myenergi website at the moment) and same goes for Zappi - ZAPPI-2H07UW.

I thought since Zappi's instructions say "If the GRID CT is connected to the Harvi,make sure that your have turned off the hardwired GRID CT" , which I did which to me means it's effectively not in use and can be used for something else e.g. to monitor solar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is it possible to use some sort of cable extension for type 2 chargers, for tethered EV chargers - i.e. EV charger cable to extension cable then to car?

No.

Use a longer type 2 cable or use a suitably rated extension cable with the granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I am thinking of getting an EV and my mind has turned to the wallbox. I'm in Germany so things are a little bit different but the Zappi is available here too and I am probably going to get PV in the coming years also, so a Zappi or equivalent unit makes a lot of sense. I am slightly confused between the different build versions of the Zappi (not the different power ratings, I will get the 22kW one). I originally laid a 10sq cable from my distribution board (not yet connected, electrician will have to do it) out the cellar wall to where I thought I would locate a future wallbox. I also laid armoured CAT7 cable and armoured telephone cable for the CT clamps but these cables are all too short (except the 10sq cable, that is long enough). So I thought I could use the hub thing to relay the signals from the CT clamps to the Zappi but now I see there is no hub available anymore. Is there a way with the harvi to do this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Can't use a longer type 2 as the EV charger is tethered, I can't take off the cable and put on a longer one. No major hassle anyway, more of a convenience issue for paking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I will get the 22kW one

if it’s for at home you won’t be getting the 22kW one unless you have 3-phase.

if you only have single phase it’s the 7kW one you have to get.

Cn you change it?

You can rewire in a longer cable, for example, I have a 7.5m cable there that can be required into any charging unit.

It's a Zappi, I'm not sure if it can be? It's something I'd be interested in doing down the line if it can be done.

Around these parts the domestic supplies are pretty heavy duty. The standard (and smallest) connection available when we built our house was 3 x 100A.

Power is not the problem but connecting the CT clamps to the main feed is, assuming I locate the Zappi where I now want to locate it. I could look at extending the sensing cable (telephone wire) I laid but an underground joint doesn't fill me with confidence. Hence the query about the newer version of the Zappi and the apparent discontinuation of the hub. Or does the Harvi replace the Hub for this application? I find the myenerngi website a bit sparse on detail to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Hypervolt are having connection issues to their chargers the last couple of days. A new version of their app has been pushed (4.2.2) that solves the issue for some, but not all (me included grrr). Just thought it worth mentioning here in case people thought it was an issue with their own charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

The hub function is built into the latest version of zappi. The harvi will allow remote CT clamp monitoring. Not sure of its max distance.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. The distance from the clamps to the Zappi is not great, maybe 10 metres, but the data cables are just a bit too short. I prefer a wireless solution using the harvi than extending the cables with a buried joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't really use the APP, but updated it when I saw the email. No issue connecting as I just checked with the LED modes and it's all good. If you are still having an issue, get in touch with them. I found their CS to be great when I had trouble using a type2-type1 adapter for the Leaf. Turns out the "random/delay start" function was switched on which they were able to tell me remotely.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Yeah that one is hidden away in the settings. Luckily the installer told me about that when he was out. My issues are ongoing for whatever reason. Can't schedule a charge, lock etc. I managed to start a charge yesterday but it didn't register on the app. So a few things still to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 finnly

Had an EOmini pro installed by KN last year. Just got Solar panels installed with the electrics being sorted next week. While I have the installers I wanted to enable solar function and so I purchased a ct clamp however the electrician is saying it’s a bit of a job but doable. He did try to tell me that it already has a ct clamp at the fuse board which it does but think that’s for load balancing and think it needs another for solar. By the sounds of it the mini pro will draw from solar anyways but not as effectively vs having the solar ct clamp. Very confused and by no means an electrician so any advice would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I am considering buying a PHEV but for that I need to have a car charger installed at home. The car seller tells me there’s a company doing it for free but you need to change from the ESB to them and I’m not sure I want to do that… I’ve also checked that there’s a company called epower.ie that installs the chargers - that costs over 1000 euro but then you get a grant of 500 euro or something like it. I’m just wondering is there any way I could get a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

I was quoted €1850 (€1250 after grant) for the installation of a Zappi. I already have an Eddi and Harvi hub installed as part of my solar.

Has anyone had this done recently? It seems pretty excessive to be honest 🤷‍♂️

😂🤣😂

Yeah....I don't care if they have to swim through sh!t for 4 hours to install your CP......that is an absolute rip off.

I was getting quotes in excess of €1200 for the likes of a WallBox, even though I already had a CP installed previously. They only needed to install an isolator switch to bring it up to current regs. Barely more than replacing an old socket. Run a mile from whoever quoted that. Expect only to be ripped off to the tune of 5 or 6 hundred after the grant, not north of 1k.

Rather than bend over....I ordered my own CP and installed it myself. End cost was circa 600, but I was glad not to be shafted.

Stay Free

You must mean they want you to switch from "Electric Ireland", which is separate to ESB. For a PHEV, you don't need a home charger, but it's more convenient. The batteries are pretty small and plugging into an outdoor socket with the 3 pin domestic (granny) charger which should come with the car will suffice. Stay away from credit meter suppliers. They are hugely expensive. If switching from Electric Ireland, you need to ass up the costs. If with them less than a year, there is an exit fee of €50 per utility. The other provider rates could be more expensive to begin with....Electric Ireland are currently best value from what I can tell. Maybe look at the terms and conditions of the charger deal. You might be able to switch provider...have the CP installed and then switch back and only pay an exit fee. I know this was possible with Energia when getting a PHEV via Hyundai, but I wasn't impressed with the basic charger anyway, so I left it.

Is there a reason you are considering a PHEV rather than a BEV?

Stay Free

How many quotes have you gotten? I know of a few places that will do it for €1,400. Shop around I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

They don’t sell trim 4 for BEV in Ireland, only trim 3 and there’s things I really want in trim 4 which is only available on PHEV.

Advertisement