Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

this.lad wrote: »
    I have read about priority switches etc for chargers i assume, possibly incorrectly, that this applies to 32A chargers.

Can you run 2 16A chargers or a 16 and a 32 without an issue?

If you want to charge at a total of 32A or greater you are probably going to need a priority switch or a charge point that can load sense and drop the rate automatically.

It depends on whether you have an electric shower and/or a heat pump or any other high draw electrical devices in the house.

It wont be enough for you to tell the electrician that when you have two 16A charge points that you promise not to blow the main fuse. He will have to signoff on the install and having two charge points that can potentially blow the fuse will necessitate him putting in a priority switch unless the charge point can auto sense.

Personally, I wouldnt want to be messing around with granny cables and car timers to charge both cars. I'd want two charge points and I want to be able to plug into either of them whenever I like and not have to be thinking about timers or the other car. Just plug it in and go.

The best way to do that is via a load sensing charge point. A priority switch is a blunt instrument. Its either on or off. I'd rather not have that as it doesnt really suit when you have things like heat pumps or you hit the override button on the car for a day time charge then someone goes for a shower which cuts the car charge and it doesnt restart because the override is just for one session!

TL;DR.... go for load sensing charge points and you can then technically have two 32A charge points and they will both figure out what the appropriate rate is with no risk of blowing fuses or leaving you uncharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

KCross wrote: »
    If you want to charge at a total of 32A or greater you are probably going to need a priority switch or a charge point that can load sense and drop the rate automatically.

It depends on whether you have an electric shower and/or a heat pump or any other high draw electrical devices in the house.

It wont be enough for you to tell the electrician that when you have two 16A charge points that you promise not to blow the main fuse. He will have to signoff on the install and having two charge points that can potentially blow the fuse will necessitate him putting in a priority switch unless the charge point can auto sense.

Personally, I wouldnt want to be messing around with granny cables and car timers to charge both cars. I'd want two charge points and I want to be able to plug into either of them whenever I like and not have to be thinking about timers or the other car. Just plug it in and go.

The best way to do that is via a load sensing charge point. A priority switch is a blunt instrument. Its either on or off. I'd rather not have that as it doesnt really suit when you have things like heat pumps or you hit the override button on the car for a day time charge then someone goes for a shower which cuts the car charge and it doesnt restart because the override is just for one session!

TL;DR.... go for load sensing charge points and you can then technically have two 32A charge points and they will both figure out what the appropriate rate is with no risk of blowing fuses or leaving you uncharged.

Thanks for that. I'd prefer not to be fluting around with both to be honest.

Is it the zappi that I'd need to get so? or the new rolec one in the other thread?

I wont get a grant for the second point so id be happy to leave one at 16A if i had to and let the 32A manage itself - would that work do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thanks for that. I'd prefer not to be fluting around with both to be honest.

Is it the zappi that I'd need to get so? or the new rolec one in the other thread?

I wont get a grant for the second point so id be happy to leave one at 16A if i had to and let the 32A manage itself - would that work do you think?

Electric Autos in Kildare still have a few tethered Zappis in stock. The new untethered still haven’t been released (and are pricier), so I wouldn’t hang about if you want a Zappi.

Zappi, Garo, Tesla, etc.

Im not sure the new Solar Rolec does load limiting. It has to ability to sense excess Solar and divert that to the car, but thats a different thing.

Yes, that would work. A 16A requires no priority switch and as long as the 32A has whole house load limiting it will ensure you dont blow the fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Folks, as I understand in Uk/Ireland spec I can charge a leaf 40kw & a Tesla model 3 with a type 2 connector. I notice that Tesla have a "wall connector" for sale but I cannot figure out if that will be a type 2 that could charge my leaf. Anyone know if I can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Elvi all installed, just need to figure out how best to charge it now, anybody got advice on this, I’m with Energia and they said I can have a night rate cheaper but my day rate would be more expensive, this won’t suit as I work from home a bit.

phat1 wrote: »
    Elvi all installed, just need to figure out how best to charge it now, anybody got advice on this, I’m with Energia and they said I can have a night rate cheaper but my day rate would be more expensive, this won’t suit as I work from home a bit.

I have night rate so did sums to see if I’d be better on day rate. Spoiler: I wouldn’t be. Numbers are up here and I work from home too so it should be a good comparison

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109063265&postcount=336

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

stimpson wrote: »
    I believe the first change is free. The house had night rate when we moved in. I did the sums to see if it was worth changing back to a 24hr rate if anyone is interested:

The numbers below are based on my bill for Sept/Oct - i.e. before I got my Outlander. We run Dishwasher/Washing Machine at night, and I work from home so I use a fair bit during the day.

Day/Night Rate
    Standing Charge 31.51
    Day Rate 1135 kWh * 14.7c 166.84
    Night Rate 741kWh * 7.04c 52.16
    PSO 11.24
    Total ex-VAT 261.76
    Total inc-VAT 297.10

24hr rate
    Standing Charge 25.15
    24h Rate 1135 kWh * 13.41c 152.20
    24h Rate 741 kWh * 13.41c 99.36
    PSO 11.24
    ex-VAT 287.96
    inc-VAT 326.84

So Night rate is a saving of ~10% before you account for charging. If we assume 6kWh each night for 60 nights the numbers look like this:

Day/Night Rate
    Standing Charge 31.51
    Day Rate 1135 kWh * 14.7c 166.84
    Night Rate 1101kWh * 7.04c 77.51
    PSO 11.24
    ex-VAT 287.11
    inc-VAT 325.87

24hr rate
    Standing Charge 25.15
    24h Rate 1135 kWh * 13.41c 152.20
    24h Rate 1101 kWh * 13.41c 147.64
    PSO 11.24

ex-VAT 336.24
    inc-VAT 381.63

So a 17% saving for a full charge every other night. For those with a BEV it should be a no brainer.

I have 24 hour rate with no night rate.so was debating when I buy Outlander later this year should I get night rate or not. I think it's free to get night rate .these numbers say its worth getting. .cheers

I have 24 hour rate with no night rate.so was debating when I buy Outlander later this year should I get night rate or not. I think it's free to get night rate .these numbers say it with getting. .cheers

Outlander is worth getting too. I love it. My sums said it would be slightly cheaper to run than my Auris Hybrid. So far, it’s half the price to run.

The day rate only goes up 1c so not that significant. The night rate will go down by about 8c!

If you have an EV you should definitely be on night rate.

• Advertisement

Outlander is worth getting too. I love it. My sums said it would be slightly cheaper to run than my Auris Hybrid. So far, it’s half the price to run.

I be getting in September Outlander. I borrow Outlander to try out and will save me easy and having option for long distance when needed is a huge plus. I just ordered night meter as we save also outside of charging Outlander so worth it all round in all ways.
    Cheers

The day rate only goes up 1c so not that significant. The night rate will go down by about 8c!

If you have an EV you should definitely be on night rate.

Standing charge goes up too.

Standing charge goes up too.

Still worth it with an EV.

Still worth it with an EV.

Totally. My sums are based on a charge every other day of the outlander, which is 10kWh. If you’ve got a full EV and do the miles then the savings are better again.

3kWh per day, on average over the year, is all you need to use by night to make it worthwhile to switch to night rate.

3kWh is nothing in an EV. I'd use many multiples of that everyday with my EV.

The outlander has a smaller battery but its still 10kWh in the Outlander so still multiples of the 3kWh you need to breakeven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

ah they put in the isolator switch... extra cost for something you dont need

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I have 24 hour rate with no night rate.so was debating when I buy Outlander later this year should I get night rate or not. I think it's free to get night rate .these numbers say its worth getting. .cheers

I thought it cost a few hundred initially?

I could imagine the number of night rate installs increasing once the free charging ends. That's pretty much my plan (and that i'm tied into my current electricity contract until March).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I could imagine the number of night rate installs increasing once the free charging ends. That's pretty much my plan (and that i'm tied into my current electricity contract until March).

Free to swap to a night meter.
    Supposed to be a charge to swap back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mach Two

3kWh per day, on average over the year, is all you need to use by night to make it worthwhile to switch to night rate.

3kWh is nothing in an EV. I'd use many multiples of that everyday with my EV.

The outlander has a smaller battery but its still 10kWh in the Outlander so still multiples of the 3kWh you need to breakeven.

Any idea as to the cost per mile/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

This is probably a silly question, currently driving a PHEV and don't have a home charger installed. I have a Model 3 on order as a company car, and I work from home so will look to get a home charger installed. I'm just thinking that I would be better off getting it done soon with my personal PHEV and claim the grant & then recharge it back to my company as an expense rather than get the company to pay for it?

• Advertisement

Mach Two wrote: »

The cost per km in a PHEV is highly dependent on the amount you use the engine. The cost of EV driving is vanishingly small compared to petrol. I don’t even track it regularly, but my ESB bill went up by about €15-20 per month.

The cost for petrol useage is below. February had a lot of longer trips so you can see the higher usage. I’m down to a fill very 2-4 weeks now (and the Outlander has a small tank)

483793.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

bf wrote: »
    This is probably a silly question, currently driving a PHEV and don't have a home charger installed. I have a Model 3 on order as a company car, and I work from home so will look to get a home charger installed. I'm just thinking that I would be better off getting it done soon with my personal PHEV and claim the grant & then recharge it back to my company as an expense rather than get the company to pay for it?

So you want to avail of a government grant to offset the cost of a personal home charger install and then charge the full cost of the install back to your employer.
    Bit cheeky to say the least, I would not be impressed as your boss

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

What I was told by Electric provider is if its first time theres been a night meter there it's free. If there was night meter there before then theres a charge by esb networks of 199 euros. For me it's free as first time a night meter on our property

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

@stimpson. What app/program is that screenshot from?

Soarer wrote: »
    @stimpson. What app/program is that screenshot from?

Road Trip. When you fill up you enter the odometer reading, number of litres and cost per litre.

I have the paid version. Not sure what limitations the free version has (Road Trip Lite)

bf wrote: »

The home charge grant is only available to private individuals. The company cannot claim the grant but it has access to the ACA scheme. Not sure how that would work though for a company in this case since the charge point would be getting installed in an employees home and not a company asset.

When did you buy the PHEV?
    If it was after 1/1/2018 then you can claim the grant against your PHEV.

Not sure why you'd charge it back to the company since it will be close to free anyway but thats between you and your employer! :)

Mach Two wrote: »

A good rule of thumb is that whatever you pay today for diesel it will be about 15-20% of that in electricity costs.... depends on the car and how heavy your right foot is.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

slave1 wrote: »
    So you want to avail of a government grant to offset the cost of a personal home charger install and then charge the full cost of the install back to your employer.
    Bit cheeky to say the least, I would not be impressed as your boss

Good job I'm the boss! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Hi looking for advice, in the photo attached it seems that I am using a lot of kWh to charge my Leaf. When charging over night on the 6.6kWh charge sitting last night it used 28kWh.

I’m thinking it is still using power when the Leaf is fully charged, does my EVBox not know the car is fully charged and to stop using power.

I am drying to figure out how to use the charge. Setting on the leaf but it is fully charged now do not sure if the timers are working. I will take for a spin later and try to set the charge timer in the leaf and see if it will activate the Elvi to start charging the car.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi looking for advice, in the photo attached it seems that I am using a lot of kWh to charge my Leaf. When charging over night on the 6.6kWh charge sitting last night it used 28kWh.

I’m thinking it is still using power when the Leaf is fully charged, does my EVBox not know the car is fully charged and to stop using power.

I am drying to figure out how to use the charge. Setting on the leaf but it is fully charged now do not sure if the timers are working. I will take for a spin later and try to set the charge timer in the leaf and see if it will activate the Elvi to start charging the car.

Thanks

How far do you get on 28kWh?

Advertisement