Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

I got a Pulsar Max. Pretty sure it needs an add-on if you want to integrate with solar

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

How has your experience been so far with the Max? I guess you didn't integrate it with the PV then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Only been used a handful of times. Awaiting car. It's a neat box. App seems quite good and wanted the potential for solar in the future

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

799 for zappi

599 for wallbox

both from easygo after grant and assuming a relatively straight forward install.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BlueUmbrella

Hello! Would appreciate insights into a fault with an EO Mini Pro 2 home charger.

Have been using this charger without problems with a PHEV for 18 months. Recently got a Tesla Model Y, and most nights when I come to plug it in, I have a fault on the charger - red LED flashing x 3.

User guide says this means:

"Three short red flashes - More than 6ma of DC current has leaked to earth"

I can resolve this by switching off the breaker switch in the RCB for a minute, and turning it back on. The car then charges as normal. However - what could cause this error? It's only since I started charging the Tesla it has happened.

It has happened a few times that I didn't check for faults going to bed, and no charge overnight!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

have you a non telsa you can try with? friend etc? could be worth opening the front cover to see if there's water ingress or something just obviously cutting power to the charger first.. seems odd that its only intermittent. There are cars that just dont get on with chargers.. seen mr ev on youtube on about his zappi won't charge his megane for some reason but fine with every other car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sounds like a poor earth. You need an electrician to come and test it and ensure it passes the electrical tests.

Its possible that the higher load that the Model Y would be drawing (32A vs 16A) relative to your PHEV has tipped it over an edge.

One thing to try is set the Tesla to charge at 16A's and see if that "resolves" it. You do that from the car charging screen.... change it down to 16A (or below) and see if it charges reliably at that rate.

Ultimately though, you need an electrician to run some tests on your wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ardara

Wow, long thread.

We're getting an EV next month and I've started research on the home charger but jayz there's a fair bit of choice.

Questions I had if anyone has the knowledge/experience:

Is Smartzone as bad to deal with as their Trustpilot reviews suggest?

Is ecarinfra still in business? I was quite interested in the Hypervolt but there doesn't seem to be any activity on their website or facebook page for months now.

Has anyone used localheroes.ie for charger installing?

GRMA

Post edited by ardara on

I have ordered Wallbox Pulsar Max from Amazon. It was "used as new" which means damaged packaging. It has 7M cable and cost me €650. I've installation quote for €450. So all in, it will cost me €500 after the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

The grant is generally pure profit for the installers of EV chargers, PV, etc

1100-1500 (600 or so after grants) seems typical for plug installations that are generally straight forward...

The hardwares a glorified plug at the end of the day. Not sure I'd call it good value but it is a necessity and the market is distorted.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Is the charger grant per car, per house or per person? If I’ve already availed of the grant and I move to a new house with my EV can I get another grant?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,996 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

does the charger and car not do the stuff this ocpp does?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Can someone help me out with this ? I currently have a 16amp charge from a good few years ago. No issues with it other than it's a bit slow on odd occasion I need to use it. Don't have panels and won't be getting them. Can I get an electrician to install one of these camper chargers and just leave the Y control the charging via the car ? Sorry but have no clue about anything DIY related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Does anyone know if the Pulsar Max has the load balancing built-in or do i need to buy it separately? I have goggled it but I'm not sure..

The electrician has asked me the above question. If it doesn't has the part built in, is it a must to have? I'll be using the charger at night only when no other power hungry appliances will be in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If there's an electric shower in the house there has to be power management in place. He might opt for an external device if the unit itself doesn't doesn't do it it should only add about 100 euro to the price. My EO just needed an extra cable with a clamp that detects current draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Is 450 euro considered a low installation cost? The mind boggles, I'd say for a normal install with easy access to modern fuseboard and install charger to the same wall as that fuseboard its 2 hours work.. max

• Advertisement

There's a separate meter/clamp. Doesn't cost much.

😎

Thank you guys. It says in the fine print that a spare piece (Power Meter) is required. I ordered one last night for €107 and hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow.

I don't have electric shower but i still ordered one just to be safe and this is also required for PV. My PV output isn't much but for completeness purposes, have ordered it.

I know another poster said that €450 is stupidly low but i think for a couple of hours work,its mad money to install this glorified plug.

The fuse box is right behind where the charger will be installed and the meter box is on the same wall about 3 metres away.

note the pulsar wants 1.2 or 1.4kw surplus before it will pull to car when in full green mode, that might be a challenge for anyone with smaller setups which also have batteries or heat pumps pulling power. There is a half way house mode which will use grid to top up to 1.4 at a certain point (cant remember, maybe 800w surplus).

😎

It's not two hours work max - to install to a high standard takes time. There are also substantial materials costs excluding the chargepoint itself. €450 is not an acceptable price.

It's not a couple of hours work unless it's going to be thrown on the wall and not properly tested.

They were being done for €450 years ago with VAT on top, and with inflation etc. that's not within an asses' roar nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nonsense,

there is a €50 RCD and less than €50 worth of cable. And a €20 isolator

he said installation, assume he has the charger already

many houses like mine have the consumer unit inside the hall door with the charger going on the wall behind it.

a very simple install. Less than 2 hours , testing takes about 5 minutes

Yes, I have the charger already.

Fuse box is right behind the hallway door and the charger will go right beside the door. The meter box is 2-3 meters beside the front door also. I'll let you know how long it took and share the pics of the works if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

none. But I’m an electrical engineer who has been running projects and working with contractors for 20 years.

tell exactly where you think I’m wrong

I’ve had lads spend 3 days making cable trays. And other lads do the same cable trays in a half day.

maybe you are just slow…

Advertisement