Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

None then. And I've installed around a hundred. So my opinion might be worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So tell me why it takes you so long to test and to run 3m of cable …

i think building substations and power plant give me enough credibility to talk about installing a 32Amp charger :)

as I said some people just take longer.

None of them are 3m of cable, and I install them properly and in compliance with the Wiring Rules/Wiring Regulations. 3m of cable won't get from many distribution boards out to a rotary isolator and then on to an EVSE. A certificate takes longer than 5 minutes to write, never mind the inspection and testing. Your obnoxious nonsense is just that - nonsense.

There are also pre-work surveys which you also haven't considered, and generally some modification of the distribution board is required to site the protective device and SPD etc.

What are you installing. ?

ive 6 foot of cable into an isolator. That’s on the wall behind the consumer unit. Then the Ohme has about 3 foot of cable

pre surveys can be done with photos. Photo of consumer unit, photo of meter panel , photo of charger location

I like the way you’ve moved way from tests taking longer than 5 minutes to filling in forms, which also take minutes.

most house will have spare capacity in the consumer unit and doesn’t take long to fit protection.

how long does it take you to install an charger on wall that backs onto a consumer unit ?

what’s your hourly rate?

Surveys can be done with photos - still takes time and is factored into the cost of EVSE installations.

All EVSE installations are booked as a full day job, with longer required if remedial works etc. are required. It's not feasible to book it as less than a day.

Tests don't take 5 minutes. An insulation test alone takes considerably longer than that to setup and perform on the installation. Also every RCD within a distribution board is required to be tested as per CRU diktat. In one domestic EVSE installation I did there were around 20 RCDs in the DB.

Spare capacity in the DB doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be altered to fit the protective devices.

Hourly rate is sensitive commercial information.

• Advertisement

You said you installed hundreds yet you are referring to one case which would be an exception Says a lot. As for not stating your hourly rate. That says a lot too. Clearly taking the piss and know it’s excessive. Most trades wilL detail their hourly rate

I don't do EV installs on an hourly rate but fixed price for standard installation; extra for non-standard. Electricians don't advertise rates to abrasive online randomers. It's called being a businessman.

Most business declare hourly rates.

The only reason not to is if you are taking the Piss.

Are main dealerships not good businesses? They declare there hourly rate

nothing to do with being a businessman

To customers - not to someone on boards.ie

And as I said a job like a standard EVSE installation is a fixed price and not done by hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Seems odd that you were previously disputing the time it takes for an install then considering it's a fixed price job

• Advertisement

A standard install is fixed price - that doesn't mean that 2 hours is realistic. It also doesn't imply that any two jobs are the same - but a fixed price for a standard install makes sense, especially when you're doing many for a particular client. But 2 hours is completely unrealistic for a quality job. Good work is expensive, and cheap work is shite.

I have no interest in the bottom-feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ecoplex required slightly over 60 mins to put my charger in place. Granted, an easy location and a simple install, but you do have to wonder where the ~€500 install fee went given we know the exact price of the chargers these days.

Someone will be here in awhile a saying that the install. is horrible and really bad.…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bad earthing?

Can you open and check for loose connections?

Is it set up for 32a or 16a charging?

The RDC-DD is obviously detecting excess DC leakage on the mains.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In that case I’d get yourself or another RECI in to investigate.

On the face of it it sounds like it could be an issue with the onboard charger within the vehicle. I suppose of it could be tried on another chargepoint with DC leakage protection that would help to ascertain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BlueUmbrella

It's possible - I have very little in the way of electrical expertise.

Let me take this opportunity to *not* recommend ePower for installation and follow up. When I originally got the charger installed, I had to leave to go to work during installation - they ended up installing the unit about 1.5m back from the front of the house. It's a tethered unit and could not reach the charging port in my existing car... I should have stayed up supervise, but hey.

They then charged me €85 to come back 2 weeks later to move it forward by 1m to a position where it could actually reach the car. Left a huge hole in the wall where it was first installed, whereby millions of insulation foam balls proceeded to pour out. Took another 2 weeks for someone to come back to fix the hole.

Am waiting now for 7 days on the current DC leakage issue - they have said there is a known problem with EO chargers, a faulty chip, and likely EO will need to provide a replacement unit. Still no timelines on when they will call out, when they will replace and no updates. I remain unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Had a guy from ESBN out today. He claims the car charger was installed wrongly. That instead of feeding from the meter it should have been fed from our main fusebox. He claims if we use the electric shower and charge the car at the same time it will blow the main fuse and ESBN will need to come out at a cost to fix

The car charger installer put a new fusebox between the meter and the existing fusebox and ran the car charger from the new fusebox. We have also used both the charger and the shower concurrently many times in the past without issue, the charger automatically drops the current to the car to compensate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Advertisement

Changing our meter, he also disconnected the charger from the meter while he was there as the installation was incorrect and apparently illegal as well as the other things mentioned above

Probably wasn’t ESBN but a subcontractor.

I assume your response was, the meter had load balancing. It’s grand. And at the time on installation it was to code

i assume your charger does have load balancing

I assume your response was, the meter had load balancing.

It was my response and the answer I got back was that "it wasn't fine" and he also claims that they bypassed the meter in some way... Now I'm not entirely sure in what way because my car charging was definitely appearing on my bill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He has some fcukin neck to go disconnecting anything in your house. I'd have told him in no uncertain terms where to go, cheeky bastard🤬. What type of chargepoint have you got? It obviously has load balancing as you've seen it working as demand gets higher. Can you reconnect it yourself? That's what I'd be doing.

Ah yeah, and blow myself to kingdom come, no thanks haha! There's 2 things that I won't touch for the purposes of DIY, one of them is anything electrical

I sent on the details including Mr ESB mans contact details to the installers who are sending an engineer before the weekend so should be sorted then

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Folks, have been reading back through a few pages of this thread but couldn't see anything really relevant. What is the current average cost of a home charger installation? I got one price from a well recommended installer so far and waiting on a few other installers to get back to me.

The price I got is €1330 +VAT before the grant for a Zappi with a 6.5 meter cable tethered. It will be run from the meter box on the side of the house as the C/U is located at the rear opposite end of the house to the driveway. That price includes a surge protector but no priority switch added as there is only one electric shower in the house. Is that an average price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Sounds like you’re lucky to be still connected to the grid. Either he doesn’t know much about EV chargers or your installer doesn’t know much about electrical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It’s probably quite close to an average price now given the way EV charger installation rates have risen in recent years. Obviously the grant means they have to declare all the work and they’re more than making up for it. If you can find a regular electrician willing to install it and charge you based on time and materials, it would surely be way cheaper.

That thought had crossed my mind as well, possibly lucky to be alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks, unfortunately trying to get a spark or any tradesman to do any job in my area these days is a challenge in itself. Most either have plenty of work already or want a week's wage from even the most basic of work. Supply and fitting one stop shop suits me but just want to make sure I'm not paying over the average for the convenience. I haven't even decided on my next car yet but given the choices out there it probably will have a plug of some sort.

Advertisement