Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Nothing to do with costs - it's because it's not an ideal situation, and done poorly (as it often is) it can create a world of problems. Best avoided unless absolutely necessary - the ESB should never have agreed to it.

It was very feasible to install from the distribution board, the deciding factor was which side of the front door the charger was to be installed. What does surge protection look like and I'll check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Something like this

If you're unsure you could upload an image of your board and the board they installed.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

huh, my zappi was installed to meter cabinet. will have to check that in the morning.

reputable company as far as i know (and someone posted positively about them here previously)

cost was €1350 + VAT before grant - 3500 seems very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

ePower came back today with their quote for a Zappi - cost will be similar to yours after the grant applied, much more reasonable so I'll probably have them do it. Once the house is assessed properly it might be less.

Nothing back still on asking for a breakdown on the €3,500 quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PorcoRosso

Had a zappi 2.1 installed yesterday. Updated firmware immediately upon setting up wi-fi connection, etc. Started to charge the car, had the "CT Grid Lost" error come up and it stopped working. I changed "CT detect" to off, charges no problem to max 7.4kwh for single phase install.

I did message MyEnergi, they said to check the CT clamp, it's connected to Live (Brown) wire only which I believe is correct? They've then suggested I get a Harvi - from my basic research this doesn't make sense bearing in mind current set-up.

For the forseeable I have no solar PV, energy producing/storage set-up, I only am charging my car (which I do want to manage, schedule charging, etc). Any idea why they would advise installing the Harvi now to stop "CT Grid Lost" error, and any ramifications of having "CT Detect" off?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sligobuck

You are being very selective in your response so not presenting a complete picture. Wiring from the meter box can be cheaper in most cases where there is difficulty getting back to the main DB. Adding a home charging point for many homes can require existing 16 square tails to be upgraded to 25 square and therefore re-certification of the existing DB (not a cheap task).

Taking the EV supply from the small CU inside the meter box with an additional MCB in this CU running across to an outside DB with Isolation, RCD and Surge Protection can be cheaper than having to upgrade main tails and all the added work and cost this entails.

🌞 8.60kWp PV System. Comprised of 6.2kWp @ 235° azimuth + 2.4kWp @ 145° azimuth, roof angle @ 35°, North Sligo 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If you have an electric shower the CT must work or the total load with your car charging and someone in the shower will blow the main ESB fuse. They should come back to sort it. Is the CT clamp connected by a separate network type cable to the Zappi or is it a wireless connection? I don't have a Zappi myself so I'm not sure of the setup. My CP is connected by cable to the CT clamp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Although I would say if you have 16mm2 tails you are fine, it's the houses that may only have 10mm2 (eg mine was, built in 1980) and only a 8kva connection, screw in fuseboard etc, that really could do with the upgrade.

Mine was upgraded thankfully without too much hassle, bungalow made running the new cables much easier, earth rod, bonding of the hotpress etc.

There is no one size fits all, and with load balancing charge points gives a bit of wiggle room, esp if there's no electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Sorry, but I substantially disagree with your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PorcoRosso

No electric shower here so that wouldn’t be an issue. Just confused as from hours of googling last night, looks like the clamp is on correctly in right direction (it’s not wireless, it’s on live wire in the zappi unit pointing towards the board, not the meter). I’ll try myenergi again and if not will get the sparky back. Cheers for your help 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

i have currently a zappi charger latest version but might be getting a new oem charger to test from a company. I don't want to interfere with the zappi charger - can you split at the isolator switch and wire to a second charger? will get an electrician to do it obviously. I wouldnt ever want to use both at the same time although would like to have the zappi powered as its the master to my eddi in terms of solar diversion

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

No, you won't get a sparks to sign off on wiring it like that, they have to assume both chargers will be used simultaneously and wire accordingly. I assume you're talking about having two 32A chargers in the one house? Basically what you're suggesting would potentially have a 64A load on a circuit sized for a 32A load.

You'll have to ask a sparks about your specific install, load balancing/priority would probably be required for that depending on your setup. Unless the company giving you the charger are paying for installation, it might not be worth the hassle/cost.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

The zappi definitely has load balancing so would dial down the load on the house. The other one does as well. Might not get to test it at all just checking options. For example if the shower is on and other appliances the zappi will scale back from 7kwh. If the new one worked out I'd look at removing the zappi and selling it on. It's a product in beta testing so that's why I don't want to risk removing the zappi just yet. If I do end up replacing the zappi I'd probably have to buy a harvi to keep the Eddi working properly for solar diversion

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah there is a way around that, a zappi can do grid limit and a group limit.

You have a CT on your grid for the grid limit, then also another CT on the cable feeding the dual chargers.

It will not allow more than say 32 amps to be drawn on that cable, and also keeps the overall house load under its set amount.

Although if you need house load balancing, I dare say both would need to be a zappi.

You could change the Isolator to a 3 position isolator where 0 would be off 1 could be existing charge point and 2 could be new charge point. Only one point would work at a time. I haven't given it much thought so it's just an idea, a generator changeover switch might do the trick.

☀️

Was thinking that to. Id probably need to bite the bullet and fit a Harvey and new CT clamp for the Eddi to work while the zappi is switched off. I don't think the Eddi can work with the zappi powered down?

• Advertisement

Giving this more thought, you might need individual isolators for the charge points downstream of the changeover switch.

☀️

Could fit the change over switch after the existing isolator?

They might be classed as two separate appliances requiring individual isolation. 🤷

☀️

Would it not be easier to remove the Zappi and reinstall if it doesn't work out?

☀️

Yeah i might need to anyway due to space.. all supposition anyway till I find out if they sending me a charger. They just recommended not removing the existing charger in case for some reason theirs has teething issues.

Ya that's where you might run into problems alright.

Depending on the spark you might get away with just the changeover switch. I can't think of a safety issue here and the whole point of this exorcise is to only use one charge point at a time anyway.

Post edited by allinthehead on

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

Hey, totally new to this game. Got quoted €2,400 to install Zappi at home. Quite a bit more than I expected. Need some upgrading at home apparently.

Any advice on getting cheaper? Is it pointless getting EV and not having home charger? Home charging from normal plug any use at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They're about 1200 and you can knock half off with the SEAI grant

I've no idea what upgrades are needed to cost 2400 but maybe get a 2nd opinion and quote. I wouldn't get too hung up on brand once it's safe and legit, they're only a socket really. Just make sure it's tethered.

And yes, it'll be a pain to have an EV without a home charger and will be more costly in a matter of months using the public network v installing your own. Don't do it without home charger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can charge from any household outlet and get 2kW per hour or say 24kWh overnight each night which is enough for 100km daily commute. It's slow , not recommended and you should at least replace the socket on the house side for a brand new one. There is a higher fire risk and it does not have all the safety features of a proper charger.

A proper charger is 3 x quicker and also allows you to top up after arriving home before you go out again in the evening to meet friends etc.

As suggested get another quote. Try find out the technical reason. Often they are correct in that they are not allowed install chargers where the fuse board is very old, bad or no earth, new tails needed etc. I would be worried if someone else said these safety upgrades are not needed. Some installers just walk away in these cases as it needs multiple visits and hassle.

Some installers can quote over the phone with a video call to check fuse board etc.

You may need to get ESB networks to also visit depending on issue.

Long term it's an addition to the house, possibly reducing fire and shock risk and hopefully the install will outlive the car and work for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

Extras were isolator cable truckn breaker €200, surge protection €200, earth rod €150, earthing in hot press €150, upgrade mains cable €380 and labour €350 .

if it need to be done it needs to be done but just don’t want to get ripped off either.

Advertisement