Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Daveq

I had a similar issue and similar cost. House was built approx 1970 and to get safe cert the tails had to be upgraded to 16sq. New earth rod, earth to earth rod, earth in the hot press and kitchen sink all upgraded to 10sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭crl84

Same as above for me.

Charger was installed for 1200, then 600 back with the grant. They left it running 16a until upgrades were done to the house, charged at 3.5KW/h for a few months.

1800 to an electrician for upgrades to mains connection for 16sq, earth rod installed, earthing of hot water cylinder and sinks, metal switches to lights replaced, testing of sockets and certification etc.

Also 165 to ESB to come out and upgrade from the mains/meter into the junction box thing the electrician left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

In much the same boat in that a few weeks back I was quoted €3,500, later €1,600 when I approached another company. Was due the install on Friday, but the electrician had to walk away when he pointed out that there's nowhere along the side of the house suitable to fit the Zappi because of the external insulation - also because the fuse board is located in the back of the kitchen, linking it to a charger (and where to place the cabling) complicates things further again. Even though it's an A-Rated new build, it wasn't pre-wired. Because he was expecting a simpler install, they're going to have to send someone else out to assess it in more detail but I was assured it'll be sorted. Though it could be back to square one again with a high quote with all the apparent work needed.

As was already said, I'd keep looking for quotes. The granny cable is fine on occasion, but extremely slow and I wouldn't be using it for a full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Unless Electricity prices come down soon, yes, it's a completely pointless and a waste of money

I defo need to change the car in the next few year and was/am considering EV an PHEV

Problem is that electricity is nearly as expensive as fuel at the moment.

The cheapest Day rate I could find as of the 13th of Sept 2023 was 44.51c per kWh (I get there are better bundle deals and night rates)

based on my calculations:

2020 Nissan Leaf 62kWh

€30 to charge it from a Domestic Charger - 239 miles

1 mile = €0.12 per mile

2008 Mazda 6 Diesel (Current Car)

€117 to fill it - 770 mile range

1 mile = €0.15 per mile

VW Polo Petrol 1.0

€71 to fill it - 497 mile range

1 mile = €0.14

The cost incentive is basically gone at this stage. If charging from a fast charger expect to pay more.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-an-electric-car-in-ireland.html

Night Rate is grand if ya fancy plugging in the the car at 23:00 and have DR/NR meter

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Generally you rely on timers either on the car or the charge point to use time of use tariffs such as a night rate. You don't have to plug in at 11pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

This is exactly what I'm doing and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The cost incentive is basically gone at this stage. If charging from a fast charger expect to pay more.

Just to be clear on this.... fueling costs are roughly the same but the prices of the vehicles themselves are also approaching parity. (particularly EV's) So things are beginning to level out.

PHEV's are still quite dear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Not all, take the niro k3, hybrid 38k, plug in 40k and the EV 44 k, its worse again for the k4, 7000 between the phev and ev.

In my use case the plug in for 40k would be better value, it would still take 2 years or so to recover the extra 2000 euro over the 38 k hybrid.

It was the case for the ID4 and tiguan phev, 4000 euro cheaper for the phev, but that has now reversed, I don't know what price the diesel version is,

Any way phev on a timer and night rate, night rate also means other things could be put on timers, washing machines, dish washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭crl84

If you use standard day rates then sure.

Most people will use night rate or special EV rates though.

I have the Electric Ireland free weekend day, I've done over 2200kms in my EV and spent less than €25 on electricity for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

I agree that charging an EV using standard rates like you have shown above isn't financially advisable.

However, if you have an EV charger installed at home, have an enabled smart meter and a smart meter rate that offers low EV charging prices then you can charge an EV for around 0.07c to 0.10c per kW.

For me with a Tesla Model 3 RWD, that works out at about €1.33 per 100km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Hi,

Has anyone bought a Zappi charger from ebay and then got an electrician to install it?

I see you can get the charger for about £500 on ebay uk.

Any issues with claiming the grant by going this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

No issues with the grant so long as you can provide a receipt for the charge point and an invoice from the rec.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

charge at night. Plug in the car at 6pm and sets a timer in the car or charger to automatically charge at night.

You don’t need to plug in at 23:00. And you don’t need a day night meter , a smart meter will do too

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

Hey guys, As my fusebox needs upgrading does anyone know if it would be safe to use the granny cable in the meantime until I get upgrades done??

thanks

Honestly, nobody here can answer that without seeing your electrics. It should be fine, If the house wiring is good and it's just the board that needs attention. I wouldn't leave it in for 8, 9, 10 hours continously if I had reservations about the wiring, certainly not at night. You could try it for a few hours and check for heat.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭donalh087

Jaysus - I just filled in their online quote questionnaire and on the last page they say they don't work outside the 6 or 7 counties around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Slightly off topic. As I don't have an EV and don't see myself having one for a few years.

But could I use the grant to install an EV charge point, whilst still getting any short term gains from it, like having the fuse board upgraded to run two electric showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

When I got my cp installed I had to send pictures of the installed CP with my car in the picture with its number plate clearly visible. I'm assuming you want to get the grant. Is there any domestic installation that allows 2 showers to run simultaneously? I didn't think there was tbh, if you can get it installed I'd imagine 600 euro would make very little impact on the total cost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Rules have changed, you don't need a car anymore to get the grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Two showers was an example (I know close to nothing about electrics) but wanted to see if there was a short term advantage I can use now, whilst using the EV Charger in the future.

If there isn't I will sit tight until I need a charger, if there is I would consider getting it done now and have X years of whatever this advantage is.

So the question is, is there any short term benefits that can be gained?

Only advantage is to get the grant while it's still in place.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The grant is relatively small. It will be swallowed up by the charge point. Any upgrades required to the fuse board etc will be extra on top that you will have to stump up for, so not much to be gained unless you are factoring in that the grant will disappear in future in which case the potential gain is the €600 the grant gives you today. That’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭eagerv

I see a type 2 charging cable in Lidl next Thurs. Seems good value for a 5M cable..

https://www.lidl.ie/p/electric-car-charging-cable/p10011623?pageId=10029881&tabCode=Next_Sales_Week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The only benefit to an EVSE is to facilitate charging of electric vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭traco

Hi all. New Tesla Model Y arrival due very very soon.

I know I should have charging all sorted before buying however she has free charging in work and usually in two days a week although they are back to back. Hoping that leaving thursday to come home she will be fully charged and its 50km back along the M50.

Anyway - my electrical situation involved and early 70's semi-d.

We are still on the prehistoric spinning ESB meter with what looks to me like 10sq cables to the fuse board so they need upgrading.

The fuse box is more or less directly behind and above the meter box on the external wall and I think I'd like the charger on the dividing wall with the neighbor. This would be be beack out, down, accross the side access up the wall and out about a meter. Total run I'd guss is maybe 6m with all the turns etc.

So I need to get the cables from the meter to the fuse box upgraded from 10sq to 16sq -and a new meter installed? What meter should I get? Newest latest smartest or something between the smartest and my current dumbest? BTW we did have an electric shower but that has been replaced with a power shower so while cable and breaker is there its not used. I don't know if it will ever be again but I think I'd like to keep that option available just in case. Kitchen has been upgraded so new electric cookers and an induction hob gone in and new cables run for those to meet latest regs.

Next chargers - no solar at the moment but a definte possiblility down the line but could be a while. Is zappi the best for smart charging / load balancing use etc or is there another option?

Given that this a blank install what would be the best most optimum future proofed instalation I should go for particulalry as I'm coming from basically nothing being goood enough?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Lidl Cable looks fine but Tesla were selling a similar Mennekes branded one for €99 a few months back. Can’t see it on their site now but it was recommended here several times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I got one, I don't think it's 5 meters though, top quality cable in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Tesla one might only be 4m but I’m not certain. Mennekes would be good quality for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Advertisement