Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Much extra (net) do the batteries tend to cost on a setup, given that they have an extra grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Much extra (net) do the batteries tend to cost on a setup, given that they have an extra grant?

Thats a tough one to call, depends on who you ask!

unkel will tell you its free to have a battery! :P

The way I look at it is the following....
    battery - at least €1200 for ~2kWh battery, so quite small.
    extra for hybrid inverter - ~€800
    extra labour and misc bits - ~€400

subtract the €1k grant leaves you a net cost of ~€1400 which then unlocks an extra €1400 in panel grants.

You'll get different values though depending on who is quoting you. They might overprice the "no battery" quote to make the "with battery" quote look better value but its hard to get away from the hard figures that the batteries are not cheap and my figures above are fairly accurate based on quotes I've got and what you see on supplier websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    unkel will tell you its free to have a battery! :P

The way I look at it is the following....
    battery - at least €1200 for ~2kWh battery, so quite small.
    extra for hybrid inverter - ~€800
    extra labour and misc bits - ~€400

subtract the €1k grant leaves you a net cost of ~€1400 which then unlocks an extra €1400 in panel grants.

Add that all up and it comes to zero. Nada. Gratis. Which is a pretty good description of it being free in my book :p

unkel wrote: »
    Add that all up and it comes to zero. Nada. Gratis. Which is a pretty good description of it being free in my book :p

I'd call that man maths! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 moose52c

Hi KCross, I'm encountering the issue attached, I have my CU in the hall and only option I'm getting from sparks is that it needs to be ran from the fuse board hall to outside where the meter is attached, the option is there for trip switch route but I'm being told it can't be certified as it's not the correct procedure, so my only option is to run a wire along my hall... it's looking like the grant my not be of much saving! Advice welcome!
    You are not supposed to put anything into the meter box. But you can put a new CU just next to it which would be easy to wire.

Exactly, once you have the new CU off the meter box you can then wire the EVSE off the new CU.... no need to touch anything in the existing CU or trying to pull wires inside attics etc.

PS?

No need to worry about that. You will put a clamp on the incoming mains at the meter box (i.e. before it feeds out to the two CU's) and it will detect what the overall load for the house is and the charge point will read that info and adjust accordingly.

• Advertisement

moose52c wrote: »
    Hi KCross, I'm encountering the issue attached, I have my CU in the hall and only option I'm getting from sparks is that it needs to be ran from the fuse board hall to outside where the meter is attached, the option is there for trip switch route but I'm being told it can't be certified as it's not the correct procedure, so my only option is to run a wire along my hall... it's looking like the grant my not be of much saving! Advice welcome!

Im sorrry, I dont understand your post.

What are you trying to do? Connect a charge point to the CU in the hall?
    Why cant you run a new cable along the same route as the cable connecting the meter box to the CU?

Sorry! I'm looking to hook up a charge point, my meter is outside front door and the fuse box is in the hall. I'm being told my only option is to run a cable from fuse box to charge point, resulting in having a cable I can't hide or don't want visable in hall.

Is this my only option or is it possible to run a setup from trip switch that will allow a cert for grant? Thanks
    Im sorrry, I dont understand your post.

What are you trying to do? Connect a charge point to the CU in the hall?
    Why cant you run a new cable along the same route as the cable connecting the meter box to the CU?

Sorry! I'm looking to hook up a charge point, my meter is outside front door and the fuse box is in the hall. I'm being told my only option is to run a cable from fuse box to charge point, resulting in having a cable I can't hide or don't want visable in hall.

Is this my only option or is it possible to run a setup from trip switch that will allow a cert for grant? Thanks

Two options...
    - run a cable from the CU in the hall
    - setup a new CU next to the outside meter box and run the charge point off that. This is usually more work and would cost more as a result but should mean no new cabling inside the house.

Running it from the CU is the typical method though, if at all possible.

Is the CU on an external wall? If yes, can you just bore a hold out and run the cable outside, with minimal visible inside?

If not, can you go up from the CU into the attic?

If not, then I guess you need the cable along the hall wall but maybe it could be hidden behind skirting board or something.

Hard to tell really without seeing it.

External wall isn't an option unfortunately!! I think the best option for me would be run it behind the skirt board I presume that's allowed? Thanks for the insight KCross much appreciated!!
    Two options...
    - run a cable from the CU in the hall
    - setup a new CU next to the outside meter box and run the charge point off that. This is usually more work and would cost more as a result but should mean no new cabling inside the house.

Running it from the CU is the typical method though, if at all possible.

Is the CU on an external wall? If yes, can you just bore a hold out and run the cable outside, with minimal visible inside?

If not, can you go up from the CU into the attic?

If not, then I guess you need the cable along the hall wall but maybe it could be hidden behind skirting board or something.

Hard to tell really without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mensa

Never heard of them, but what are you getting for €500? 16Amp or 32Amp? Tethered or untethered?

The 500 Euro quote is for a 16A/32A homecharge standard unit, untethered. Actually, just looking at the quote it doesn't include VAT, so the real price is Euro 615!
    If anyone has contact details of any other supplier to supply, purchase only, home charge points, I would appreciate it. I am finding it hard to get quotes - most companies I have contacted will quote for supply and install only.
    Thanks in advance
    M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

mensa wrote: »
    The 500 Euro quote is for a 16A/32A homecharge standard unit, untethered. Actually, just looking at the quote it doesn't include VAT, so the real price is Euro 615!
    If anyone has contact details of any other supplier to supply, purchase only, home charge points, I would appreciate it. I am finding it hard to get quotes - most companies I have contacted will quote for supply and install only.
    Thanks in advance
    M

I got mine from https://evonestop.co.uk/
    Think it was about €450 in total (32A untethered), and I got a KW meter and changed colour of the wallpod. Happy with it so far. Seems there's £25 off at the moment with code EVOS25

EDIT: And the pound is in the toilet so it's even cheaper now to buy from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

it should be possible then to put another CU beside the meter, this is what was done in my house and that CU was made the primary and the one inside the house was fed off that one. (my terminology could be wrong!)

as KCross said it is dearer than running the cable, but far neater. my CU was in the middle of the house and the shortest inside run was to run the cable through two rooms, and then all the way around the house, which did not please me! it was about 1800 from memory inc VAT for the new CU on the wall outside vs about 1000 for the cabling to be run.

took them about half a day or a little more of drilling out the wall and then wiring and testing.

Today I learned that car charging + oven on + kettle boiling = a frantic search for a main house fuse at 7.30pm.

I feel defeated

Why were you charging at the expensive day rate, your car empty and have an unexpected trip this evening?

Fuse doesn't blow from 7kW car + 3kW oven + 3kW kettle + baseload of your house, that's a bit over 13kW. Fuse is 63A, or 15kW

But if you have all of the above on and the microwave and the washing machine, yeah, then it might pop. What were you thinking in fairness? :p If you reckon you might switch on everything you own at the same time again, maybe you should get a priority switch installed :pac:

Why were you charging at the expensive day rate, your car empty and have an unexpected trip this evening?

Fuse doesn't blow from 7kW car + 3kW oven + 3kW kettle + baseload of your house, that's a bit over 13kW. Fuse is 63A, or 15kW

But if you have all of the above on and the microwave and the washing machine, yeah, then it might pop. What were you thinking in fairness? :p If you reckon you might switch on everything you own at the same time again, maybe you should get a priority switch installed :pac:

Wasn't even thinking about what was on or not. I was thinking, I best get these spuds boiling and get food in my belly. Trying to think what else was running, but honestly that was about it. Mini pc in the attic, but that shouldn't be pulling more than a few hundred watts.

Sparks said my main fuse setup is old anyways. Gonna call around during the week and upgrade it. The callout was free (so far), but he'll make up for it im sure.

As for the "Expensive day rate", i've not got a night meter installed. I've a few months left on my current electricity provider contract so i'll have to wait until then before I care about charging at night. Though with this drama tonight I might just charge at night regardless.

As for the "Expensive day rate", i've not got a night meter installed. I've a few months left on my current electricity provider contract so i'll have to wait until then before I care about charging at night.

No you don't have to wait!

The process is you ring your provider and request a night rate meter. They will ring ESB networks who will call out to you and install it. For free. I had mine done several weeks before my EV arrived.

For a typical house, you more or less break even if you carry on as before. If you put on some appliances on purpose during the night rate, or have them on timers, you will save money. If you own an EV it's a no brainer, you will save a small fortune. I think you do above average mileage and you get below average efficiency? 30k km in Ioniq at day rate costs roughtly €750 at night rate €330. I know where I would rather that €420 to go :)

No you don't have to wait!

The process is you ring your provider and request a night rate meter. They will ring ESB networks who will call out to you and install it. For free. I had mine done several weeks before my EV arrived.

For a typical house, you more or less break even if you carry on as before. If you put on some appliances on purpose during the night rate, or have them on timers, you will save money. If you own an EV it's a no brainer, you will save a small fortune. I think you do above average mileage and you get below average efficiency? 30k km in Ioniq at day rate costs roughtly €750 at night rate €330. I know where I would rather that €420 to go :)

I'll check it out sure. Was convinced because I only changed energy provider within the last 12 months that I'd not be able.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mensa

I got mine from https://evonestop.co.uk/
    Think it was about €450 in total (32A untethered), and I got a KW meter and changed colour of the wallpod. Happy with it so far. Seems there's £25 off at the moment with code EVOS25

EDIT: And the pound is in the toilet so it's even cheaper now to buy from the UK

Thanks a million Black Knight for that information. Can I ask: What is a Kwh Meter and why would you buy it as an extra.?
    Other optional extras include - a 18th edition DC monitoring module, which disconnects the supply in case of a DC fault above 6 mA. Is this important?

Thanks in advance
    M

I'll check it out sure. Was convinced because I only changed energy provider within the last 12 months that I'd not be able.

Nope. Nothing to do with your provider. Go for it, will save you hundreds. And it saves the environment too, big style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I changed a few months into contract with Energia, no issue. In fact, the customer support agent seemed to imply it would have been an issue if out of contract but didn't probe too much on that.

• Advertisement

mensa wrote: »
    Thanks a million Black Knight for that information. Can I ask: What is a Kwh Meter and why would you buy it as an extra.?
    Other optional extras include - a 18th edition DC monitoring module, which disconnects the supply in case of a DC fault above 6 mA. Is this important?

Thanks in advance
    M

Kwh meter is just a little digital display on the charger, which shows how many KWs have gone through it. Think of it like a meter reading specifically for your car.

Not sure about the 18th edition DC monitoring module. Others may know.
    Nope. Nothing to do with your provider. Go for it, will save you hundreds. And it saves the environment too, big style.

Done
    ethernet wrote: »
    I changed a few months into contract with Energia, no issue. In fact, the customer support agent seemed to imply it would have been an issue if out of contract but didn't probe too much on that.

And done.

It's in ESBs hands now (they were only just out to me about 2 months ago moving my meter from inside the house to outside the house). Happy days once that's in.

Mine took only a few days to get installed. But that was early 2017, I bet they install a good few more night rate meters theses days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

If you own an EV it's a no brainer, you will save a small fortune........ at night rate €330. I know where I would rather that €420 to go :)

Better again, why not save that €330 by availing of free pixies at your local (& free!) fast charger!

Remember - shop local.

:D

Kramer wrote: »
    Better again, why not save that €330 by availing of free pixies at your local (& free!) fast charger!

Remember - shop local.

This is why (filtered by CCS):
    2d8f192e4934ce4d0addaf60962e3a6f.png

This is why (filtered by CCS)

Probably frugal locals :D.

Probably frugal locals :D.

Maybe. Kinsale road fast charger has been out of action all week. I reported it to ESB on Tuesday and they've done nothing. Only noticed Rochestown was out on Wednesday when I looked to see was Kinsale roundabout fixed and and it too has had no progress.

It's shameful maintenance. N25 making EV drivers a little more anxious now.

Remember - shop local.

I used to do that up to the start of last year or so. As my local FCP is just around the corner where there are loads of shops and takeaways that I frequent and I drive past there several times a day.

It also happens to be the busiest FCP in Ireland, so there is almost always at least 1 car charging. I have seen 5 EVs at that point. I guess the last one must be queuing for at least 2-3 hours.

Now I don't even bother looking if the charger is free as I know most likely it won't be

As my local FCP is just around the corner

Local did you say?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

I am (still) having difficulty trying to identify supplier of home EV charge points in Ireland.
    I know of 2: https://kellihers.com/ and https://www.randridgetechnologies.ie/

Does anyone know other shops / businesses based in Ireland that supply home EV charge points?
    Thanks in advance.
    DM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

demello wrote: »
    I am (still) having difficulty trying to identify supplier of home EV charge points in Ireland.
    I know of 2: https://kellihers.com/ and https://www.randridgetechnologies.ie/

Does anyone know other shops / businesses based in Ireland that supply home EV charge points?
    Thanks in advance.
    DM

http://theevcompany.com/

Advertisement