Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

http://www.darkinelectrical.ie

Depends where you are in the country really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

demello wrote: »
    I am (still) having difficulty trying to identify supplier of home EV charge points in Ireland.
    I know of 2: https://kellihers.com/ and https://www.randridgetechnologies.ie/

Does anyone know other shops / businesses based in Ireland that supply home EV charge points?
    Thanks in advance.
    DM

Nigel M Daly do them fast and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

eoferrall wrote: »
    Nigel M Daly do them fast and well.

But not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Hi all, EV newbie here with a 40kWh Leaf. Wondering if anyone has experience with the SEAI grant for getting a home charger installed - how quickly do you hear back and is it more or less automatically granted? They say not to start any work before getting your letter of offer. My case should be easy enough, homeowner with off street space, no SEAI grant received for the house before.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I did this last year, once car was purchase I could apply for the charger grant, I applied and while waiting to see if I could go ahead I bought the charger online and got an electrician lined up.

If I remember correctly I then received the form from SEAI for the electrician to fill out once he did the work - I did not start the work until I received this form as getting the electrician to fill it out later would of been awkward.

In the meantime I had a distance of 25m to where I wanted the charger so I pulled the cable with my brother all ready for hookup. All the electrician had to do was put in a priority switch (as had an electric shower) and as I mounted the charger myself connect it to the cable and test.

Using this method even though I had a long distance cable and also a priority switch cost, the total cost was only around 850euro, so after SEAI grant it cost 250euro.

Note even if you buy the charger yourself you need to include it in the cost on the seai form as I hadnt (the form assumes that the electrician provided it) but it was returned to me to edit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm having trouble with my Zappi charger. It has not charged my Hyundai ioniq for the past 3 nights. I'm getting an error on screen 'ventilation'. This error is not in the manual so I'm unsure of cause or how to fix it. Waiting for myenergi to get back to me but has anyone here got this error? How did ye fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Apply online, you will get a letter in about 4 days to confirm offer. Send them the paper work back and the grant is a week or so later.

I installed mine before the letter and had no issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very simple.
    Applied online.
    Got approval.
    I had everything fitted over a year and just needed to get it certified. Sent certs with photos of install.

Paid 4 weeks later.

*I probably shouldn't admit that on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm having trouble with my Zappi charger. It has not charged my Hyundai ioniq for the past 3 nights. I'm getting an error on screen 'ventilation'. This error is not in the manual so I'm unsure of cause or how to fix it. Waiting for myenergi to get back to me but has anyone here got this error? How did ye fix it?

Found this on the ipace forums:
    "there is a batch of Zappi's with this error. You should have it replaced. My new main unit is already sent to me. Raised the issue yesterday"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It would be unfair if you didn't get the grant because you bought a second hand EV, back when you only got the grant for new EVs (well a free install, not an actual grand)

As long as there is just max one EVSE for every domestic MPRN (home electricity meter identification number), I can't see the problem!

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    But not cheap.

no not cheapest, but the only ones who would consider other options than a wire all the way through the house. confirmed with safe electric the approach was in compliance.

they were around the same price as others for the standard approach. approx 1k.

no not cheapest, but the only ones who would consider other options than a wire all the way through the house. confirmed with safe electric the approach was in compliance.

I paid €170 for my install and supplied my own Zappi. I did have the spark onsite and it was an extra 1/2 day for him. I get amazed at the quotes of €600 for an install that takes a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nigel Daly did my install (under the old free scheme). He did an excellent job in what probably was the easiest possible installation (consumer unit on same bit of hall wall on the inside as the charger was going on the outside). Can't remember how long it took, maybe 1.5 hours

Cost of materials used (cable, ducting, RCBO) at trade prices incl. VAT less than €100, so indeed how anyone can get away with charge €400-€500 labour for this and to fill in 5 minutes of paperwork is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Just to make sure... Zappi is only Type2 charger isn't !?

Without going down the route of buying a second cable adapter, whats the best charger for Type 1 please ?

rolion wrote: »
    Just to make sure... Zappi is only Type2 charger isn't !?

Without going down the route of buying a second cable adapter, whats the best charger for Type 1 please ?

Zappi Mk1 was both. They are out of stock of the Mk1 now and there is a 12 week lead time on the Mk2. Mk2 is tethered (type 1 or 2) and untethered.

Zappi Mk1 was both. They are out of stock of the Mk1 now and there is a 12 week lead time on the Mk2. Mk2 is tethered (type 1 or 2) and untethered.

EVERYONE praises this Zappi charger and EVERYTIME i checked stock online was none available...so either is very good or is hand made.

Need a second charger and i guess going for same as first juicenet and the expensive cable adapter type2 to type1...hmmm.

EVERYONE praises this Zappi charger and EVERYTIME i checked stock online was none available...so either is very good or is hand made.

Need a second charger and i guess going for same as first juicenet and the expensive cable adapter type2 to type1...hmmm.

There was a delay on the mk2 coming out and they were running down the stocks of the Mk1 sobthere had been a drought recently. Having said that, I bought in November and was lucky that Electric Autos got stock in the week I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

What other options were these?

There was a delay on the mk2 coming out and they were running down the stocks of the Mk1 sobthere had been a drought recently. Having said that, I bought in November and was lucky that Electric Autos got stock in the week I needed it.

Think I will go for a GARO type charger instead... anyone have and use one !?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Hi all,

Has anyone covered in there charger on the external wall for example like an steel enclosure that I could lock. I ask as my Elvi charger has a light on the front that is very bright in the dark and with the dark nights on the way I want to cover it in so I don’t draw attention to the charger.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

can you not tape it over, having said that I believe alarmed steel enclosures aves will come commonplace to reduce the risk of theft of charging cable/charger

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

can you not tape it over, having said that I believe alarmed steel enclosures aves will come commonplace to reduce the risk of theft of charging cable/charger
    I would rather cover it over and have it locked

I have bought some weather proof cases from local electrical wholesaler.
    Despite charger being listed as weather proof...

In one i fitted one charger while on second,waiting these days for another charger.
    Locked the doors and drilled few holes for the lights to be seen from the path.

489001.jpg

489002.jpg

I paid €170 for my install and supplied my own Zappi. I did have the spark onsite and it was an extra 1/2 day for him. I get amazed at the quotes of €600 for an install that takes a couple of hours.

That's note really like with like though?

I did not have someone onsite, they had to cut out a chunk of the wall and also supply all the materials/chargers.

Obviously dearer than I wished, but when only one company is thinking of other solutions rather than the easy one I have to pay more.

Spoke to many electricians and they all would only wire from internal fuse etc. despite both safe electric and ESB saying the approach NMD went with was fine.

I did not have someone onsite, they had to cut out a chunk of the wall and also supply all the materials/chargers.

Obviously dearer than I wished, but when only one company is thinking of other solutions rather than the easy one I have to pay more.

Spoke to many electricians and they all would only wire from internal fuse etc. despite both safe electric and ESB saying the approach NMD went with was fine.

Can you expand on the NMD approach please, and how it differs fro what the sparks want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

What way did they do it?

17larsson wrote: »
    What way did they do it?
    I too am puzzled by this, I had them install one for me and they went back to the board with a new breaker on the panel...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

phat1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone covered in there charger on the external wall for example like an steel enclosure that I could lock. I ask as my Elvi charger has a light on the front that is very bright in the dark and with the dark nights on the way I want to cover it in so I don’t draw attention to the charger.

Thanks

I put my Zappi on inside of the garage and brought the cable through the wall. Works really well!!

I have bought some weather proof cases from local electrical wholesaler.
    Despite charger being listed as weather proof...

In one i fitted one charger while on second,waiting these days for another charger.
    Locked the doors and drilled few holes for the lights to be seen from the path.

489001.jpg

489002.jpg
    it looks great, think I will call in to an local electrical supplier and do the same

• Advertisement

Can you expand on the NMD approach please, and how it differs fro what the sparks want to do?
    17larsson wrote: »
    What way did they do it?
    I too am puzzled by this, I had them install one for me and they went back to the board with a new breaker on the panel...

bear in mind I am not an electrification and my terminology and description might be off from understanding an a failed memory!

they cut/drilled out a hole in the external wall beside the ESB meter box and installed a new box, and then removed the 6 inch tails from the fuse beside the meter and wired to a new fuse in the new box which the charger is connected to and then wired the existing wires into this one also.

Essentially they installed a new fusebox outside and made the internal one a secondary fuse board. So the charger comes from the external fuse board and this is the primary one and the house also comes from this one.

hope that makes sense!

every other electrician i spoke to said no could not do that and had to come from the fuse box. this made me a bit wary of the approach, but I rang safe electric and whilst they wouldn't give me a definite answer as I was not an electrician i got enough that I was happy, I also chatted to the ESB and they had no issues with it either, so I was comfortable to get them in and do the work and pay the premium to avoid the unsightly cables in the house and the disruption internally.

Advertisement