Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Folks - I'm due to take delivery of a Tesla Model 3 before the end of the month. Need to get my finger out and sort the home charger. I have applied for the grant, new point is wired to outside. What charger is best value for money & also looking for spark recommendations in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

daheff wrote: »
    got my gen 2 untethered Zappi installed last week. happy with it so far, but still need to play around with it a bit.

anybody got any tips on what i should be using/doing with it?

Do you mind me asking where you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask (have tried to search)

Does the BMW Wallbox Pro T2 have a built-in load balancer to deal with an electric shower in the house.

The unit spec is not helping..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

niallo32 wrote: »

Does the BMW Wallbox Pro T2 have a built-in load balancer to deal with an electric shower in the house.

The unit spec is not helping..cheers

All models from Plus have load sensing and the Pro has solar input.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

krissovo wrote: »
    All models from Plus have load sensing and the Pro has solar input.

With a function to send all excess solar PV to the car (and the car not getting anything but solar)?

Any link to some specs?

• Advertisement

Anyone recommend a good electrician south Dub to install please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

s8n wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good electrician south Dub to install please ?

Darkin Electrical
    http://www.darkinelectrical.ie/

eddhorse wrote: »

Thank you, I'll give them a call.

Anyone got other suggestions as I'm hoping to get a few prices

unkel wrote: »
    With a function to send all excess solar PV to the car (and the car not getting anything but solar)?

Any link to some specs?

Unfortunately I know no more than the BMW team told me, that it takes solar input with smart sensing. I got it from their customer number 1890 940 106.

The pro is superseded by the Wallbox connect aparently:
    https://www.bmw.ie/content/dam/bmw/marketIE/bmw_ie/pdf/BMW%20i%20Wallbox%20%20Charging%20Brochure.pdf

Quote from documentation:
    “I have a private energy generation system – can I connect the Wallbox to it?”
    A special interface between the private energy generation system and the Wallbox is not required. This means that any system, whether a solar energy system or a CHP (combined heat and power plant), can be connected to the Wallbox. For this purpose additional smart meters are required with the Wallbox, which integrates this interface. If there is no private energy generation system available, e.g. from a solar system or a CHP, the car is charged with power from the grid. This is only possible with the Wallbox Connect.

The only other link I got was:
    https://charging.bmwgroup.com/web/wbdoc/bmw-i-wallbox

krissovo wrote: »
    “I have a private energy generation system – can I connect the Wallbox to it?”
    A special interface between the private energy generation system and the Wallbox is not required. This means that any system, whether a solar energy system or a CHP (combined heat and power plant), can be connected to the Wallbox. For this purpose additional smart meters are required with the Wallbox, which integrates this interface. If there is no private energy generation system available, e.g. from a solar system or a CHP, the car is charged with power from the grid. This is only possible with the Wallbox Connect.

So €1080 for the Wallbox Connect plus whatever the cost is of these additional smart meters. Plus install & configuration cost. That's me out anyway!

Thanks for the info, krissovo

• Advertisement

This might be useful as a sticky for all the charger questions. English prices but might be worth adding to a thread with Irish installers.

https://fullycharged.show/blog/electric-car-chargers-and-installation-how-to-find-the-best-charge-point/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

This might be useful as a sticky for all the charger questions. English prices but might be worth adding to a thread with Irish installers.

]

Same rubbish non technicla terms about that charger that does PV divert smart fcukign thing...
    Not a single technical term about EV minimum charging of 8Ass that takes the shine out of the PV array UNLESS you have a minimum 3KW array so that you can real world parameters fully charge from it in a good day.
    Apart of that, most of the article is well know,i say...

rolion wrote: »
    Same rubbish non technicla terms about that charger that does PV divert smart fcukign thing...
    Not a single technical term about EV minimum charging of 8Ass that takes the shine out of the PV array UNLESS you have a minimum 3KW array so that you can real world parameters fully charge from it in a good day.
    Apart of that, most of the article is well know,i say...

It's not that well known, people ask these questions in this forum all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I've a 16amp home charger installed at the moment and thinking about changing cars... The cable we used, in the run to the charger, will support a 32amp charger (did that for future proofing)

We've a type 1 car right now (that one we're keeping) and looking changing the second car to a type 2... Could I get a second 16amp charger installed (using the grant) in series with the existing one? Or would I need to run another cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Could I get a second 16amp charger installed (using the grant) in series with the existing one?

How did you get the first one installed? Did you get a grant or avail of the older free charger offer? Either of those would rule out a grant for the second one.

From SEAI
    The property can not be associated with a previous EV vehicle grant and charge point offer. For example, it can not have availed of the free ESB Ecars home charger pre 2018.

It's not that well known, people ask these questions in this forum all the time.

Unless i see more techie data on the front of the huge advertising campaign for that brand,i can see this thing happening with some of the end users that have no ideea about how diversion works and the EV's minimum charging parameters.
    My PVs and the solar diverter works in a large range of wattage,from 100w up to 3000W due to resitsive nature of the immersion element. Cant see the same with the EV on-board charger and despite loving to have one installed for myself and repeat requests for graphs and reports, i have seen only "good" things.

More H E R E ...

I've a 16amp home charger installed at the moment and thinking about changing cars... The cable we used, in the run to the charger, will support a 32amp charger (did that for future proofing)

We've a type 1 car right now (that one we're keeping) and looking changing the second car to a type 2... Could I get a second 16amp charger installed (using the grant) in series with the existing one? Or would I need to run another cable?

Hi,

Same situation here but both cars are Type 1 and 3.x KW on board chargers.
    I am thinking on limiting the charging current from 16A down to 8A for each car and let them charge quietly over night,from 12 until morning,when unplugged.
    Also,looked at doing them in series ,lets say 3 hours each on full 16A but then at some point in the early morning,the climate timer kicks in and it could get both of them at full 16A at the same time,not something that i want to have 32A on the wires and fuses even if is safe,according to sources.Worried about the initial start-up,may trigger some "knowns unknowns".

Still working on it...

JohnC. wrote: »
    Could I get a second 16amp charger installed (using the grant) in series with the existing one?

How did you get the first one installed? Did you get a grant or avail of the older free charger offer? Either of those would rule out a grant for the second one.

From SEAI
    The property can not be associated with a previous EV vehicle grant and charge point offer. For example, it can not have availed of the free ESB Ecars home charger pre 2018.

Good question... Got the first via the dealer. The leaf was bought second hand and the dealer got the original charger back from the first owner. They passed it on to us and paid for the install... So, on the surface we didn't get the original grant but just a dealer paid install.

However, I think they said they were filling out the grant paperwork for us - so maybe we did avail of it.

The dealer cannot fill or submit a EV charger grant on your behalf...

You can check SEAI site and based on your mprn see what Grant's you have had or can avail of...

Great stuff rolion... I'll try that later.
    On the install, is it possible/safe/legit to add an outdoor socket, beside the existing 16amp charger, in series? No extra cable, of course I'd need to check and maybe upgrade the rcbo at the board for the existing cable.

That way I could connect the granny cable for one of the cars - even if it's just to allow the ioniq to run its preheating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

How quick are people getting their grant paid back now?

I got the email on August 22nd that said '4 to 6 weeks' but thought I had heard of it happening sooner.

4 weeks here.

Great stuff rolion... I'll try that later.
    On the install, is it possible/safe/legit to add an outdoor socket, beside the existing 16amp charger, in series? No extra cable, of course I'd need to check and maybe upgrade the rcbo at the board for the existing cable.

That way I could connect the granny cable for one of the cars - even if it's just to allow the ioniq to run its preheating

I did that myself DIY but only after the electrician took photos and signed the certificate. See below.
    He gave me advice on how to do it safely and all ok.
    I'm using that outside socket only for cleaning the car as the hover cable is
    always too short...

Not sure about extra load,in your case,check with the electrician when you mount the charger, should not cost you extra except for the parts.
    Shoul dbe fien as is running off the main extra cable but check the rating and load on the outdooe sockets,they may overheat if used for long period of time.

What kind of quotes are folks getting for Charger + Install?

I've got 3 quotes so far and they're averaging about 1400 - 1500 euro before the grant. This seems high, for what looks like a relatively straightforward install. Zappi V2 tethered seems to be a good charger to go for, but it's expensive!

Thanks

Pete

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've got 3 quotes so far and they're averaging about 1400 - 1500 euro before the grant. This seems high, for what looks like a relatively straightforward install. Zappi V2 tethered seems to be a good charger to go for, but it's expensive!

Thanks

Pete

My quote for an EV box is less thank 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

Thanks

Pete

I got a quote of €2k+VAT last week, Zappi 2, need to have another external wall box installed due to fuse board being in the middle of the house.

That's the first quote I've gotten.

Insanity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

pobber1 wrote: »
    I got a quote of €2k+VAT last week, Zappi 2, need to have another external wall box installed due to fuse board being in the middle of the house.

That's the first quote I've gotten.

That seems excessive. Get a few more quotes.

I have the distribution board on the middle floor in a three-storey. Even then, labour and materials were around 250 each and that was one hell of a job phishing between floors and rooms to get outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

unkel wrote: »
    Insanity...

It goes without saying I won't be going with that particular company.

• Advertisement

I got it down to about 1250 before grant for a tethered zappi V2 and a fairly straightforward install, so going with that.

Advertisement