Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options
1273274275276277279»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Best of luck with the car!

1. 22KW chargers is for 3 phase power, the vast vast majority of houses only have single phase. So 7KW is probably all you can get

2. Tethered is generally considered a lot more convenient, You just hop out of the car, grab the cable and plug it in. Untethered would involve un-furling the cable out of the boot and then plugging it in, and the reverse when finished. Definitely a pain in the arse when raining! I have a tethered charger at home and there are unthetered ones at work, the tethered is a lot less hassle.

But Untethered has some advantages. It removes the cable from the equation when not in use. so it might be useful if your tight for space or the cable would otherwise be in the way. Also aesthetically Untethered is nicer, like that post one in the pic @Gumbo shared a few posts up looks fantastic, definitely wouldn't look as nice with 3Meters of cable hanging off it.

There is also an potential advantage of being able to use older type cars with it like the old style Nissan leaf as they use a Type 1 charging cable (Basically all other cars use Type 2), unless you plan to buy one of these cars its probably an advantage that will never be realised

• Subscribers Posts: 32,854 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure 7kW will be fine anyway, I have no specific need for much faster charging at home, just wanted to see the reasoning behind it.

@josip no, won't need permission, we own the actual parking spaces, just for our row of houses there is a path in between them and the door (and some other rows of houses there aren't). A few other neighbours have pillars installed in recent years.

Untethered seems to be what others have got here too when they have the pillars, so probably best to fit in what that, although everyone has a different brand installed of the ones that have them, so no uniform look here.

Wasn't quite a spur of the moment purchase, although I did jump quicker than intended due to a couple of factors, so will probably have to do without a home charger for a little while. I'm sure I'll cope.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,854 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Another quick one, prompted by a conversation with one install company.

My house as said, has no drive way, but has owner owned parking spaces across a footpath, starting approx 3m from the house itself. Neighbours have pillar chargers installed, and I will ask them specifically, but I want to see if anyone knows here too. It's an estate of houses (mostly semi detached, as ours is) with no through traffic, built 6-8 years ago.

One company said they will need permission from the council or management company (there isn't a management company, common areas passed to the council a few years back I think) before they could dig the footpath, and while they might be technically correct, is this generally the case, or is it something that no one would really care about in this instance, or we wouldn't actually need?

If it is just something this company asks for but others don't, I'll likely go for one of the others just, and as said I'll talk to neighbours later to ask. Some here presumably have had similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Best to ask the neighbours, because they went through the process already. They will have contacts of who installed theirs too. I wouldn’t look for permission if they didn’t have to. Forgiveness and all that.

Stay Free

Advertisement