Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

I would highly doubt the Version 3 Tesla charger will be available to purchase before June.

The word on the street is they'll not release it here until all version 2 stock has been sold.

Yup, I agree, that's why I'm wondering if I could get the commando socket installed and use the grant for the installation? Can wait any time then for the Gen3 to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I believe part of the grant application process is you send them a photo of teh installed charge unit.

Thanks,
    I think i worded my question wrong.
    Are both these the same point (one tethered one untethered ).
    The type 2 is throwing me off.

I like the idea of tethered,any real reason not too?
    What "type/style" will my new leaf have?
    Sorry I'm very new to this :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

dec2000 wrote: »
    Yup, I agree, that's why I'm wondering if I could get the commando socket installed and use the grant for the installation? Can wait any time then for the Gen3 to be released.

I don't think you would be able to get the grant for the 32a commando socket.

But the install to switch it over to a charger would be very quick and easy. And then you can get it signed off on for the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks,
    I think i worded my question wrong.
    Are both these the same point (one tethered one untethered ).
    The type 2 is throwing me off.

I like the idea of tethered,any real reason not too?
    What "type/style" will my new leaf have?
    Sorry I'm very new to this :D

Yeah, they're the same except for one has the lead attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am also going for a tethered charge point, probably the Zappi2.

Two questions.

1. Is the unit live when not being used for charging? Or like public charge points only go live when plugged in.

2. Any reports of units being stolen? They aren't exactly cheap and look easy enough to be yanked off a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I believe part of the grant application process is you send them a photo of teh installed charge unit.

Yes, you have to send them a photo of the car with the license plate visible and a photo of the installed charger.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    hi folks have been reading through the thread, all very interesting!

my house is a new build (built in the last 3 years) so hoping this will be relatively straightforward.

whats the best charger to buy at the moment, ideally want something black. Also presume tethered makes more sense and finally, are most charges compatible with msot cars, i.e. if i was getting a model 3, or an EQC or an etron its all the same?

A cable needs to be run from your fuseboard to wherever your charger will be outside, so you can figure out how much work (i.e. drilling) that will be.

I have a Garo which has a load balancing add-on since we have a power shower. Cheaper chargers just use priority switches (on or off) whereas this one dynamically scales up and down the power going to the charger based on total load of the rest of the house. It's also black. So it depends on what high powered devices you already have in your house, or plan to get. If you've a new build you probably have a heat pump which isn't as much as a power shower but still substantial.

Check the connection type on the cars you're interested in first.

Alkers wrote: »
    Yeah, they're the same except for one has the lead attached.

Ah OK ,
    So type 2 isn't referring to a type of cable but zappis own type 2 !

Ah OK ,

Type 2 is now the most common plug/socket type in EV's today. I believe its a European standard.

Type 2 is also known as Mennekes (My Tesla Wall Connector is a Type 2)
    MENNEKES-Stecker-Typ2_334.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mp3guy wrote: »
    Yes, you have to send them a photo of the car with the license plate visible and a photo of the installed charger.

A cable needs to be run from your fuseboard to wherever your charger will be outside, so you can figure out how much work (i.e. drilling) that will be.

I have a Garo which has a load balancing add-on since we have a power shower. Cheaper chargers just use priority switches (on or off) whereas this one dynamically scales up and down the power going to the charger based on total load of the rest of the house. It's also black. So it depends on what high powered devices you already have in your house, or plan to get. If you've a new build you probably have a heat pump which isn't as much as a power shower but still substantial.

Check the connection type on the cars you're interested in first.

yeah we have a heatpump.

there are ducts out to the front of the house for some cabling so im hoping we can use those to take the electric cables out to there and install.

garo looks good, how much is the unit?

• Advertisement

yeah we have a heatpump.

there are ducts out to the front of the house for some cabling so im hoping we can use those to take the electric cables out to there and install.

garo looks good, how much is the unit?

Not as cheap as some of the other options;

Standard Charger (Socket only) 32 Amp 7kW @ €600
    Or Standard Charger (Fixed Cable 4.75m) 32 Amp 7kW @ €700
    kW Meter for Load Balancing @ €120
    Cable Holder @ €20
    Prices exclusive of Vat @ 23%

I'm also unaware if it functions with solar panels, if you're thinking of that. I believe the Zappi does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ah OK ,

They are just distinguishing between a type 2 tethered and a type 1 tethered.
    i.e. the plug at the end of the attached cable.

All untethered units are type 2 sockets so they dont need to distinguish that.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Not as cheap as some of the other options;

Standard Charger (Socket only) 32 Amp 7kW @ €600
    Or Standard Charger (Fixed Cable 4.75m) 32 Amp 7kW @ €700
    kW Meter for Load Balancing @ €120
    Cable Holder @ €20
    Prices exclusive of Vat @ 23%

I'm also unaware if it functions with solar panels, if you're thinking of that. I believe the Zappi does.

ok so a grand + installation

whats the best charger to buy at the moment, ideally want something black.

Very much depends on what you want.
    They will all charge your car!

The choice is down to things like...

- do you need load manmagement
    - do you care about the look of it
    - do you care about price
    - do you want Solar PV integration (now or in the future)
    - etc
    Also presume tethered makes more sense

It does. Only downside is that some people say they dont like the look of the cable. An untethered unit looks tidier because its just a small box on the wall whereas a tethered unit has a 5m cable hanging off it.

I'd prefer tethered all the way as getting your cable in/out of the car is a pain in the wet.
    and finally, are most charges compatible with msot cars, i.e. if i was getting a model 3, or an EQC or an etron its all the same?

The exception is older Nissan/Mitsubishi EV's. They use a type 1 cable. If you buy a tethered type 2 charge point it wont charge them but the new Leaf (2018+) has switched to type 2 and from this point forward all EV's will be type 2 so unless you want a relative with an old Leaf to charge at your gaff you should get a type 2 tethered charge point.

dec2000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you actually have to purchase a charger?

Yes, you do. As others said, they need a pic of it before they pay up so your idea wont work. A generic outdoor socket wont get grant approval.

If your approval runs out just cancel it and reapply and that will give you another 6 months to work with. You run the risk of them running out of money and not getting reapproved but its small money so I'd say it will be safe enough this year anyway.

eagerv wrote: »
    I am also going for a tethered charge point, probably the Zappi2.

Two questions.

1. Is the unit live when not being used for charging? Or like public charge points only go live when plugged in.

Not sure exactly what you mean by live. It is turned on 24/7 but the cable isnt live from the point of view of someone sticking their fingers into it.

eagerv wrote: »
    2. Any reports of units being stolen? They aren't exactly cheap and look easy enough to be yanked off a wall.

I havent heard of it. Not much value in robbing one to be honest. If you yank it off the wall it would likely crack. It would need to be unscrewed.

Anythings possible though.
    All you can do is try to keep it out of view and buy one that blends into your house colour and doesnt have bright flashing lights that scream "rob me".

KCross wrote: »
    Very much depends on what you want.
    They will all charge your car!

The choice is down to things like...

- do you need load manmagement
    - do you care about the look of it
    - do you care about price
    - do you want Solar PV integration (now or in the future)
    - etc

It does. Only downside is that some people say they dont like the look of the cable. An untethered unit looks tidier because its just a small box on the wall whereas a tethered unit has a 5m cable hanging off it.

I'd prefer tethered all the way as getting your cable in/out of the car is a pain in the wet.

The exception is older Nissan/Mitsubishi EV's. They use a type 1 cable. If you buy a tethered type 2 charge point it wont charge them but the new Leaf (2018+) has switched to type 2 and from this point forward all EV's will be type 2 so unless you want a relative with an old Leaf to charge at your gaff you should get a type 2 tethered charge point.

Yes, you do. As others said, they need a pic of it before they pay up so your idea wont work. A generic outdoor socket wont get grant approval.

If your approval runs out just cancel it and reapply and that will give you another 6 months to work with. You run the risk of them running out of money and not getting reapproved but its small money so I'd say it will be safe enough this year anyway.

thanks for this

i care about the look (id like it to be black at least)
    dont need solar panel compat
    not sure if i need load mgt, perhaps with a heat pump i do

take your point on the tethering, and thats good to know re the plug, its a type 2 i need.

if i go untethered i just use the cable that comes with the car when i buy it?

Here’s a picture of my recently installed Tesla (tethered) wall connector, I think it looks fine;

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a relay in the chargepoint that's only energized when the car's charger and the chargepoint have finished their little handshaking ritual after both ends are plugged in. If you listen carefully you can near it click a second or two after connecting up. So, no, neither the socket on an untethered chargepoint or the plug on the end of a tethered unit's cable is live when not connected to the car.

The chargepoints themselves are secured fairly well to the wall from inside the housing so it'd be a bit of a pain yanking them off, plus the 32A SWA cable is pretty unwieldy stuff and would require someone brave enough to cut through a live cable with a pair of bolt cutters or something. I'd be more worried about people chopping the cable off a tethered unit just for the copper in it.

i care about the look (id like it to be black at least)
    dont need solar panel compat

I think the EO range come in black.
    https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-smart-home

I dont have one but I know some on the forum do and I think its reasonably priced.

Some of the other premium charge points have black options too
    https://andersen-ev.com

Eye watering price though.

not sure if i need load mgt, perhaps with a heat pump i do

Do you know if you have a 12kVA or 16kVA ESB connection? You probably have the 16kVA connection since you have a heat pump. Check.

If you have the 16kVA connection you probably wont need load management assuming you dont have any other high power devices like electric showers.

if i go untethered i just use the cable that comes with the car when i buy it?

Yes, but you also need that cable for public AC charging so its better, imo, to leave that cable in the car so that you dont forget to bring it with you.

Just use a tethered charge point at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think the EO range come in black.
    https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-smart-home

I dont have one but I know some on the forum do and I think its reasonably priced.
    I have the bog standard "dumb" EO Mini (untethered) in white. Got mine from ecarinfra.ie. Found them very good and responsive, and the installer was very thorough and tidy. Cost me €50 more than the standard €349 as I had a longer, and more awkward, cable run, and also needed an extension to my consumer unit (fuse box) as the other one was full and there wasn't room for the new RCBO. The tethered version is more expensive, not sure how much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm very happy with the EO Mini - I mean, it has essentially the exact same feature set as most other untethered chargers, but it has a very discreet and minimal design that compares well with some of the OTT designs most chargers seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

whats the best charger to buy at the moment, ideally want something black?

The answer to this is (usually) the tethered Zappi V2 in black. It is probably the most feature-packed wall charger (no need for extra hardware if your house has an electric shower, can charge from solar roof if you get one in future, comes in black, has an app for setting timers if you get the add-on hub etc).

They are hard to get through the manufacturer (3 month delay I think) but for example Darkin Electrical have them in stock for their own installations, which have a delay of around a week or so once you have grant approval.

The Zappi V2 retails around 880 euro mark, Darkin will install them including Zappi V2 for around 1400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

KN installed the circontrol enext earlier on behalf of Electric Ireland. It was a straightforward install with the charger going on the other side of the fuseboard pretty much. The guy who installed it was sound and did a very neat and clean job though, highly recommended. I'd heard bad things about KN and feared the worst when they started pushing the date out but in the end they were great to deal with. The only thing I will say is that the enext is a big unit. We have it on the sidewall but you probably wouldn't want it on the front of your house.

Anyone know if you can switch to Night Saver with the new Smart Metres?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can switch to Night Saver with the new Smart Metres?

Yes, the whole point of smart meters is that you can switch to night saver rate without needing your mrmeter replaced.

Yes, the whole point of smart meters is that you can switch to night saver rate without needing your mrmeter replaced.

I thought that might be a benefit, but I can't find mention of it basically anywhere online

You’d think that alright, however I was told I’d have to go on the 24hr rate if I got the smart meter and that was only a few months ago I was told that by Energia.

It seems the backend systems for the new smart meters don’t support day/night rate yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Here’s a picture of my recently installed Tesla (tethered) wall connector, I think it looks fine;

Were you not a little upset they fitted it the wrong way up?

:D

You’d think that alright, however I was told I’d have to go on the 24hr rate if I got the smart meter and that was only a few months ago I was told that by Energia.

It seems the backend systems for the new smart meters don’t support day/night rate yet.

Bord gais told me yesterday that they do:confused:

Anyone using night rate?
    my day rate would go up 20% but my night would be 40% cheaper than my current rate.
    16c is my current 24hour would be 19c day and 9.5c night approx

• Advertisement

Bord gais told me yesterday that they do:confused:

Anyone using night rate?
    my day rate would go up 20% but my night would be 40% cheaper than my current rate.
    16c is my current 24hour would be 19c day and 9.5c night approx

I did the math, even if you only charge your EV once a week and run nothing else during the night it's cheaper to go day/night.

Advertisement