Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gael23 wrote: »
    That does look really well.
    Are there only certain ones that you can program to come on late at night when the night rate electricity kicks in

Most EV's manage that from the car end quite easily

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The charger is always on.
    You set the timers in the car for when you want the car to start taking charge.

For example, I’ve mine set to 2am, so if the charger is plugged into the car, at 2 am it will start drawing charge from the charge unit until it reaches the preset limit (for me it’s 70%).

Here’s my charge unit installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looks really sharp and reasonably priced too. How much did it cost to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Here’s my charge unit installed.

Pity they installed it sideways - it would have looked batter installed vertically :D.

Looks really sharp and reasonably priced too. How much did it cost to install?

I got Powerwise to install it, came to about €450 I think for the install.

10 weeks later I’m still waiting on the call back from Nigel Daly!! (Despite being promised by the secretary as well as Nigel himself they’d be back to be with an install date within 2 hours). I don’t think they are interested in installing if they didn’t supply the charger themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Looks really sharp and reasonably priced too.

oHx2FEM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

n97 mini wrote: »
    I think that poster might have referring to a non-tethered charger with a short cable plugged in, and swapping it for a longer cable. That's a 3 second job. OTOH, changing a short tethered cable for a longer one is a completely different job and depends on your ability and confidence (and tools) with working with that kind of stuff. I've done it myself a few times, and it's not for the faint-hearted. It's also quite difficult to do it in a cost effective way. It can be done, but it takes patience.

EDIT: While a regular electrician would have the confidence to do it, they won't have some of the parts to hand. They'd have to be ordered in. Once everything is taken into account it's probably more cost effective just to change the charger to untethered and get a long cable.

Thanks, I though this might be the case. will leave as is for now and make sure the wife doesn't forget and park in "my" spot in driveway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

If the SEAI grant expires, can you apply again does anyone know?

I couldn't put up with the sloppy paint on that conduit !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I couldn't put up with the sloppy paint on that conduit !
    A guy around the corner from me had a chargepoint installed on the front wall of his house recently. The installer used white cable, and then attempted to paint it with two different colours to match the brick and the mortar colours, but it looks awful. Looks like some weird species of tropical snake climbing up the wall.

Mine is mounted on the side wall which is rendered and painted the usual cream colour, so when I can get hold of some paint, I can just paint over the black SWA cable and it should blend in well.

I'm not sure what the best option is for brick walls, but personally I'd prefer black cabling than a poor attempt at camouflage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

digiman wrote: »

I think the advice is to withdraw the application and reapply when you think you'll be able to put it in.

Regarding the paint on the conduit I think I'd just prefer to leave it white than trying to paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Has anyone used Alumina EVC for their charger install? They seemed to be the only ones who could fit a new distribution box to the side of my house (new build)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

steves2 wrote: »
    Has anyone used Alumina EVC for their charger install?

Dont know anything about them.
    They seemed to be the only ones who could fit a new distribution box to the side of my house (new build)

Any registered electrician can do it, if you tell them thats what you want.

digiman wrote: »

Yes

Has anyone used Alumina EVC for their charger install? They seemed to be the only ones who could fit a new distribution box to the side of my house (new build)

I dont know what that means.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I'm also interested in this. Would that mean not having to drill through the entire ground floor to reach the consumer unit in the middle of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

xboxdad wrote: »
    I'm also interested in this. Would that mean not having to drill through the entire ground floor to reach the consumer unit in the middle of it?

Well that's what they've said they can do, no drilling or cables from consumer unit, just a mini distribution box beside the meter.

Well that's what they've said they can do, no drilling or cables from consumer unit, just a mini distribution box beside the meter.

That'd be awesome. I know about 3 people in our estate who all wanted to avoid having to wire it into the consumer unit, but they all had to give in..
    Can you let us know how it went if you choose to get that installer do it for you?

As I said, any electrician can do it.

It does save running additional internal cables but just means you have an extra box on the outside wall. Up to you whether thats acceptable from an aestethic point of view.

So, the main cable from the meter box to your consumer unit in your house is shifted over to the new consumer unit and a new cable used to connect the meter to the new consumer unit.

Your house and charge point are then fed off the new consumer unit with the existing internal cable used to continue to feed the house. Hope that makes sense.

A few people on the forum have done that already and posted pics of it, if you search this thread for it.

Nigel daly did something simliar for me. installed a new fuse board and made the existing one a secondary fuse board.... or something along those lines! all work was outside anyway as I wanted to avoid the routing through the house.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    As I said, any electrician can do it.

It does save running additional internal cables but just means you have an extra box on the outside wall. Up to you whether thats acceptable from an aestethic point of view.

So, the main cable from the meter box to your consumer unit in your house is shifted over to the new consumer unit and a new cable used to connect the meter to the new consumer unit.

Your house and charge point are then fed off the new consumer unit with the existing internal cable used to continue to feed the house. Hope that makes sense.

A few people on the forum have done that already and posted pics of it, if you search this thread for it.

This is exactly what I got... in proper language!

I painted it myself, and the sloppy paint doesn’t bother me in the slightest. From the end of the garden it’s hardly noticeable, and these pics were taken when the paint was still drying. It’s had a few weeks of weathering now and looks fine.
    (This pic was also taken when still drying)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

KCross wrote: »
    Yes

Are you sure about that? As another poster said, I think you need to cancel the application before it expires and submit a new application when you're ready.

_dof_ wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? As another poster said, I think you need to cancel the application before it expires and submit a new application when you're ready.

I am. The question was “can you reapply if it expires”.

As long as you don’t draw the grant there is no problem with applying again and resetting the 6 month clock... with the caveat that you still can’t start any work until you get the new approval letter of course.

If your existing application has not expired you have to cancel that first before reapplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I painted it myself, and the sloppy paint doesn’t bother me in the slightest. From the end of the garden it’s hardly noticeable, and these pics were taken when the paint was still drying. It’s had a few weeks of weathering now and looks fine.
    (This pic was also taken when still drying)

Do you have a Tesla car or just their charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eoferrall wrote: »
    Nigel daly did something simliar for me. installed a new fuse board and made the existing one a secondary fuse board.... or something along those lines! all work was outside anyway as I wanted to avoid the routing through the house.

do you need a lot of space to do that, sounds like an ideal scenario

Do you have a Tesla car or just their charger?

I also have a Tesla

Model 3 SR+

Cyrus wrote: »
    do you need a lot of space to do that, sounds like an ideal scenario

no, all it was is another of the boxes right beside the existing box that the ESB meter is in. they cut out part of the wall to fit it into. i'll try remember to take a picture tomorrow.

Hello everyone,

Do you already have to have the car in order to get the charger installed & grant applied for?
    We're waiting for the 5k purchase grant to go through ATM (will take 3 weeks approx) and would like to utilize the time to get the charger sorted.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

xboxdad wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Do you already have to have the car in order to get the charger installed & grant applied for?
    We're waiting for the 5k purchase grant to go through ATM (will take 3 weeks approx) and would like to utilize the time to get the charger sorted.

Thank you.

I mentioned this before, but once the dealer has received the SEAI application number, you can get this off them and apply for the home charger grant. I did this with BMW last year.

Advertisement