Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I already got a home charger in 2017 when I bought an Ioniq. Now I'm eligible for the home grant with the eNiro. But can I avail of it given I got one before?

Not unless you've moved house since. One grant per MPRN. That includes availing of the free point they offered before the current grant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cyrus wrote: »
    lads what if anything are people tipping the installer ?

Most of used local tradesmen so no need for a tip of any sort.
    Keeping business local and with small local firms.

I already got a home charger in 2017 when I bought an Ioniq. Now I'm eligible for the home grant with the eNiro. But can I avail of it given I got one before?

For the cops in the forum, please look away......

Do a change of address to your parents house.
    Apply for grant in your parents house.
    Get it installed.
    Change of address back to your own house.
    Now your parents have a subsidized charger for you to use when there and makes their house more appealing if selling :)

Cops, come on back in now....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

JohnC. wrote: »
    Not unless you've moved house since. One grant per MPRN. That includes availing of the free point they offered before the current grant.

How long do I have to claim the grant?

Can I put the charger elsewhere?

How long do I have to claim the grant?

Can I put the charger elsewhere?

Electrician has to fit it and secure it to the property where the MPRN is concerned.
    You have to submit photos of the installed charger to SEAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gumbo wrote: »
    Most of used local tradesmen so no need for a tip of any sort.
    Keeping business local and with small local firms.

I would have but my normal.sparks quoted me about 600 quid more than electric Ireland !

I would have but my normal.sparks quoted me about 600 quid more than electric Ireland !

When is he fitting?
    It’s a weird one as he could probably get into trouble for accepting the “tip”. He is contracted by a semi state company so it could go against the code of ethics etc

I know I can’t even accept a bottle of wine at Christmas from my “clients” as all it takes is one for me to loose my job.

Suss him out on the day. Offer him all the tea he needs and see if you get a vibe from him that €20 for a bottle of Prosecco for his other half won’t go astray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gumbo wrote: »
    When is he fitting?
    It’s a weird one as he could probably get into trouble for accepting the “tip”. He is contracted by a semi state company so it could go against the code of ethics etc

I know I can’t even accept a bottle of wine at Christmas from my “clients” as all it takes is one for me to loose my job.

Suss him out on the day. Offer him all the tea he needs and see if you get a vibe from him that €20 for a bottle of Prosecco for his other half won’t go astray :)

Cool thanks makes sense, normally if I have someone around the house doing something and they do a good job I like to give them something

I'll see how he goes !

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Looking at getting the EO Mini Pro - but it's ~ €300 more than the regular EO Mini. Is that right? Is it really worth the extra money? I have a BMW phev so I can control most of the charging directly from the car's app

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

can anyone recommend a reliable home chargepoint company in Meath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Only getting 4.4kw charge rate on a zappi 2 into a leaf 2017 acenta? Any suggestions thought I would get up to 6kw. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Also looking for a charge-point install in Meath, have priced with several suppliers and prices I have gotten range from €1100 to €1400, although a couple have quoted me for just the unit and get a local if I want which could work out cheaper. But at this stage I'd like to know if anyone has gotten the Electric Ireland offer, as the price is OK 1100, and the MO mini pro looks OK, BUT should I pay the extra for a Zappi (I dont have solar PV):confused::confused: (NB I do need load balancing, power shower)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gargled wrote: »
    Looking at getting the EO Mini Pro - but it's ~ €300 more than the regular EO Mini. Is that right? Is it really worth the extra money? I have a BMW phev so I can control most of the charging directly from the car's app

If your BMW has access to the same BMW Connected app as my i3, then the extra money for the EO Mini would not be worth it at all, as you can do it all from the app as you say.

bootser wrote: »
    Also looking for a charge-point install in Meath, have priced with several suppliers and prices I have gotten range from €1100 to €1400, although a couple have quoted me for just the unit and get a local if I want which could work out cheaper. But at this stage I'd like to know if anyone has gotten the Electric Ireland offer, as the price is OK 1100, and the MO mini pro looks OK, BUT should I pay the extra for a Zappi (I dont have solar PV):confused::confused: (NB I do need load balancing, power shower)

If you get an EO Mini, there's a device called EO ALM that should also be installed to do load balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Only getting 4.4kw charge rate on a zappi 2 into a leaf 2017 acenta? Any suggestions thought I would get up to 6kw. Thanks

Presume you have checked the output from the Zappi, there are various adjustable levels?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, how long does it normally take to get the offer letter back for the grant (not the payment itself, I know that takes a long time).

Dealer is trying to say it takes 2-3 weeks but thought that online, the offer letter was a lot faster to come out.

Wondering if he's trying to get us to go through him so we get the charger and install from their supplier (instead of us being able to source it and the install ourselves).

All I need is a couple of reference numbers for the online application!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lads, how long does it normally take to get the offer letter back for the grant (not the payment itself, I know that takes a long time).

Dealer is trying to say it takes 2-3 weeks but thought that online, the offer letter was a lot faster to come out.

Wondering if he's trying to get us to go through him so we get the charger and install from their supplier (instead of us being able to source it and the install ourselves).

All I need is a couple of reference numbers for the online application!

I got mine about 3 days after applying.

You can apply without the car SEAI application number, it just means sending them your logbook when you do get the car.

I got mine about 3 days after applying.

You can apply without the car SEAI application number, it just means sending them your logbook when you do get the car.

Thanks, can I please just double check that you can apply before sorting out who is supplying and installing?

Apply now, then once you have offer letter get it installed and get the paperwork filled out to claim the €600.

Thanks, can I please just double check that you can apply before sorting out who is supplying and installing?

Apply now, then once you have offer letter get it installed and get the paperwork filled out to claim the €600.

Yes, Absolutely.

I bought my charger direct from Tesla, then applied for the grant, then went looking for an installer.

You just need the grant offer in hand before any work is done on the installation.

Yes, Absolutely.

I bought my charger direct from Tesla, then applied for the grant, then went looking for an installer.

You just need the grant offer in hand before any work is done on the installation.

Cheers.

**** the dealer wanting to do it through him, he no doubt makes a bit on the 'referral' - applied online now, won't start any work before the offer letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

Yes, Absolutely.

did exactly the same got the offer letter and then had it installed - just a slight hiccup waiting for my vrt to come through and then sit back and wait for the cheque to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

just called energia

looks like a no brainer the increased day rate isnt much higher than the current but the night rate is half :)
    So did you install the nightsaver meter? had a look at my Efergy meter and did a spreadsheet to calculate the difference between std and nightsaver rates for the year to date and it works out cheaper by between €5 and €6 per month, less the €10 extra std charge per bill, meaning its the same price with no cost to install!!:) Now just wondering whats involved in the change? I have an old type mechanical meter, do they install a smart meter or a second meter with a timer switch? Is there any benefit to schedule the charger unit install at the same time or anything like that? TIA

bootser wrote: »
    Now just wondering whats involved in the change? I have an old type mechanical meter, do they install a smart meter or a second meter with a timer switch? Is there any benefit to schedule the charger unit install at the same time or anything like that? TIA

ESB Networks come and remove the mechanical meter, and replace it with a day/night meter.

The guy that did mine back in February said he'd most likely be back in a few years to replace the day/night meter with a smart meter, which he said would eventually be rolled out nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

i'm now looking to get a homecharger installed. its for a PHEV (330e) .. but I'm somewhat lost with what I should be looking for and from who.

I'm not overly concerned with the smart features of the charger itself as from what I can see most of this is handled by the BMW app on the phone and as it's a hybrid it's just a case of getting juice in to it when it's parked up.

My consumer box is at the side of the house about 10 meters from the end of the driveway and i'm not overly concerned with how it looks at that wall is facing a large hedge and not visable unless your at the side of the house.

Does tethered or untethered make much of a difference ?

I have tried to contact a few places but I can't seem to get an answer or response to emails / web queries - the only response I've gotten is from ESB.

I have the grant offer from SEAI so am ready to rock - if only I can find a rock !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

ESB Networks come and remove the mechanical meter, and replace it with a day/night meter.

The guy that did mine back in February said he'd most likely be back in a few years to replace the day/night meter with a smart meter, which he said would eventually be rolled out nationwide.

We are still waiting for ESB to install meter, they aren't doing any non essential home work atm.

I've had an ESB Smart meter installed, and just switched energy providers. So I asked ESB about Night saver rates with the smart meter and here was the utterly useless response:
    From 2021 electricity supply companies will begin to offer new smart products and services which will enable customers to shift some of their consumption to times of the day when electricity is cheaper. Over time the new smart meter will also eliminate the need for estimated bills. However you can request a day/night meter to be installed until then. Your supplier can log an order with us to request this. Hope this helps.

Has anyone with a smart meter had a different experience?

eagerv wrote: »
    We are still waiting for ESB to install meter, they aren't doing any non essential home work atm.

When I requested it from Electric Ireland, I was told I'd be contacted by ESB Networks to arrange an installation date.

Next I heard was a knock on the door about a week later from the Networks guy who installed it there and then. (bear in mind this was pre lockdown).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

MJohnston wrote: »
    I've had an ESB Smart meter installed, and just switched energy providers. So I asked ESB about Night saver rates with the smart meter and here was the utterly useless response:

Has anyone with a smart meter had a different experience?

I recently had a smart meter installed (my mech meter had condensation so they replaced it) . I'm with iberdrola, and had a chat with someone in there about day/night . They said I need to have the smart meter removed and a day/night installed. They advised against it as I wouldn't get a smart meter again until they officially roll out my area .

They expect smart meters to be activated in early Q1 next year, thats the current schedule and could then offer day/night and other tarriffs.

so i'm going to hang on to the smart meter I think. Currently to install day/night meter is free, but to revert from day/night is charged. i don't know what that looks like going from day/night to smart (if there is a charge)

I recently had a smart meter installed (my mech meter had condensation so they replaced it) . I'm with iberdrola, and had a chat with someone in there about day/night . They said I need to have the smart meter removed and a day/night installed. They advised against it as I wouldn't get a smart meter again until they officially roll out my area .

They expect smart meters to be activated in early Q1 next year, thats the current schedule and could then offer day/night and other tarriffs.

so i'm going to hang on to the smart meter I think. Currently to install day/night meter is free, but to revert from day/night is charged. i don't know what that looks like going from day/night to smart (if there is a charge)

Yeah our area has already been all done with smart installs, so I'd undoubtedly have to pay the €200 to get one back if I switched to day/night in the meantime.

Such a silly situation, the equipment is already installed, now we're just at the mercy of the incredibly slow cogs of ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Energia are similar in that they are initially only offering smart meters if you go with a 24hr tariff. Wouldnt give it to me otherwise and I wasnt switching back to 24hr tariff so I stuck with my day/night meter.

Advertisement