Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

I'm going to try and find someone to install a Zappi based on what I'm hearing here on boards it's worth it even without a solar right now.

None of the other chargers seem to have this load balancing so paying a bit more is worth it. An extra priority switch install seems to be a good €100. Can anyone recommend any Zappi installers?

Any competent electrician should be able to install this, there’s no magic needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I bought last November so not eligible for a grant so looking to get one installed as cheap as possible.

If one was to buy all the materials for the install and just ask a sparks to install what would I need?
    The distance from my fuse board is approx 20ft and there is no electric shower to contend with.

1. Zappi
    2. 20ft 6mm2 cable?
    3. ???

What else?
    Would a sparks not have all the required cabling / trunking etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

optimal wrote: »
    Any competent electrician should be able to install this, there’s no magic needed.

I think any electrician around here is going to look at me like an alien if I tell them I need a Zappi and I need it to not require a priority switch, and I need to stick it at the other side of the house :pac:

Will ring around the local ones tomorrow though but it does sound like a lot less hassle to find someone that just knows what they are doing.

I think even electricians who have never installed one have the misconception that it's more complicated than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

None of the other chargers seem to have this load balancing so paying a bit more is worth it.

Evbox
    SmartEVSE
    OpenEVSE

There are probably others too. YMMV depending on requirements.

I've an OpenEVSE, which can be sent RAPI commands to adjust charge current.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

Hi all,

Possibly a silly question, but if I source a 2nd hand charger and parts (RCBO and wiring) for approx €300, and a sparks say charges €200 for final fitting and sign off, he’ll only bill me the €200 and that’s all my grant will cover, correct. Because if he was to bill me €500 to cover me for his labour (and my parts) he’d be liable for Tax on the €500, which he didn’t receive. What am I missing here? it seems if you’re eligible for the grant, sourcing parts yourself (second hand) makes no sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

deadduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

Possibly a silly question, but if I source a 2nd hand charger and parts (RCBO and wiring) for approx €300, and a sparks say charges €200 for final fitting and sign off, he’ll only bill me the €200 and that’s all my grant will cover, correct. Because if he was to bill me €500 to cover me for his labour (and my parts) he’d be liable for Tax on the €500, which he didn’t receive. What am I missing here? it seems if you’re eligible for the grant, sourcing parts yourself (second hand) makes no sense?

The application form has two separate fields for electrician charges and others iirc (might be components), so he can fill his charges and you the charger and parts in the other field, and both will be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

jarrieta wrote: »
    The application form has two separate fields for electrician charges and others iirc (might be components), so he can fill his charges and you the charger and parts in the other field, and both will be covered

Cool, thanks for the info and the speedy reply :)

deadduck wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the info and the speedy reply :)

Btw you should apply and receive the letter before doing anything, so do it as soon as you can for your peace of mind, then you will be able to see how the form looks like

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭denismc

Batesy wrote: »
    I bought last November so not eligible for a grant so looking to get one installed as cheap as possible.

If one was to buy all the materials for the install and just ask a sparks to install what would I need?
    The distance from my fuse board is approx 20ft and there is no electric shower to contend with.

1. Zappi
    2. 20ft 6mm2 cable?
    3. ???

What else?
    Would a sparks not have all the required cabling / trunking etc?

Even if you bought the charger last November you can avail of some the grant, just leave the charger out of the cost of materials, you can still use the grant to cover the labour and any materials the electrician uses.

Also you could just sell the charger for close to what you paid for it and buy a new one.

• Advertisement

denismc wrote: »
    Even if you bought the charger last November you can avail of some the grant, just leave the charger out of the cost of materials, you can still use the grant to cover the labour and any materials the electrician uses.

Also you could just sell the charger for close to what you paid for it and buy a new one.

I thought he was referring to the car, not only the charger

jarrieta wrote: »
    I thought he was referring to the car, not only the charger

If that's the case then he can fully avail of the grant for the charger, it doesn't matter when you buy your car, the charger is a totally separate grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If that's the case then he can fully avail of the grant for the charger, it doesn't matter when you buy your car, the charger is a totally separate grant.

Not sure if I'm picking you up correctly.
    SEAI wrote:
    Eligibility Criteria Applicant

Any private owner who buys an eligible EV in 2018 or later is eligible to apply for this grant.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm picking you up correctly.
    Oops, I am at work, so I don't have the paperwork in front of me, apologies!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

He could always "sell" it to the Mrs.

The €600 grant for 2nd hand purchases only came into effect from Jan 2018.
    I purchased my 2nd hand Leaf in Nov 2017 so just missed out.

Prior to that, the free charger was only for brand new EV purchases.

Unfortunely I'll have to foot the total bill for my home charger.

Anyone foresee any Black Friday deals on home charger units??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

No matter what deal you get on the charger itself...the Labour going to offset any savings...once you mention about the grant and signature, suddenly the installation price doubles.

Been asked to pay e200 just to finish a DIY charger install by the way of connecting the endpoints of the cable...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Sale on the Rolec Type 2 wallpod 16 or 32 amp
    https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/wall-mounted-chargers/products/wallpod-ev-commercialcharge-type-2-socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Trying to make sense of some posts above...
    Lets assume that owner have PV solar and a EV.
    Why go with a zappi unit so that to "detect" energy generation as the car will not be at home most of the time !?

I like charging the car whenever I want or as I need (I know preferable night time) but I don't see the point made about PVs.
    You will need a good size array to push 3kwh in to the car without diverting "involuntarily" in to home appliances .

I went with a JuiceBox Pro32 and get dual tariff on the electricity meter charges.
    Lots of automation built-in the charger and / or the car to deal with time versus charges, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

rolion wrote: »
    Why go with a zappi unit so that to "detect" energy generation as the car will not be at home most of the time !?

Some people have the EV at home while the sun is shining and it will suit them.

Some wont, but the Zappi is still worth the money as it has other important features that set it apart from other EVSE's... load limiting and load balancing primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

rolion wrote: »

I like charging the car whenever I want or as I need (I know preferable night time) but I don't see the point made about PVs.
    You will need a good size array to push 3kwh in to the car without diverting "involuntarily" in to home appliances .

I went with a JuiceBox Pro32 and get dual tariff on the electricity meter charges.
    Lots of automation built-in the charger and / or the car to deal with time versus charges, I think.
    Zappi plus solar plus a battery to store the excess solar during the day so you can charge when you get home.

Cost is expensive to put in a battery now, but give it time and it'll be financially beneficial.

It's about allowing you to make sure the car only uses solar if you have the time. It's a pretty nice feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

As it's a company car I'll be buying, can the company can buy solar panels and power wall to charge it?

The company office/registered address is where the car will be charged overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I recently bought a Zappi as it seemed to be a reasonable cost regardless of the features. As regards using PV panels, I need to do the sums but I think the break even will be a long time when compared to night rate electricity. I’m thinking 10 years+. I may wait and see if panel costs drop over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

KCross wrote: »
    Some people have the EV at home while the sun is shining and it will suit them.

Some wont, but the Zappi is still worth the money as it has other important features that set it apart from other EVSE's... load limiting and load balancing primarily.

That was my main thing along with me being a night worker so my home charging is on day rate mostly

Peatys wrote: »
    As it's a company car I'll be buying, can the company can buy solar panels and power wall to charge it?

The company office/registered address is where the car will be charged overnight.

There is a thing where the company can write off the cost of energy efficient products against corporation tax thus reducing the cost of installing car chargers, solar panels etc. by 12.5%.

The link below explains it pretty well.

https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/accelerated-capital-allowance/

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Peatys wrote: »

If it’s a company car and the company is buying the unit you could look at another option , it costs more than the Zappi though , it’s an Andersen A2 but the company will get the VAT off at point of sale ( , they are UK based )
    Has the load balancing and the solar option , app & three phase option if you can use it . Cable is tidied away too .Nice looking unit .
    I got one recently. I’ve zero connection with them btw , just adding another option to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi folks,

I'm awaiting delivery of my first EV, a second hand 2014 leaf. I've just gotten my grant approval letter from the SEAI, and I've arranged for a couple of local (SAFE registered) electricians to call to my house to provide a quote for a charger installation.

The dealer I am buying the car off sells Zappi charge points and will give me a 10% discount on the price (full price is 585 euro I believe).

Any thoughts on the best (and most economical) approach?

I understand the Zappi does fancy things with Solar power, but I live in Galway, and the way my house is oriented, I doubt I'll ever have and solar power source. Another factor is I was already thinking of getting an outdoor socket installed for Christmas lights, so I'm wondering if it would make sense to do both in one if possible?

So, really I'm looking for advice/recommendations on home chargers. I'd like to be future proof to a degree i.e. if I decided to buy the latest model leaf in a couple of years.

Apologies for the newbie nature of my question. I have read a number of threads on here, but I'm thrown by a lot of the jargon.

Thanks,

Ronan

• Advertisement

I'm getting a Zappi purely because of the load balancing and the fact that it negates the need for a priority switch. Not even considering solar right now. All chargers at that price are pretty future proofed, it just needs a Type 2 connection and a 32A feed. If there is a possibility you will have a second car and second charger then both Zappis will make sure they won't trip the fuse board.

You can update the software on the Zappi as well.

I would definitely get an outdoor socket installed at the same time, it's basically the same job.

Advertisement