Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »
    I'd urge you to go tethered. You will be using it thousands of times. Imagine having to get out your cable each and every time?

It connects inside your consumer unit (fuse box) in your house via a 40A RCBO. You will need 6mm2 triple core standard electrical cable or 10mm2 if your run of cable is more than 10m. Then some ducting and the charge point itself, that's all.
    imagine looking at a cable attached to the front or side of your house :eek::P

Cyrus wrote: »

I dont get this argument.
    Do you sit in your house worrying what the neighbours think or something ?
    Even if you go untethered it'll be connected when your home so you'll still have a cable hanging off your house when you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

Doesn't worry me or the missus who is the fussy type house-wise.
    (We have it on the side, not immediately visable). Would hate to have to get the cable out of car each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd urge you to go tethered. You will be using it thousands of times. Imagine having to get out your cable each and every time?

I was going to mount it beside the back door of the garage and leave the cable inside until I need it. Leave the car cable in the car. I don't think it's going to be a problem.

It connects inside your consumer unit (fuse box) in your house via a 40A RCBO. You will need 6mm2 triple core standard electrical cable or 10mm2 if your run of cable is more than 10m. Then some ducting and the charge point itself, that's all.

I'd planned to run the cable internally along the eve it's a straight run from the fuse box maybe 10 meters and then drop the cable down where it's being mounted.

• Advertisement

I was going to mount it beside the back door of the garage and leave the cable inside until I need it. Leave the car cable in the car. I don't think it's going to be a problem.

If you are going untethered(?) remember the VW comes with a Mode3 Type2 16A cable, which if I am correct will only allow half max speed home charging.

eagerv wrote: »
    If you are going untethered(?) remember the VW comes with a Mode3 Type2 16A cable, which if I am correct will only allow half max speed home charging.

Is that going to be a problem at a fast charger, are they supplying the wrong cable with the car?
    With the unthetered one the cable will be just inside the garage door so it's only a foot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Even if you go untethered it'll be connected when your home so you'll still have a cable hanging off your house when you are there.

everybody has their own view of what is better. Personally I prefer untethered. looks neater to me on the side of the house.

If you had an EO mini, sure the charge point would barely be noticeable on the side

Is that going to be a problem at a fast charger, are they supplying the wrong cable with the car?
    With the unthetered one the cable will be just inside the garage door so it's only a foot away.

No, they are tethered and are DC.

eagerv wrote: »
    No, they are tethered and are DC.

But it's the wrong cable for home, you'd be looking at 18hrs charge time with it, is that what your saying?

Anyone know if any of the electrical distributors like kellehers sell the EO.

• Advertisement

But it's the wrong cable for home, you'd be looking at 18hrs charge time with it, is that what your saying?

Anyone know if any of the electrical distributors like kellehers sell the EO.

I believe it's the wrong cable for home untethered charging. But this is all fairly new to us as well, I am sure other more knowledgeable EV owners can comment.
    Our Ioniq comes with a 32A type 2 cable which will draw the max from a home charge point, as will a tethered charge point cable.

who said anything about neighbours, its what i think, and i think it looks a bit like what made your finger brown :P just an opinion dont take it to heart.

ill charge my car once a week tops, over night, i can live with that.

to put it in context i paid a few hundred quid to get a black steel covering to go over my white plastic meter box outside so i accept im not the average punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My charge point was installed at the side of my house behind the rain pipe. Then the cable runs fairly discreetly through bushes in between my drive way and my neighbours one. So you can't really see any of this from the road

It literally take me less than 5 seconds from when I close the car door, until I have the car plugged in

Trust me, you can't beat having this convenience

My charge point was installed at the side of my house behind the rain pipe. Then the cable runs fairly discreetly through bushes in between my drive way and my neighbours one. So you can't really see any of this from the road

It literally take me less than 5 seconds from when I close the car door, until I have the car plugged in

Trust me, you can't beat having this convenience

ill have to live without it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dear god it'd be great if this argument didn't keep coming up. It's so simple. Here's my FAQ entry:

Get a tethered charger if:
    * You'll be charging very frequently and
    * Retrieving the cable from your car each time bothers you

Get an untethered charger if:
    * You generally want a tidier look to your house or
    * You don't mind retrieving the cable and plugging in each time (especially true if you don't charge that often)

The tethered options generally cost a little bit extra, so it's up to you which of the elements above is most important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Has anyone a shopping list for a self install and then just get the sparky to finish it off.
    What type of cabling do I need? What charging lead? I'm probably going to go with an unthetered EO mini.
    Do you need to wire it from the fue box inside the house is or is it from the meter box outside.
    Going to get the sparky in just to make sure I've enough power.

Cable needs to be run from distribution board to charge point location.
    If cable is "out of harm's way" you can go with 3x6 NYMJ. If its run at low level or in danger of being hit by something you would need to go with SWA. Also note that NYMJ is not UV rated so can't be ran unprotected on a wall that sits in direct sunlight. You can got for some 20mm pvc conduit to get past that if needed.
    You will not have sufficient volt drop over 10m to require going for 10square cable as suggested above.
    You'll need a 32A Type C RCBO and a 40A isolator too.
    If you are clipping the cable at any point you'll want a box of 14-20 TC clips.

Any REC you get to do the work will know all of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Evening,

I'm looking to install a charge point at our home and maybe it's just me but the quotes are extreme to say the least. €1500 ex vat for one and €1400 incl. vat the other so far. 10m of cable and a small fuse board plus the unit itself. Unteathered. Anyone have quoted similar prices?

Thanks.

Evening,

I'm looking to install a charge point at our home and maybe it's just me but the quotes are extreme to say the least. €1500 ex vat for one and €1400 incl. vat the other so far. 10m of cable and a small fuse board plus the unit itself. Unteathered. Anyone have quoted similar prices?

Thanks.

Just use electric Ireland

Evening,

Thanks.

Just use electric Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ill have to live without it :P

I probably would have said the same thing before I owned an EV ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Evening,

Thanks.

Would need more info about the install to be honest. Have you asked for split quotes to see how much they are charging for labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How many times a week do you expect you will be charging the car at home? That will decide whether its going to be a problem or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Evening,

Thanks.

Yep had quotes around that level....nuts

Went with Electric Ireland, untethered for €1099 incl VAT. No brainer.

So for 1099 incl vat electric Ireland are installed this which costs 1176 without installation

https://midsummer.ie/buy/eo/eominismarthome

In fairness that’s a good deal , the home hub is pretty big btw fine for me as it’s in a press beside the fuse board but you wouldn’t want it anywhere you can see it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So for 1099 incl vat electric Ireland are installed this which costs 1176 without installation

https://midsummer.ie/buy/eo/eominismarthome

In fairness that’s a good deal , the home hub is pretty big btw fine for me as it’s in a press beside the fuse board but you wouldn’t want it anywhere you can see it.

Aren't they installing the standard non smart one

500 odd euro for the charge point https://midsummer.ie/buy/eo/eo-mini

graememk wrote: »

Nope it’s the one I linked had it done today

And the prices are ex vat on that website

Nope it’s the one I linked had it done today
    Ohh interesting!! My bad, that's a good deal

What's the difference between that and the pro one or is it a pro one with a bit more integration?

Ohh interesting!! My bad, that's a good deal

What's the difference between that and the pro one or is it a pro one with a bit more integration?

Not that sure to be honest there’s an app where you can schedule charging , integrate with solar etc also the box does load balancing etc

• Advertisement

Not that sure to be honest there’s an app where you can schedule charging , integrate with solar etc also the box does load balancing etc

That gets around the need for priority switches etc suppose there is a CT clamp for monitoring house useage?

Advertisement