Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

graememk wrote: »
    Aren't they installing the standard non smart one

500 odd euro for the charge point https://midsummer.ie/buy/eo/eo-mini

They’re doing both, I just ordered today. There’s a 3-4 week wait on the smart one but the non-smart EO Mini is available without a wait. I think the EO Mini is €899.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

EO have 4 different models:

- EO Mini. This is the best one for most EV owners. It's their cheapest model, and it does the basics whilst being very cleanly designed. Install it with an EO ALM (active load management) if you have an electric shower.
    - EO Mini Pro. Buy this if you want to be able to control your charging from your smartphone AND your car doesn't already include that functionality (most do, which is why I think the EO Mini is best for most EV owners). You'll still need to install with an EO ALM if you have an electric shower. This model will generally cost a few hundred euro more than the EO Mini.
    - EO Smart Home. This is actually just a bundle package. It includes the regular EO Mini and an EO Home Hub (which is a separate device that is installed separately). The EO Home Hub allows for smartphone control, solar integration, and includes built-in load-balancing for those with electric showers. IMO this one is only necessary if you have or plan to have solar panels. This model will generally cost a few hundred more than the EO Mini Pro.
    - EO Basic. This one is basically for nobody here. It has the same level of functionality as the EO Mini, but it's packaged in an uglier shell. The reason this model exists is because it supports 11kW and 22kW charging, but I presume that requires a specific supply that homes generally can't provide? This model should cost the same as the EO Smart Home.

Now the question is which of these are Electric Ireland offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MJohnston wrote: »

- EO Mini. This is the best one for most EV owners. It's their cheapest model, and it does the basics whilst being very cleanly designed. Install it with an EO ALM (active load management) if you have an electric shower.
    - EO Mini Pro. Buy this if you want to be able to control your charging from your smartphone AND your car doesn't already include that functionality (most do, which is why I think the EO Mini is best for most EV owners). You'll still need to install with an EO ALM if you have an electric shower. This model will generally cost a few hundred euro more than the EO Mini.
    - EO Smart Home. This is actually just a bundle package. It includes the regular EO Mini and an EO Home Hub (which is a separate device that is installed separately). The EO Home Hub allows for smartphone control, solar integration, and includes built-in load-balancing for those with electric showers. IMO this one is only necessary if you have or plan to have solar panels. This model will generally cost a few hundred more than the EO Mini Pro.
    - EO Basic. This one is basically for nobody here. It has the same level of functionality as the EO Mini, but it's packaged in an uglier shell. The reason this model exists is because it supports 11kW and 22kW charging, but I presume that requires a specific supply that homes generally can't provide? This model should cost the same as the EO Smart Home.

pretty sure this is what i got

https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini-smart-home

and because if the hub you can control the charge times, integrate with solar etc

MJohnston wrote: »

EO say that you cannot use the ALM with the EO Mini Pro.
    Electric Ireland say they install the EO Mini, or the EO Mini Pro, both with load management using a separate unit. I think (hope!) Cyrus is correct and they actually install the EO Mini Smart Home, not the Mini Pro.

C@t wrote: »
    EO say that you cannot use the ALM with the EO Mini Pro.
    Electric Ireland say they install the EO Mini, or the EO Mini Pro, both with load management using a separate unit. I think (hope!) Cyrus is correct and they actually install the EO Mini Smart Home, not the Mini Pro.

thats deffo what i got and i didnt ask for anything out of the ordinary, makes sense as most people will need load mgt for one reason or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Well, I looked at the price of the mini pro plus the ALM unit and it's the same as the EOsmart so it probably makes better sense to supply the smart unit. I ordered a mini pro and it def looks like I got the smart unit, EO outside and hub mounted beside the fuseboard(by the way yes there is a CT installed in the fuseboard). The app is the EO app, not the juice box one so that also indicates it's the EOsmart.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am confused.....I've an install with Electric Ireland 14/7 and they told me and in the email it says we are getting the EO Mini Pro with load balancing.

A post above suggests they are not supplying the Pro, just the basic version?

Sounds like we get the same functionality as a pro wirh load balancing just set up differently and that they need to update their sales material (bizzare its not on the website and you have to email for it).

bootser wrote: »
    Well, I looked at the price of the mini pro plus the ALM unit and it's the same as the EOsmart so it probably makes better sense to supply the smart unit. I ordered a mini pro and it def looks like I got the smart unit, EO outside and hub mounted beside the fuseboard(by the way yes there is a CT installed in the fuseboard). The app is the EO app, not the juice box one so that also indicates it's the EOsmart.

Yes very same for me . So that’s what they mean when they say eo pro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Do Electric Ireland do a tethered model?
    Or only the EO mini untethered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

There seems to be a problem now for ID3 Pre-bookers.
    If you need to get a home charger installed the SEAI site does not have the ID3 listed. So until VW Ireland get the car onto the SEAI website, you cannot apply for the grant or get the charger installed.

• Advertisement

Do Electric Ireland do a tethered model?
    Or only the EO mini untethered?

They offer both tethered and untethered for the “smart”/pro version. €100 extra for tethered

C@t wrote: »
    They offer both tethered and untethered for the “smart”/pro version. €100 extra for tethered
    Excellent, I’m waiting on them to call me back, getting crazy quotes and was considering going the route of just buying a zappi and getting a sparks to install but this seems like an easier(less leg work) option

Excellent, I’m waiting on them to call me back, getting crazy quotes and was considering going the route of just buying a zappi and getting a sparks to install but this seems like an easier(less leg work) option

They seem very busy so chase them if they do not get back to you.

This is my install for anyone interested, KN OBO Electric Ireland, EO Smart home.

Smart hub beside the fuse board (and underneath the alarm gubbins)

8jtuHUL.jpg

View from the front of the house

UBlEG2B.jpg

Where the point is installed

upes4pW.jpg

and where they came out, this could do with a tidy up, any suggestions, i had hoped for it to be a little lower but that was as low as he could get.

hHcaK8Y.jpg

one of these would clean it up.
    https://www.electricalworld.com/en/ie/Zexum-Outdoor-Cable-Wall-Entry-Plate---Black/s-3218-6826.aspx?PartnerID=73&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Ireland&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4qm_k6Su6gIVQeztCh1jWgs2EAQYAiABEgL2U_D_BwE

I dont know if that one i linked to is the right size by the way.
    Stick it on with sticks all,tec7 etc

Tidy job otherwise,
    You could spray paint that isolator black too.

rx8 wrote: »
    There seems to be a problem now for ID3 Pre-bookers.
    If you need to get a home charger installed the SEAI site does not have the ID3 listed. So until VW Ireland get the car onto the SEAI website, you cannot apply for the grant or get the charger installed.

I cant imagine that the model matters.
    I'd stick down anything.

one of these would clean it up.
    https://www.electricalworld.com/en/ie/Zexum-Outdoor-Cable-Wall-Entry-Plate---Black/s-3218-6826.aspx?PartnerID=73&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Ireland&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4qm_k6Su6gIVQeztCh1jWgs2EAQYAiABEgL2U_D_BwE

I dont know if that one i linked to is the right size by the way.
    Stick it on with sticks all,tec7 etc

Tidy job otherwise,
    You could spray paint that isolator black too.

thanks, yes was thinking of one of them.

and had the same thought on the isolator but i agree, a very tidy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Cyrus wrote: »
    This is my install for anyone interested, KN OBO Electric Ireland, EO Smart home.

Smart hub beside the fuse board (and underneath the alarm gubbins)

Neat.

That hub thing is bigger than the chargepoint. What have they got inside that that it needs to be so big?

And those isolators are an eyesore. If it could be a different colour it wouldn’t be too bad. I wonder do they have to be the red/yellow ones. Could it be any form of an isolator switch? Something more discreet would be better.

Good work though.

KCross wrote: »
    Neat.

That hub thing is bigger than the chargepoint. What have they got inside that that it needs to be so big?

And those isolators are an eyesore. If it could be a different colour it wouldn’t be too bad. I wonder do they have to be the red/yellow ones. Could it be any form of an isolator switch? Something more discreet would be better.

Good work though.

id imagine kn are constrained as to that they can use but youd have thought something a little more discrete could do the same job, i might take a spray can to it at some stage.

yeah the hub is big, not really an issue for me given that its in a press, but the guy was saying a few people werent happy as it was out in the open and so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

id imagine kn are constrained as to that they can use but youd have thought something a little more discrete could do the same job, i might take a spray can to it at some stage.

yeah the hub is big, not really an issue for me given that its in a press, but the guy was saying a few people werent happy as it was out in the open and so big.

That's not a bad job at all, where is your fuseboard in relation to the charger? Mine is in the centre of the house and the straightest route would be through the kitchen/living room but I don't want conduit through the house if possible. Is it neat inside?

• Advertisement

McHonda wrote: »
    That's not a bad job at all, where is your fuseboard in relation to the charger? Mine is in the centre of the house and the straightest route would be through the kitchen/living room but I don't want conduit through the house if possible. Is it neat inside?

my fuseboard is on the opposite side of the room that backs onto that gable wall, i was able to get them to run the cable underneath utility room units and in behind the washing machine and out the wall behind so very neat inside but obviously depends on your set up.

i had to pay 125 extra as i needed armoured cable and more labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

my fuseboard is on the opposite side of the room that backs onto that gable wall, i was able to get them to run the cable underneath utility room units and in behind the washing machine and out the wall behind so very neat inside but obviously depends on your set up.

i had to pay 125 extra as i needed armoured cable and more labour.

Thanks, did they do a survey or anything beforehand to work out the extra cost? I will probably do something similar but will need around 20m of cable

McHonda wrote: »
    Thanks, did they do a survey or anything beforehand to work out the extra cost? I will probably do something similar but will need around 20m of cable

They don’t do surveys but when they came and I told them what I needed he said it would need to be priced and they would come back to me

So maybe specify with ei first might save you some time

They seem very busy so chase them if they do not get back to you.
    I filled out their contact me back chat bot thing about 3 times now and no reply, after about 3 calls to various numbers, I got this number
    Spoke which a guy who wanted to fob me off with an email but eventually took my details and now I'm on hold 20minutes

Update:
    Eventually spoke with someone in KN who said they can't take bookings at the moment as there is an issue with EV Chargers which she doesnt know what it is but they will call me back when they can take the booking

Aparently 3-4 days install time, but could be a couple of weeks before they can take the booking, she couldn't tell me exactly

Maybe go for a wallbox pulsar+ but it’s €1295 installed, but company can do next week
    Bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I filled out their contact me back chat bot thing about 3 times now and no reply, after about 3 calls to various numbers, I got this number
    Spoke which a guy who wanted to fob me off with an email but eventually took my details and now I'm on hold 20minutes

Update:
    Eventually spoke with someone in KN who said they can't take bookings at the moment as there is an issue with EV Chargers which she doesnt know what it is but they will call me back when they can take the booking

Aparently 3-4 days install time, but could be a couple of weeks before they can take the booking, she couldn't tell me exactly

Maybe go for a wallbox pulsar+ but it’s €1295 installed, but company can do next week
    Bit steep

Is there an issue with the EO chargers?

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is there an issue with the EO chargers?

She couldn't confirm what the issue was(Maybe only logistical), she just said there was an issue with their EV Chargers and none were even being scheduled to be installed for a few weeks although they could take my money and call me when they were taking bookings again, whenever that might be.

wallbox quote I have was from a different company

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had my EO Mini installed by ecarinfra, and was very pleased with them, and they came and did a survey first. A bit silly not to really IMO, they never know what they might find on the day of the installation that wasn't mentioned at the time of ordering, so just saves time and hassle all round.

She couldn't confirm what the issue was(Maybe only logistical), she just said there was an issue with their EV Chargers and none were even being scheduled to be installed for a few weeks although they could take my money and call me when they were taking bookings again, whenever that might be.

wallbox quote I have was from a different company

FFS, I booked about 2 weeks ago and earliest install date I could get is 14/7. They took payment that same day.

Anyone asked for a specific colour box? I asked for white as that's what the side of the house is....

FFS, I booked about 2 weeks ago and earliest install date I could get is 14/7. They took payment that same day.

Anyone asked for a specific colour box? I asked for white as that's what the side of the house is....

Told the kn lad I wanted black

• Advertisement

Told the kn lad I wanted black

Do you know if he had both black and white in the van like I say I ordered it but who knows whether that makes it to KN.

Advertisement