Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

FFS, I booked about 2 weeks ago and earliest install date I could get is 14/7. They took payment that same day.

Anyone asked for a specific colour box? I asked for white as that's what the side of the house is....
    Hopefully there is no delay for existing bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Do you know if he had both black and white in the van like I say I ordered it but who knows whether that makes it to KN.

Well he called when he was en route and I said do you have a black charger point and he had to check so it seemed like I was just lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Looks like EI and KN have bit off more than they can chew. I booked and paid last Friday and was told to expect phonecall at start of week for installation date. I might cancel and arrange it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Rather than read back over 48 pages, someone give me the lowdown please.

Bought my second hand i3 REx in 2018. Working on a solar installation and they're going to install a Zappi as part of the deal.

I understand that I need to apply for both the charger grant and the solar grant in advance, before work commences.

What is the craic with approval on the charger grant? Is it an automatic thing based on the VIN matching up or do I have to wait for someone to approve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What is the craic with approval on the charger grant? Is it an automatic thing based on the VIN matching up or do I have to wait for someone to approve it?

Fill out this online form, the approval letter will arrive in a couple days
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is there a minimum height that they can put the charger now? I live in a terraced house and was hoping to put the charger under a windowsill but photos I’ve seen have them a bit higher.

tk123 wrote: »
    Is there a minimum height that they can put the charger now? I live in a terraced house and was hoping to put the charger under a windowsill but photos I’ve seen have them a bit higher.

Yes I believe it’s 1.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

tk123 wrote: »

No. Once it's high enough that it wont be effected by flooding etc.

Certain installers might work to different rules but under a windowsill would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fill out this online form, the approval letter will arrive in a couple days
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Filled it out on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Solar approval came through immediately, once the charger grant is approved its full steam ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Valentina516

Hi I'm considering whether to get the EVbox Elvi installed versus the Wallbox Pulsar plus.. Any opinions on either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Valentina516

Switch to energia... They're cheaper. I recently did.
    I called electric Ireland to enquire could i still have a EV charger fitted even though I'm not their customer any longer and they said yes.
    Just on to electric Ireland, I've a 12kva supply, they couldn't give me a figure on how much to upgrade, I'm guessing it could be necessary.
    Also paying 16cent a KW on a 24hr rate said they couldn't do any cheaper bar going on night rate which is 18cent/8cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Got myself the EO mini a few weeks ago with GlenEV. Very impressed with the electrician (Frank) who came out. Did a survey in advance and took extra time to route it through the floorboards to get it over the hall. KN/ Electric Ireland told me there'd be no floorboards lifted and it would just go through the wall so made sense to pay the extra bit to get it properly done. Very happy with how neat the box is

Next thing I need to figure out is a smart meter for day/night!

jubTdpEl.jpg

Gargled wrote: »

pGAaiMI

your provider will arrange that for you :)

did you not have to get the isolator switch installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

pGAaiMI

Easy. I just rang electric Ireland and they put the request through to ESB. 2 days later the guy came and changed it in 10 mins.

Easy. I just rang electric Ireland and they out the request through to ESB. 2 days later the guy came and changed it in 10 mins.

With Energia, I'll give them a call and see. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

With Energia, I'll give them a call and see. Thanks!

You can't get Day/Night with a smart meter (yet). You'll need to get an analogue Day/Night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Got myself the EO mini a few weeks ago with GlenEV. Very impressed with the electrician (Frank) who came out. Did a survey in advance and took extra time to route it through the floorboards to get it over the hall. KN/ Electric Ireland told me there'd be no floorboards lifted and it would just go through the wall so made sense to pay the extra bit to get it properly done. Very happy with how neat the box is

jubTdpEl.jpg

No isolator fitted
    Could have fitted the outlet over where he burst the brickwork for a neater job(depending on height 400mm-1200mm)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will you silicone that hole before you get water egress (if not already done)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

slave1 wrote: »
    Will you silicone that hole before you get water egress (if not already done)

I personally would not be happy with job above.

Off centre
    Hole in wall not even below box
    cable not held to wall
    Poor sealing.

All above - so easy and cheap to fix.

Not to mention a very good guy would clean up too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I drilled all my holes and laid cable prior to installation, some easy stuff missed there, he should have drilled from the outside in at the mortar point, a slight angle up to protect against water egress, position the charge point higher up to allow tacking of the cable and have someone on the inside holding a large block of wood so that the drill would not burst any plaster, that leaves you with the minimum of "damage"...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Off centre
    cable not held to wall
    Poor sealing.

I have to agree with all of the above - seems a very poor job to me.
    I hope it at least was inexpensive :P.

Off centre
    cable not held to wall
    Poor sealing.

Not a lot of bend in that cable, presumed that's why it wasn't tighter. It's coming down the wall behind this and doing a sharp 180 degree turn to get it into the box. Will be sticking silicone into it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

MJohnston wrote: »
    You can't get Day/Night with a smart meter (yet). You'll need to get an analogue Day/Night meter.

So... The recent smart meter they installed at my house would be replaced by an old day/night meter?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So... The recent smart meter they installed at my house would be replaced by an old day/night meter?

Yeah, and then you'll have to pay money to get the smart meter put back in again when they launch day/night rates next year or whenever. It's a pain in the arse, because the smart meters are perfectly capable of doing day/night rates, but ESB or whoever just can't be arsed doing the back-end changes required yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

Our old analogue meter was replaced with the new digital day/night one(Not smart one).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I don't think so. I think they should be able to alter the new meter and update it with the necessary registers so it operates as a day/night meter.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, and then you'll have to pay money to get the smart meter put back in again when they launch day/night rates next year or whenever. It's a pain in the arse, because the smart meters are perfectly capable of doing day/night rates, but ESB or whoever just can't be arsed doing the back-end changes required yet.

Did you try to do this yourself? Thanks

Did you try to do this yourself? Thanks

Yeah, there's posts about it a few pages back, but here's what ESB Networks said:
    From 2021 electricity supply companies will begin to offer new smart products and services which will enable customers to shift some of their consumption to times of the day when electricity is cheaper. Over time the new smart meter will also eliminate the need for estimated bills. However you can request a day/night meter to be installed until then. Your supplier can log an order with us to request this. Hope this helps. Thanks

I think the logical thing to do might be to wait so and see what happens..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ESB do not have EO mini tethered smart.

To be honest dealing with the ESB is a nightmare. They do not know what they have themselves.

The deal seemed too good to be true - proved to be the case.

Anyone else match the ESB price - smart tethered.

Advertisement