Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Zappi is going in on Tuesday, yay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Filled in the Grant application Tuesday morning, offer letter arrived in the post yesterday

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Hi all,
    I am buying a ID.3 "soon" and looked into the VW Wallcharger which is coming at €815 incl Vat for the Charger Connect without install.
    I am buying through the company so the grant isnt a factor.

Is there a better unit out there? Is that price competitive?

Can we ask for recomendations for installer?

Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Ol’lad is looking to get a home charger. He’s looking at a Kia Nero PHEV, currently driving a Lexus nx300h. I’ll try to talk him around to getting a Full EV.

Anyway what charger do people recommend?

He sent me on a list from easygo who seem are trying to upsell him chargers that can go from 7-22 KW but only using 32Amp. Seem to be several cowboys selling chargers.

I’ve explained to him he’ll never get 3 phase. There’s a better likelihood of getting an increase MIC, are there higher amp chargers available ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

My installer also told me that SEAI would contact Electric Ireland for the details and that I didn’t need to fill in costs. However, I decided to write in the total anyway, just in case, and they haven’t queried it.
    They have, however, returned my documentation because “ Apparently the dealer hasn’t submitted the ‘Transaction Completion Form’......but I’ve just spoken to SEAI and if I send them a copy of my Vehicle Registration Cert it will suffice. He also confirmed that the rest of my application was fine, so there doesn’t seem to be an issue with the installation cost total on the form.

My paperwork got returned yesterday for two reasons, neither of which were because I didn't have the full breakdown of cost (I had just wrote in €1099).

First one was not including the registration cert, despite their own form saying that is only required for a second hand or imported car (I wrote ours was brand new and you would think the 202 reg in the photo would give it away!).

Secondly, the same as you "We have been unable to verify your new vehicle registration details”.

Smells like they just reject paperwork to slow down the processing time....

Wondering based on your call to them, will the reg cert kill both problems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

goob20s wrote: »
    Does any one know the labour and material costs for electric Ireland charger? Seai sent the application back because I forgot to fill it out

It makes no difference. Just put any price you want in there making sure the whole lot is above the grant.

You do not provide any invoices to SEAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi all,
    I am buying a ID.3 "soon" and looked into the VW Wallcharger which is coming at €815 incl Vat for the Charger Connect without install.
    I am buying through the company so the grant isnt a factor.

Is there a better unit out there? Is that price competitive?

No straight answer. A few things though...,

The VW wall charger is new, no real world reviews or reliability known about it yet.

“Better” is subjective. It depends on what you want from the charge point. Do you want things like app support, Solar integration, load balancing, load limiting etc.

The price for the wall box is high if all you want is a basic charge point to plug into but it’s on a par with other high end charge points so it all depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FaIIcon

Just bought a 2020 Zoe with the 52KW battery, is a 22KW charger affordable for home purchase? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

FaIIcon wrote: »
    Just bought a 2020 Zoe with the 52KW battery, is a 22KW charger affordable for home purchase? Any recommendations?

Not unless you have 3 phase power

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

FaIIcon wrote: »

you'll get a max of 7.2kWh from a home charger (unless you have 3 phase supply, which i'd be 99.99% sure you don't).

If you need to charge from 0 to 100% (which is very unlikely), a 7.2kWh will do this in about 7 hours.

At home I couldn't really see the benefit of reducing this to 2.5 hours, unless you spend very very little time at home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 FaIIcon

you'll get a max of 7.2kWh from a home charger (unless you have 3 phase supply, which i'd be 99.99% sure you don't).

If you need to charge from 0 to 100% (which is very unlikely), a 7.2kWh will do this in about 7 hours.

At home I couldn't really see the benefit of reducing this to 2.5 hours, unless you spend very very little time at home..

Fair enough. Thanks for the input. Yeah we don't have 3 phase!

Mod Note: Moved to home charger thread

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

ted1 wrote: »
    The Ol’lad is looking to get a home charger. He’s looking at a Kia Nero PHEV, currently driving a Lexus nx300h. I’ll try to talk him around to getting a Full EV.

Anyway what charger do people recommend?

He sent me on a list from easygo who seem are trying to upsell him chargers that can go from 7-22 KW but only using 32Amp. Seem to be several cowboys selling chargers.

I’ve explained to him he’ll never get 3 phase. There’s a better likelihood of getting an increase MIC, are there higher amp chargers available ?

This would prob have been answered quicker the in home charge point thread

The rate the car charges on ac is dependent on the charger in the car, and the Kia Niro phev charges at 3.6kw. (afaik)

The highest power on single phase is 32amp or 7ish kw

As for recommendations the one electric Ireland installs has now is the EO mini. But that's generally untethered.

Chargers come in tethered( where the cable is permanently attached to the charge point)
    And untethered, where the cable is removable but usually you have to use the cable that comes with the car or buy a second one.

The other well spoken for charge point is the zappi and is recommended especially if you have a solar installation, it has other smart features too, with the likes of load limiting etc, there is a version of the EO mini that does that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ClareGirl70

My paperwork got returned yesterday for two reasons, neither of which were because I didn't have the full breakdown of cost (I had just wrote in €1099).

First one was not including the registration cert, despite their own form saying that is only required for a second hand or imported car (I wrote ours was brand new and you would think the 202 reg in the photo would give it away!).

Secondly, the same as you "We have been unable to verify your new vehicle registration details”.

Smells like they just reject paperwork to slow down the processing time....

Wondering based on your call to them, will the reg cert kill both problems?

They’re the exact reasons I got. Apparently there’s a ‘Transaction Completion Form’ to be submitted by the dealer, which allows the SEAI to verify the vehicle details. The dealer has 4 months to submit this. I was told that submitting the registration Cert would solve the problem, which, by the way, I hadn’t originally submitted for the same reason as you.

What's a 5 year old Rolec worth these days? Getting my Zappi today so the trusty Rolec will be for sale.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What's a 5 year old Rolec worth these days? Getting my Zappi today so the trusty Rolec will be for sale.

The older ones have a bad rep. Hard to tell what its worth.

KCross wrote: »
    The older ones have a bad rep. Hard to tell what its worth.

Yeah mine was one of them. One of the parts failed and I got it replaced about 3 years back. Fine since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

Is anyone using the Wallbox Pulsar Plus? I have i recently installed and in general it's really good. I have a query on the scheduling.
    Say if I want to only charge at night rates (e.g. from 12.30 to 7am), but I charge sporadically on different days. How do I set this up? Currently I have 1 schedule for each day of the week starting at 12.30 and ending at 7am, but I keep getting a pop up message on my phone about scheduling cannot occur due to the car not being plugged in.

Do you have to manually create a schedule each time? I would like to just have it so that whenever I decide to plug the car in, it only charges at night rates, but on whatever day I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Barney224 wrote: »
    Is anyone using the Wallbox Pulsar Plus? I have i recently installed and in general it's really good. I have a query on the scheduling.
    Say if I want to only charge at night rates (e.g. from 12.30 to 7am), but I charge sporadically on different days. How do I set this up? Currently I have 1 schedule for each day of the week starting at 12.30 and ending at 7am, but I keep getting a pop up message on my phone about scheduling cannot occur due to the car not being plugged in.

Do you have to manually create a schedule each time? I would like to just have it so that whenever I decide to plug the car in, it only charges at night rates, but on whatever day I want.

So you want to have a schedule set on the charger but also have it charge when you plug it in sporadically?

Or am I taking you up wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

Felexicon wrote: »
    So you want to have a schedule set on the charger but also have it charge when you plug it in sporadically?

Or am I taking you up wrong

Yeah. Sorry, probably not explaining it well!

I just want to be able to plug the car in whenever I want, but for it to only charge during night rate hours. I know there's an option to override this (play button), but I don't want to keep getting pop up messages from the app when the car is not plugged in.

Hope that makes sense.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah mine was one of them. One of the parts failed and I got it replaced about 3 years back. Fine since then.

Same here. Had to replace the RCD in it.

As to what its worth, just throw it up and see what bites.... and drop the price until someone does.

€150-€200 would be a reasonable starting point I'd say for an older Rolec. Would be a free install for someone with the €600 grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

rx8 wrote: »
    PM Sent.

I'm in the exact same situation and in the same area so if you could copy and paste that PM to me also please ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Hooray, I got my 600 euros grant today, 12 weeks after applying.
    It must be one person working one hour a week processing the grants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ltd440 wrote: »

Did it just go in to your account or did you get a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Crazy process - so inefficient and bad for the environment - don't want emails - want to send everything back to you - and you keep posting all the way to Kerry.

Has to be paper work.

They should really have sustainable policy on this and make it all electronic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Crazy process - so inefficient and bad for the environment - don't want emails - want to send everything back to you - and you keep posting all the way to Kerry.

Has to be paper work.

They should really have sustainable policy on this and make it all electronic.

It's mad because some governments (like Revenue and the passport office) really have embraced technology and are very efficient....then there is this lot (worse than the residential tenancy board and their ****ty clunky website).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It must be one person workingone hour a week processing the grants

FYP

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Did it just go in to your account or did you get a letter?

I got an email on the same day.
    I spotted the money in my account hours before I saw the email

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thinking of getting an audi etron.

Dummies guide required re ev charging point installation.

Best charger?Zappi?

Difference between tethered and untethered?

32 Amperes offers a quicker charge?Presumption of a larger current flow.

Is the charging cable a standard length?

Any other important specifications?

Is there an app with all charger types and can the charger be locked via the app or physically?

Is there much in the way of house modifications required or simply some electrical cabling?

With my ignorance on the whole area of electric cars is it best I seek an Electric Ireland installer as opposed to attempting to source materials I know little about and sourcing a local REC?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thinking of getting an audi etron.

Dummies guide required re ev charging point installation.

Best charger?Zappi?

I prefer the eo mini smaller the better for me , do you have solar ?

Difference between tethered and untethered?

Cable attached permanently or use the one from the car

32 Amperes offers a quicker charge?Presumption of a larger current flow.

7.2kw per hour is max speed unless you have 3 phase power

Is the charging cable a standard length?

No, cable with etron is 5m though

Any other important specifications?

Not really

Is there an app with all charger types and can the charger be locked via the app or physically?

Most have apps , how likely is someone to park in your drive and use your charger ? Switch off at breaker if it’s a worry

Is there much in the way of house modifications required or simply some electrical cabling?

Depends on the house and location of fuse board

With my ignorance on the whole area of electric cars is it best I seek an Electric Ireland installer as opposed to attempting to source materials I know little about and sourcing a local REC?

See inline

I went with electric Ireland eo pro bundle and I have an etron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I have a spare 5m type 2 cable for sale, for a tethered charger if someone is looking to switch from type 1 to type 2 etc.

https://www.adverts.ie/other/ev-charger-cable/21094076

Advertisement