Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

MJohnston wrote: »
    EO have 4 different models:

- EO Mini. This is the best one for most EV owners. It's their cheapest model, and it does the basics whilst being very cleanly designed. Install it with an EO ALM (active load management) if you have an electric shower.
    - EO Mini Pro. Buy this if you want to be able to control your charging from your smartphone AND your car doesn't already include that functionality (most do, which is why I think the EO Mini is best for most EV owners). You'll still need to install with an EO ALM if you have an electric shower. This model will generally cost a few hundred euro more than the EO Mini.
    - EO Smart Home. This is actually just a bundle package. It includes the regular EO Mini and an EO Home Hub (which is a separate device that is installed separately). The EO Home Hub allows for smartphone control, solar integration, and includes built-in load-balancing for those with electric showers. IMO this one is only necessary if you have or plan to have solar panels. This model will generally cost a few hundred more than the EO Mini Pro.
    - EO Basic. This one is basically for nobody here. It has the same level of functionality as the EO Mini, but it's packaged in an uglier shell. The reason this model exists is because it supports 11kW and 22kW charging, but I presume that requires a specific supply that homes generally can't provide? This model should cost the same as the EO Smart Home.

Now the question is which of these are Electric Ireland offering?

The above is very helpful from M Johnston in relation to the EO charge points supplied by Electric Ireland. I'm leaning towards a tethered version of the basic model (€899 installed before grant) as the car will have its own scheduling built in. However, I'm wondering is there any future proofing benefit to getting any of the smarter versions? Are there any potential features that may be added down the line that the basic version could not avail of? I currently have no plans of getting solar.

Edited to add that we're a 2 car household where 1 will be EV and 1 ICE but likely to both be EV in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What is DC leakage protection and do I want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JohnC. wrote: »
    What is DC leakage protection and do I want it?

It an electrical requirement of charge points in the UK. I dont think its required here (not yet anyway) but it is an extra safety measure so no harm in having it.

I dont think it should be your primary concern when picking a charge point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Redlim wrote: »
    The above is very helpful from M Johnston in relation to the EO charge points supplied by Electric Ireland. I'm leaning towards a tethered version of the basic model (€899 installed before grant) as the car will have its own scheduling built in. However, I'm wondering is there any future proofing benefit to getting any of the smarter versions? Are there any potential features that may be added down the line that the basic version could not avail of? I currently have no plans of getting solar.

Edited to add that we're a 2 car household where 1 will be EV and 1 ICE but likely to both be EV in a few years.
    From my own research and feedback, the EO Mini Pro and EO Smart Home are hampered by the mobile app that is licensed for use with these products, which is rated very poorly (Android, IOS). Our installer suggested that it was being suspended, but not sure how accurate that information might be. If you need smarts (timing control, load balancing, solar power integration), then the smart money (pardon the pun) seems to be on Zappi (not supplied by Electric Ireland).

My car (Kia eNiro) has a connected app (UVO), so we can monitor charging, charge levels, modify timing, etc. So paying extra for the Pro/Smart just didn't seem to offer anything extra.

From my own research and feedback, the EO Mini Pro and EO Smart Home are hampered by the mobile app that is licensed for use with these products, which is rated very poorly (Android, IOS). Our installer suggested that it was being suspended, but not sure how accurate that information might be. If you need smarts (timing control, load balancing, solar power integration), then the smart money (pardon the pun) seems to be on Zappi (not supplied by Electric Ireland).

My car (Kia eNiro) has a connected app (UVO), so we can monitor charging, charge levels, modify timing, etc. So paying extra for the Pro/Smart just didn't seem to offer anything extra.

Cheers, of the 3 smart features you mentioned (timing control, load balancing, solar power integration) I think I would only need the load balancing as we have an electric shower.

This would mean the regular EO mini with ALM is best unless the EO Smart/Zappi has the ability to add other features down the line - though with my limited knowledge I have no idea what those new features might be!

In a nutshell, I'm trying to understand if there's anything in the pipeline that might be with future proofing for - or should I not worry about all that and just get the cheaper one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cynically perhaps, but I think hardware like that is unlikely to receive new features, they'd rather push people to upgrade to new hardware.

One really important thing to note again is that the EO Mini Smart Home is comprised of a standard, "dumb" EO Mini charger and a completely separate EO Home Hub device which handles all the solar capabilities and smarts.

EO currently don't sell the Home Hub as a separate device, but clearly it is possible, and maybe they'll do it in the future (no brainer imo). That also means it should be possible for other manufacturers to create their own smart devices that work separately from the chargers themselves.

Personally I prefer this approach, not just for the cynical reasoning above, but also it's just more modular and therefore more cheaply and easily upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are looking at the wrong app for the eo that EI install

not that its any better but it is improving

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/eo-smart-home/id1471103159

The EO does have load balancing, can do solar it seems and it does timing control, zappi will be more expensive, in my experience the EO works fine and is decent value.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Cynically perhaps, but I think hardware like that is unlikely to receive new features, they'd rather push people to upgrade to new hardware.

One really important thing to note again is that the EO Mini Smart Home is comprised of a standard, "dumb" EO Mini charger and a completely separate EO Home Hub device which handles all the solar capabilities and smarts.

EO currently don't sell the Home Hub as a separate device, but clearly it is possible, and maybe they'll do it in the future (no brainer imo). That also means it should be possible for other manufacturers to create their own smart devices that work separately from the chargers themselves.

Personally I prefer this approach, not just for the cynical reasoning above, but also it's just more modular and therefore more cheaply and easily upgraded.

there is a cat 5 cable from the charger to the hub so a retrofit isnt that straighforward.

Makes sense, thank you. Think I'll just go with the standard EO mini with ALM then.

From speaking with Electric Ireland, they apparently install all of them with ALM as part of the package so a tethered EO mini for €899 seems like a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cyrus wrote: »
    there is a cat 5 cable from the charger to the hub so a retrofit isnt that straighforward.

I'm not saying it's straightforward, it's just no more difficult to add the Home Hub months or years later than it is to install it at the same time as the EO Mini (other than, I suppose, it being two callout fees for the installer).

In fact, if you look at the EO Smart Home installation guide it tells you to install the EO Mini as per the EO Mini installation guide first. And then you do all the Home Hub stuff.

However, the serial connection between charger and smart hub probably rules out a third-party add-on, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cyrus wrote: »
    you are looking at the wrong app for the eo that EI install

not that its any better but it is improving

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/eo-smart-home/id1471103159

The EO does have load balancing, can do solar it seems and it does timing control, zappi will be more expensive, in my experience the EO works fine and is decent value.
    Those are the two apps that are linked to from the EO Mini Pro's website. Perhaps it is market specific?

Charger timing, solar support are features of the mini pro (and need an EO ALM for load balancing, if I read the above correctly). The Zappi would be a single integrated unit? I was quoted €1,249 for the mini pro and €1,299 for the Zappi.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Got our EO Mi through Electric Ireland, we were told to download the blue app....a bit rubbish though.

Letter from the SAEI today, our resubmitted forms sound like they have been accepted. Based on people here won't be holding breath to get money in 4-6 weeks!

Dear Applicant,

We wish to confirm that we have received your Electric Vehicle Home Charger payment request form and supporting documentation which is now currently under review.

Please note, the payment process generally takes between 4 to 6 weeks from when we receive the completed set of forms and the correct supporting documentation.

Once payment has been made you will receive remittance notification.

Kind Regards,

Electric Vehicle Home Charger Grant Team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has anyone any experience of using a type 2 to type 1 converter (or vice versa) on a tethered home home charger?

We just got a 2016 Leaf and are looking at a charger, but also possibly getting a second ev/phev next year, which would be type 2 I presume.

Are we better off just going for untethered? Just wondering how fiddly the converter would be to use and how easy they are to break?

Those are the two apps that are linked to from the EO Mini Pro's website. Perhaps it is market specific?

Charger timing, solar support are features of the mini pro (and need an EO ALM for load balancing, if I read the above correctly). The Zappi would be a single integrated unit? I was quoted €1,249 for the mini pro and €1,299 for the Zappi.

I was referring to what electric Ireland install which is the eo mini with the smart home hub it’s not actually the eo mini pro but you end up with the same features , that’s 1099 so 200 less than the zappi.

The smart hub does load balancing aswell .

The app I linked is the correct app for the smart hub .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭emmetlego

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

emmetlego wrote: »
    Hubby is a former sparks and is confident still to do this type of work,
    :-)

He may be confident but he’s not legally permitted. Only a r.e.c is allowed undertake such works.

meercat wrote: »
    He may be confident but he’s not legally permitted. Only a r.e.c is allowed undertake such works.

Thanks for that.

Any thoughts on the charger anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks for that.

It’s shipping from China so that would be a no from me! Amazon have it and there’s some reviews : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morec-Charging-Station-Distribution-Portable/dp/B07Q431ZQV/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=ev+charger&qid=1596282472&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=ev&sprefix=ev+&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its not a popular one so it will be a chance on your part to buy it from China.
    e.g. What is the after sales and parts side of things like if it has an issue?

EV charge points all just charge the car but some have more advanced features IF you need them. Is there something in particular in this charge point that he likes/wants that is making him order from China?

Maybe we can recommend an alternative that will be tried and tested in the EU with local support.

Thanks people, you’ve scared him off that one from China! He said he’d like a type 2, 32 ampere, tethered, single phase that has a WiFi app. He wants reliable and cheapest possible.

Honestly no idea why he doesn’t join boards instead of using me as the middle person!!!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/home-charging-range
    These are the cheapest reputable chargers I know of. There are tethered and untethered options and WiFi also.
    WiFi is a gimmick for me, the car will control charging in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks people, you’ve scared him off that one from China! He said he’d like a type 2, 32 ampere, tethered, single phase that has a WiFi app. He wants reliable and cheapest possible.

Honestly no idea why he doesn’t join boards instead of using me as the middle person!!!!!

I'm in the same position - my dad is retired so not reg. anymore. For the cost of buying my own charger and him fitting it ... I can get a much better charger via the grant so this may be something for him to consider?

Actually, he’s just discovered his car has an app, so WiFi is not needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Actually, he’s just discovered his car has an app, so WiFi is not needed!

What's the price range?
    Cheap and reliable don't often go hand in hand.
    Do you have an electric shower or heat pump in your house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Probably best as I fear that unit wouldn’t be CE marked for sale in Europe either which means he may get into difficulty with certification.

Most chargers nowadays are 32a (7kw charging enabled) so he can’t really go too wrong.

If he wants cheap, check out DoneDeal, adverts and the Facebook groups. I bought a 32a ABL unit 4 years ago on there for €200 and it’s still working perfect.

Felexicon wrote: »
    What's the price range?
    Cheap and reliable don't often go hand in hand.
    Do you have an electric shower or heat pump in your house?

Neither, we don't need that extra switcher thingy!

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Neither, we don't need that extra switcher thingy!

Thank you

Just head down to your nearest Electrical wholesaler and get the cheapest one they stock so

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Is there such a thing as a retractable tethered charger?

Looking at some installation videos of the EO Mini installed and the cable wrapped around the charger looks terrible and bit like a hose to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

ustari wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a retractable tethered charger?

Looking at some installation videos of the EO Mini installed and the cable wrapped around the charger looks terrible and bit like a hose to me.

Short answer, No there isn't.

Long answer

It would be quite difficult to make a reeled charger as you would need some way to get the cables to rotate in the middle of the coil, think of like a brush of a motor
    And for 5 wires, with 3 of them being rated for 32amps

Then there is the issue of does it need to be fully unwound as not to pose a risk of excessive heating/fire due to high currents in a coil.

It's not impossible but the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

A charge point to look into is the Anderson, the cable on that is completely hidden, it's not retractable but it's hidden in the frame of the charge point.

Advertisement