Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Why, none of their business what the lecce charges, the equipment alone will likely cover the €600

Just making sure they know they can only claim the cost of the charger and if it's below €600 they won't get the full grant

Not that a free EV charger is anything to complain about

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Why, none of their business what the lecce charges, the equipment alone will likely cover the €600

You need to prove that the cost of install inc charge point is at least €600 to get the full grant.

So you have to provide an invoice/receipt somewhere in the process to show that.

If you get a free charge point and the labour only costs you €300 then the grant only pays you €300.

Thems are the rules... However, I think some people did actually get more than they paid by buying secondhand but that involves telling a few white lies on the form I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In addition to what others have said, the installer who signs off on the grant forms has to be Safe Electric registered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

KCross wrote: »
    You need to prove that the cost of install inc charge point is at least €600 to get the full grant.

So you have to provide an invoice/receipt somewhere in the process to show that.

If you get a free charge point and the labour only costs you €300 then the grant only pays you €300.

Thems are the rules... However, I think some people did actually get more than they paid by buying secondhand but that involves telling a few white lies on the form I think.

Good, if you happen to only spend €300 then that’s how much you should get back, totally agree

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Feeder wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this myself but stopped short of purchasing when I read the following in the Amazon description:

Make sure your car is unlocked with no charge settings/timers turned on.

Do you guys leave the car unlocked during charging? I would have to charge once per week so was going to set the timer to charge from 1am as we have an electric shower but no chance it would be used after midnight on the same night the car is charging.

Correct, as above I think that's just the troubleshooting process. I've had no such issues. Works grand for me, no problems locking or timing the charge or remote preheating (via car app) etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TJJP wrote: »
    Correct, as above I think that's just the troubleshooting process. I've had no such issues. Works grand for me, no problems locking or timing the charge or remote preheating (via car app) etc.

THANKYOU05 / THANKYOU20 for £5 off 100 or £20 off £200 with http://evonestop.co.uk/ if you go for it. Mine came today and going up tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I have a power shower in the house and the best place (in order to avoid a long wire run) for the charge point to go is about 8 metres away from where the car plug is.

I am waiting on a few quotes from different people but all have suggested the eo with an extra 10m tether... anybody here able to say if this is the best route to take or if there is another option to explore.

shoutman wrote: »
    I have a power shower in the house and the best place (in order to avoid a long wire run) for the charge point to go is about 8 metres away from where the car plug is.

I am waiting on a few quotes from different people but all have suggested the eo with an extra 10m tether... anybody here able to say if this is the best route to take or if there is another option to explore.

So for the power shower you'll probably need something like a priority switch installed. This will stop the charger if someone switches on the power shower as running both together would take you very close to the houses main fuse limit

You can also get chargers with current sensors which you can attach to the main feed to your house and set a limit. The charger will then limit itself based on how much current the other appliances in the house are using. This would eliminate the need for a priority switch.

If you look for chargers with current sensing or load balancing features then this should be what you need. The Zappi has this ability (I swear I've no shares in their company, despite me mentioning them a lot :D)

I've the EO mini and no complaints, it's a good reliable charger in a small profile. I'd say in retrospect I wish I'd gotten a smarter charger so I could program the night rate times into the charger instead of the car. At the moment, if I'm using public AC I need to remember to switch the timer in the car off, and invariably I forget half the time.

Speaking of night rates, if you don't have a night electricity meter you should consider getting one installed. It'll make charging the car much cheaper and unless midnight showers are your thing it'll get around any issues of the charger getting blocked by the power shower. I think it costs around €250 to get the meter changed, but your supplier might cover it if you've never changed the meter before. Even if you pay for it, I think it pays for itself within around 5000km of driving

One concern regarding the 10m tether, consider that you might get an EV in future where the charge port is in a different location even further away from the charger. I don't think you can get cables over 10m, so if it's possible to shorten the distance even by a meter or two then that might save you some trouble in future

Thanks for the response, is the zappi a smart charger?

The EO Mini can be installed with an ALM (load management device) that sorts out the electric shower issue. We have it installed at home, the ALM is a tiny piece of hardware, like the size of an iPhone or something.

• Advertisement

Zappi is a smart charger, also EO have an optional load balancer. I think Wallbox Pulsar Plus does as well

If you Google "EV charger load balancing" you'll find plenty of options

I have a power shower in the house...

Is it just a pumped shower off the immersion tank or is it an electric shower?

If its just a pumped shower you dont need to worry about priority switches.
    ... the best place (in order to avoid a long wire run) for the charge point to go is about 8 metres away from where the car plug is.

Put the charge point where you need it, not the easiest route. You will be using this charge point everyday, you dont want it somewhere sub-optimal that will piss you off in the long run. The install is a once off thing, using the charge point is everyday.

What car do you have?
    The 8m you have calculated, is that to the edge of the car or to the back of the car... how will the car be parked in relation to the charge point? As cruisey suggests the charge port could be at the back of the car. Have you thought about that?

EO mini will do fine if thats the one you like.

If you have any ideas about adding Solar or if you have other high power devices like a heat pump or electric shower then you need to look at ensuring you get one that supports load management... i.e. sensing the whole house load.
    Speaking of night rates, if you don't have a night electricity meter you should consider getting one installed. It'll make charging the car much cheaper and unless midnight showers are your thing it'll get around any issues of the charger getting blocked by the power shower. I think it costs around €250 to get the meter changed, but your supplier might cover it if you've never changed the meter before. Even if you pay for it, I think it pays for itself within around 5000km of driving

Getting a day/night meter installed is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think it costs around €250 to get the meter changed

Switching to a night meter is free. The only extra cost is that your standing charge will increase but if you're doing a lot of night charging and/or moving juice hungry appliances to overnight use then it's well worth it.

Edit, KCross beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭cannco253

Hi All

I'm about to submit my SEAI payment request form, after receiving the grant approval and having our charger installed.

When it says on the PRF that a "copy" of the Safe Electric Record sheet and a "copy" of the Vehicle Registration Certificate (it's a second hand car), do they mean they need the originals of both or would a printed scan of each work?

Seems strange if they look for originals (would they return them?), but given the delays in payment I just wanted to check before posting everything off.

Thanks

cannco253 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm about to submit my SEAI payment request form, after receiving the grant approval and having our charger installed.

When it says on the PRF that a "copy" of the Safe Electric Record sheet and a "copy" of the Vehicle Registration Certificate (it's a second hand car), do they mean they need the originals of both or would a printed scan of each work?

Seems strange if they look for originals (would they return them?), but given the delays in payment I just wanted to check before posting everything off.

Thanks

Copies are fine.

I've responded in red below. Thanks again for all the replies, it is appreciated.

Really I'm after the most cost efficient way to do this.
    Is it just a pumped shower off the immersion tank or is it an electric shower?

If its just a pumped shower you dont need to worry about priority switches.
    Triton Thermostatic Power Shower is what is written on the unit and you have to press a switch connected to a fuse (little red light yoke) in order for there to be power to it... I presume that fits the bill of electric shower?

Put the charge point where you need it, not the easiest route. You will be using this charge point everyday, you dont want it somewhere sub-optimal that will piss you off in the long run. The install is a once off thing, using the charge point is everyday.

What car do you have?
    The 8m you have calculated, is that to the edge of the car or to the back of the car... how will the car be parked in relation to the charge point? As cruisey suggests the charge port could be at the back of the car. Have you thought about that?

Have a new Electric Kona so the charge port is front left of the car, and from where I'm looking ot have the chargepoint to where the car would be parked is approx 7metres, I'm giving the extra 1metre for a bit of wiggle room.

The issue with where I wanted it originally versus where I've settled on now is that originally I wanted the chargepoint the far side of the front of the house, and seemingly these cables aren't too easy to hide when running along the front of a house etc...

Where I'm putting it now isn't a hassle to get to or anything of the sort, just closer to the front door than had originally wanted.

EO mini will do fine if thats the one you like.

If you have any ideas about adding Solar or if you have other high power devices like a heat pump or electric shower then you need to look at ensuring you get one that supports load management... i.e. sensing the whole house load.

Getting a day/night meter installed is free.

Yes, got this done last week.

Shower... that sounds like an electric one so you either need a charge point that has house load sensing/limiting or a priority switch.
    A priority switch adds about €150-€200 to your install so factor that in when comparing cheaper charge points that dont have load limiting capability.

Some options that have load limiting capability, hence no priority switch required
    EO with ALM(which is extra I think)
    Zappi
    Wallbox Pulsar

Most only come with a 5m cable with options to get 7m so you might find that you need to buy an untethered version and buy a separate 8-10m cable to suit you. That wont be cheap.... maybe another €150-€200(?) for that cable so it might be cheaper to put it in a better location even if it costs more to install. Coiling up 10m of cable is alot of cable!

Charge point location.... what about in 5-10yrs time when you change car and the port is at the back? What will you do then?
    Ultimately its your call. If you are happy with the current 8m location then go for it.
    For me, I'd go with the best location even if that resulted in an extra hour or two of work for the electrician. As I said, the charge point will be there for years not just for this car. There is usually a way to hide cables inside soffit and run it through attic etc but some electricians just dont want that extra effort.

Up to you.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

can someone confirm that the price of the 7.5m long Tesla home charger of 530 euros is after the SEAI grant or not? , i don't qualify for the grant as the car is a business purchase.

my situation is:

i have 2 X 9.8Kw showers in the house (with an isolating pull cord, which only allows one to operate at a time)

looking at the main fuse before the meter is says 60/80A on it. the main fuse on the board in the house is 63A.

i dont have heat pump in the house, just the showers are the main pull (just the normal washing machine/cooker/dryer)

would like to keep the cost down initially so tesla charger plus installation could be more expensive,
    (i can claim vat back on the purchase and installation)

so whats the best option/price below the tesla charger ?
    looks like i need one of the boxes mentioned in the last couple of posts with load limiting capability or a priority switch.

im due in the next few days to be getting a smart meter installed by esb networks (or a subcontractor of same)

is there anything i could get them to do while they are installing the meter? what about a bigger main fuse 100A or is this not possible.

Also need the name of a good installer in the cork/munster area, or willing to travel here.

thanks

(sorry for multiple questions in one post!)

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    can someone confirm that the price of the 7.5m long Tesla home charger of 530 euros is after of SEAI grant or not? , i don't qualify for the grant as the car is a business purchase.

All charge point prices exclude the grant. So you buy the charge point yourself, get it installed and then submit the purchase and install total price and get upto €600 back.

my situation is:

i have 2 X 9.8Kw showers in the house (with an isolating pull cord, which only allows one to operate at a time)

That means you already have a priority switch installed. Adding a charge point means adding another priority switch or as mentioned in previous posts buy a charge point that has load management built in.

Since you already have two electric showers I think you should consider that. The Tesla wall connector doesnt do it.

looking at the main fuse before the meter is says 60/80A on it. the main fuse on the board in the house is 63A.

Nearly all of them say 60A/80A on them. You more than likely have a 60A fuse in there but you might be lucky and have an 80A fuse in there but you'd need ESB to open it to confirm as thats a sealed unit that you are not supposed to open.
    would like to keep the cost down initially so tesla charger plus installation could be more expensive,
    (i can claim vat back on the purchase and installation)

so whats the best option/price below the tesla charger ?

What do you mean by "below the tesla charger"? Price below Tesla?
    looks like i need one of the boxes mentioned in the last couple of posts with load limiting capability or a priority switch.

Yes, I think you should get a charge point with load management in particular load limiting on the incoming mains.
    im due in the next few days to be getting a smart meter installed by esb networks (or a subcontractor of same)

The last time I looked they only allow you to use the 24hr tariff with the smart meter. That means you cant charge your car on cheap night rate which you should really be doing unless you have very small mileage. Take a look at that before you accept the smart meter.

They will support multiple tariffs at some later point but no idea when.
    is there anything i could get them to do while they are installing the meter? what about a bigger main fuse 100A or is this not possible.

Not possible without you hiring an electrician to check your house wiring and upgrading the "tails" and recertifying your house. Only then will ESB give you a higher rated fuse and they will also charge you for it (€1k+) plus your electrician fees and any remedial work he might have to do.

thanks for the replies KCross,

yes i meant was, can i get a cheaper home charger plus installation than tesla's wall charger plus installation?

so just to confirm, the price of the teala wall charger is 530+600=1140 for me to buy it as a business company car purchase, plus the cost of installation, or did i read that wrong? there is no mention at all on tesla website (that i can see) of the 600 is already taken off the website price, but being tesla, it probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tesla wall connector is €530 cash price. They have no involvement in the SEAI home charger grant. That’s entirely up to you.

yes i meant was, can i get a cheaper home charger plus installation than tesla's wall charger plus installation?

Cheaper ones will be cheap and cheerful and will require a priority switch so you will be adding up to €200 to your install cost for that so you might as well get one of the more expensive ones and save yourself that complication.
    so just to confirm, the price of the teala wall charger is 530+600=1140 for me to buy it as a business company car purchase, plus the cost of installation, or did i read that wrong? there is no mention at all on tesla website (that i can see) of the 600 is already taken off the website price, but being tesla, it probably is.

It excludes the grant. So you will more or less get the charge point for free and just pay for install.

Cheaper ones will be cheap and cheerful and will require a priority switch so you will be adding up to €200 to your install cost for that so you might as well get one of the more expensive ones and save yourself that complication.

It excludes the grant. So you will more or less get the charge point for free and just pay for install.

thanks for the replies , the car will be owned by my business and not by me, so i cant get the SEAI grant for the car or charger unfortunately.

ill just make sure any final invoices for the car and charger are dated from the 1 sept for the 21% vat instead of 23%

That’s a bit of an exaggeration—I paid €100 extra for the EO ALM with the Mini.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That’s a bit of an exaggeration—I paid €100 extra for the EO ALM with the Mini.

I was referring to a priority switch, not the ALM on the EO mini.

I am recommending he buy a charge point like the EO mini! ;)

I was referring to a priority switch, not the ALM on the EO mini.

I am recommending he buy a charge point like the EO mini! ;)

What’s a priority switch? I though that’s exactly what the ALM was too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

MJohnston wrote: »
    What’s a priority switch? I though that’s exactly what the ALM was too.

Different devices, but do the same function.

A priority switch will only let either the charger or shower function at the same time, ie if you turn on the shower, the charger will turn off.

ALM monitors the entire house load and if it passes a predetermined level, it will throttle the charge point accordingly by telling the car to slow the charge rate or even stop if necessary.

Both have the same effect of not overloading the house but by different means.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

thanks for the replies , the car will be owned by my business and not by me, so i cant get the SEAI grant for the car or charger unfortunately.

ill just make sure any final invoices for the car and charger are dated from the 1 sept for the 21% vat instead of 23%

Use the ACA (if it still exists!) for your wallbox purchase cost as well as the cost of the car itself. Different to the SEAI process but beneficial too.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Did any of you try to submit black & white photos to SEAI? This was mentioned before very briefly, but I'm wondering what's the latest on this - how many of you sent in b&w photos and still got paid? Thanks.

• Advertisement

xboxdad wrote: »
    Did any of you try to submit black & white photos to SEAI? This was mentioned before very briefly, but I'm wondering what's the latest on this - how many of you sent in b&w photos and still got paid? Thanks.

I'm really curious as to why you'd do this? Do you meant printed B&W?

Advertisement