Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I'm really curious as to why you'd do this? Do you meant printed B&W?

Yes. I have a b&w printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

xboxdad wrote: »
    Yes. I have a b&w printer.

Right, for some reason I thought you were emailing in B&W photos :D

I'm not 100% sure but I think I sent in B&W photos as we don't have a colour printer in work. That was 2 years ago so not sure if requirements have changed since then

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Is there a maximum distance that an EV charge point can be from the fuse box? My potential charge point will need to have a cable run of about 16 metres from the fuse box. Is that ok?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MJohnston wrote: »
    What’s a priority switch? I though that’s exactly what the ALM was too.

graememk answered you already but I think it does warrant some additional info as most people dont seem to understand this stuff. So, for the wider audience here is some terminology explained....

Load Management
    This is a generic term that could mean anything really. If you see that in the literature of a charge point it doesnt really tell you much. You need to read fine detail to understand what it is capable of.

Load balancing
    This term is usually used to signify that the charge point can balance the load between itself and another connected charge point of the same make/model. Its of limited use tbh.

e.g. Tesla Wall connector has this.

It does NOT mean that it will prevent your house fuse from blowing. Its just a way to limit the total draw from two connected charge points.

Load limiting/sensing
    This is what you really need if you want to prevent the house fuse blowing.
    A CT clamp is put on your incoming mains feed which measures the entire load on the house in real time and you tell the charge point what size fuse you have and then the charge point will ensure that you dont blow that fuse by turning down its draw when other devices in the house turn on (like showers, heat pumps etc).

It doesnt necessarily cut the charge session entirely. It might just drop it from 32A to 10A and then back up to 32A when the shower goes off again.

Priority switch
    This is a dumb version of load limiting. It is simply an on/off switch that automatically prevents two (or three) devices being on at the same time. Its less than an ideal solution but it does work to a degree.

So, its typically used between charge points and electric showers. If the shower goes on, the power to the charge point is cut. When the shower goes off the charge point power is restored.

Its not ideal because it cuts the charge session entirely which can result in negative consequences in some cases.
    e.g. If you are charging the car via your app or timer override and the power gets cut (because you've turned on the shower) the charge session wont necessarily get restarted when the power is restored as the cars timers may kick in when the power comes back on. Its car dependent.

Its not a huge deal since most charging is at night anyway but the load sensing option is just more slick than a priority switch and the cost difference is minimal when you factor in the cost of buying/installing a priority switch(€150-€200).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

pjdarcy wrote: »
    Is there a maximum distance that an EV charge point can be from the fuse box? My potential charge point will need to have a cable run of about 16 metres from the fuse box. Is that ok?

Thanks

That will be fine. Mine is 20m+

You may need a heavier gauge cable, but thats all.

• Advertisement

pjdarcy wrote: »

Thanks

Mines probably around the same distance, the only difference is that the electrician may have to use a thicker cable to lower the resistance. Just make sure they install a cable rated for the current of the EV charger, if it's a 7kW charger you'll need a 32 amp rated cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

KCross wrote: »
    That will be fine. Mine is 20m+

You may need a heavier gauge cable, but thats all.

You wont need to go above 6mm for 16 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Has anyone successfully get the home charger grant w/o submitting the EV grant application ID?

Also could anyone recommend an electrician to install a charger in cork? I’m still toying up an idea to get wallbox pulsar plus from the UK so a name would be handy. I’m waiting wallbox uk to come back to me with answers ab the differences between the uk and European model, as well as the warranty coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Has anyone successfully get the home charger grant w/o submitting the EV grant application ID?

Also could anyone recommend an electrician to install a charger in cork? I’m still toying up an idea to get wallbox pulsar plus from the UK so a name would be handy. I’m waiting wallbox uk to come back to me with answers ab the differences between the uk and European model, as well as the warranty coverage.
    I asked them about the warranty and they said it follows the device serial number so no issue with buying there and using here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I called SEAI before I applied and they said you don't need the Grant ID to apply for the grant, and if you don't have it available to you, you'd then just need to send them the logbook (or a copy of the logbook?) with your final application/request for payment...

• Advertisement

My car was imported second hand from the UK so I don't think it got the SEAI EV grant. I got the home charger grant without any issues, the only information I had to send in for the car was the logbook and a picture of the car on my driveway.

Unfortunately I didn't take a copy of the form I filled out so I'm guessing as to what I did 2 years ago

I called SEAI before I applied and they said you don't need the Grant ID to apply for the grant, and if you don't have it available to you, you'd then just need to send them the logbook (or a copy of the logbook?) with your final application/request for payment...

Ok, just the website says: If you are buying a new EV here in Ireland and receiving an EV grant from SEAI, you will need to provide your application ID which will be available from your car dealer.

My car was imported second hand from the UK so I don't think it got the SEAI EV grant. I got the home charger grant without any issues, the only information I had to send in for the car was the logbook and a picture of the car on my driveway.

Unfortunately I didn't take a copy of the form I filled out so I'm guessing as to what I did 2 years ago

Buying new so the website says I need the grant number.

Ok, just the website says: If you are buying a new EV here in Ireland and receiving an EV grant from SEAI, you will need to provide your application ID which will be available from your car dealer.

Call them and tell them you don’t have it yet, that’s what I did and they said I could still submit the initial grant application, but I’d then have to send them the logbook for the new car when I submitted all my paperwork requesting the payment. Tesla subsequently gave me the grant ID number before I submitted the initial application anyway.

Just call them and hear it from the horses mouth for peace of mind, as once you get the grant offer, you have 6 months into install a charger and collect your new car before you need to submit the final request for payment.

It can take a while to find an installer.......

Call them and tell them you don’t have it yet, that’s what I did and they said I could still submit the initial grant application, but I’d then have to send them the logbook for the new car when I submitted all my paperwork requesting the payment. Tesla subsequently gave me the grant ID number before I submitted the initial application anyway.

Just call them and hear it from the horses mouth for peace of mind, as once you get the grant offer, you have 6 months into install a charger and collect your new car before you need to submit the final request for payment.

It can take a while to find an installer.......

Perfect, thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hi folks,

Looking at ordering a Type 1 tethered Rolec Wallpod for the old man.
    Any recommendations for a good installer in Dublin that operates on reasonable prices?

Thanks!

It's not clear to me what sort of proof of payment (for the electrician - for installation) I have to submit to SEAI for the home charger grant.
    A piece of screenshot from my online bank account showing a completed outgoing transfer?
    Or simply the invoice will do?

It's not clear to me what sort of proof of payment (for the electrician - for installation) I have to submit to SEAI for the home charger grant.
    A piece of screenshot from my online bank account showing a completed outgoing transfer?

I only had a pdf copy of the invoice from Tesla so printed that and sent it along with a printed (word doc) receipt from the electrician, and it worked..

I just supplied a copy of the invoice. Just make sure it's clear that it was an EV charger installation and not something ambiguous like "equipment installation"

Also if you're getting other works done at the same time make sure the other stuff is billed as different items in the invoice with the cost for each item shown

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I submitted nothing with regards to payment. For both the charger, which I bought second hand on Facebook for €200 or the sparks who charged me €100 to connect both ends and certify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Applied online for the home charger grant on Monday night, got the grant approval letter this morning. No EV grant number from the dealer yet, but still got the go ahead for the charge point installation.

SEAI had confirmed it to me that B&W photos (if you don't have a color printer) will be accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gumbo wrote: »
    I submitted nothing with regards to payment.

Ditto.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I submitted nothing with regards to payment. For both the charger, which I bought second hand on Facebook for €200 or the sparks who charged me €100 to connect both ends and certify.

So did you get any issue with the charger being second hand? I'm thinking selling my charger with my car as I want to switch to a Zappi and I'm just hoping to ensure it doesn't cause problems for the buyer getting the grant

So did you get any issue with the charger being second hand?

Makes no difference whether it was preowned, imported or a gift. If it costs you €600 or more (;)) to install a chargepoint, SEAI will pay you €600, provided electrical safety certs etc. are in order.

Kramer wrote: »
    Makes no difference whether it was preowned, imported or a gift. If it costs you €600 or more (;)) to install a chargepoint, SEAI will pay you €600, provided electrical safety certs etc. are in order.

Thanks for that, good to know for any prospective buyers of the car

I'm thinking selling my charger with my car as I want to switch

I reckon you'll be throwing it in as a freebie with the sale or use it to sweeten the deal/help with the sale.
    I'd say you would be better selling it separately to be honest.

Kramer wrote: »
    I reckon you'll be throwing it in as a freebie with the sale or use it to sweeten the deal/help with the sale.
    I'd say you would be better selling it separately to be honest.

I'm okay using it as a sweetener to sell the car quicker, it's probably only worth €200 or so anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Has anyone that bought in a charger from the UK had issues with the SEAI grant? I bought a pulsar plus but just realised that the invoice is for my parcel motel address.

• Advertisement

McHonda wrote: »
    Has anyone that bought in a charger from the UK had issues with the SEAI grant? I bought a pulsar plus but just realised that the invoice is for my parcel motel address.

Does it state the billing address on it? That would probably be enough, I mean there's no rule that says you have to have the charger delivered to your home

Advertisement