Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Does it state the billing address on it? That would probably be enough, I mean there's no rule that says you have to have the charger delivered to your home
    The billing address is same as delivery address. I cant see anything on the T&C's that's states the charger must be bought in Ireland. The electrician's bill will be over the 600 anyway so hopefully I'm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

McHonda wrote: »
    ....The electrician's bill will be over the 600 anyway so hopefully I'm ok.

:eek:

He is charging €600 to install it or is he doing other work too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

KCross wrote: »

i was quoted over a grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My Rolec cost €500+ I think in 2015. Sparky friend installed it for free.

Solar installer fitted the Zappi a few weeks back, almost for free. The install costs were minimal as the cabling was already there, the grant is €600 and I sold the Rolec for €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

KCross wrote: »

I was quoted €465 Plus vat. With the cost of buying pulsar plus with power boost from the uk (€790) it was €20 more expensive than paying €1295 to buy the charger with the installation from the same guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

I was quoted €465 Plus vat. With the cost of buying pulsar plus with power boost from the uk (€790) it was €20 more expensive than paying €1295 to buy the charger with the installation from the same guy.
    I was quoted 590plus vat for labour but my customer unit is in the centre of the house and it's an awkward run to the chargepoint location.

I was quoted 1495 plus VAT for the pulsar plus + install so worked out much cheaper to get the charger myself. UK unit also has 3 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Had my EO Mini tethered with ALM installed via Electric Ireland today. 899 all in. Very neat job.
    FYI anyone ordering untethered will be waiting a while as they are out of stock. Tethered they can do very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

McHonda wrote: »
    I was quoted 590plus vat for labour but my customer unit is in the centre of the house and it's an awkward run to the chargepoint location.

I was quoted 1495 plus VAT for the pulsar plus + install so worked out much cheaper to get the charger myself. UK unit also has 3 year warranty

Yeah, my fuse box is right at the front door so minimal wiring will be required. I was told that Irish unit also has 3-year warranty. €1295 was with vat included.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Ionised wrote: »
    Had my EO Mini tethered with ALM installed via Electric Ireland today. 899 all in. Very neat job.
    FYI anyone ordering untethered will be waiting a while as they are out of stock. Tethered they can do very quickly.

Does any sort of box need to be installed indoors or is it simply a cable running from the fuse box to the EV charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

I've an order raised with them for the tethered version also but no installation slots available in my area for a couple of weeks apparently.

Would you mind posting a picture of the install? Did they put in the big red isolation switch also?

• Advertisement

Redlim wrote: »
    Did they put in the big red isolation switch also?

they have to:(

Cyrus wrote: »
    they have to:(

Thought so alright. Doesn't bother me too much as it will go at the back of the house but a bit annoying for those who must install at the front of the house, especially given that the untethered EO mini is so nice and compact itself.

pjdarcy wrote:
    Does any sort of box need to be installed indoors or is it simply a cable running from the fuse box to the EV charger?

Very small box next to the fuse board which is the ALM unit. Little larger than a pack of cards.

Cyrus wrote:
    they have to

No isolation switch next to mine. I wonder if it it because my fuse board is literally 2 feet away from the point.

No isolation switch next to mine. I wonder if it it because my fuse board is literally 2 feet away from the point.

Could be ? Lucky for you !

Redlim wrote: »
    Thought so alright. Doesn't bother me too much as it will go at the back of the house but a bit annoying for those who must install at the front of the house, especially given that the untethered EO mini is so nice and compact itself.

Here’s mine , the drain means you can’t see any of it from the front of the house but the is the size of the charger

upes4pW.jpg

Cyrus wrote: »
    Here’s mine , the drain means you can’t see any of it from the front of the house but the is the size of the charger

upes4pW.jpg

Nicely done, mine will most likely be close to a big ugly OFCH unit at the back so I'm not overly concerned about it being discreet. Hoping there's no issue having them close to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Should be one fitted no matter how far from the board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭cannco253

Hi all

SEAI returned my payment request as I didn't fill in the approximate year of build for the house - why would they need to know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BarryC21

Hi folks,

I've been finding it difficult to see if there's a consensus "best charger" on this thread but I've been looking at the Wallbox Pulsar with carcharger.ie or just going with the Electric Ireland standard charger...anything that I'm missing? House is on it's own site, has an external set of sockets already installed where I want the charger to be and the fuse box isn't to far away. No electric showers but we do have a pumped hot water tank (old cottage renovation) and an air to water heat pump for the heating and hot water. I have the grant sorted so just looking to spend €500 or €600 on top of that.

I'd like to be able to set the charger remotely to charge at night. I need to do some more research on whether I can actually do that from the car (Merc C350e) or whether that needs to be done from the socket.

All (good...) advice appreciated!!

• Advertisement

BarryC21 wrote: »
    I've been finding it difficult to see if there's a consensus "best charger" on this thread but I've been looking at the Wallbox Pulsar with carcharger.ie or just going with the Electric Ireland standard charger...anything that I'm missing?

You wont get a consensus "best charger" because it depends on you but there are a few that will suit you.
    House is on it's own site, has an external set of sockets already installed where I want the charger to be and the fuse box isn't to far away.

The fact you have external sockets already wont really help that much as the cable feeding them is unlikely to be able to take an additional 32A. A new dedicated cable will need to be run from your consumer unit to the location you want the charge point.
    No electric showers but we do have a pumped hot water tank (old cottage renovation) and an air to water heat pump for the heating and hot water. I have the grant sorted so just looking to spend €500 or €600 on top of that.

The heat pump will be running at night at the same time as the charge point and a priority switch is not suitable for those as you cant cut power to the heat pump like that.

You need a charge point that has load limiting capability via a CT clamp on the incoming mains.

I'd like to be able to set the charger remotely to charge at night. I need to do some more research on whether I can actually do that from the car (Merc C350e) or whether that needs to be done from the socket.

I dont have experience of the C350e but I'd be surprised if it didnt have built-in timer capability. So you dont need app support for that but it can be handy.

Other considerations:
    - do you want tethered or untethered
    - do you care about looks
    - budget

That will narrow the field a bit and should get the list down to one or two that you can choose from that tick alll your boxes.

That's great info - thanks a mill! The car came with a fairly robust cable so I'd be leaning toward untethered as it's a bit neater. In terms of budget, around five or six hundred on top of the grant would be ideal...

That's great info - thanks a mill! The car came with a fairly robust cable so I'd be leaning toward untethered as it's a bit neater. In terms of budget, around five or six hundred on top of the grant would be ideal...

go for the EO smart home with EI then 1099 before the grant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No electric showers but we do have a pumped hot water tank (old cottage renovation) and an air to water heat pump for the heating and hot water.

I have an ASHP and didn't need to fit any priority switches or load balancers, I've had no issues with overloading the house supply. Check the max electric load of the heat pump and add in the car chargers plus the circulation pump, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer and that'll give you a good idea of max consumption.

If you've got a good bit of leeway to the houses max import capacity then you should be fine

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I have an ASHP and didn't need to fit any priority switches or load balancers, I've had no issues with overloading the house supply. Check the max electric load of the heat pump and add in the car chargers plus the circulation pump, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer and that'll give you a good idea of max consumption.

If you've got a good bit of leeway to the houses max import capacity then you should be fine

That is good news! Now all I have to do is figure out how to check the max. electric load of all those things and max import capacity of the house!! :D:D:D

Was asked earlier for a photo.

Was asked earlier for a photo.

Cheers. Nice to have the holder for the head on the tethered version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That is good news! Now all I have to do is figure out how to check the max. electric load of all those things and max import capacity of the house!! :D:D:D

Well first off, follow the electricians advice, if they say you need some sort of load sharing, then you need to get some sort of load sharing system.

The instruction manuals for your appliances should have those under the specifications section.

ASHPs are roughly 1/4 of the rated heat output. For example my 6kW heat pump has a max consumption of 1.6kW

Watch out for the immersion heater, set the sterilisation to happen during the day when your car isn't charging.

As for the maximum import, there's two ways to figure it out.

First is if you have the letter from the ESB from when the house got connected. It'll have the MPRN and the Maximum Import Capacity in kVA, which in this case you can convert directly to kW.

Second is to look at the main fuse on your fuse board and note down the current rating. Multiply by 230V to get the maximum power in kW. Most houses seem to have a 63 Amp fuse which works out at roughly 14.5kW

There's also a single use fuse in the meter box, probably rated for 80 Amps, if you blow this the ESB has to replace it and they'll make you pay :eek:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Just get one with load sensing and you’re covered.

• Advertisement

There's also a single use fuse in the meter box, probably rated for 80 Amps, if you blow this the ESB has to replace it and they'll make you pay :eek:

That’s usually a 60A fuse for a standard connection and an 80A if you have the enhanced ESB supply (16kVA).

Most people with a heat pump would have the enhanced supply so they should have the 80A fuse but if the fuse on the consumer unit is 63A you are limited to that.

Advertisement