Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Redlim wrote: »
    Cheers. Nice to have the holder for the head on the tethered version.

A few saddles on that flexi wouldn't be a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭zg3409

cannco253 wrote: »
    Hi all

SEAI returned my payment request as I didn't fill in the approximate year of build for the house - why would they need to know this?

Because it is a requirement and you did not fill it in. They are collecting statistics. Some very old houses have not a good enough electricity supply for a 7kW charger. Presumably someone thought it might be useful to collect this information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cannco253 wrote: »
    Hi all

SEAI returned my payment request as I didn't fill in the approximate year of build for the house - why would they need to know this?

Very straight forward, it’s a requirement. Nothing sinister about it.
    Just fill it in and resend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Ionised wrote: »
    Was asked earlier for a photo.

Thanks for the pic. Did they install an isolation switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

pjdarcy wrote:
    Thanks for the pic. Did they install an isolation switch?

Nope. My fuse board is very close so that may be why but must admit I didn't ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Anyone know if the grant expires, can we just renew it again? I haven't bothered yet to get the charge point installed but have letter of approval since April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm not sure how easy it is to re-apply for it?

When I spoke to SEAI back in February, they said if I think I won't get the charger installed within the 6 month timeframe, that I should pause the grant offer, and then get it re-activated when it came time to install the charger. or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyone know if the grant expires, can we just renew it again? I haven't bothered yet to get the charge point installed but have letter of approval since April :)

If you have an active one you have to cancel your offer and reapply and get a new offer which will have the effect of giving you another 6 months to complete.

If it’s already expired just apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭zg3409

Its valid for 6 months. You can pause or renew it then. Only warning is that if the fund runs out of money or grant is withdrawn, then you won't get it renewed. One day the money will run out or the rules will change. Get it now if you have an EV.

Similar funds have used up all the allocation and stopped accepting new requests. Partly why they say don't start any work until you have been approved, approval is not guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Had the zappi charger installed yesterday. Looks like a great piece of kit. Very neat install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Got wallbox pulsar plus installed yesterday. Neat enough. Also esb swapped the meter to dual meter. The only thing that esb engineer switched off the electricity in the house w/o telling me and knocked me off my webex meeting. Not cool, esb

The only thing that esb engineer switched off the electricity in the house w/o telling me and knocked me off my webex meeting. Not cool, esb

Yeah but you knew they were there to swap your meter right? You'd have to accept that there will be an interruption to supply when this is done no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah but you knew they were there to swap your meter right? You'd have to accept that there will be an interruption to supply when this is done no?

I guess it was more about the lack of warning than the power outage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I know that, but he didn’t knock on the door and asked me whether it’s ok to switch the electricity off. He went directly to the meter unannounced and switched it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I know that, but he didn’t knock on the door and asked me whether it’s ok to switch the electricity off. He went directly to the meter unannounced and switched it off.

You are right. Thats unacceptable.

You should be given an opportunity to gracefully turn things off.

I had a meter replaced and they knocked and asked first. I'd say you just got an ignorant technician.

Maybe he saw you were in a call and thought you needed a break :D

That is out of order then (I had incorrectly assumed the guy called in first to say he was there to change the meter). When they did mine (all in a 10 minute job), he knocked in first to give me the heads up. Work laptop would have been fine, but it gave me a few minutes to turn off my iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

he didn’t knock on the door and asked me whether it’s ok to switch the electricity off. He went directly to the meter unannounced and switched it off.

Exactly as happened me. I had 2 servers running, (one without a UPS) & an 8 disc NAS (mechanical HDDs) running...............I was livid :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

rx8 wrote: »
    Had the zappi charger installed yesterday. Looks like a great piece of kit. Very neat install.

Is that armoured cable feeding the charge point? It looks very slim for 4 or 6 squared?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

We also got the Zappi just before lockdown.

inh38W7.jpg?1

Very happy with it, at side of the house, so not obvious when you come to front of house. Can park car beside it. The only person who has noticed it is the postman who remarked that it looks neater than some he has seen.

When we got the night meter installed a few months ago it was during one of the many lightning storms we have had this year. Power went in whole area for about 5 mins when he was doing the job! (He had already told us he would be switching off the supply).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Any reason these zappis don’t have isolator switches ?

Kramer wrote: »
    Is that armoured cable feeding the charge point? It looks very slim for 4 or 6 squared?

It's not SWA, but it is shielded. I did ask about the cable type but I forget what he said it is. I think it's NYY-J 10mm like this
    https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/cablecableaccessories/electricalcablewire/powerindustrialcable/3x10mmnyyjindustrialelectricalcableper1mtr

Cyrus wrote: »

I wasn't keen on it tbh, and he said that it wasn't needed as it's so close to the consumer unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

rx8 wrote: »
    I wasn't keen on it tbh, and he said that it wasn't needed as it's so close to the consumer unit.

Lucky you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

Cyrus wrote: »

I was also told by the installer that one is not needed if close to distribution board. He is a major installer of home and public charge points.

I spoke to my installer today regarding an enquiry I received about a zappi. He said that the cost would be €1k - €1100 depending on the type of installation,(straightforward or more time consuming).He also has Rolec and Garo available for a good bit less if anyone is interested. (Price is before you claim grant).
    I know quite a few here were having trouble getting an installer with availability.
    Details by PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

eagerv wrote: »
    I was also told by the installer that one is not needed if close to distribution board. He is a major installer of home and public charge points.

He is wrong

I don't get all this hatred of the isolation switches. I had to ask for one and I quite like having it. It's handy if the charger ever needs a quick reset

Felexicon wrote: »
    He is wrong

Yep.
    Someone is telling porkies.
    They are required under the rules.
    It's been put to bed by safe electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Wallbox plus fitted today

Advertisement