Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Will definitely go to a Tesco clondalkin after work today and report back. In the meantime please see photo attached of cable.
    Thanks all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

wush06 wrote: »
    Will definitely go to a Tesco clondalkin after work today and report back. In the meantime please see photo attached of cable.
    Thanks all

Cable seems fine, spec wise. It could be damaged internally though.
    Test at the tesco 22kw charger. You should be getting 6.6 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks all

That's a 32 amp cable alright, should have no problem charging as 6.6kW. Still worth checking on a public charger just to be sure.

Sounds like you might have got a dud rolec, or a dud cable

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

That's a 32 amp cable alright, should have no problem charging as 6.6kW. Still worth checking on a public charger just to be sure.

Sounds like you might have got a dud rolec, or a dud cable

Funny you say that rang rolec and nearly straight away they said that it could be a wrong 32a controller fitting at the factory and if I send a copy of the electrician cert he will put it to management for a replacement 32a controller to be sent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Funny you say that rang rolec and nearly straight away they said that it could be a wrong 32a controller fitting at the factory and if I send a copy of the electrician cert he will put it to management for a replacement 32a controller to be sent to me.

Possible but unlikely I'd say.

There are 3 things which you need to rule out one by one before you go swapping out the controller...

- Car
    - Cable
    - Rolec

Plug the car into the AC43 of a rapid charger and see does it charge at 6kW. If it does then you know the car and its charger are good.

Try your cable on an eCars AC unit. If you only get 3kW there it means its your cable is the problem.
    If you get 6kW there it means your Rolec is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    Possible but unlikely I'd say.

There are 3 things which you need to rule out one by one before you go swapping out the controller...

- Car
    - Cable
    - Rolec

Plug the car into the AC43 of a rapid charger and see does it charge at 6kW. If it does then you know the car and its charger are good.

Try your cable on an eCars AC unit. If you only get 3kW there it means its your cable is the problem.
    If you get 6kW there it means your Rolec is the problem.

Ah the 43KW AC is a very good idea! can eliminate cable and charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 One Question

Ionised wrote: »
    Was asked earlier for a photo.

I thought I’d throw photo of mine in. It was €1100, and eventually got 600 back after some chasing. Charger was put in March I think.

I put the car on charge at Tesco clondalkin and it starting charging at 6.0kw straight away see attached photo. The electrician was back out tonight with the certs and he went through everything again and also thinking that it is the rolec charger. He will put the new controller in if rolec customer service send out a new one.
    Thanks all for the reply’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

How long does an SEAI grant take to be approved?

I'm buying a new car, and the dealer has applied for the grant on my behalf, but they've not been great for trying to get information out of them.

I have an application number as of a week ago. I'm trying to get organised with getting the charger installed in time for the car arriving, but I need to have the grant approved before I can book that in. Is there someone I can contact directly at SEAI with my application number without going through the dealer?

quokula wrote: »

I'm buying a new car, and the dealer has applied for the grant on my behalf, but they've not been great for trying to get information out of them.

I have an application number as of a week ago. I'm trying to get organised with getting the charger installed in time for the car arriving, but I need to have the grant approved before I can book that in. Is there someone I can contact directly at SEAI with my application number without going through the dealer?

Most likely approved same day. Dealer is probably waiting for fund transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I thought I’d throw photo of mine in. It was €1100, and eventually got 600 back after some chasing. Charger was put in March I think.

That looks really neat. Does it have an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

quokula wrote: »

Are you sure the dealer submitted your application. I thought the dealer gets the application ID and you make the submission. I wouldn’t have thought the dealer would get involved in the full application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

jp101 wrote: »
    Are you sure the dealer submitted your application. I thought the dealer gets the application ID and you make the submission. I wouldn’t have thought the dealer would get involved in the full application process.

This is what mine is doing. I signed the app and they’re sending it off (supposedly). Not sure if it’s a VW thing or not. Although it could be to get the id number and then I’ll enter in the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Most dealers don't get involved in the home charger application or grant process.
    The only grant he would be interested in is the 5K rebate from the SEAI for the purchase of the car. You should apply directly on the website and you don't need to fill in any numbers on the application. You will have the approval letter back in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

re tethered vs Untethered.

With an untethered cable - can I just leave it plugged in all the time? I live in the countryside so I don't have security issues.

I have a Type 1 car - but want to have the option to go Type 2 if I change cars in the future.

Any disadvantages with leaving the cable plugged in?

Do you have to prove that you own an electric car to qualify for the grant??
    Is there any rules against me putting a charging point in my house now (while the grant exists)...
    Maybe I’ll get a Tesla in future....!!!

Yes the grant is for EV owners only, dunno why but that's the way of it

Any works you get done before having the grant offer will not be eligible for the grant.

Now what you can do, and what several users have done, is to install the wiring for the charger when they're getting other work done. This is generally the more difficult part and is more cost efficient to get it done with other work if possible. You just need to be sure the wiring is up to the required standard for an EV charger

Once the wire is done to the required spec, you can terminate it outside and just fit a charger later when you purchase an EV. The charger would be eligible for the grant assuming you've bought an EV and got the grant letter before purchasing the charger and getting an electrician to install it. It's likely the €600 would cover the cost of the charger and installation in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

twenty8 wrote: »

With an untethered cable - can I just leave it plugged in all the time? I live in the countryside so I don't have security issues.

Yes, perfectly fine.

twenty8 wrote: »

I have a Type 1 car - but want to have the option to go Type 2 if I change cars in the future.

Any disadvantages with leaving the cable plugged in?

I've been doing that for months and not had any issues. The plug is weatherproof once it's plugged in

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Hi all,
    I am looking for advice on a charger. I was thinking of a Zappi for possible future proofing on Solar, but with a hipped roof house and a large tree blocking the roof that might not be reasonable in the short term.
    What are your opinions on Zapppi alternatives, I will be buying through the company so no grant applicable.
    If you could point me in directions to buy i would appreciate it, I have a registered spark to install as a favour.
    cheers,
    RG

Hi all,
    I am looking for advice on a charger. I was thinking of a Zappi for possible future proofing on Solar, but with a hipped roof house and a large tree blocking the roof that might not be reasonable in the short term.
    What are your opinions on Zapppi alternatives, I will be buying through the company so no grant applicable.
    If you could point me in directions to buy i would appreciate it, I have a registered spark to install as a favour.
    cheers,
    RG

Depends if you want a basic plug and play job or an all signing, all dancing, smart, WiFi, app controlled charger. I didn’t, I have a basic plug in and charge set up.

You will never recoup the additional cost of a zappi, even with solar PV.
    Basic set ups include ABL, ROLEC units. EO and more.

Just make sure the correct fuse and cable is used to ensure 32a charging (7kw).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got the basic tethered EO charger installed this morning. Took about 3 hours total.

Just need to get a hook to hang the cable off now and I'm sorted.

Car delayed until next week though which is a pain in the hole :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gumbo wrote: »
    Depends if you want a basic plug and play job or an all signing, all dancing, smart, WiFi, app controlled charger. I didn’t, I have a basic plug in and charge set up.

You will never recoup the additional cost of a zappi, even with solar PV.
    Basic set ups include ABL, ROLEC units. EO and more.

100% this, all anyone needs is a “dumb” charger as the modern EV has all the settings required to smart charge at night rate etc.
    I installed a basic Podpoint when I got our first EV and it's 100%, now as I’m moving to a large PV array and as I never got the grant before (and now a two EV household) just got a Zappi 2 tethered which will basically cost me nothing as it’s a straight swap install and I’ll sell my old charge point and priority switch and have the grant approved.
    Whoever buys my Podpoint will get a cheap install as used units bought second hand also qualify for the grant, win win

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Can you get higher than 7Kw home chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Can you get higher than 7Kw home chargers?

If you have a 3 phase domestic supply then yes you can, however 3 phase domestic would be very rare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you have a 3 phase domestic supply then yes you can, however 3 phase domestic would be very rare.

And then the car has to have a 3 phase charger in it too.

The charger is in the car, the one you get installed at the house is just a fancy socket.

Probably the easiest way to check for a 3 phase supply of to look in the meter cabinet.
    If there is a single live wire (brown) then you're on single phase.
    If there are 3 live wires (brown, black & grey) then it's 3 phase

As you say, 3 phase domestic connections are rare, so if you have one then it's probably because you requested one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

graememk wrote: »

The charger is in the car, the one you get installed at the house is just a fancy socket.

Oh god, not this again

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Gumbo wrote: »

Im buying a new house that is "wired for an electric charger". I am. Meeting the builder to go through the specs
    How should the wiring be done to be correctly wired for a charger to allow charging at a decent rate at home. There is no electric shower. The heating is an air to water sysytme and mechanical ventilation. Apart from that pretty standard appliances in the house..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

newbie_diy wrote: »
    Im buying a new house that is "wired for an electric charger". I am. Meeting the builder to go through the specs
    How should the wiring be done to be correctly wired for a charger to allow charging at a decent rate at home. There is no electric shower. The heating is an air to water sysytme and mechanical ventilation. Apart from that pretty standard appliances in the house..

3 x 6mm and a Cat 6 from distribution board to charger location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Felexicon wrote: »
    3 x 6mm and a Cat 6 from distribution board to charger location

Great thanks..is there any specific requirements in the board?

Stupid question for my own knowledge but what is the cat 6 for?

Advertisement