Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Challenge accepted !

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

It's required if you dont provide your car SEAI application number with the initial Home Charger Grant application.

I hope a copy of it will suffice and that they don't expect you to send the original.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Their letter of offer says “Copy of...” so copy is fine...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I posted mine on 18th of September. Still waiting... I was told it was approved but the payment takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

I posted mine on 18th of September. Still waiting... I was told it was approved but the payment takes longer.

Ours took almost 10 weeks earlier in year in first lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Is there any building regs about the min height from the ground? In getting the vw charger on tue and would like to install under the window sill (1.5m)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just figured out my EO Mini is only charging at around 3.6KW here.

I was under the impression that the charger should charge at around 7KW per hour if there's no shower running so I'm not sure why it's limiting itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

TitianGerm wrote: »

I was under the impression that the charger should charge at around 7KW per hour if there's no shower running so I'm not sure why it's limiting itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

Looks to be the same 40A trip as mine, so that looks fine.
    Only other suggestion is to toggle reduced charging switch on car screen to ensure its not in reduced charging mode. And check your tethered cable is a 32A one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anyone have any ideas?

Likely an issue with the charging cable used are you sure it will provide 7.2kw

eagerv wrote: »
    Looks to be the same 40A trip as mine, so that looks fine.
    Only other suggestion is to toggle reduced charging switch on car screen to ensure its not in reduced charging mode. And check your tethered cable is a 32A one.

I did the toggle charge option in the car and it reduces the speed to 9KM/H.

Added a photo of the cable.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Likely an issue with the charging cable used are you sure it will provide 7.2kw

It's a tethered EO Mini.

Car stopped charging here and when I unplugged the EO cable the light on the charger is staying on green so I think something is up with the charger as it's meant to be flashing blue when powered on but not connected.

It's a tethered EO Mini.

Car stopped charging here and when I unplugged the EO cable the light on the charger is staying on green so I think something is up with the charger as it's meant to be flashing blue when powered on but not connected.

Sorry I knew that cable should be fine then

That’s odd

I did the toggle charge option in the car and it reduces the speed to 9KM/H.

Added a photo of the cable.

I can't read that cable, but perhaps others can decipher?

I'd say a likely reason for your problem is as Cruisey said on the other thread, ie the settings in charger may not be correctly set up.

I can't read that cable, but perhaps others can decipher?

I'd say a likely reason for your problem is as Cruisey said on the other thread, ie the settings in charger may not be correctly set up.

Cable reads 3x6 + 1x0.75 and then 450/750V.

Edit: I've turned the charger off here and I'll have a look tomorrow in the daylight.

Cable reads 3x6 + 1x0.75 and then 450/750V.

Thanks, I could see that but just don't understand it..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Anyone have any ideas?

Did it charge at 7.2kWh at any time? If it has always charged at 3.6kWh you may need to adjust the max current setting within the charger.
    This is located in the main body of the charger so you would need to power down and remove front cover.
    I can't think of the correct setting of the top of my head for 32 amps but should be able to put my hand in it if required

Felexicon wrote: »
    Did it charge at 7.2kWh at any time? If it has always charged at 3.6kWh you may need to adjust the max current setting within the charger.
    This is located in the main body of the charger so you would need to power down and remove front cover.
    I can't think of the correct setting of the top of my head for 32 amps but should be able to put my hand in it if required

This is only the second time I've used the charger and the first time I didn't take note of my starting % so couldn't calculate my charge rate.

If it's not raining tomorrow I'll open it up and have a look.

Thanks, I could see that but just don't understand it..:D

3 x 6mm cables (phase, neutral and earth)
    1 x 0.75mm cable (cp cable, this is what the car and charger use to communicate)

This is only the second time I've used the charger and the first time I didn't take note of my starting % so couldn't calculate my charge rate.

If it's not raining tomorrow I'll open it up and have a look.

You'll be looking for a little dial numbered 0 - 9 and A and B on it too.

Felexicon wrote: »
    You'll be looking for a little dial numbered 0 - 9 and A and B on it too.

Ok perfect. I think I need to turn the dial to "2" looking at the instructions attached above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Ok perfect. I think I need to turn the dial to "2" looking at the instructions attached above?

But hold on, you need to be sure that it has been wired to work at 32A. If the electrician specifically set it to 16A then you need to have a chat with him first before you going flipping it to 32A.

Now, if he simply forgot (or didnt know) that it was defaulted to 16A and he has it wired for 32A then all is good but you need to ask the question first.

e.g. I've no idea what your setup is but its possible he decided to limit it to 16A to spare you the expense of a priority switch. Flipping it to 32A could cause issues with other high power devices in the house.

KCross wrote: »
    But hold on, you need to be sure that it has been wired to work at 32A. If the electrician specifically set it to 16A then you need to have a chat with him first before you going flipping it to 32A.

Now, if he simply forgot (or didnt know) that it was defaulted to 16A and he has it wired for 32A then all is good but you need to ask the question first.

e.g. I've no idea what your setup is but its possible he decided to limit it to 16A to spare you the expense of a priority switch. Flipping it to 32A could cause issues with other high power devices in the house.

Pretty sure the black box he pictured is the load monitor

If it was me, I would also be having a chat with the electrician, telling him/her that it's not charging at correct speed. Presume atm the slower charging speed is not too much hassle?

KCross wrote: »

He suggested an ALM (I think that's the abbreviation?). Said the charger would automatically lower the charge rate if the electric shower was on with this installed. And I'm pretty sure he told me it would charge at 7kw.

I've added the photo of the boxes he added beside the fuseboard.

If it was me, I would also be having a chat with the electrician, telling him/her that it's not charging at correct speed. Presume atm the slower charging speed is not too much hassle?

Nope no hassle.

Just going to keep posts about my charger issue here rather than the ID3 thread.

Added photos of the wire entering the grey box and the rating on it.

I left this grey switch off all night to see if the EO would reboot itself. Have plugged it in now and it seems to be charging but I'll check in a few minutes to make sure that continues.

I am hearing a bit of a buzz coming from the grey box (isolator switch?) though that I don't remember hearing before. Should this be happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Just got my first phev, a bmw 330e.
    I have sent off for the grant, and just got confirmation back.
    Is there any particular chargers i should avoid or definitely get?
    I dont have right now, but will in the future be getting a solar pv system, so one that can make use of that would be best ( i assume).
    I was speaking to an installer last week, he was suggesting a zappi one, tethered.
    Tethered does sound easier instead of having to get the lead from the boot every time i came back to the house.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

Just going to keep posts about my charger issue here rather than the ID3 thread.

Added photos of the wire entering the grey box and the rating on it.

I left this grey switch off all night to see if the EO would reboot itself. Have plugged it in now and it seems to be charging but I'll check in a few minutes to make sure that continues.

I am hearing a bit of a buzz coming from the grey box (isolator switch?) though that I don't remember hearing before. Should this be happening?

Cheers for the pics. Your isolation switch is rated correctly so no issue there. It’s a shame you can’t see more of the black outer PVC sheath on the cable because it’s impossible to see what size is printed on it. The cable looks big enough to be 6sq but hard to tell from the pic.

Irishjg wrote: »
    Cheers for the pics. Your isolation switch is rated correctly so no issue there. It’s a shame you can’t see more of the black outer PVC sheath on the cable because it’s impossible to see what size is printed on it. The cable looks big enough to be 6sq but hard to tell from the pic.

The cable runs through the hot press and I had a good look at it in there but there doesn't appear to be anything printed on it as far as I can see.

Should the isolator buzz when connected to the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

phill106 wrote: »
    Just got my first phev, a bmw 330e.
    I have sent off for the grant, and just got confirmation back.
    Is there any particular chargers i should avoid or definitely get?
    I dont have right now, but will in the future be getting a solar pv system, so one that can make use of that would be best ( i assume).
    I was speaking to an installer last week, he was suggesting a zappi one, tethered.
    Tethered does sound easier instead of having to get the lead from the boot every time i came back to the house.
    thanks

I've got an EO Mini untethered but I've decided to upgrade to a Zappi for similar reasons to what you mentioned and the Zappi has a built-in load monitoring.

They're pricey, and to be frank it's pretty unlikely you'll make back the added cost of one by charging a phev from solar. But they do seem like a good package

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement