Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I’ve contacted quite a few companies and am being quoted 1500,1600 to install an EV charger.

Seems like quite a lot of money, why is it so expensive? I’m getting the feeling there is huge profit margins in installing these chargers?

Is this the same for everyone else yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Chumpski wrote: »
    I’ve contacted quite a few companies and am being quoted 1500,1600 to install an EV charger.

Seems like quite a lot of money, why is it so expensive? I’m getting the feeling there is huge profit margins in installing these chargers?

Is this the same for everyone else yeah?

I paid around €540 for an install back in February. And folk even said that was on the high side....

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I paid around €540 for an install back in February. And folk even said that was on the high side....

Is that after you subtracted the 600 grant?

We have a tricky install in a terraced house but the prices quoted so far seem insane.

Chumpski wrote: »
    Is that after you subtracted the 600 grant?

We have a tricky install in a terraced house but the prices quoted so far seem insane.

No, that was the price I paid the installer, bought my own charge unit for €530, so total price (after grant) was about €470

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Can anyone recommend a Zappi installer around Dublin?

I'm replacing an existing charger so it should be a straight swap out.

I would imagine any electrician can manage that but would prefer one with experience installing a Zappi if possible

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can anyone recommend a Zappi installer around Dublin?

I'm replacing an existing charger so it should be a straight swap out.

I would imagine any electrician can manage that but would prefer one with experience installing a Zappi if possible

When I got my PV setup last month I had my existing charge point replaced, it is extremely straightforward, just needed the cable to go via an isolator and then short run into Zappi, all of half an hour and done.
    Just letting you know as guidance.
    If you are in any way DIY and don't want an isolator then it's like wiring a socket and will take no more than 15-20minutes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    When I got my PV setup last month I had my existing charge point replaced, it is extremely straightforward, just needed the cable to go via an isolator and then short run into Zappi, all of half an hour and done.
    If you are in any way DIY and don't want an isolator then it's like wiring a socket and will take no more than 15-20minutes

Yeah I'd be tempted to do it myself, especially since I've got an isolator nearby it should be very straightforward

I'll still check around though, since I want to fit an outdoor socket on that circuit as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

slave1 wrote: »
    Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment installation should not be considered to be a DIY task. Frankly that's dangerous advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

No, that was the price I paid the installer, bought my own charge unit for €530, so total price (after grant) was about €470

Oh this one I wasn't aware - can you claim the cost of a used charger through the grant too?

yannakis wrote: »
    Oh this one I wasn't aware - can you claim the cost of a used charger through the grant too?

I believe you can yes,

as long as the combined cost of charger & installation is over €600, you'll get the full €600 entitlement back. (so even if installation was €600, the charger or when/where you bought it wouldn't even come into play).

If your total outlay is €500 for charger and install, that's what you'll get back.

• Advertisement

yannakis wrote: »

I believe someone here has done it, as long as you have some sort of receipt for it showing how much you paid

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment installation should not be considered to be a DIY task. Frankly that's dangerous advice.

It isn't installation it's replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

The circuit is in place - just replacing the unit..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I believe someone here has done it, as long as you have some sort of receipt for it showing how much you paid

Yep I done it. No receipt required.
    Bought ABL charger on Facebook for €200.
    Paid sparks €100 to check and connect and both ends and certify.
    RCBO and wiring cost about €60-€70 from memory.
    I ran it myself during renovations.

Got €600 back from SEAI.

It isn't installation it's replacement
    Replacement is still installation. The new EVSE will be installed.

Replacement is still installation. The new EVSE will be installed.

I don’t think we need to get into this argument again. Some say it’s an appliance. Some not. Some say a particular RCBO is required, others say that’s wrong. Some say it’s against the law, some don’t.

Bottom line, it’s like replacing a socket. There’s 3 wires to connect. I swapped my charger 3 times myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Intodeep

I’ve a brand new Tesla wall charger bought 6 weeks ago but never installed- still in box and have the receipt- I ended up going for a Zappi. Where do you reckon the best place is to sell it? Thanks

Intodeep wrote: »
    I’ve a brand new Tesla wall charger bought 6 weeks ago but never installed- still in box and have the receipt- I ended up going for a Zappi. Where do you reckon the best place is to sell it? Thanks

There's a for sale forum here, also boardsies very own adverts.ie

There's a lot of sarcastic comments about how everyone on facebook marketplace overpays for everything, so maybe that's a good place to start :)

I nearly bought one adverts for €200 3 months ago and missed it by 5 mins.
    I’m using the UMC at present through the commands socket (32a charging).

How much you looking for it?
    I’m just about to order a QUBEV 32a charger from Amazon for the parents so could consider yours if prices right.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

Will Tesla just take it back?

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I nearly bought one adverts for €200 3 months ago and missed it by 5 mins.
    I’m using the UMC at present through the commands socket (32a charging).

How much you looking for it?
    I’m just about to order a QUBEV 32a charger from Amazon for the parents so could consider yours if prices right.

I paid €521 on 21st Oct. Looking for a reasonable offer near that - as it’s as delivered

finneys13 wrote: »
    Will Tesla just take it back?

I think I need to have returned it with in 4 weeks. I figure someone will need one and they are often out of stock

Some say a particular RCBO is required, others say that’s wrong.
    Anyone who suggests that this is wrong clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. Depending on the particular characteristics of the actual EVSE will have an effect on the type of RCD protection required. If there is no 6mA DC leakage protection then it must be a (very expensive) Type B RCD. Otherwise at a minimum it must be Type A. It must also be dedicated for each and every EVSE (i.e. not shared with anything else, including any other EVSE). There is an entire Section in the Special Locations part of the Wiring Rules dealing with Supplies for Electric Vehicles. All of this must be complied with, in addition to all other general aspects of the Wiring Rules. Obviously the RCD would also need to be verified in order to prove that it is operating within its specification.

Trust me, it's not a DIY job - and it is abhorrent and entirely irresponsible to suggest that it is.

Anyone who suggests that this is wrong clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. Depending on the particular characteristics of the actual EVSE will have an effect on the type of RCD protection required. If there is no 6mA DC leakage protection then it must be a (very expensive) Type B RCD. Otherwise at a minimum it must be Type A. It must also be dedicated for each and every EVSE (i.e. not shared with anything else, including any other EVSE). There is an entire Section in the Special Locations part of the Wiring Rules dealing with Supplies for Electric Vehicles. All of this must be complied with, in addition to all other general aspects of the Wiring Rules. Obviously the RCD would also need to be verified in order to prove that it is operating within its specification.

Trust me, it's not a DIY job - and it is abhorrent and entirely irresponsible to suggest that it is.

Let’s be clear, I’m not talking about a fresh install, and not once did I suggest that.
    I’m talking about an already installed unit being swapped for another unit.

Kill the power in the fuse board.
    Disconnect the existing charge point.
    Fit new one and connect wires.
    Turn back on at the consumer unit.
    No new works around the CU are taking place.

There’s been people on here that posted about particular RCBO’s being wrong in the past, there’s obviously interpretation out there, or that may just have coincided with the removal of ET101 and new IS10101.

I paid €521 on 21st Oct. Looking for a reasonable offer near that - as it’s as delivered

Should try return it, if even for store credit.
    My opinion is you won’t get €500 for one now, the new version is due out and they are prone to trouble.

Let’s be clear, I’m not talking about a fresh install, and not once did I suggest that.
    I’m talking about an already installed unit being swapped for another unit.

Kill the power in the fuse board.
    Disconnect the existing charge point.
    Fit new one and connect wires.
    Turn back on at the consumer unit.
    No new works around the CU are taking place.

There’s been people on here that posted about particular RCBO’s being wrong in the past, there’s obviously interpretation out there, or that may just have coincided with the removal of ET101 and new IS10101.

The special locations section is identical for EVSEs in both ET101 and I.S. 10101. It's not open to interpretation.

The special locations section is identical for EVSEs in both ET101 and I.S. 10101. It's not open to interpretation.

Same old argument.

I posted the type of RCBO my electrician put it before and another poster said it was the wrong one. Yet mine was installed and certified by a electrician for the grant.

Some say an isolation switch required, some don’t. Again, interpretation.

Only recently we had KN saying they didn’t require an isolation switch outside on here as there interpretation differed from another.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

I am not sure if this question is answered already. Is it possible to connect EV charger directly to meter board?

If yes Pros and Cons?

If No, is there a modification to make it possible.

Summer8181 wrote: »
    I am not sure if this question is answered already. Is it possible to connect EV charger directly to meter board?

If yes Pros and Cons?

If No, is there a modification to make it possible.

By meter board you mean the ESB meter?

Short answer, yes, but with complications

You can't connect it directly into the meter, you'd need to add another board beside the meter box with 2 connections, one for the EV charger and one for your house

The house fuse board then becomes a sub board of the fuse board outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

By meter board you mean the ESB meter?

Short answer, yes, but with complications

You can't connect it directly into the meter, you'd need to add another board beside the meter box with 2 connections, one for the EV charger and one for your house

The house fuse board then becomes a sub board of the fuse board outside

If you do this then you need to connect all supplementary bonding to the new board as this is now your main board (rod,gas cylinder etc) to comply with regulations.

Advertisement