Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

KCross wrote: »
    It does but only if its used between two Tesla wall chargers. They share a set amount of amps between them.

Oh cool, then it should be fine to use a second Tesla wall charger

Will they split the charging current or does one get priority?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

Thanks for the replies, yes, two Tesla chargers can load share, but will be about 3.5 KW from each when running together. So that's why I am thinking of just a 16A commando plug, also give me about 3.5 KW and I can use it for other uses as needed. And much cheaper.

Some way that the Tesla charger and 16A commando could load share would be much the simplest for me. Don't particularly want to limit my Tesla charger to 16A all the time though.

Otherwise I would have to decide between two Tesla chargers or a 16A (or even 32A if sparks happy with that) commando connected back to the fuseboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Oh cool, then it should be fine to use a second Tesla wall charger
    Will they split the charging current or does one get priority?

They share the load.
    finneys13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, yes, two Tesla chargers can load share, but will be about 3.5 KW from each when running together. So that's why I am thinking of just a 16A commando plug, also give me about 3.5 KW and I can use it for other uses as needed. And much cheaper.

Some way that the Tesla charger and 16A commando could load share would be much the simplest for me. Don't particularly want to limit my Tesla charger to 16A all the time though.

Otherwise I would have to decide between two Tesla chargers or a 16A (or even 32A if sparks happy with that) commando connected back to the fuseboard

The downside of having a commando socket is that you cant auto load share with the Tesla wall connector then and will have to manage it manually.

Much handier to come home with both cars and plug both of them in knowing that its safe to do so and both will be charged by morning without you having to do or think about anything.

It is more expensive alright though to get two charge points so thats a personal decision for you. The convenience would justify it for me particularly since its a long term thing, not just something for a few years.

KCross wrote: »
    They share the load.

The downside of having a commando socket is that you cant auto load share with the Tesla wall connector then and will have to manage it manually.

Much handier to come home with both cars and plug both of them in knowing that its safe to do so and both will be charged by morning without you having to do or think about anything.

It is more expensive alright though to get two charge points so thats a personal decision for you. The convenience would justify it for me particularly since its a long term thing, not just something for a few years.

At a push, the present Tesla charger could be set to 16A (or 20A as the fuse breaker is 40A I think, will double check).

Need to think about it and will talk to the charger installer I used before tomorrow too. I like the idea of a commando plug outside for other temporary uses possibly (like Christmas lights).

Finances not an issue really unless choosing between rough equivalents

finneys13 wrote: »
    At a push, the present Tesla charger could be set to 16A (or 20A as the fuse breaker is 40A I think, will double check).

Need to think about it and will talk to the charger installer I used before tomorrow too. I like the idea of a commando plug outside for other temporary uses possibly (like Christmas lights).

Finances not an issue really unless choosing between rough equivalents

Do the Tesla chargers monitor the current load on the circuit using a separate CT clamp? If that's the case then you can have it both ways and fit both an outdoor socket and a second charger

If they just use internal current monitors then the above probably won't work because they won't know when the outdoor socket is being used

If you have the money, I'd go for a second charger, it's more convenient and when one car finishes charging the other will have the full 7kW available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Intodeep

If you’re buying a second Tesla charger I have a brand new one never unpacked out of the box. Bought in October but installed a Zappi. Could do you a good price on it.

Do the Tesla chargers monitor the current load on the circuit using a separate CT clamp? If that's the case then you can have it both ways and fit both an outdoor socket and a second charger

If they just use internal current monitors then the above probably won't work because they won't know when the outdoor socket is being used

If you have the money, I'd go for a second charger, it's more convenient and when one car finishes charging the other will have the full 7kW available

Instructions describe a terminal block, nothing about CT clamp. Hopefully the charger installers will have more answers tomorrow

Intodeep wrote: »
    If you’re buying a second Tesla charger I have a brand new one never unpacked out of the box. Bought in October but installed a Zappi. Could do you a good price on it.

Will DM you, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Watching a vid on youtube recently, an electrician there shows the jobs he does, fits lots of chargers. Recently replaced his own Zappi with a Tesla.(He uses tesla as his work vehicle) Within 24 hours he went back to zappi. Not happy with the safety of the Tesla charger, compared to zappi.
    I know nothing about sparky things (blue is live, innit?). Draw your own conclusions.
    https://youtu.be/ztc7-q2n53w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Dohvolle wrote: »
    I know nothing about sparky things (blue is live, innit?). Draw your own conclusions.
    Brown (L1), black (L2), grey (L3) and blue (N) are all live conductors. Live conductors include phase conductors and the neutral conductor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There’s nothing unsafe about a Tesla charge point, it’s a simple dumb Chargepoint that is being compared to the darling of the charge point market, the Zappi 2 which is all bells and whistles.
    Tesla charge points are very well priced for what they offer which is load balancing if there is another Tesla charge point installed, 3 phase ready, tethered and ability to open a Tesla car flap to access the charge port, oh and the look incredibly cool.
    Like any other dumb charge point they do not monitor the house load so if you have the likes of an electric shower you will need a priority switch, that is all you will need as all RCD protection etc per any other plug in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Brown (L1), black (L2), grey (L3) and blue (N) are all live conductors. Live conductors include phase conductors and the neutral conductor.

I think you missed the joke (sarcasm) there......

Gumbo wrote: »
    I think you missed the joke (sarcasm) there......

No. I pointed out that the joke was wrong as blue actually is live, along with other colours. It's you who this has gone over the head of.

No. I pointed out that the joke was wrong as blue actually is live, along with other colours. It's you who this has gone over the head of.

No, you missed the joke. Big time.

No, you missed the joke. Big time.

No. You just proved that you know nothing about the subject at hand.

No. You just proved that you know nothing about the subject at hand.

Which was the joke. Oh dear. This is not going well for you at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

as blue actually is live, along with other colours. It's you who this has gone over the head of.

Blue is live now?
    I thought it was neutral?

Up is down, black is white.............what a time to be alive :D.

Kids, electricity is dangerous. Don't mess with it unless you are a highly trained & qualified electrician.

Kramer wrote: »
    Blue is live now?

Kids, electricity is dangerous. Don't mess with it unless you are a highly trained & qualified electrician.

Everyone knows brown is earth, like the colour of earth.
    Live is the green and yellow one. Because orange stripes mean danger.
    Blue is Neutral, because of it's calming effect.
    Did I mention I'm also colourblind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Did I mention I'm also colourblind?

Simple test to confirm..........

What number do you see?

color-blind-red-green-330x330.png?fm=jpg&q=80

Simple test to confirm..........

What number do you see?

color-blind-red-green-330x330.png?fm=jpg&q=80

Unless you want me to count the dots, none.

Blue is live now?

I'm fairly sure that excludes most RECI electricians from performing electrical works :P

• Advertisement

Blue is live now?
    Neutral IS A LIVE CONDUCTOR.

You are mixing up the terms phase conductor (or line conductor) and live conductor. They are not the same thing. You need to look up the definitions.

"Live conductor:

"Conductor or conductive part intended to be energised in normal use, including a neutral conductor, but by convention not a PEN conductor or PEM conductor or PEL conductor."

Source: I.S. 10101:2020

I did warn you not to get involved in a debate which you cannot win. I have qualifications in the Design of electrical installations. I know the ETCI/NSAI Rules (and IET Regulations) like the back of my hand.

Neutral IS A LIVE CONDUCTOR.

You are mixing up the terms phase conductor (or line conductor) and live conductor. They are not the same thing. You need to look up the definitions.

"Live conductor:

"Conductor or conductive part intended to be energised in normal use, including a neutral conductor, but by convention not a PEN conductor or PEM conductor or PEL conductor."

Source: I.S. 10101:2020

I did warn you not to get involved in a debate which you cannot win. I have qualifications in the Design of electrical installations. I know the ETCI/NSAI Rules (and IET Regulations) like the back of my hand.

And again, common sense and sarcasm are lost on you.
    If you can’t see the joke and the trolling of your posts in the above posts then best to get your head out of the books and have a read of reality and when you know them like the back of your hand then come back for a bit of banter.

Anyway, I’m off to swap out my third EV charger now. Same as an outdoor socket. Simple.

Anyway, I’m off to swap out my third EV charger now. Same as an outdoor socket. Simple.
    Enjoy your stay in Portlaoise.

Enjoy your stay in Portlaoise.

Won’t be there long. I’ll have it swapped out in 20 mins.
    Have to get back home before inter county travel is banned again.

Some bright spark decided a new wave of lock down is required.

No good Electrician will discount you for running a cable (which you shouldn't have run). These are Restricted Electrical Works.

To further expand on this, electricians will need to get used to the cable run being in place. The new Part L Building Regulations will require the provisions to be put in for future EV charging and to enable the fitting of a EC charge point.

This to me means builders will be allowing space on the consumer unit and running the cable for future connection.

Won’t be there long. I’ll have it swapped out in 20 mins.
    Have to get back home before inter county travel is banned again.

Some bright spark decided a new wave of lock down is required.

Want to help me attach some solar panels to my roof and wire them to an inverter and a diy lithium battery while you're at it :)

Want to help me attach some solar panels to my roof and wire them to an inverter and a diy lithium battery while you're at it :)

I have some spare coax I found lying around if you want to help you wire it up.

Thanks. I've spare external extension cord i bought in Woodies for the Xmas lights that should o the trick. Its IP rated.

Cool, I was going to wire the output of the inverter to a socket, that should work right? :D

Also, the green and yellow wire is optional right, I don't need to connect it to anything, do I? :P

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've spare external extension cord i bought in Woodies for the Xmas lights that should o the trick. Its IP rated.

Sure that'll do to wire your EV charger onto, what could go wrong? :)

Advertisement