Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Sure that'll do to wire your EV charger onto, what could go wrong? :)

I have some old speaker cable you could use for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Gumbo wrote: »
    To further expand on this, electricians will need to get used to the cable run being in place. The new Part L Building Regulations will require the provisions to be put in for future EV charging and to enable the fitting of a EC charge point.

This to me means builders will be allowing space on the consumer unit and running the cable for future connection.

This is already fairly common in most new builds.
    I've installed plenty of charge points on them.
    Can't see why anyone would have an issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

This to me means builders will be allowing space on the consumer unit and running the cable for future connection.
    Builders most certainly shall not be. The law is incredibly clear that anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) would be committing a criminal act.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Felexicon wrote: »
    This is already fairly common in most new builds.
    I've installed plenty of charge points on them.
    Can't see why anyone would have an issue with that.

I know at least one poster that would have a problem with it :D

I had to beg builders to put them in over the years and explain the small cost now would save so much hassle for the future owners not having to pull cable through their new house.

New apartments now have the ducting in place which is a step in the right direction.
    Risteard81 wrote: »
    Builders most certainly shall not be. The law is incredibly clear that anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) would be committing a criminal act.

Agh FFS, just cop on will you. Your just trolling now.
    These are new builds built by contractors to the most up to date standard so I’m pretty certain they will be done correct an nobody will be committing a criminal act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

hint... The block layer isnt running the cable! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Anyway, I’m off to swap out my third EV charger now. Same as an outdoor socket. Simple.

giphy.gif

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Neutral IS A LIVE CONDUCTOR.
    I did warn you not to get involved in a debate which you cannot win. I have qualifications in the Design of electrical installations. I know the ETCI/NSAI Rules (and IET Regulations) like the back of my hand.

I wish you'd warned me in fairness :(.
    I did once know a masterdebater - he went on to be an electricity fitter too.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    I have some old speaker cable you could use for that.

Oh come on. That's entirely unsuitable :rolleyes:.
    No, bell wire is what you want. Single strand solid core. Just double insulate it & use a 64 amplifer IP rated ELCB RCD glass fuse (12v - halfords have them, they're green).
    Enjoy your stay in Portlaoise.

giphy.gif

You can limit the current draw on a zappi to what ever you like.

Personally mine is wired in cat 5 and the current is limited to 100milliamps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Kramer wrote: »

Oh come on. That's entirely unsuitable :rolleyes:.
    No, bell wire is what you want. Single strand solid core. Just double insulate it & use a 64 amplifer IP rated ELCB RCD glass fuse (12v - halfords have them, they're green).
    When you say "double insulate" do you mean wrap the original wire in 2 layers of insulation tape?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Ok guys, stop winding up the electrician! Risteard81, this is a consumer level thread if you want to debate regulations/requirements do it in the Electrical forum, if you feel a post may be in breach of protected works report it rather than quote regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This may have been asked before but can you get a home charger more than 7kw if your car can take that

Gael23 wrote: »
    This may have been asked before but can you get a home charger more than 7kw if your car can take that

Only if you have 3 phase power. Then you have the option of 11kW charging (if the car supports it).

Some can go higher again but rare. 3ph 11kW will become very common in EVs but getting that installed at home is not trivial.

KCross wrote: »
    Only if you have 3 phase power. Then you have the option of 11kW charging (if the car supports it).

Some can go higher again but rare. 3ph 11kW will become very common in EVs but getting that installed at home is not trivial.

Unless I’m mistaken which is possible, the new Nissan Ariya will take 22kw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

KCross wrote: »

A 22kW EVSE is common for three-phase installations.

A 22kW EVSE is common for three-phase installations.

I know. The question was for a home installation though.

3ph is rare in this country for domestic installs.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Unless I’m mistaken which is possible, the new Nissan Ariya will take 22kw

Thats possible, I havent look at its sepc. The Zoe can also take 22kW and some Tesla's too but in all cases you would need 3 phase to be able to charge at those rates and crucially also have a 29kVA connection to support it.... single phase 12kVA is a standard domestic connection..... moving up to 3 phase 29kVA is not trivial for a domestic scenario.

The bmw wallbox supports 3 phase 22kw charging I sold mine for €250 recently.
    Once the car can take it of course like some Tesla Model S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zappi 2 has a 3 phase model too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Down at my in laws and my wife will hopefully be up and down here a lot more when things get back to normal, we could do with a charge point down here if she is coming along .

The good news is that the fuse board is in the utility very close to the outside of the house so an install should be easy.

Bad news is I can’t get a grant for this one so needs to be cheap as possible ! What’s the cheapest load balancing charger i could get ? And I’ll try get a local sparks to fit .

This is there fuse board presume shouldn’t have an issue house was a new build 25 years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why can't you get a grant for it? As long as the MPRN hasn't already been used for a grant (and there's no charge point there so I assume it hasn't) it should be possible, I think. It also doesn't matter that it's not your house as long as you have the owners permission.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    Why can't you get a grant for it? As long as the MPRN hasn't already been used for a grant (and there's no charge point there so I assume it hasn't) it should be possible, I think. It also doesn't matter that it's not your house as long as you have the owners permission.

Car is registered to my home address I think that’s the issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

That's a 32 amp cable alright, should have no problem charging as 6.6kW. Still worth checking on a public charger just to be sure.

Sounds like you might have got a dud rolec, or a dud cable

Just a quick update and you were spot on after a bit of running around got the 32amp controller replaced and now charging at 7.2kw.

The old and new controller attached

Cyrus wrote: »
    Down at my in laws and my wife will hopefully be up and down here a lot more when things get back to normal, we could do with a charge point down here if she is coming along .

The good news is that the fuse board is in the utility very close to the outside of the house so an install should be easy.

Bad news is I can’t get a grant for this one so needs to be cheap as possible ! What’s the cheapest load balancing charger i could get ? And I’ll try get a local sparks to fit .

This is there fuse board presume shouldn’t have an issue house was a new build 25 years ago .

Could you change address for a period during the grant application?

Certainly could , that’s an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

I'm assuming it's not possible to get a grant if buying through the business?

So I suppose the follow on question is does anyone know of any company offering an untethered charger with priority switch or load balancing installed for 900 or less ?

I know ei do the eo mini tethered but I’d rather something neater .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Aph2016 wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's not possible to get a grant if buying through the business?

No, but you can claim the full cost of the charger against tax under ACA. I'm assuming you're self employed, which means you just need to have a chat with your accountant. Obviously if you're an employee you'll need to get your boss to agree to it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Cyrus wrote: »
    So I suppose the follow on question is does anyone know of any company offering an untethered charger with priority switch or load balancing installed for 900 or less ?

I know ei do the eo mini tethered but I’d rather something neater .

No, not for €900 or less that I’ve seen on my hunt.
    I done the same for my house and currently doing the search for my parents.

Where is the best place to buy the charger unit, or does that depend on what you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

Got a quote off a crowd but they won’t upgrade the fusebox tails. With all the Christmas rush I’ve forgotten why they wouldn’t do that themselves.

Do I get the ESB to do this or an electrician to do it first and then the ESB to verify it? Currently an electric ireland customer too. Not sure why the installer can’t do it themselves. Would prefer the installer to just do the whole job.

Advertisement