Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a particular red wine

• 08-02-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

The name is La conda it a red wine from Chile

I came across it when in a resturaunt and it was just made for me. The problem is I have searched the web and cannot find it anywhere!

The only ay I can buy it without driving miles to that resturaunt is to buy it from the wholesalers which will only sell me 10 cases!!!

Is it normal to ask a resturaunt to sell you say a couple of cases of there stock ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,814 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I know King Sitric in Howth have signs up for purchasing some of their wines to take home... have never seen it done elsewhere, in Dublin at least.

If it's a brand that is 'for restaurant trade' only, I'd say they'd be doubly hesitant... sometimes you can get lucky and find the off licence version of the wine which is basically the same wine with a different label. But that doesn't seem to be the setup here.

No harm in asking at the end of your next meal there, wait for a quiet time in the restaurant and chance it...

If only you knew someone going to and from Latvia!
    http://www.spiritsandwine.lv/en/red-wine/la-conda-chile-merlot-347/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

odyssey06 wrote: »
    sometimes you can get lucky and find the off licence version of the wine which is basically the same wine with a different label.

I read something about this before, would it be worth taking a bottle to a reputale off licence and asking them if they would have it with a different label ?

I never would have thought it would be so hard to find and buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Merlot

I read something about this before, would it be worth taking a bottle to a reputale off licence and asking them if they would have it with a different label ?
    I never would have thought it would be so hard to find and buy.

I'd say they'd be reluctant to divulge supplier info like that... I think you could bring it and ask if they have something similar, but that'd probably only work if the wine is a specific grape or mentions a specific site on the back label and so there's unlikely to be many of them on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From the looks of it, it's a wine designed for the trade & restaurant market. A mass market crowd pleaser that sells high volumes & low cost.

If you could find out the name of the winery that makes it, perhaps you identify other wines they make and which sell in retail. It's probably made by a mass-volume manufacturer (especially likely as it comes from Central Valley)

OP, have you tried many Chilean Merlots? Suggestions below for backup options in case you draw a blank on the La Conda.

I know it's not the particular wine you are looking for, but if you are in Dunnes, I think the 35 South Merlot (Chilean) is lovely.

Also, keep an eye out for this award winning Chilean Merlot...
    http://www.martinsofflicence.ie/wine/country/chile/montes-classic-series-colchagua-merlot/

Advertisement