Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a dog with one already

Options
  • 08-02-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭

Just to give some background.
    My partner and myself have a French bulldog (about 9 months old) honestly he is terrific and not much bother at all, had him house trained within a few days and sleeping from 11 to 8 within about a week. I work flexi and partner does shifts, so longest he would really be left alone would be 6 hours max maybe a few times a week and he spends that sleeping (I have a camera so can check) (and he gets lots of walks!).
    We also have a really excellent dog minder who we use occasionally (I would say about 5 overnights in last 6 months).

We are now considering adopting another male french bulldog, he is 3 years old (has had snip) and a couple are looking to give him a new home as there has been a change in circumstances.

First of all are we mad to even consider taking another dog? Would this upset the apple cart with our existing dog? Are there questions you folks would recommend asking? Any personal experience? my partner is fairly clued in when it comes to dogs but this is all pretty new to me.

We are meeting the current owners and dog this weekend for a walk to see how they get on and discuss if we might be a good fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

gmisk wrote: »
    Just to give some background.
    My partner and myself have a French bulldog (about 9 months old) honestly he is terrific and not much bother at all, had him house trained within a few days and sleeping from 11 to 8 within about a week. I work flexi and partner does shifts, so longest he would really be left alone would be 6 hours max maybe a few times a week and he spends that sleeping (I have a camera so can check) (and he gets lots of walks!).
    We also have a really excellent dog minder who we use occasionally (I would say about 5 overnights in last 6 months).

We are now considering adopting another male french bulldog, he is 3 years old (has had snip) and a couple are looking to give him a new home as there has been a change in circumstances.

First of all are we mad to even consider taking another dog? Would this upset the apple cart with our existing dog? Are there questions you folks would recommend asking? Any personal experience? my partner is fairly clued in when it comes to dogs but this is all pretty new to me.

We are meeting the current owners and dog this weekend for a walk to see how they get on and discuss if we might be a good fit.

Not mad at all. We have two and they get on great. Keep each other company during the day.
    We found that it's not much more work having two dogs instead of one.
    Walkies is actually easier. Throw a frisbee and they tire each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

eezipc wrote: »
    Not mad at all. We have two and they get on great. Keep each other company during the day.
    We found that it's not much more work having two dogs instead of one.
    Walkies is actually easier. Throw a frisbee and they tire each other out.
    Thanks so much, that is very reassuring!

I think we are prepared when it comes to doubling the food, insurnace poo pickups etc.
    I just know I would be heartbroken if they don't get along! so hopefully they click this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Be sure you have the two meet on neutral territory, don't bring the new dog in your home to meet for the first time. The local park is a good meet and greet spot, just make sure they aren't on flexi-leads, standard flat leads only! Also, remove high value things initially from the home, such as access to toys or food so there is nothing to argue over while they are getting to know each other, make sure there is more than one bed. Is your existing Frenchie neutered? If not, I occasionally see neutered dogs having problems with dogs that aren't neutered, just something to be aware of.

...otherwise, I completely encourage that you go for it lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

A little tip we learnt when meeting up with prospective friends for Brendan, rub your dogs nose properly, try and get as much scent on your hand as possible, then let the other dog smell it. Walk the dogs parallel to each other but far enough apart so that they can not make contact (just in case)
    For Bren and Lucy, it took a week for them to properly bond, there was a few issues at the beginning, playing going to far and teeth being shown etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

The only thing I would say is try to get a clear idea of why he is being rehomed. i know you are saying it's a change in circumstances - and if it's someone you know well - you will know those circumstances, but if it isn't someone you know well, they may well say "change in circumstances" rather than say the dog has behviour issues because we didn't put the work in to train him.

caveate - if you know the people you will know the truth and I may just be very cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I think I might have seen the dog your looking at adopting. We thought about it too but timing isn't right. If you have a french bulldog you probably know about some of the health problems, that would be my concern with adopting one. I'd want to see him a few times before committing. See how he runs, his breathing and his skin. Lot of the breathing problems can be internal rather than just due to nostril opening so get a good look (and listen) at him. Best of luck if you do go ahead with it, if it's the same dog he looks like a lovely one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

hairyslug wrote: »
    A little tip we learnt when meeting up with prospective friends for Brendan, rub your dogs nose properly, try and get as much scent on your hand as possible, then let the other dog smell it. Walk the dogs parallel to each other but far enough apart so that they can not make contact (just in case)
    For Bren and Lucy, it took a week for them to properly bond, there was a few issues at the beginning, playing going to far and teeth being shown etc

This is true. Our first dog did take a month or so to actually interact with the new pup. There were no fights, she was just very wary. But now they are inseparable. So much that they get very stressed if one of them is not around.
    So give the dogs time and they will eventually get used to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

First meeting should definitely be on neutral ground.
    If they seem to get on well initially, I would recommend the new dog coming to visit your home for a visit, to see how they interact.
    Is your own dog well socialized?
    Is he relaxed, friendly, sociable? This will make things much easier if he is.
    If the vibes between them seem good, I dont see why things shouldnt go ahead. Just remember that they will take a few weeks to get completely used to each other. The earlier suggestion to remove any favourite or highly-prized items when the new dog first arrives is good. Similarly seperate beds. Definitely feed well apart initially to make sure there are no issues with food guarding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i had my first dog from a pup (labrador)

we then got our second (4month rottweiller)

We met up in the rescue before taking him and took him in then as a foster to make sure they got on ok..

No problems there, the main thing is, my lab likes her own space, where as he dosent care haha!

we had to praise her when she played with him, or interacted with him to teach her he wasnt just a foster (we foster regularly too!)

id say it took a month for her to fully understand, and now 2 years later, besties!

We feed them separately
    they have their own beds
    both are walked together and separately at times also for their own time with one of us
    always give both a treat when giving them treats/scraps - never just one
    Always welcome both when arrive home

basically everything is done evenly and fairly.. they both seem very happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057477466

heres a thread i made when i was looking for the second.. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement