Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get multiple quotes for what I need (without spamming boards.ie)

Options
  • 08-02-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I’ll be doing some electrical and plumbing work in the next few weeks.

What is the best process to get multiple quotes for what I need done. I presume there is a platform other than boards.ie that would be useful in this regard.

Ideally I’d like to “advertise” (for a reasonable fee or even free) and get multiple quotes in.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Builder007

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭builder007

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Thats a good site, however personally I dont use it for the following.

I found the better trades dont advertise, Word of mouth is enough to keep them busy.

In a site similiar to what you are looking for and like above, the trades have to pay a commision to give a quote.
    Now as I said the trades I found to be good dont pay for advertising, but certainly wont be paying to quote.

Hence, its my opinion, that people on that site, might not be the best in the business or second best.

Keep your ear down, find out who's good, and go ringing around.

If your the main contractor, then thats what you have to do, theres a reason people pay contractors the extra per build.

If you get a good person to do foundation, ask them who they recommend for blocks, ect.
    But keep asking people you know in the trade who's good at this or whos good at that.

Dont forget the reliable quote
    "pay peanuts, you get monkeys"

It's a fair point. thanks. there is probably no harm in doing both as in looking for good trades yourself and making them come back to you with their quote... they you have better choice...

Do you normally sign agreements/contracts with them just to be crystal clear about what's in and what's out of scope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

depends, where are you?
    In dublin it may be normal.
    In mayo, the builder would laugh at ya if ya came to him with a contract to sign.

Advertisement