Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand New of Refurbished

• 08-02-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hello!

Firstly want to apologise for my absolute ignorance with all things tech (which is why I've arrived at boards for some help!)

I have a MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 model and last night it gave me the worst fright that it's about to explode and die on me. Turned it on and most of the screen was red. Any photos with dark backgrounds were red. Thankfully today it's back to normal but I'm considering purchasing a new laptop.

What would the best options be? I've got an iphone 6 (buying the 7Plus soon) so I like how everything syncs.

Money isn't exactly flowing so I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do for my wallet.

1. Would there be much hassle in transferring content if I chose to go non Apple on a new purchase?

2. Would I be mad to consider buying a refurbished (but newer model) Macbook?

3. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tunage wrote: »
    Hello!

Firstly want to apologise for my absolute ignorance with all things tech (which is why I've arrived at boards for some help!)

I have a MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 model and last night it gave me the worst fright that it's about to explode and die on me. Turned it on and most of the screen was red. Any photos with dark backgrounds were red. Thankfully today it's back to normal but I'm considering purchasing a new laptop.

What would the best options be? I've got an iphone 6 (buying the 7Plus soon) so I like how everything syncs.

Money isn't exactly flowing so I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do for my wallet.

1. Would there be much hassle in transferring content if I chose to go non Apple on a new purchase?

2. Would I be mad to consider buying a refurbished (but newer model) Macbook?

3. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Many thanks!

There's a dedicated Mac forum here: Mac. You could report the post and ask a Mod to move it there for you.

I don't know about transferring to a PC, the thoughts of doing exactly that is what has stopped me from changing recently, instead going for an exorbitantly priced Macbook Pro.

Refurbished is every bit as good as new usually. They don't have to have been faulty to be returned, it may be returned for a change of mind. In Apple years ago, the engineers reckoned refurbs went through better quality checks as they had to do it on each machine, not a sample as they did at the factory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple have a few options for transferring data, see here. If you don't have a backup hard drive already, I'd suggest getting one and going the Migration Assistant from Time Machine backup route.

As whiterebel said, refurbs are pretty safe. They are also a great way buying older models if you don't want the latest and greatest. There is, of course, a chance you'll get a lemon, hence the discount, but if so just send it back. Warranty and everything is the same, so there's nothing to worry about.

What Mac are you considering?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Refurb Macbook FTW!

If you can stretch to it, I'd go for a 2015 13" MBP which still has all the useful ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

Thank you everyone!

I'm not even sure what macbook to go for. I love the lightweight Air and I don't need the CD drive so that would be an option. What prices would we be talking for refurbished? So clueless to all this stuff :-/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Advertisement

The MB Air doesn't come with the beautiful retina screen the MacBook Pro and the MacBook have.

That's an absolute dealbreaker in my view.

Will have to do some serious research to see what I actually need and what will suit my budget (which I must work out as well lol!)

I'd be happy to stick with Macbook Pro 13" This one has never given me a days bother until I turned it on the other day and there were red patches all over the screen which made me verrrrrry nervous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Dades wrote: »
    The MB Air doesn't come with the beautiful retina screen the MacBook Pro and the MacBook have.

That's an absolute dealbreaker in my view.

I'd strongly agree with this. Had a MacBook air that seemed fine to me - until I moved over to a retina display MacBook Pro. In terms of resolution and screen real estate, I'd never go back.

So would u guys recommend buying a refurbished Macbook from Apple or would it be ok to chance buying from another source?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tunage wrote: »
    So would u guys recommend buying a refurbished Macbook from Apple or would it be ok to chance buying from another source?

I would only recommend Apple.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't think I'd trust anywhere else for a purchase like this.

Thanks everyone, got the phone changed there recently (iPhone 8) and have the lend of an external hard drive. Lots more research to do before I would fully delve into purchasing. This one is keeping me going for now (fingers crossed). Thank you for all your advices :-)

Advertisement